Deoxys-D (Suicide Lead) [QC 3/3] (Not ready for GP checks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deoxys-D

So yeah, I was experimenting a couple weeks ago with a Deoxys-D set for the dual weather #pokemon challenge. Needless to say, I found this set to be simply amazing, and unlike all of the other Deoxys-D sets, can beat almost every spinner in OU.

[SET]
name: Suicide Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Spikes
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Thunderbolt
move 4: Psycho Boost
item: Fire Gem / Electric Gem
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

-Plays a lot differently from other Deoxys-D sets since it can knock out spinners by itself, as well as other Pokemon
-Sets up Spikes and Stealth Rock extremely easily
-Great surprise factor
-Outruns a lot of the metagame
-Still has bulk to take hits easily
-Hidden Power Fire with Fire Gem OHKOs Scizor and Forretress
-Thunderbolt with Electric Gem can be used to destroy Starmie, who can otherwise handle Deoxys-D easily
-Psycho Boost deals upwards of 75% to Tentacruel and can also OHKO Pokemon such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, Terrakion, and hit a lot of Pokemon hard (Base 140 Power STAB move ftw)

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

-EV spread lets it outrun as much as it needs to while letting it retain some bulk and power
-A Bold nature can be used to let Deoxys-D tank hits more easily
-A Modest nature can be used to let Deoxys-D hit harder
-Can run a physical set with Fire Punch, Superpower, and Max Attack and Speed to KO Tyranitar while still being able to beat Forretress (very useful if you really want to win the weather war, as Tyranitar will not suspect anything)
-Ice Punch is an option on the physical set to destroy Gliscor and Dragonite
-Taunt is an option over Stealth Rock or Spikes if your team already has a Pokemon with one of these moves
-Use Fire Gem for Hidden Power Fire and Electric Gem for Thunderbolt
-Life Orb is an option as well
-Every Pokemon will benefit from this, as hazards make every Pokemon's job easier
-Works best on offensive teams that are fine with setting up hazards at the cost of a Pokemon
-Pokemon that can take out set-up Pokemon that manage to boost on this Deoxys-D are appreciated (main Pokemon that can set up are Volcarona and Dragonite)

I was the one that really made this set before I saw anybody using it but I have to say that you are much better going Adamant with Fire Punch and Ice Punch as you get that guaranteed OHKO to Scizor and Ice Punch prevents Dragonite from setting up. If you run Superpower the problem is that you can still only OHKO Tyranitar after Stealth Rocks. This was really a set designed to abuse Volt-turn as Ice punch allows for you to get the KO on Dragonite with a Scizor bullet punch. Rotom-W can also take out Starmie easily with a Volt Switch and then send Deoxys-D back in. Really with this set if you set up Stealth Rocks and a layer of Spikes you are successful. Terrakion should be mentioned as a great partner as it can kill Tyranitar and loves the Stealth Rock and Spikes support (CB in particular). Ice Punch also allows for you not to be taunt bait to Gliscor without lowering you offensives.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey, i've been using this set lately and it's really good but you need to tweak the evs a bit. You don't need to have so much much speed because the only thing you REALLY need to outrun is scizor, although this spread outruns adamant dnite.

140 HP / 188 SpA / 180 Spe
Bold

This ev spread gives you way more bulk and you aren't losing a significant amount of power either. This set is more for a "surprise" so it may lose its edge if it ends up on site.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Would it be worth considering using this thing with a Life Orb and a Modest nature? You still get an OHKO on standard Choice Band Scizor, and Psycho Boost would hit much, much harder. You would be OHKOing Tentacruel easily, for instance. Obviously it's not so great for Spiking, but still, worth a mention at the very least.

edit: I shouldn't post in the middle of the night. This was a huge understatement. If the Speed is not absolutely necessary this is by far the best option for the set, and IMO the gems should be moved to AC (or Fire Gem, at least).

@ ace combat
The primary purpose of this set is to beat rapid spinners, so I'll just add Ice Punch in AC.

@ Lamppost

kk thanks. I'll make Modest the first slash though since it lets this set hit as hard as possible, which is important since this set lacks Taunt, especially if it gives up Special Attack EVs.

@ jc104

I'll add that in AC.

Up to you completely, but do you think that Magic Coat is viable in place of one of the hazards? It definitely helps against incoming Taunts or Hazards and can keep the opponent guessing. I'm not saying it's awesome main slash material, but I think an AC mention will do. Really good set though.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I think Life Orb should be the first slash as with modest and LO forretress and scizor are both OHKOd and so is Tentacruel wich is well worth the 10% health loss.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Nice set, last time I laddered everybody and their grandma was using this set. Reminds of me Deoxys-S (R.I.P)

QC APPROVED (1/3)

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
o.k clearly some people have been successful with this set but can someone explain to me whats amazing about it. Maybe Im weird but I look at that set and think, wow its set up fodder for like every dragon in the game, and a host of other shit. Obviously Multi Scale Dragonite is the big one since the other set can just Taunt it, while this set HAS to have something on the team that can handle +1 Dragonite with Multiscale intact. Clearly, I am missing something obvious so can someone tell me how to use it correctly lol

That was my biggest argument about not making this set physical. With Ice Punch you can then prevent Dragonite from setting up. I think Shake it Up need to realize that most people do not carry a Scarf Mence and a Abamasnow with Ice Shard to kill the dragons. In order not to carry a Ice Type and a Scarf dragon you really have to make this set go physical with Stealth Rocks, Spikes, Fire Punch to kill Fortress and Scizor, and Ice Punch to not be a set up fodder. If you do carry a good check to Dragonite it preferential to go Special. I honestly think that this set is better at being a lure for Scizor so that your offensive team can use Pokemon weak to him such as Terrakion and Dragons. The main problem with making a set attempting to beat all rapid spinners is that there will always be one that you cannot beat. I think that it is easier to have a Spin blocker on your team than to attempt to kill the Spinners with Deoxys. It is really a good set to lure out and destroy offensive threats and that is why there has been such great success with this set.

Been trying out the physical sets versus the phychoboost-hp fire.
Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

The special set really out-performed the physical set in amount of lures it pulled in. But it needs support for it to work. Which contradicts the point that many suicide leads are for just that. This set gets set-up on way too easily. This fact is compounded by deo-d's lack of power against set-up sweepers. Especially dragons as mentioned before.

This set is a fantastic weapon for ho teams but needs to be played carefully, and team members need to be carefully chosen unlike other suicide leads.

The physical set on the other hand is a far easier tool to use. Spinners can't be koed which is a main goal of the set though.

I agree with Ace Combat on this one. Not only can you still lure in Scizor and attack it (Fire Punch), but you also prevent Dragonite from setting up on you (Ice Punch) and if you opt to not use Spikes or SR if you team has another user you can prevent Tyranitar from Crunching you (Superpower).

I believe Physical is better imo.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
deo-d gets ice beam, so if you want to run an ice move to beat dragons, specially based is still 100% better.

Ojama

Banned deucer.
Considering Taunt is also important. Of course you'd lose an important move like Psycho Boost or Hp Fire but since its a suicide, your team would probably be offensive, so you could add a Gengar@wow or a Magnezone (for forry) as teammates.
Last thing you could add is superpower over psycho boost or hp fire since it kills tyranitar and hits heatran. Menthal herb is also an interessting item over fire gem or electric gem if you're facing another deo-d with taunt. Good set.

EDIT : Forry isnt OHKO but 2HKO since it has Sturdy, so maybe you could consider rocky helmet cause if forry has 1hp left and decides to spin, it couldnt do it and would die with rocky helmet.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
As someone who got wrecked by this set's ability to lure stuff in and kill it, I can attest to it being very affective. The only thing I really have to ask is why max out speed? You aren't taunting anything, and maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I don't know of anything that you need to outspeed, so why the given ev spread? I think you should lower your speed so that you outrun standard Adamant Haxorus and put the rest in HP.

If taunt were to be added it could probably be slashed over Stealth Rock.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
As someone who got wrecked by this set's ability to lure stuff in and kill it, I can attest to it being very affective. The only thing I really have to ask is why max out speed? You aren't taunting anything, and maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I don't know of anything that you need to outspeed, so why the given ev spread? I think you should lower your speed so that you outrun standard Adamant Haxorus and put the rest in HP.

If taunt were to be added it could probably be slashed over Stealth Rock.
ya why did you change your ev spread back? max max does absolutely nothing for you

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
o.k clearly some people have been successful with this set but can someone explain to me whats amazing about it. Maybe Im weird but I look at that set and think, wow its set up fodder for like every dragon in the game, and a host of other shit. Obviously Multi Scale Dragonite is the big one since the other set can just Taunt it, while this set HAS to have something on the team that can handle +1 Dragonite with Multiscale intact. Clearly, I am missing something obvious so can someone tell me how to use it correctly lol
The way I've seen it used is as a wishbone lead, a lead that doesn't come out on the first turn, instead you send in a pokemon with volt-switch or u-turn in order to scout before you send it in. It comes in around turn 5 or 6 which in turn will cause them to bring in a pokemon like Scizor in order to OHKO it with U-turn or a rapid spinner. The lured pokemon is Koed. It's good because most Deoxys-D are the standard fast spiker@rocky helmet and this set is unexpected.

Most Dragonite don't want to set-up on Doexys-D because the standard Deoxys-D runs Rocky Helmet which will break magic scale. This set can use psycho boost to break Magic Scale, and then it can be revenge killed by priority or a choice scarf.

I've used this set for a while and it's pretty good. Though I didn't like how dangerous Dragonite can be against it, I was usually able to deal with it.

The only thing I'd like to suggest is to make Fire Punch and Ice Punch the suggestions for the physical counterpart mentioned in AC because if you're giving up on the ability to cripple Tentacruel, you might as well exchange it for the Dragons.

QC APPROVED 2/3

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Innovative set, ShakeItUp :o

-EV spread lets it outrun as much as it needs to while letting it retain some bulk and power
You can be specific here and say that it outruns up to Adamant Haxorus
-Ice Punch is an option on the physical set to destroy Gliscor and Dragonite
Mention Ice Beam for the primary special set
Life Orb is an option as well
I would elaborate here that LO is beneficial for boosting the power of Psycho Boost without losing out too much on the power of its auxillary move. With Life Orb, Psycho Boost has a chance to OHKO Haxorus and Tentacruel! Warn the readers that Life Orb cuts out on Deoxys-D's bulk, which would hinder the set-up of hazards.
-Pokemon that can take out set-up Pokemon that manage to boost on this Deoxys-D are appreciated (main Pokemon that can set up are Volcarona and Dragonite)
Specify such Pokemon - Ice Shard Mamoswine for ESpeed Dragonite or Scarf Landorus for Volcarona, etc.

~ Also don't forget to mention Espeon, which counters Deoxys-D.
~ Consider suggesting Rotom-W as a teammate to deal with Tentacruel / Starmie and for checking Dragonite.

QC Approved (3/3)

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I don't see why you need to outspeed Haxorus, unless your running physical variant with Ice Punch. With the special attacking spread, I would change timid to modest, and attack a Life Orb. The Life Orb grants Psycho Booost around a 56% chance to OHKO Tentacruel (standard spread) and its pretty much guaranteed after rocks. Scizor is still OHKO'ed with Hidden Power [Fire], and I would transfer some of that speed so you outspeed adamant Dragonite at +0. Anyways, love the set, the only problems with my changes is loss in health, but I would take remaining EVs and invest in HP so it would semi-make up for it. Hope this gets approved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)