Roman in Moscow (RU team RMT peaked #5)

ladder ranking (I know it says #6, but I forgot to screenshot when I reached #5)
Introduction
This is my second RMT (the first one I took down because no one would rate it). If you couldn't tell already, I'm a pretty big Nicki Minaj fan. This team was inspired by a few things but mostly by the song Roman In Moscow. This team was built before claydol, sharpedo, etc went UU so the team is may seem strange in the current meta. The team peaked at Number 5, and though it may not be my best team, it is definitely my favorite as it fits perfectly with my playstyle; Balanced. After I got bored/tired of playing UU I started playing RU. Everytime I would play RU I found myself using Sub-bulk up Gallade because it saved my ass so many times I cannot even count. This time was no different and I decided to use Sub-Bulk Up Gallade as the basis of my team. After reading Daylight by Zebraiken I was inspired to use Rotom, though a different set. The rest of the team built itself, really. I'd also like to credit Zebraiken for his RMT format.

In-Depth

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Gyro Ball

I used Steelix to help stop Moxie Honchkrow who was a big threat during the time I made this team. Now that Honchkrow is gone, I'm open to changes. Although I'm considering changes, I love Steelix for the pure fact that it's so damn bulky. It suprises me everytime it tanks a super effective physical hit and dishes out so much with its Earthquakes (For example; Adamant Choice Band Gallade's Close Combat does 76.27%-90.68%). The moves are quite obvious and self-explanatory. Earthquake is for STAB, It doesn't really help me much other than to hit things for neutral damage. You don't typically see Gyro Ball on Steelix (At least I don't), but its not a bad move in my opinion (Though I'm open to another move for it). I opted for Roar just because Dragon Tail has a chance to miss it helps me phaze out Rotom (Who could Will-O-Wisp and proceed to destroy Steelix) and Bouffalant who destroys my team. Thankfully with Steelix's typing it serves as an out when Rotom subs. Stealth Rocks is pretty much standard on Steelix, no need to explain other than the fact that it helps destroy Moltres.

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

I don't actually know why I opted to use Clefable, but I'm pretty happy I did. She is definitely one of the best Special Walls in RU, if not the best. She helps me repel many of the special walls in RU. With Wish I can pass off 197 hp wishes to my other team mates which allows me heals my other pokemon and Clefable. Not only does it do that, it allows me to heal off most of the damage opposing pokemon dish out to the pokemon I swap in so I can proceed to set up. Protect is to receive the wish without having to take a hit and helps me stall out Nasty Plot Trick Room Cofagrigus with Toxic. Seismic Toss is to take out 100 hp chuncks from my opponent. Rotom does get a free sub whenever it faces Clefable, but I usually just Wish and then pass it off to Steelix to Roar it out, or to Lilligant to Quiver Dance.

Qwilfish (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave

Qwilfish is definitely one of my favorite Pokemon to use in RU, and for good reason. It pretty much takes on all of the fighting types in RU (bar Gallade), and Entei and can set up both Toxic Spikes and Spikes which helps me with my weakness to Golurk and Bouffalant. If Omastar switches into Qwilfish in hopes of a quick sweep I just paralyze it with Thunderwave and proceed to get up one or more layers of Spikes or Toxic Spikes, depending on the set (Life orb Modest Omastar at +2 does 95.81%-112.87% with hidden power Grass, Timid Life Orb Omastar at +2 does 87.43%-102.99%, Timid White Herb at +2 does 67.37%-79.34%, and Modest White Herb does 73.65%-86.83%). Spikes is supposed help Gallade and Lilligant sweep, and Toxic Spikes is to help Gallade set up as it subs and bulk up. Waterfall is a good move to put on Qwilfish, not only for STAB, but along with Thunderwave it forms a para-flinch combo. Thunderwave is to help cripple pokemon not affected by Toxic Spikes but it also helps Gallade get free bulk ups and substitutes.

Lilligant (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Lilligant is also one of my favorite pokemon to use in the RU tier. It helped one of my older teams peak to #1 because it is so good with proper support. Naturally I chose it for this team aswell mainly to destroy claydol (Who was RU at the time I built this team). I am thinking about changing Lilligant to Choice Specs Sceptile for the immediate power, but so far Lilligant has proven her worth. Sometimes I lead with Lilligant so I can render one pokemon useless for a portion of the battle if not for the whole entire match. Once I clear away counters like Ferroseed, she can pretty much sweep entire teams with only one Quiver Dance. Giga Drain is better than Petal Dance imo because it doesn't force me to be locked into one move, plus it helps with Lilligants survivability especially when statused with Burn or Toxic. Hidden Power Rock is to beat Moltres.

Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 240 HP / 224 SDef / 44 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Psycho Cut

The star of the show, Gallade. Everytime I use this thing I always opt for the Sub-Bulk up Gallade because it destroys a lot of the tier by itself (Like Claydol which was considered a counter). It's amazing special defense allows me to setup or take a hit and KO weak special attackers. Substitute allows me to avoid status and helps me set up against walls (Like Slowking who cannot OHKO a substitute with Scald, after bulking up Psyshock cannot break a sub). Drain Punch is an amazing move, especially on Gallade. Once I hit a pokemon, I gain back a portion of health, which adds survivability and makes Gallade that much harder to take down. Psycho Cut is a filler move and I find myself rarely using it (No pun intended lol). I'm looking for possible changes for Psycho Cut (maybe Shadow Sneak).

Rotom @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Pain Split

This pokemon has saved my ass so many times its not even funny. Sometime it takes down the majority of my opponents teams, opening holes for Gallade and Lilligant to sweep. I run timid on Rotom to outspeed Moltres who would destroy my team other wise. I was tempted to use Zebraiken's Rotom set, but I opted for the good 'ol Sub Pain split set and every since I've used it I haven't looked back. The main goal for Rotom is to destroy Mandibuzz and Moltres, along with weakened ghosts like Dusknoir and Cofagrigus. Whats great about this Sub Pain Split Rotom is that when I sub against Clefable or Lanturn, I can keep Subing/Thunderbolting/Shadowballing until I'm at a low health where I Pain Split to near full health to where I can spam said moves even more. I think I'm going to try Zebraiken's Rotom set so I can have a more reliable spin blocker because Hitmonchan's attack hurt this Rotom. Normally when Hitmonchan enters the field to Rapid Spin, its weakened by spikes and poisoned by Toxic Spikes where I can switch Rotom in and just Thunderbolt it for the KO.

Threat List
Golurk This thing is so annoying. It gets a sub up against Clefable and can proceed to hit my entire team for massive amounts of damage (Focus Punch Steelix and Clefable, Earthquakes Qwilfish, Focus Punches/Shadow Punches Lilligant, Shadow Punch Gallade and Rotom). My best shot to kill this thing is to put up Toxic Spikes and Intimidate it with Qwilfish then just switch around trying to avoid being destroyed by it. Normally I try to preserve Rotom, Lilligant, and Qwilfish so I can lessen the destruction.
Bouffalant Swords Dance Bouffalant does a number to my team. Gallade cannot outspeed, Lilligant is useless against it, Rotom cannot do much, Qwilfish gets setup on and dies to Earthquake, Clefable gets destroyed by head charge, and Steelix cannot do much besides Roar. My best option against this thing is to weaken it with Spikes and Toxic Spikes and Roar it out with Steelix, or Paralyze it with Qwilfish and hit it with Drain Punch from Gallade.
Sceptile Swords Dance Sceptile is not a problem since I can just Gyro Ball it with Steelix, or Paralyze it with Qwilfish, then proceed to set up hazards. The Choice Specs Sceptile is my problem. Leaf Storm blows so many holes in my team and my only resist is Lilligant who is not bulky in the slightest. My best bet against it is to fodder something then deal some damage with either Rotom or Gallade.
TangrowthThe typical bulky Tangrowth is no problem for this team. However, the uncommon Specs Tangrowth pretty much does the same thing as Specs Sceptile. I faced this thing on the ladder and it pretty much blew through my entire team and with Regenerator it makes it that much harder to beat. Leaf storm does about 70% to clefable and is able to two hit ko. I have no real way to beat it other than to put it to sleep with lilligant and hope for the best.

Conclusion Though this is not the best team I have ever made, its definitely one of my favorite teams to use in the RU tier. I would like to thank anyone who actually reads my entire RMT since most people didnt last time. This team peaked in the top ten within a day or so and its been so effective in the way it operates, the use of Spikes and Toxic Spikes to wear my opponents down to where Lilligant or Gallade can slice through. In the same way I've been inspired to play RU, I hope to inspire other people to try out this tier.

Hey there real quick rate,

If you want more immediate power use a Life Orb Sceptile with a moveset of Giga Drain / Leaf Storm / Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Ice]. This set gives more immediate power and you can still switch attacks which really helps punch holes. Leaf Storm is to smash switch-ins. Giga Drain helps heal of the recoil from Life Orb. Focus Blast hits Bouffalant and can be helpful if Bouffalant switches in on a grass move and thinks your Choice Specs. Hidden Power [Ice] hits Grass types like Tangrowth and Sceptile.

Hope rate helped.

I've played this team before and something I've noticed is that your team is rather weak to status on one occasion you forfeited to me because I got a burn on your gallade. To remedy this a cleric such as Lanturn, Uxie or Miltank may be beneficial to the team. Each of them have their own benefits so I encourage their testing. Also your gallade set from experience using it SubBu gallade is great but you're hard countered by spiritomb so use shadow sneak. The priority will be an excellent addition to the team.

@DFrog Thanks for the rate! I think I could try out Heal Bell on Clefable over Toxic (Though Toxic helps me take out Spiritomb) Since I have Toxic Spikes. I will definitely try out the Pokemon that you suggested over Steelix since Uxie and Miltank get Stealth Rocks and Heal Bell.

Solid team here with good synergy.

Two suggestions:

First off, change Psycho Cut to Shadow Sneak. Dual STABs are nice but the coverage isn't great- especially with the plethora of common Psychics in RU. SS gives Gallade perfect coverage as well as useful priority against speedy foes like Sceptile and Rotom. It also gives you a super effective attack against Golurk, who you mentioned gives your team trouble.

Second, with MoxieKrow not being an issue anymore, try swapping Steelix out for Uxie. As DFrog said, this team would love a cleric and Uxie has far more utility than Steelix as well as better overall bulk. Something like this would be a good fit for your team:

Uxie @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Yawn/Toxic
- Signal Beam/Psychic/U-Turn

You keep Rocks, gain a cleric, and can still pseudo-phase with Yawn or cripple walls with Toxic. Yawn is preferred as you already have Toxic Spikes. Signal Beam can hit Claydol (looking to spin on Uxie) & Tangrowth super effectively. Psychic for STAB or U-Turn to scout. If you use U-Turn make sure to change the nature to Impish.

Hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)