np: NU Stage 3 - Riders on the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tentacool is a fucking horrible mon
fixed

why?

because as raseri said, tentacool just kind of.... sits there.

poison types are very abundant in NU making tspikes useless a lot of the time

and it has trouble spinning... at least from what ive seen, tentacool is nothing compared to its big brother in OU, especially when its 2hkoed by weak/resisted physical attacks (sawk's close combat and shit like that), and several special attackers can set up on it/hit it super effectively (magmortar, jynx, and gardevoir are examples) and the fact that it has no offensive presence and anything that doesnt mind toxic or has sub can simply set up on it.

if rapid spin and haze were legal then.... maybe

but tentacool is just..... no, ew, get it away from me

skorupi checks fighting types and can taunt something and set tspikes before it dies! it must be incredible!!!!!!!! its even immune to critical hits!!!!!!!!

notice how skorupi is not incredible, and is not used, while tentacool is for some wild reason, they are similar statwise and in viability

252 Atk Choice Band Darumaka (+Atk) Flare Blitz vs 252 HP/252 Def Eviolite Tentacool (+Def): 113.03% - 133.1%

tentacool so gud

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Well, the only thing Tentacool does admirably is how it checks rain teams, as they tend to not have a Poison-type / Tentacool can take boosted Surfs. Tentacool actually can't take much from Sun-boosted special Fire-type moves, either, so really its use is limited to generic weather teams that happen to be 100% helpless to T-spikes. Having a solid switch-in for Ludicolo's pretty good, though - I really can't think of much else that can switch into it so reliably.

Using Tentacool for the sole purpose of countering Ludicolo sounds about as good as me trying to counter Gorebyss with a Lombre a few rounds ago.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well, the only thing Tentacool does admirably is how it checks rain teams.
More like just Gorebyss, because everything else including Ludicolo defeats Tentacool without even trying.

More like just Gorebyss, because everything else including Ludicolo defeats Tentacool without even trying.

and seismitoed if you dont switch in on earth power. That's about the end of tentacool's abilitys.

Tentacool does have some use on stall teams, but since those are hard to pull off I really don't think he's worth it this meta

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Not quite. Standard Ludicolo is something like Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Giga Drain/Synthesis, which loses because of Liquid Ooze. +2 Gorebyss Hydro Pump in rain does 70%+ according to Molk.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I need to make it clearer next time.It can beat a Ludicolo set but not all of them, and SD Ludicolo( I actually faced this like 5 times) OHKOes with Nature Power/boosted Seed Bomb/Waterfall in rain, not the best set I know but it can defeat Tentacool if it is used for whatever reason.

And the calc for Hydro Pump in rain vs Tentacool doing near 70% damage is counting LO that is not seen in more than 3/4 of Gorebyss( | Item | 23.5 | Life Orb)

654 Atk vs 492 Def & 284 HP (120 Base Power): 127 - 150 (44.72% - 52.82%) no LO
654 Atk vs 492 Def & 284 HP (120 Base Power): 165 - 195 (58.10% - 68.66%) LO
Both with Rain up.

252 Atk Choice Band Darumaka (+Atk) Flare Blitz vs 252 HP/252 Def Eviolite Tentacool (+Def): 113.03% - 133.1%

tentacool so gud
Molk... I accidentally did that calc with Crits on, so yeah, Flare Blitz does half that... rofl

Now before I make an irrelevant post, LO + Hydro Pump Gorebyss is practically inexistent.

| Item | 23.5 | Life Orb
| Move | 7.5 | Hydro Pump​

And who knows what the percentage of Gorebyss having both LO + Hydro Pump is, less than 7.5%.

If my math is correct, only 97 Gorebyss ran Hydro Pump last month (rounded up) out of 1287.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Couple that with the fact that getting a +2 Gorebyss in Rain while still being healthy is pretty hard to do. Tentacool still sucks though.

i've been using this set in RU and i guess it can work in NU:

"Rampant Revenge"

Rampardos @choice scarf
Mold Breaker, Jolly

Ev: 4 Hp/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Stone Edge
Superpower
Earthquake/Zen Headbutt/Fire Punch
Pain Split

The main idea is that rampardos forces switches, so you could try your luck with your coverage or try to replenish this beast's health.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not quite. Standard Ludicolo is something like Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Giga Drain/Synthesis, which loses because of Liquid Ooze. +2 Gorebyss Hydro Pump in rain does 70%+ according to Molk.

well

tentacool WILL get tspikes up, and spin, but it will still eventually lose to ludicolo, because ludi has recovery, while tenta does not.

and sorry tennis that calc was counting LO x_x lol

also rampardos doesnt learn pain split ;_;

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
well

tentacool WILL get tspikes up, and spin, but it will still eventually lose to ludicolo, because ludi has recovery, while tenta does not.

To be honest, if Tentacool gets both layers of Toxic Spikes up and gets off a Rapid Spin, it's done far better than what you really should expect it to do. I would count that as a win for Tentacool, even if Ludicolo KOes it in the long run.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
yeah, whenever i face tentacool it either sets up one layer of tspikes and dies, or spins/fails to spin and dies.

it has been really underwhelming when i have faced it, and has never gotten both layers of tspikes up against me in one switch in so i guess tentacool wins there if it gets two layers up.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm inclined to disagree with you all and defend Tenta, but I'll hold off until I've tested it a bit more.

I will say that I'm quite surprised at all these negative responses. Tentacool reminds me of Cryogonal: A Rapid Spinning special tank (kinda) that you have to keep away from physical attacks.

I'm inclined to disagree with you all and defend Tenta, but I'll hold off until I've tested it a bit more.

I will say that I'm quite surprised at all these negative responses. Tentacool reminds me of Cryogonal: A Rapid Spinning special tank (kinda) that you have to keep away from physical attacks.
Except that Tentacool has no immunity, no recovery, and isn't exactly fast.

well

u sure? My rampy is using it on PO

Molk

Godlike Usmash
yeah it doesnt learn pain split through any method, must be a glitch with your PO

edit: wat, anyways, rampardos's HP is too high to utilize pain split anyway, especially with a choice item.

my mistake

yeah it doesnt learn pain split through any method, must be a glitch with your PO

edit: wat, anyways, rampardos's HP is too high to utilize pain split anyway, especially with a choice item.

my mistake

The fact is: Rampardos takes a lot of damage due to its low defenses, so refilling it and taking some of the "counter" Hp is something to be considered i think. lets you switch in and out more freely =P

The problem with Pain Split Rampardos is I'd much rather be killing things. You have Base 165 Attack and one of the best STAB's. Might as well use it.

Also guys you should try Mixed DD Lapras, the set I use is:

Lapras (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 16 HP / 216 Atk / 36 SAtk / 240 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Frustration
- Ice Beam

It can be used as a lure for either physical or special walls depending on how you play it in the match. Spam Waterfall and Dragon Dance early and trick a Tangela into switching in only to be OHKO'd by Ice beam. OR spam Ice Beam early and lure in Cryogonal only to be smashed by Waterfall. It's not a great cleaner but mid game it can do a lot of damage and weaken defensive cores for something like Shelgon to clean up! It's worth a shot for people who are looking for something new to test

The problem with Pain Split Rampardos is I'd much rather be killing things. You have Base 165 Attack and one of the best STAB's. Might as well use it.

i'd say it depends on the way you battle, if you've switched on a resisted atack for instance(read fake out), and you know there are counters, for example alomola(ok this is the best case scenario but still) you could try going for pain split and regain some health (and gaining in this process more switch ins)

musharna is seriously amazing in this meta. I've tested a bunch of sets so far like Specs, LO, CM Stored Power and Offensive CM and they have all been amazing. Great physical bulk, power and recovery really make it great.

I feel it outclasses Duosion in this meta because it can has more than one viable item slot. And has Stored Power to differentiate itself from CM Duosion(who is slightly bulkier than Musharna). Synchronise is also an interesting ability; I've used it to Poison many Quagsires and then proceed to Rest / Heal Bell my own toxic away.

So what do you guys think are the best Pokemon this meta? I'd have to include Musharna and Absol near the top of my list; since they are both incredible right now

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Building on what Raseri said, I feel the core of Absol/Musharna/Gurdurr is very powerful right now. They all check each others counters and can be very hard to play around in the right hands. Not to mention the amount of options Musharna and Absol have.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
So what do you guys think are the best Pokemon this meta?
Absol would definitely be one of my top choices when it comes to top threats this meta. It Absol-utely demolishes weather and other offensive teams with a powerful Sucker Punch. People are starting to take Absol less seriously due to three big threats dropping down from RU. Also, because of the threat of Charizard and Ludicolo, Alomomola and Tangela have been seeing less usage. Without having to worry about those two Pokemon, Absol can sweep a lot easier.

Another top threat that was overlooked because of the RU dropdowns is Magmortar. At first glance, Charizard seems to outclass Magmortar in numerous roles, namely as a special attacker due to dual stabs and Roost, as well as a sun sweeper thanks to Solar Power. While the latter is true, Magmortar still boasts superior coverage thanks to Thunderbolt; this allows it to hit water type extremely hard. Magmortar also lacks a 4x Stealth Rock weakness which means that it can switch into walls while Rocks are on the field a lot easier. Vital Spirit makes it a more reliable counter to bulky grass by giving it the ability to avoid sleep. Lastly, a higher special attack allows Magmortar to plow through some thing easier than Charizard, such as Regirock, Miltank, and Lickilicky. Magmortar's role as a top threat in the meta has not changed much since last round. It is still one of the premier wall-breakers in the tier, and plows through any team lacking a bulky fire type or one of either Specially Defensive Seismitoad/Quagsire or Altaria, depending on choice of Hidden Power. I've run over so many teams with Magmortar alone simply because people have dismissed it as a threat and use a bulky water such as Lapras or Wartortle to check fire types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)