Smogon Live Tournament 4/22/2012[BW OU and VGC 2012][Ties in both tiers]

What tier do you want to play for this Live tourney

• BW OU

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • BW UU

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • VGC 2012

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Other(Please post the desired Metagame)

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion

*Approved by Ditto* *Thanks to UPPERDECKER for the Banner*

2/26/2012[VGC2012][Won by Nightblade7000] | 3/18/12[VGC12][Won by Nightblade7000] | 4/1/2012 [VGC12][Won by Cybertron] | 4/8/2012[VGC 2012][Won by NightBlade]

The Smogon Live Tournaments are on the IRC channel #livetourney. We play these tournaments relatively often so keep your eye on Wifi Tournaments for a thread titled similarly to this one. Also, if enough people are on as well as someone to run the tournament, we could have one at any time. So its a good idea to stay in #livetourney or #smogonwifi participate in discussion and have fun!

Wondering how to get there? Here are some guides:
Download for Windows, download for Windows and Linux, Download for Mac.

Or to directly join #livetourney in browser just click #livetourney.

Hello. The live tourney will be this sunday the 22nd at 2 pm eastern time. The tournament metagames will be BW OU and VGC 2012. BW OU will have a ban on Wish events and Body Slam Jirachi. See below post for more details.

Rules:
1. Don't be mad about a loss, even if there was mad hax in a game.
2. Stay in the channel throughout the entire duration of the tournament, and if you can't then make sure you let me know.
3. Watch for possible announcements the host may give

Signups will start at 2:00 pm (GMT -5) on April 22nd, 2012.​

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Wow, looks like we had a good amount of people vote for this! This is the kind of results I've wanted to see when having these run. Though getting these kinds of numbers of people voting did get me thinking of ways to satisfy the main public with these tourney's.

I'm gonna start having once a month threads like these getting peoples input on what you guys wanna play and take the top 2 voted on tiers and have a dual tourney that week. I'll be hosting like normal with the help of user V4 this week. We'll be co-hosting this on on irc channel #livetourney on synirc.net. If you go to #smogonwifi like normal we'll try to get you directed to this channel to keep organization.

Now the tiers we'll be hosting this week are BW OU and VGC 2012. V4 will be moderating the OU tournament and putting together pairings while I'm doing the same for the VGC 2012 part. I want to be clear that if you voted for this poll, please show up. We will cap participants at either 8 or 16, anything in between will be made a sub. V4 will post an OU banlist that him and I have discussed for this tourney to try and keep things legitimate. Stalling for this tourney will not be encouraged as we do work within a limited time frame and have lives outside of this.

Other than that follow the rules and banlist in the next post and have fun! We'll see you Sunday! Any questions feel free to post, I might've missed something

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
To keep it fair for those who dont wish to use hacked pokemon, a few movesets will be banned.

All PCNY Wish Events
Body Slam Jirachi *Secret Power makes a fine alternative*

Another thing to note if you do use legal hacks is that they must at least be able to be uploaded in Battle Videos.

To keep it fair for those who dont wish to use hacked pokemon, a few movesets will be banned.

All PCNY Wish Events

Another thing to note if you do use legal hacks is that they must at least be able to be uploaded in Battle Videos.
Wait so we cant use standard SP Def Jirachi or any pokemon that got Wish from Gen3? :/
I don't see the point in abritraily banning Body Slam. It gets it as a move tutor from Gen 3 so it isn't completely inaccessible. Jirachi is an important and balanced pokemon in the metagame and I see no reason to nerf it for the tournament just because some people may have issues with it.

Guess i have to use a new team or withdraw my participation.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Wait so we cant use standard SP Def Jirachi or any pokemon that got Wish from Gen3? :/
I don't see the point in abritraily banning Body Slam. It gets it as a move tutor from Gen 3 so it isn't completely inaccessible. Jirachi is an important and balanced pokemon in the metagame and I see no reason to nerf it for the tournament just because some people may have issues with it.

Guess i have to use a new team or withdraw my participation.
Yes you can use SpD Jirachi, Just with Secret Power instead. (70 BP, 30% Chance to Paralyze). Those Wish events are beyond rare so people cant obtain those as easy as a majority of other pokemon.

If you feel you must withdraw then I'm sorry to hear that.

Yes you can use SpD Jirachi, Just with Secret Power instead. (70 BP, 30% Chance to Paralyze). Those Wish events are beyond rare so people cant obtain those as easy as a majority of other pokemon.

If you feel you must withdraw then I'm sorry to hear that.
Well I find it kind of odd that these bans are completely arbitrary and have no real purpose.
The Wish thing I can understand because they are beyond rare, but why Body Slam? There seems to me that there is no explainable reason for its ban considering you will allow Secret Power, which is basically a similar move with a (slightly) lower base power. Can there be an explanation for the outside of the normal ruleset?

V4Victini

再起不能
Well I find it kind of odd that these bans are completely arbitrary and have no real purpose.
The Wish thing I can understand because they are beyond rare, but why Body Slam? There seems to me that there is no explainable reason for its ban considering you will allow Secret Power, which is basically a similar move with a (slightly) lower base power. Can there be an explanation for the outside of the normal ruleset?
Because the only way to obtain a Jirachi in 3rd Gen is via Pokemon Channel/Colosseum Bonus Disc or One Time Event like PCNY. So they're also very rare.
Secret Power is a TM in Gen IV and the Jirachi Event over wifi makes that a much more common option.

Both the wish events and all 3rd gen Jirachi events are currently impossible to RNG. The ban on Body Slam Jirachi is so users who use legal hacks don't have an advantage against users who took their time RNG abusing one (currently only possible in the 4th generation).

Biosci

Danger!?
Just show up at 2pm est this sunday in #livetourney on synirc.net and you can play. However to let each of the tourney's go by quicker, people will only be allowed to enter one tier at a time.

Both the wish events and all 3rd gen Jirachi events are currently impossible to RNG. The ban on Body Slam Jirachi is so users who use legal hacks don't have an advantage against users who took their time RNG abusing one (currently only possible in the 4th generation).
Ahhh ok. Makes sense.

One last question!
How long do these things normally last? I have exams and such to study for and (hopefully) I want to be able to do both so I was curious how long the tourney usually lasts. 2-3 hours? all day?

Biosci

Danger!?
It really depends on people to be around and get their matches done in a timely manner. For the live tourney's we've had so far they've lasted 2 hours at max, and that was vgc which is a pretty quick metagame. OU will surely last at least 15-30 minutes to get each match done. Expect about 3 hours for OU and 2 hours for VGC.

Also both tourney's are going on at the same time, so you either play in one or the other.

It really depends on people to be around and get their matches done in a timely manner. For the live tourney's we've had so far they've lasted 2 hours at max, and that was vgc which is a pretty quick metagame. OU will surely last at least 15-30 minutes to get each match done. Expect about 3 hours for OU and 2 hours for VGC.

Also both tourney's are going on at the same time, so you either play in one or the other.
Awesome. Good to know.
See you all (OU players) on the battlefield that day. >:]

Biosci

Danger!?
As well, if anyone just wants to hang out in the #livetourney chat anytime the weeks before any tourney you're more than welcome. Me and V4 are usually there so if you have questions just join and talk!

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus

All PCNY Wish Events

Ban Tickle Wobbuffet while you're at it. It's exclusive to a fairly obscure JP-only 3rd gen event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)