Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volt Switch is for luring and trapping spin blockers and Magic Bouncers. That alone makes it useful. I can't really see Counter being useful myself, the time I can see it being used is on Outraging Dragons (and you're better off setting hazards in that time) or late game when your opponent is getting desperate and can only hit Forretress with physical attacks. 90% of the time, especially early game, Forretress is taking random HP [Fire]s... I'd rather keep Volt Switch and swap Gyro Ball for Counter.
...hmm. You make some valid points, I hadn't thought of that before. As far as Counter's usefulness goes, opportunities to properly use it are few and far between I admit, but the value of having it when it's needed is definitely appreciated. I also try to avoid letting my Forry take HP Fires or Flamethrowers or the like as much as I can so that Forry has more time to set up and whatnot. As I said, it's not so much for countering Outrages as it is for anticipating setup sweepers like Conkeldurr (who admittedly isn't used as much anymore) and taking them out of the picture a la Explosion without actually killing Forry. Sturdy Counter is well worth having IMO.

Volt Switch AND Counter is an interesting idea, though... I hadn't considered getting rid of Gyro Ball, though now that I think about it, it doesn't tend to do me too many favors, hmm... Sow what about this?

Forretress @ Lefties
Careful/Impish Nature, 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Counter

I might try that set out, see how it does.

I think signal beam might be better than shadow ball since it hits celebi harder (68,75% chance to OHKO if uninvested in defenses) while being marginally weaker vs the lati twins.

good point there, also, the haxy chance to confuse is as much good as the other chance to lower sp def. I'll try it out... have collected a decent amount of shards in platinum now :)

lead Honchkrow? maybe

i believe evs and held item is very flexible with this set but this how mine is setup

200 att / 58 sp att / 252 speed
Mild / life orb / moxie

Sucker Punch
Brave bird
Hp fire/roost/ superpower
Mirror Move
mirror move is what people aren't expecting, which is why lead with it, theres really no good reason to taunt a honchckrow since majority are choiced, as i mentioned the set is very flexible, you can give an expert belt to bluff the scarf, superluck if you want to raise your chances for the crit and opens the option of superpower which you would obviously switch to max att adamant.

What does mirror move accomplish specifically? Is it supposed to get you a set-up move or something?

My addition is the following:

Linoone @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Gluttony (for the odd berry)
Jolly Nature, 252 Att / 4 HP / 252 Spe
- Switcheroo/Trick (Your choice in aesthetics!)
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Dig/Seed Bomb/Shadow Claw

This cute little fella does wonders for me. Switch an enemy on a boosting move shutting them down, and as they switch Belly Drum and begin pounding your opponent. Dig can stall for time to get back up to full health in the (pretty damn common) event that you get leftovers in the switch and deals with some pesky steel types, and Seed Bomb/ Shadow Claw can be used to tailor to your specific needs on the team.

This set works in unbelievably great tandem with Magnezone, nabbing the practically inevitable steel types before they can flee the scene. Not only does this have sweeping potential, but it also is a respectable revenge killer later on, assuming it survives. Obviously there

pretty much and setup your own hazards with mirror move, it takes prediction but i believe it pays off, snagging a nasty plot from azelf or a rapid spin from a blastoise is helpful

Stealth Rock isn't copyable by mirror move. In fact, status moves in general are not copied by mirror move; it is for copying attacking moves. Snatch is more like what you're thinking, but that is incompatible with moxie and still doesn't apply to hazards.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Reuniclus @ Life OrbTrait: Magic Guard
Quiet Nature, 252 SpA /160 HP /96 Def
- Trick Room
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

I think this is a better use of reuniclus's EV's. The strategydex currently recommends 192 HP EV's and 64 Def EV's with this set. This puts you at 409 HP if my math is correct. The HP EV's for this EV spread will put you at 401 HP (if my math is correct), which lets you survive 5 seismic tosses from the pink blobs.

What does mirror move accomplish specifically? Is it supposed to get you a set-up move or something?

My addition is the following:

Linoone @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Gluttony (for the odd berry)
Jolly Nature, 252 Att / 4 HP / 252 Spe
- Switcheroo/Trick (Your choice in aesthetics!)
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Dig/Seed Bomb/Shadow Claw

This cute little fella does wonders for me. Switch an enemy on a boosting move shutting them down, and as they switch Belly Drum and begin pounding your opponent. Dig can stall for time to get back up to full health in the (pretty damn common) event that you get leftovers in the switch and deals with some pesky steel types, and Seed Bomb/ Shadow Claw can be used to tailor to your specific needs on the team.

This set works in unbelievably great tandem with Magnezone, nabbing the practically inevitable steel types before they can flee the scene. Not only does this have sweeping potential, but it also is a respectable revenge killer later on, assuming it survives. Obviously there
Choice Scarf seems kinda redundant on this set. Linoone already out speeds most pokemon in its tier.

The point of the scarf isn't the added speed. It's to trick it, locking the opponent into a harmless move giving you the chance to set up

tehy

Banned deucer.
I'm pretty sure that they can switch moves, meaning that they would most likely just attack and kill you. But i forget how trick mechanic work this gen.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm pretty sure that they can switch moves, meaning that they would most likely just attack and kill you.
They can't actually switch moves; the bigger problem is that they will probably already be attacking to hit Linoone at the same time as you use Trick, and there is no way Linoone is taking two hits without dropping below 50%.
(So, Sitrus Berry?) never mind i'm an idiot

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
They don't get to switch moves if you move first with Trick. I'd imagine that CB is better on that set, since a CB STAB ExtremeSpeed is almost as powerful as Scizor's Bullet Punch; not bad for revenge killing.

Still, that set is extremely gimmicky and I find it very difficult to believe that it works at all.

Reuniclus @ Life OrbTrait: Magic Guard
Quiet Nature, 252 SpA /160 HP /96 Def
- Trick Room
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

I think this is a better use of reuniclus's EV's. The strategydex currently recommends 192 HP EV's and 64 Def EV's with this set. This puts you at 409 HP if my math is correct. The HP EV's for this EV spread will put you at 401 HP (if my math is correct), which lets you survive 5 seismic tosses from the pink blobs.
What's the critical importance of surviving those 5 Seismic Tosses if Chansey/Blissey is going to force you out anyway?

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

To my surprise, Infernape movepool contains Slack Off, I guess its something that pales to his great coverage. Anyway I wanted a Flare Blitzer with more durability and this is it. Neutrality to Stealth Rock+Slack Off keeps Infernape around a lot longer than most Fire types. Slack Off can be hard to pull off sometimes, but when you do its awesome, just send it in on something that Infernape can easily force out (like Scizor). An interesting combo is to bring yourself in and out of Blaze which can be handy if you need a power boost. Stone Edge is mostly filler, but you can use stuff like U-turn and Thunderpunch. I'm curious a mixed set could be pulled off with this with Fire Blast>Flare Blitz, but having Slack Off in there breaks the mixed-attacking potential.

Glalie @ Leftovers
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Protect
- Spikes
- Blizzard / Taunt

Obviously this set is meant to be used with hail support. With hail, this set recovers 12.5% every turn, meaning that it can use Substitute and Protect continously similar to what Stallrein did. Then, it can outstall every opponent (with Toxic Spikes support, which you'll really want to use) that isn't immune to hail and Toxic Spikes, or immune to Toxic Spikes and carries Leftovers. In such a case, you can set up Spikes, which is the main reason to use it over Wallrein along with its cool Speed. In the last slot, Blizzard provides a decent attacking option, but Taunt also works as it stops things from using Recover or Rest which gives you an easier time stalling.

What's the critical importance of surviving those 5 Seismic Tosses if Chansey/Blissey is going to force you out anyway?

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

To my surprise, Infernape movepool contains Slack Off, I guess its something that pales to his great coverage. Anyway I wanted a Flare Blitzer with more durability and this is it. Neutrality to Stealth Rock+Slack Off keeps Infernape around a lot longer than most Fire types. Slack Off can be hard to pull off sometimes, but when you do its awesome, just send it in on something that Infernape can easily force out (like Scizor). An interesting combo is to bring yourself in and out of Blaze which can be handy if you need a power boost. Stone Edge is mostly filler, but you can use stuff like U-turn and Thunderpunch. I'm curious a mixed set could be pulled off with this with Fire Blast>Flare Blitz, but having Slack Off in there breaks the mixed-attacking potential.
I don't want to be too critical of this set, but Infernape is going to be so low on health after a SE Flare Blitz + LO, that almost any neutral attack will kill it. Infernape's going to be too frail after a Close Combat to take a hit and then Slack Off. All that this set is doing is getting you an extra Flare Blitz when your opponent switches, something which is better done by Wish passers anyway. Perhaps you could try Leftovers to give the ape a bit more HP, and to work in tandem with Slack Off. Infernape's not going to be hitting Gliscor with this set, so maybe you should include a good boosting move like NP/SD. Fire Blast is a good idea for this set's vitality, but again, that renders Slack Off unnecessary, when you can use a coverage move instead.

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Not only is this like running Alakazam with Recover (too frail!), but as you mentioned, you're crippling yourself by either reducing your type coverage or losing out on offensive momentum because of the lack of U-turn.

Also; if you opt to go mixed by replacing Flare Blitz with Fire Blast, don't you technically solve your problem with recoil that way anyway?

Solid Rock | Adamant
12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch / Megahorn​

First of all, Rhyperior looks completely outclassed by Terrakion, which sports better Speed and overall utility on a team, especially if Sandstorm. Rhyperior, through its huge 140 base Attack, solid Defence, 115 HP, and a STAB EdgeQuake, can put the hurt on any team with ease. A single Rock Polish lets him hit 354, higher than any non-scarf base 111 (including Latios, Gengar, Tornadus and others). Its moves cover almost any pokemon running on OU. The EdgeQuake hits (at the very least neutrally) everything but Virizion and the very rare Breloom, and Gliscor has enough bulk to survive a Stone Edge. Ice Punch is for both - instant OHKO on all them. Megahorn is an option is your team is very weak to sweepers such as CMReuniclus or NPCelebi, as Rhyperior can't kill in one hit. Even the bulkiest dragon get screwed by Ice Punch: 252/252+ Dragonite dies at Ice Punch after Stealth Rock. The item is: Babiri Berry. It looks crap, but it's very useful. A standard Scizor (252 HP 0 Def) takes 56% - 65% from Earthquake, and, in reverse, Choice Band Bullet Punch does only 30% factoring Solid Rock and the berry. It's also very handy for Flash Cannon (Magnezone) and Gyro Ball (Ferrothorn)

TL;DR
hits hard, great bulk, great movepool, fast after rock polish

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Honestly, I'd much rather use LO Autotomize Aggron. Despite the lower Attack stat, Aggron's Head Smash has much more power than Rhyperior's Stone Edge (Against max/max Impish Skarmory, 53.3% - 62.9% for Aggron's Head Smash versus 32.3% - 38.3% for Rhy's Stone Edge with the berry and 41.9% - 49.7% with Life Orb) and much higher Speed. It also has stellar Defense and isn't weak to Bullet Punch. Sadly, it has more Scarf Terrakion issues, but Terrakion can't exactly switch in, as Head Smash does a minimum of 51% and Earthquake is almost always a KO with Rocks.

Honestly, I'd much rather use LO Autotomize Aggron. Despite the lower Attack stat, Aggron's Head Smash has much more power than Rhyperior's Stone Edge (Against max/max Impish Skarmory, 53.3% - 62.9% for Aggron's Head Smash versus 32.3% - 38.3% for Rhy's Stone Edge with the berry and 41.9% - 49.7% with Life Orb) and much higher Speed. It also has stellar Defense and isn't weak to Bullet Punch. Sadly, it has more Scarf Terrakion issues, but Terrakion can't exactly switch in, as Head Smash does a minimum of 51% and Earthquake is almost always a KO with Rocks.
Aggron can't take Earthquakes, anyway, even if it could be a better set up sweeper, Rhyperior is nonetheless a huge phisical threat with its high overall stats and great coverage

I don't want to be too critical of this set, but Infernape is going to be so low on health after a SE Flare Blitz + LO, that almost any neutral attack will kill it. Infernape's going to be too frail after a Close Combat to take a hit and then Slack Off. All that this set is doing is getting you an extra Flare Blitz when your opponent switches, something which is better done by Wish passers anyway. Perhaps you could try Leftovers to give the ape a bit more HP, and to work in tandem with Slack Off. Infernape's not going to be hitting Gliscor with this set, so maybe you should include a good boosting move like NP/SD. Fire Blast is a good idea for this set's vitality, but again, that renders Slack Off unnecessary, when you can use a coverage move instead.
I never expected Infernape to tank a hit. Even if it you intended for Infernape to tank a hit, Infernape outspeeds 90% of the tier so he will pretty much always get the Slack Off before any attack hits him anyway (aka high health). BTW, how the hell do Wish Passers do this better? You just said Infernape was so frail after LO+Flare Blitz recoil that it is "2HKO'ed by any neutral hit" how the hell do you expect to switch him in to receive that Wish? Lefties is terrible because you would be too weak to hit anything hard.

I think if you wanted a parallel to this set it would be LO Starmie with Recover. Recover has been the standard on Starmie for a long time to make sure it just doesn't get off 2 attacks and just die. With Infernape's great coverage, it is easy to bluff and force a switch. That's not even the most common way you pull off Slack Off, just put Infernape out on something that is weak to its STAB's and proceed the Slack Off on the forced switch. Slack Off has a great surprise factor so it is easy to pull it off since most Infernape run just attacks. Flare Blitz recoil+SR weakness really hampers the survivability of Flare Blitzers (I'm looking at you Darmanitan. This set aims to fix that.

I think if you wanted a parallel to this set it would be LO Starmie with Recover. Recover has been the standard on Starmie for a long time to make sure it just doesn't get off 2 attacks and just die. With Infernape's great coverage, it is easy to bluff and force a switch. That's not even the most common way you pull off Slack Off, just put Infernape out on something that is weak to its STAB's and proceed the Slack Off on the forced switch. Slack Off has a great surprise factor so it is easy to pull it off since most Infernape run just attacks. Flare Blitz recoil+SR weakness really hampers the survivability of Flare Blitzers (I'm looking at you Darmanitan. This set aims to fix that.
So your plan is to force a switch and Slack Off as they bring in something that'll force you back out, essentially giving them the advantage? U-turn is a much more viable option in this scenario, allowing you to see what they switch into as you U-turn out yourself - allowing you to bring in a counter/check.

Here is a move set that could potentially be used for NU.

Skuntank @ Leftovers/Expert Belt
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 236 HP/16 Atk/188 SpA/64 Spe
Nature: Serious
Moves: Iron Tail/Pursuit/HP Ice
Hone Claws/Pursuit
Acid Spray
Fire Blast/Night Slash/Pursuit

This is intended to be an oddball mixed set for Skuntank. Hone Claws raises your attack and accuracy, which is particularly important to run if you use Iron Tail. Iron Tail is useful for some unexpected coverage and a chance to cut the target's defense. You could also lower SpD with Acid Spray, catch fleeing opponents with Pursuit, or get other coverage with Night Slash, Fire Blast, or HP Ice.
Generally sets that use more high-power moves should include Expert Belt, or if you have a Wish passer. Otherwise use Leftovers.

For Bruno Magno's set:

You definitely took advantage of Rhyperior's advantages over Terakkion: much better HP and Attack which help to set up, then use a STAB or coverage move of choice depending on your opponent. I also like your choice of held item. With your calc, Scizor Bullet Punch is a 3HKO, giving you enough time to defeat it with Earthquake.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So your plan is to force a switch and Slack Off as they bring in something that'll force you back out, essentially giving them the advantage? U-turn is a much more viable option in this scenario, allowing you to see what they switch into as you U-turn out yourself - allowing you to bring in a counter/check.
If you want to continue hitting stuff with Infernape why not? You know many other pokes use recovery moves, while giving to the opponent a free turn, but they do it regardless, because they want their pokes to last longer.

I dont know if Slack Off is worth it on Infernape or not, since i haven't used it, but i don't see anything wrong behind the logic of using a recovery move on an offensive mon...

I don't really see it working to be honest. If you do manage to force that switch (and its a big if; U-turn on Infernape is so common that the risk of something like Skarmory Brave Birding you is pretty big), you give away momentum in return for using Infernape's Flare Blitz maybe one more time. Presumably you're using Infernape on a mostly offensive team? Generally you have to take the chances that you're given; healing up Infernape is no guarantee that it will get another chance to do substantial damage, and at the same time sacrifices coverage and momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)