Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would just switch out. CB Scizor can't OHKO a no investment Latios with Bullet Punch, and risking the Pursuit is sometimes too dangerous. However, in this case you should switch to something that can take a Draco Meteor and/or doesn't mind Trick.

I would just switch out. CB Scizor can't OHKO a no investment Latios with Bullet Punch, and risking the Pursuit is sometimes too dangerous. However, in this case you should switch to something that can take a Draco Meteor and/or doesn't mind Trick.
Shouldn't I be more worried about taking a Surf/HP Fire, since that's what the Latios is most likely to use against Scizor?

Shouldn't I be more worried about taking a Surf/HP Fire, since that's what the Latios is most likely to use against Scizor?
Unless you're in the rain Surf won't KO you and you can actually take any of Latios' moves except HP Fire. That's the catch though; there's about a 50/50 shot of Latios having HP fire, and if it does Scizor is dead. Of course you have to be wary of trick too, as Scizor won't like Choice Specs on it very much... and neither will your special wall. Basically, switch out to something that can take both a trick and HP fire (Rotom-W maybe) and you should be alright... unless they're willing to risk you staying in and use Draco Meteor instead.

Honestly, it's a seriously crazy mind game that basically comes down to luck as to who wins and who loses. The safest option is usually to switch, but if you do so then you risk losing something else if it uses a move you don't like. It's just a risky situation for everyone involved.

haunter

Banned deucer.
You shouldn't probably stay in, hp fire is pretty common on LO Latios. The best move would be to switch to something like Jellicent or Gastrodon, that can laugh at LO or specs'd surf and can take a DM while recovering off the damage. Trick is still a risk but it's unlikely that your opponent tricks away it's precious choice specs on Latios' first appearance and to something that can ko with uturn even without the CB boost.

If your opponent is running rain then you might as well assume that Latios doesn't carry hp fire, but a rain boosted specs surf will still do a lot of damage (75% iirc) so yeah, since you can't ohko Latios at full health with bullet punch, you don't usually want to stay in in your presented scenario.

@the quatz: what do you mean? chaos is the owner of Smogon if that's what you're asking.

I see. Thanks for all your responses!

Honestly, it's a seriously crazy mind game that basically comes down to luck as to who wins and who loses. The safest option is usually to switch, but if you do so then you risk losing something else if it uses a move you don't like. It's just a risky situation for everyone involved.
Yeah, that was about what I was expecting.

Next question: Is it viable for the Specially Defensive Tyranitar on-site to run Thunderbolt/Thunder Fang instead of Fire Blast? I'd like help against Politoed, and I'd think Tbolt would be fine against Skarm; as for Forretress and Ferrothorn, the rest of my team can take them on pretty easily.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Next question: Is it viable for the Specially Defensive Tyranitar on-site to run Thunderbolt/Thunder Fang instead of Fire Blast? I'd like help against Politoed, and I'd think Tbolt would be fine against Skarm; as for Forretress and Ferrothorn, the rest of my team can take them on pretty easily.
Of course! The on-site analysis are there for guidelines, to help people out with common sets or something to work off of. If your team doesn't need the Fire-type support then its always great to try something new. Plus you have surprise at your back, which is always useful.

I'd probably want to adjust the EVs so I could actually take out Politoed...though I think the offensive versions would still beat him. I wouldn't be using Ttar to sweep, so the alternative spread of 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe wouldn't be what I want. Something like...200 HP /56 Atk / 252 SpA? Input is appreciated.

So this is my first attempt at IV breeding. I got a vulpix with both max SpA and SpD. I have another vulpix with max speed. Both are female!

What do I reproduce with what to get max all 3 IV's?

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So this is my first attempt at IV breeding. I got a vulpix with both max SpA and SpD. I have another vulpix with max speed. Both are female!

What do I reproduce with what to get max all 3 IV's?
This page may help you.

So one way that would work is equip the Power Anklet item onto the female vulpix who has 31 speed. Breed that with a male vulpix or a ditto until they produce a male vulpix with 31 speed. Give the new 31 speed male a power anklet and the old female (who has both 31 SpA and 31 SpDef) either a Power Lens or a Power Band. The child will have 31 speed, and either 31 SpA or SpD, guranteed. Then its just a matter of also getting one with who has inherited the other IV (either SpA or SpDef) on its own, but that chance will be high due to one parent already having it just not guaranteed like the others.

So the thing is its impossible to guarantee 3 IV's being passed but 2 are guaranteed with the other one happening soon enough (shouldn't take too many eggs)

Sorry if this is a bit confusing, PM if you need more help!

This page may help you.

So one way that would work is equip the Power Anklet item onto the female vulpix who has 31 speed. Breed that with a male or a ditto and produce a male vulpix with 31 speed. Give the male a power anklet and the female either a Power Lens or a Power Band. The child will have 31 speed, and either 31 SpA or SpD, guranteed. Then its just a matter of also getting the other one (SpA or SpD), but that chance will be high due to one parent already having it just not guaranteed like the others.

So the thing is its impossible to guarantee 3 IV's being passed but 2 are guaranteed with the other one happening soon enough (shouldn't take too many eggs)

Sorry if this is a bit confusing, PM if you need more help!
thanks very much for the advice and the offer to help!

Just wanted to ask this, on Vaniluxe's analysis, are Autotomize and Water Pulse even legal together on it? I'm pretty sure they're not, and that really should be fixed, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Just wanted to ask this, on Vaniluxe's analysis, are Autotomize and Water Pulse even legal together on it? I'm pretty sure they're not, and that really should be fixed, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Vannilish gets Water Pulse from 4th gen. Glalie and it gets Autotomize from Steelix. So it appears to be illegal as far as I can tell

Edit: Okay, and even though this doesn't apply in this scenario, remember that if a Poké needs 2 separate egg moves and is in the Land group, it can get both from Smeargle

Vannilish gets Water Pulse from 4th gen. Glalie and it gets Autotomize from Steelix. So it appears to be illegal as far as I can tell
I thought so, since Steelix is the only member that can pass down Autotomize and it can learn Water Pulse, so...

EDIT: Just noticed it was already edited without Water Pulse, so disregard lol

By "single posts", do you mean something like this?

If so, then click on the post number at the very top right of the desired post, and it'll open a new window with the post in question.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
By "single posts", do you mean something like this?

If so, then click on the post number at the very top right of the desired post, and it'll open a new window with the post in question.
Thx a lot!

I am trying to upload a photo in a post and i can't. The photo appears in the text, but when i post the text the photo is gone. Btw the photo is in hide tag so i don't know if this is a problem...

Regarding Characteristics?

I see a lot of information when it comes to move-set, nature, and items, but I don't see anything on builds regarding characteristics on most of the stuff I'm reading on here. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, how do I sign up to be an apprentice? I looked on the 101 battle forum and on the tutor site but there was not any place to sign up. I'm hungry to learn!

Characteristics themselves don't define anything for the pokemon, they just represent what IVs a 'mon may have in one specific stat. For example, the characteristic "Loves to Eat" means that the 'mon has one of the following IVs in HP: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30. They're much less informative than the specific list of IVs that you can get from an IV calculator, so most people don't bother paying attention to them.

I'll let someone else answer your question about tutoring since I don't really pay attention to that stuff.

Characteristics themselves don't define anything for the pokemon, they just represent what IVs a 'mon may have in one specific stat. For example, the characteristic "Loves to Eat" means that the 'mon has one of the following IVs in HP: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30. They're much less informative than the specific list of IVs that you can get from an IV calculator, so most people don't bother paying attention to them.

I'll let someone else answer your question about tutoring since I don't really pay attention to that stuff.

So if I was looking at catching a Gastly to work towards a Gengar and I wanted him to be "Timid" from what I read that's the best, is there other things I should look for or is Timid a good place to start?

Timid is a good place to start, but if you want to use it competitively, then I would suggest looking into its IVs. A general guide to what they are and how they affect stats can be found here and an IV calculator that helps figure out what IVs you have can be found here (links to Serebii.net). Generally breeding generates better IVs (as detailed here towards the end of the article) and there is a process involving abusing the Random Number Generator of the game in order to find 'mons with perfect IVs and nature. I have no idea how that works, but it's an option. Hope this helps, good luck.

Just wondering, in a double battle, when a lightningrod / storm drain pokemon is using dive / dig / fly, does it still attract electric / water attacks for its partner (on the turn that it is not on the screen, of course)?

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Just wondering, in a double battle, when a lightningrod / storm drain pokemon is using dive / dig / fly, does it still attract electric / water attacks for its partner (on the turn that it is not on the screen, of course)?
I just tested this. I had a Charge Beam Swoobat + Dig Lightningrod Rhyperior in a double wild battle against Lillipup and Blitzle. Rhyperior used Dig and was still able to draw Charge Beam. The attack missed Rhyperior though. I assume that had the attacks been Fly and Thunder, the attack wouldn't have missed (so I guess if a Lightningrod Zapdos used Fly and its partner used Thunder, it would receive the sp.att boost in mid-flight).

The same thing happened with Storm Drain: my Gastrodon was able to attract my Omaster's Brine after it had dived underwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)