Let's Play! Let's Play: Pokémon Black and White & Platinum

*Approved By Matthew*

Hey guys, i'm rather new here, but want to share my videos with you because who better to provide feedback on pokemon videos, other than pokemon fans themselves ;)

Anyways, not really much to say, my channel is very new, only about 10 days old, do if i'm not the best commentator ever, please don't bash me, just let me know what i could do better and i will try to work on it.

Now to the videos;

Part 1
[YOUTUBE]5Pv2qtwp9hQ[/youtube]

Part 2
[youtube]HGtaHJCX1zw[/youtube]

Part 3 - Easily my worst part
[youtube]COffAvrQy9Q[/youtube]​

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Purpose of this thread will be:
let's give critiques on his commentating style and how he can improve his videos.

Also I'm a LP whore so w/e

EDIT:
also requesting a pokemon is named after me.

It'll have to be next game i'm afraid, my last 2 pokemon are already getting named after 2 mates of mine :P

I'll be starting my next one at around the 4th gym, i'll pm you my final team when i start it and you can pick whichever one you like ;)

You're doing pretty well for having just started!
A couple things, though:

• I'm noticing other people's voices in the background; if you can, try recording when no one else is around.
  • In addition to there being less background noise, recording alone might help you commentate with a bit more Let's Player enthusiasm!
Keep up the good work! :)

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hopefully gunna watch these tomorrow! Loads of work tonight, to which I must get back to. Anyway cool idea, I'll get you some comments tomorrow.

I'm with you Matty I love me some LPs

Please let me know what you think :D And Joey you can have a pokemon named after you in the next game if you want? Anyway, next 3 parts;

Part 7
[youtube]Ob-ClSOKYqM[/youtube]

Part 8
[youtube]cfjB0EJZW9Y[/youtube]

Part 9
[youtube]B2qQtjQLA1g[/youtube]​

I watched the first 2 parts so here's some criticism.

• The game is a little too loud.
• The mic quality is a little bad(move the mic away from your mouth).
• No enthusiasm.
• Please don't narrate every single thing you do, it gets annoying really fast.

Also the intro is a little bland, but that might be because I just dislike intros cause they don't really need to be there.

I watched the first 2 parts so here's some criticism.

• The game is a little too loud.
• The mic quality is a little bad(move the mic away from your mouth).
• No enthusiasm.
• Please don't narrate every single thing you do, it gets annoying really fast.

Also the intro is a little bland, but that might be because I just dislike intros cause they don't really need to be there.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have sorted the game music in my newer videos, but i'll try and work on the other points you gave. The with commentating is, your personality counts towards it a LOT, so with me, i am really kinda laid back etc. so it is hard for me to put enthusiasm and stuff into my videos, and i don't want my videos to be scripted because it shows, and most viewers would rather not listen to something that is just being re-read, because everything sounds 'fake'.

And i'd also like to keep my intro (the one that is on part 2, not my first one) because it kinda brings the viewer into the video, rather than just jumping straight in.

EDIT: @Lucario Guy, thanks for that, i didn't realise much of it was hearable, sometimes my brother is in the next room and he gets kinda carried away, but now i'm back at college, i get the middle part of every day off, so 5 of my 7 a week will be recorded when i'm home alone ;)

10 and 11 :D Please Let me know what you think.

Part 10
[youtube]t58AcIOnr2E[/youtube]

Part 11
[youtube]vQdTXOiHPIY[/youtube]

Part 12 - Mic Quality Improved?
[youtube]v/pgu2EDGYK4A[/youtube]​

I started to watch, but unfortunately lost interest rather quickly. Maybe it's just my personal taste, but most of the LPers I watch really vocalize what a great time they're having as they play. It's difficult to be invested in what you're playing if you yourself don't sound like you're very interested yourself.

Also, it may be the sound quality, but I had some trouble understanding what exactly you were saying in the first couple of minutes, too. Recording alone somewhere and enunciating more clearly may help, but if the sound is the issue, then I wouldn't know what to suggest.

Gonna keep watching to give it a chance.
EDIT: Based on the entirety of the first video, I wouldn't really keep watching this LP if it was just something I found on Youtube. I'll watch a few of the later vids maybe to see if I find them more interesting to me.

I started to watch, but unfortunately lost interest rather quickly. Maybe it's just my personal taste, but most of the LPers I watch really vocalize what a great time they're having as they play. It's difficult to be invested in what you're playing if you yourself don't sound like you're very interested yourself.

Also, it may be the sound quality, but I had some trouble understanding what exactly you were saying in the first couple of minutes, too. Recording alone somewhere and enunciating more clearly may help, but if the sound is the issue, then I wouldn't know what to suggest.

Gonna keep watching to give it a chance.
I know what you are saying about the first video, my game volume was too loud, and i believe i have sorted it in my newer videos (about 6 onwards). As for sound, i will be recording alone also now as i am home alone midday, every day bar weekends, so that should also sort that for the most part if it is the problem. If it isn't, and the problem lies with the mic, i can try to make it clearer, maybe move mic further away from my mouth, or possibly invest in a new mic.

Thanks for the feedback, i hope you do prefer my newer videos.

EDIT: Ok Banryu, no worries, i knew not everyone would like my videos, it's to be expected, but at least i know what i can work on.

I'm not exactly a fan of LP's, but I'll give positive criticizing a shot anyway. As mentioned before, there seems to be a lack of enthousiasm in your voice every now and then. Try not to record too late at night or early in the morning (if this does indeed prevent you from sounding excited that is). The same goes for recording when other people are around, or whatever else makes you less comfortable.

Another thing you might want to do to prevent yourself from reading what's going on the screen too much is talking about random topics while nothing important is going on in the game itself. Talk about things you yourself are interested in; this way you'll have an easier time sounding exciting, and you'll attract people with similar interests while keeping uninterested people out.

Hope this helped at least a little!

EDIT: Confidence is another thing, but that comes with time. Try to keep that in mind though.

I'm not exactly a fan of LP's, but I'll give positive criticizing a shot anyway. As mentioned before, there seems to be a lack of enthousiasm in your voice every now and then. Try not to record too late at night or early in the morning (if this does indeed prevent you from sounding excited that is). The same goes for recording when other people are around, or whatever else makes you less comfortable.

Another thing you might want to do to prevent yourself from reading what's going on the screen too much is talking about random topics while nothing important is going on in the game itself. Talk about things you yourself are interested in; this way you'll have an easier time sounding exciting, and you'll attract people with similar interests while keeping uninterested people out.

Hope this helped at least a little!

EDIT: Confidence is another thing, but that comes with time. Try to keep that in mind though.
Thanks for this, the enthusiasm is kinda hard for me because i am so laid back. I do enjoy what i do, and really do love making the videos, but it is hard for me to show that through my voice.

I do think i am getting better at the commentating (your second point), when i first started i didn't really know what i was doing, so just read what i saw pretty much.

And i agree about the confidence factor, i am a fairly confident person in real life, but i really do hate my voice when i listen back to it, so i guess maybe that has something to do with the way i commentate, however once i've been doing it a while, i will be used to it, and at the moment i have 71 subscribers, so that's 71 people that obviously don't hate my voice, which is a positive thing for me to think about.

EDIT - Has my mic quality improved in part 12? I think it sounds clearer, i moved it a bit further away from my mouth. Lemme know your thoughts.

nice editing
Thanks, it's actually really easy. For wild battles i just split before then after and delete the battle, for the sidebar i found correct size, and all i have to do is update it when i level up a pokemon and just add it as a callout, starting from the point i levelled up :) Sounds really confusing like that but it only take 10 minutes per video.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh! I forgot to mention about the intro thing you've been doing. If you're planning on trying to get partnered by doing Let's Plays then you shouldn't have any copyright music in your videos that isn't in the game (even then it's a bit sketchy).

Pokemon commentating is hard to do and that's fine, since it's very straight-forward in itself. Like others have said simply talk about things that excite you, "I'm going to go see this band or whatever soon," blah blah blah. Otherwise for a first-time LP you're doing pretty solid.

Oh! I forgot to mention about the intro thing you've been doing. If you're planning on trying to get partnered by doing Let's Plays then you shouldn't have any copyright music in your videos that isn't in the game (even then it's a bit sketchy).

Pokemon commentating is hard to do and that's fine, since it's very straight-forward in itself. Like others have said simply talk about things that excite you, "I'm going to go see this band or whatever soon," blah blah blah. Otherwise for a first-time LP you're doing pretty solid.
Do you suggest no intro then?

And thank you, not sure if you are watching them but i think i have gotten a bit better, in part 17 i started to talk about what you would do if you woke up as the opposite sex, which is extremely random but it's a fun topic, and 99% of people have thought about it at least once xD

I've started my Platinum walkthrough :D I need 4 nicknames, so if you want a Pokemon named after you, get posting :P

Part 1
[youtube]v/8C6-NY62QgM[/youtube]

Part 2
[youtube]v/f9oQ99Es4iU[/youtube]

Part 3
[youtube]v/ZUN6PU2pKXY[/youtube]​

Do you apply any filter to video when upscaling, or do you just resize it to 720p? It doesn't look like you do. You could try using the HQ4X filter, it really makes things look a lot better.

Anyway, would you nickname a pokémon after me, please? :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)