The Everything Eli Manning Thread - Overrated Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Uh, sorry. I guess I expected WB to start the thread for the draft because he's usually been the guy who's started the threads in the past. My bad.

Okay draftniks, what'd you think? Redskins Cousins WTF? Jacksonville punter 3rd round WTF?

I liked the Bills draft. Solid defensive draft, plus a versatile OL in the 2nd and a WR in the 3rd.

Oh finally. Where do we start? Perhaps the Colts taking Coby Fleener, or the fact that the 49ers passed up on him and instead went for A.J. Jenkins?

I'm surprised at all the moves up in the first round, which usually doesn't see much (especially the Patriots, who're more aggressive in moving down usually). Guess the low rookie scale is encouraging teams to be more proactive in seeking out players they want, as now you aren't risking multi-millions and instead just a few if a player turns into a bust.

Niners moves confuse me, why a receiver R1 when we have 3 (Crabtree, Manningham, Moss), as well as Ginn and Williams as backup special teamers? That to me didn't seem the most pressing need to consider filling since there's going to be a bit of a glut, but I suppose it's also insurance in the likely case one of the others breaks down. Still, could've used someone else instead...then they take a RB in the 2nd round, which is also kinda weird considering we have Gore and Hunter already as well as a couple of others I believe, why another? To me they should've focused more on defending against the pass, as even though they were great against the rush, they were maybe average or so on pass defense. The lack of any QB pickups is scary too, Smith still sucks in my eyes, Kaepernick isn't ready, and the only other one they have I believe is some guy Harbaugh coached at San Diego state. So yeah, hardly a winning trio...

Mind you Niners should still be an easy playoff lock, but still, they just seem to be drafting a bit oddly to me.

Well I don't disagree with the Niners not taking a QB, I mean it's obvious by now that Harbaugh will stay loyal to Smith. But yeah, even though a lot of people around here are hyped up about the 49ers taking LaMicheal James, that gives us 4 RBs. That's just too much, and like Shinryu said, they should have focused more on improving their pass defense.

Well I don't disagree with the Niners not taking a QB, I mean it's obvious by now that Harbaugh will stay loyal to Smith. But yeah, even though a lot of people around here are hyped up about the 49ers taking LaMicheal James, that gives us 4 RBs. That's just too much, and like Shinryu said, they should have focused more on improving their pass defense.
That's why we went for Manning right? XD

I dunno, Harbaugh maybe didn't just see the talent out there this year in anyone hoping to beat out Alex Smith, who at least does have the advantage of knowing the playbook. Still, if Smith can't do any better with 3 decent receivers now in addition to still having the strong running game and Davis, I'd expect Harbaugh to be more proactive in finding another QB; of course, if we win the Super Bowl instead, all bets are off and Smith will probably get a nice bump in pay somewhere.

The Jaguars and Mike Mularkey will make that punter a star.

Draft Thoughts:

Eagles are STACKED. Beyond stacked at this point. Vinny Curry, Fletcher Cox and Brandon Boykins in the draft is just insane.
The Falcons did a good job of adding girth where it was needed I guess. Sad that we didn't take a Tight End or even a 4th wide receiver but that's what UDFAs are for.

Now for the main event:

With the Broncos!!!! He'll definitely win out the starting job from Peyton Manning.

The Steelers had a good draft. I am pleased.

Also, Tannehill at 8? Where did this guy come from and why is everyone riding his dick?

Tannehill is a bit overrated, in my opinion, but he'll be a decent back-up to Peyton.

I was pleased with my Rams' draft. We traded down a lot after missing out on both Blackmon and Floyd, but we managed to cover most of our holes with our multitude of second round picks. I really like Brian Quick, too.

Tannehill is a bit overrated, in my opinion, but he'll be a decent back-up to Peyton.

I was pleased with my Rams' draft. We traded down a lot after missing out on both Blackmon and Floyd, but we managed to cover most of our holes with our multitude of second round picks. I really like Brian Quick, too.
I think you're a bit confused...Tannehill was picked at 8 by the Dolphins to be Marino (lol), they have Moore and Garrard. Osweiler was picked in the what, 2nd or 3rd round by the Broncos to be backup to Peyton.

At any rate, being 6'7 Osweiler should be able to dunk over Peyton if they feel like playing basketball lol.

Well, the Ravens didn't really do anything exciting.

What we have hasn't been working, guys. Try something else please.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Patriots....moving up in the draft? They got some pretty good picks too. Damn, I'm excited about this season. Inches away from winning the Super Bowl last year and it looks like they're addressing their weaknesses seriously instead of hoping Brady can bail them out again.

Wondering what will happen to M. Forte.. our season depends on that beautiful man.
Is there any sane reason why the Bears won't pay the man? Sure I guess there is fear of drop in performance like when CJ2K got his big payout, but that was also just as much the Titans not being that great too. I mean, as much as Forte contributes, it is a bit insulting from his view that the team won't sign him to a decent deal considering he still has 4 years before the dreaded 30.

The Vikings actually had a good draft for the first time in several decades... usually they make 1 good pick every 2-3 drafts (Peterson, Harvin) and the rest are trash, but I feel like they actually made several good picks/decisions this draft.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I was waiting to find user DickMullet on Internet Relay Chat to ask him about putting up the new thread, since he was all like training camps and blah blah blah wasn't sure if it was okay to re-post it yet or not.

Gore is somewhat injury-prone, I don't fault the Niners for stocking up with more RBs as great as he can be.

Redskins did alright. Most fans would have rather seen nothing but OL and secondary picks after Griffin but that isn't really realistic. The Cousins pick makes sense since we only have one QB that we want to keep for multiple seasons. It makes sense to have a backup to learn alongside Griffin. Did we have other, more important holes to fill? Probably. But they may have felt he was a good value at that spot.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was waiting to post it because DM said in the old thread he wanted to wait til a few days after the draft before having more discussion. If I had known everyone was splooging in their pants over it I would have done it sooner lol.

ANYWAY to address the concern over the 49ers picks, they went WR first round because Moss is likely to only be there one year (or 4 games until he quits), Manningham and Crabtree are inconsistent, and Ginn + Williams are better special teamers than WRs. The 49ers will need a solid #2-3 WR next year when Moss is inevitably gone. Plus the 49ers are a good organization and draft for talent, not for needs. As for the RB, they probably see Gore and Jacobs not getting any younger, and want to take a couple years to build their young guys into starters. Hunter won't be a #1 RB anyway.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

Um what? We were one dropped pass from the Superbowl, a match I would have liked our chances to win actually against the G-Men.

Our draft wasn't spectacular but it was pretty good. Upshaw is the best run stopping OLB in this years draft class and can get after the passer. Like Suggs, he fell because his 40 time wasn't lightning but the game tape never lies. And besides, how often does a LB need to run 40 yards anyway haha, a 10 yard dash comparison would be much more valuable! Our second round pick, Osemele is a very good guard and can be groomed to fill the roll of Grubbs (who we struggled without when he was injured last year). I was unhappy we balked on Ruben Randle but we did a very good job at drafting for depth. Matt Birk is almost done in this league, as is Ed Reed (here's hoping the latter plays for longer) so picking players to develop behind them as opposed to sexy picks were very very shrewd moves by Ozzie. I wasn't thrilled by the Pierce pick, but the staff were apparently very high on him and were anything to happen to Ray Rice he'd be a more then capable backup. My favourite value pick potentially is Streeter in the 6th. The dude is like a less known Stephen Hill, except that he caught as many passes last season as Hill did for his career. 6'5'', measurables off the charts, 4.3 40 yard dash and showed a lot of promise. Obviously he has his flaws or else we wouldn't have gotten him in the 6th but he's one to watch. Be more positive man :).

Anyway guys I stumbled upon this:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52641

A description of each draft pick in GIF form. You're welcome!

The Vikings actually had a good draft for the first time in several decades... usually they make 1 good pick every 2-3 drafts (Peterson, Harvin) and the rest are trash, but I feel like they actually made several good picks/decisions this draft.
I know, Kalil and Harrison Smith were easy and obvious, but the way they picked them was what impressed me. Got free picks from the Browns and then traded up for Smith (NE would have taken him.)

I wish we would've gotten a receiver earlier, but Greg Childs is good if he can return to his pre-injury form. I like Josh Robinson, because he is something none of our corners are- fast and has good hands.

The picks that left me shaking my head were Rhett Ellison and Blair Walsh. I have no issue taking a kicker, but Blair Walsh means that even though we got rid of Shiancoe, we're still going to have a shanker.

My favourite value pick potentially is Streeter in the 6th. The dude is like a less known Stephen Hill, except that he caught as many passes last season as Hill did for his career. 6'5'', measurables off the charts, 4.3 40 yard dash and showed a lot of promise.
I liked Streeter alot. I was shocked that he lasted so long. I was hopeful that he'd make it to Rd 7 but alas, it was not meant to be.

Also, the Ravens signed John Brantley and Deonte Thompson as UDFA, odds they make the final roster? I've already deduced Kellen Moore will make the Lions final roster, and will be the backup by years end.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Surprised you knew about them haha, are you a Florida guy? I don't like Brantley's chances sadly, I do think he's an intriguing backup option and I'd like him to be our QB3 over Painter. If we only have two like last year though, he won't overtake Taylor on the depth chart. Denote Thompson on the other hand is my favourite UDFA signing by far, I was stoked that we got him! Freakishly athletic (ran a 40 in 4.2x from memory!) and has a lot of potential. I think he definitely makes the team as a special teams contributor and battles Streeter for the 4th WR slot.

PS - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-could-suspend-pro-bowl-2013-fan-reaction-022000707--nfl.html. Thoughts?

Didn't follow other teams' drafts too closely, but the Eagles definitely seemed to have a great draft. Chiefs picking Poe, letting the Eagles trade up right after them and get Cox, then Kendricks and Curry in the second... Bengals also had quite a solid draft. Patriots being aggressive and trading up for Jones and Hightower also seemed like good moves.

The Giants draft I thought was decent, given the late pick. No OLine help until later does worry me, especially with the Eagles making their front 7 even stronger. It turns out that Diehl played most of the season with a broken hand and Baas dealt with nagging injuries as well. Maybe with those two healthy, Beatty in his second year as a starter, and backups like Brewer and Boothe competing for spots the OLine won't be quite as terrible as it was last year. A lot of ask for, but I can only hope, right?

Although, if the OLine does fare better than it does last year, the Giants O could be pretty damn scary if the Randle and Wilson picks work out.

I will never get why people are disappointed in perennial playoff teams because they don't win the Super Bowl every year; some day you'll hopefully realize only one team in thirty two actually wins it and you'll be happy with what you already have.

Wondering what will happen to M. Forte.. our season depends on that beautiful man.
Does it? The Bears actually have outside threats now, and with real receivers Cutler might amount to a real quarterback. This will take a LOT of pressure off Forte, and in the Mike Martz offense he'll probably receive even fewer touches than last season. derp

It is unfortunate that Forte is unlikely to be signed to a big contract, and questionable whether he'll actually show up to training camp without one. The fact of the matter is, Forte wants to get paid for his efficiency - how productive he is with his touches - rather than his productivity, the amount of yardage he actually produces. This has created a contract divide that's unlikely to be resolved. Add in the fact that RBs aren't as important as they used to be, and you'll see it's unlikely that they'll simply "pay the man."

Redskins did alright. Most fans would have rather seen nothing but OL and secondary picks after Griffin but that isn't really realistic. The Cousins pick makes sense since we only have one QB that we want to keep for multiple seasons. It makes sense to have a backup to learn alongside Griffin. Did we have other, more important holes to fill? Probably. But they may have felt he was a good value at that spot.
I hate the Cousins pick, and I personally believe it is bad for everyone involved.

Drafting a backup quarterback that high and in the same year as your starter shows that you might not trust Griffin's durability, at best, and at worst you don't trust Griffin. There should not be a shadow of a doubt that they trust Griffin completely; why on earth would you instill one by drafting another quarterback? Second, it's bad for the organization; they had multiple needs they should have attempted to address with the pick, and no first round pick until 2015, yet they spent it on the position of "Clipboard-holder." Last, it's bad for Cousins; he had a legitimate chance to become a starter for another team two-three years down the road, yet now he's stuck behind a far better quarterback and inevitably going to be forgotten.

Also, Tannehill at 8? Where did this guy come from and why is everyone riding his dick?
Honestly, I dislike Tannehill at 8, and I don't really see him going far in the NFL. However, with the rookie wage scale, top-10 QBs are no longer high-risk, high-reward; if he doesn't pan out, the Dolphins will be drafting in the top 10 again over the next couple years and won't have to pay him a large amount of money like Sanchez or Bradford will get for falling on their faces. With Tannehill's old coach being his new Offensive Coordinator, he has a chance to get comfortable with the system and to become at least a serviceable quarterback, if not more.

Still, he was a second round talent taken at #8 because of the position he plays, and nothing more.

Weeden was a far worse pick, in my opinion. Regardless of how you look at it, he'll have to have immediate success to be worth such a pick at his age, and probably doesn't have a very high ceiling on his productivity. On the bright side, I found the article about them attempting to trade Colt McCoy funny... as if anyone wants him! :happybrain:

Last, but not least: I really love when the "experts" give each team draft grades. With "C" given as "average" and "D" given as "below-average", only one team got a C- (the Saints) and no team scored worse. Only one team slightly below average... way to go Mel Kiper! Guess that's why it's the most optimistic time of the year!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I hate the Cousins pick, and I personally believe it is bad for everyone involved.

Drafting a backup quarterback that high and in the same year as your starter shows that you might not trust Griffin's durability, at best, and at worst you don't trust Griffin. There should not be a shadow of a doubt that they trust Griffin completely; why on earth would you instill one by drafting another quarterback? Second, it's bad for the organization; they had multiple needs they should have attempted to address with the pick, and no first round pick until 2015, yet they spent it on the position of "Clipboard-holder." Last, it's bad for Cousins; he had a legitimate chance to become a starter for another team two-three years down the road, yet now he's stuck behind a far better quarterback and inevitably going to be forgotten.
Not sure why you didn't consider the fact that the Redskins are probably planning to trade Cousins. You are correct that it's silly to draft a clipboard holder in the same draft as your starter. I believe the Redskins do not plan to keep Cousins on their roster as a clipboard holder his whole career. They might want to try to do what Green Bay did with Matt Flynn - give the kid a chance to shine in a game or two and then grab a nice trade for him before he's really proven himself. We all know there are teams out there willing to pay big for unproven backup QBs who had one or two big games (lolkevinkolb) so the Redskins are probably planning to keep Cousins until that happens.

Also I thought Mike Martz retired?

If they invested the pick in Cousins for trade fodder, it's an even worse pick. At best, he'll be in a situation like Kevin Kolb where someone will want a chance at him while he's still under contract, and they'll get *maybe* a second round pick from him. So their investment of a fourth round pick now will garner them a potential second round pick a few years down the road... hardly worth it in my opinion, given that it DOES pan out. Matt Flynn was a free agent, so the Packers got nothing but two starts from him (and was a late round pick anyway).

Martz did retire, which I had forgotten :x It's about damned time, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)