Research Week #4: The Sixth Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Research Week - Ubers Edition!

Duration:
April 29th - May 13th
Thanks to Texas Cloverleaf.

Research Week looks to investigate Pokemon that have potential in Ubers, be it in stats, movepool, or supporting their team, to serve as an innovative choice in today's metagame. These are Pokemon that, for the most part, remain relatively untested. I've selected 3 Pokemon I feel, with help from everyone else, could see the rise of new and powerful sets, or the fulfilment of a particular niche. Perhaps the title is a bit of a misnomer; in fact, this installment (and likely future ones) of Research Week will continue as long as the discussion does, and that's where you all come in.

If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning, such as damage calculations! Posting replays showcasing the pokemon you selected is especially encouraged.

• Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; at least look into them and see what options they may be able to utilize!
• Feel free to theorymon, but make it clear that you are theorymon'ing. At the end of the week, however, I want discussion to move towards how useful the Pokemon actually are in Uber, and what sets are effective on them.
• Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's quite possible that something might have gone unnoticed or is missing.
• Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. I want discussion to stay on topic about the 3 Pokemon we are "researching". Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect the next research week to have all the Pokemon you suggested, or any of them.

So, the 3 Pokemon we will be looking at this research week are Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi.

How useful are these Pokemon in Uber? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? What roles can they fill in teams? Are they worth the team slot on your team or is it outclassed?

Discuss; the discussion that come out of this will surely be illuminating! Don't forget, you're not just limited to this topic to discuss these Pokemon. The #ubers irc channel is a perfectly suitable place to discuss them as well. Feel free to take the discussion to #pokemon as well. At the end of the discussion period, hope we can reach a general consensus on how good these Pokemon really are, and that we might find some interesting discoveries.

Alright, now that that's out of the way we can get to the fun part of this. First up, Reasearch Week will now have a duration of roughly two weeks. The reason for this is as follows:
The Research Week Challenge:
  • Users will use any number of the research week mons on their team
  • Users will attempt to reach as high as possible on the ladder with the Pokemon. Breaking past the 1350 mark on the ladder with your registered alt will earn you a spot on the Hall of Fame: Gold Class. Crossing the 1300 mark will secure you a Silver Class spot while a 1250 rating will earn you a Bronze Class spot. Post a screen-shot of your peak in order to achieve this, and a pastebin of your team.
  • Users will be expected to post their experiences with the pokemon they use, the teams they used, the problems they encoutered while trying to make the said pokemon work.
  • If a user does not participate in the discussion, he will be passed over.
In order to participate in the challenge, simply post what Pokemon you're trying and your fresh new alt (yes, this is mandatory). Post battle logs, experiences with your team on the ladder, and generally how a Pokemon has worked out for you: past or present.

There will also be an archive of the successful teams who managed to break the ladder benchmarks. The archive will consist of the teams used along with the rating achieved by the said team and some comments for the user who built the team. Teams which displayed a significant amount of creativity but fell short of the points cutoff may also be featured in the archive. This will be decided on subjectively by the Uber moderators.

Rewards:

Winning the Research Week challenge grants you prizes. Here's the rewarding system:
  • Winning one RW will grant you VOPs (+) in #ubers.
  • Winning two RW challenges will grant you a larger avatar.
  • Winning three RW challenges will grant you a Custom Title.
  • Winning five RW challenges will grant you HOPs (%) in #ubers.
* You might get a Custom Title for winning two RW challenges, and a larger avatar for winning three.
** Getting HOPs in #ubers might take four wins, and maybe more, depending on our judgment if you deserve it or not.

Furthermore, quality posting may be rewarded with larger avatars or custom titles, even if you did not win the challenge. So get out and post!​

• Furai - Touch
  • D4RR3N - -Twinkle-
  • Fiction. - atro city / ac ricochet
  • shrang - tinkerbell
  • Emanresu - Interrogatory verbs
  • jonathanrp - Flametongue
  • Steven Snype - Furries go ROAR (<_<)
  • Omicron - herro dere
  • Cherub Agent - Cherubim
  • barry4ever - Pixelation
  • Adam Lambert - Slowpoke
  • Donkey - i love noody
  • Faint. - SWAG OD Faint
  • Iceydude138 - Napoleon Bonaparte
  • Superimp - Rising Onion
  • T-Dogg - ttre009
  • Go10 - Dora lexploratrice
  • ssbbm - sohapy

Gold Class: 1350+
1. Fiction.:
#5 - 11/5/2012 - 1403
[][][][][][]

1. Superimp:
#6 - 10/5/2012 - 1384
[][][][][][]
Silver Class: 1300-1349
1. shrang:
#17 - 6/5/2012 - 1303
[][][][][][]
Bronze Class: 1250-1299
1. puregenius:
#44 - 13/5/2012 - 1255
[][][][][][]

Research Week #1
Research Week #2 - won by Fiction. with a rating of 1414!
Research Week #3 - won by Fiction. with a rating of 1391!

bonus points for not using specially defensive jirachi :)
I was just thinking how surprising it is to see Jirachi in RW, the specially defensive set was all over the place last time I played =P

But yeah, I'll try my hand with Celebi. I'll pick an alt when I get back to my computer.

jrp

Banned deucer.
hmm. Both Mew and Celebi can function as splendid Baton passers. Jirachi can go flinchhax its sorry ass somewhere else. I'll try Celebi under the alt Flametongue.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna use Jirachi / Mew / Celebi
alt: Pixelation

Also, I'd like to say that apart from simply posting your ranking / achievements is not exactly the point of Research Week. Research Week is about finding out stuff anout certain Pokemon and thereby sharing it with the community. I'd really like EVERYONE who is participating in this CCAT to post their experiences / difficulties / logs / replays teams while using the research pokemon in this thread.

Using: Jirachi
Alt: Slowpoke

Team's made, tested it with 1 battle and seems perfect. Will edit this post when I'm done. ;)

Also, I'd like to say that apart from simply posting your ranking / achievements is not exactly the point of Research Week. Research Week is about finding out stuff anout certain Pokemon and thereby sharing it with the community. I'd really like EVERYONE who is participating in this CCAT to post their experiences / difficulties / logs / replays teams while using the research pokemon in this thread.
I absolutely agree with Barry. I look forward to reading about your guys' expeience(s) using these overlooked mons in Ubers!! (especially Celebi) :)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, I'm quite pleased on how Celebi is working out. The set I'm using is:

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Ice

Currently, Baton Passing to Kingdra is my aim at the moment. While Mew might look like a better dedicated Baton Passer, Celebi's main attraction is definitely his Grass-typing. Celebi is a great Ground resist for a rain team, while Grass Knot is strong enough STAB to OHKO Groudon and do a bucket-load to Kyogre. I have HP Ice there I can easily OHKO Rayquaza since Air Lock is annoying.

Other things I have thought about using Celebi for is just pure support, as it does get Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave and Heal Bell, which makes it a decent alternative to Grass Arceus if you want to run a better form (I mean admit it, Grass Arceus is just such a sitting duck). I've also used the Tinkerbell set reasonably effectively in DW Ubers, and it shouldn't be too different in standard:

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm / Grass Knot
- Earth Power / Hidden Power Ice
- Recover

Mew is absolutely atrocious. Funny full bp in ubers is extremely difficult, and even when I was running regular bp I was only able to get 1250. With dtail and roar being everywhere it's very hard to pull off a sweep.

If you decide to use anything other than bp it's outclassed by something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)