Other Metagames Rules and Regulations - IMPORTANT UPDATE 9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello and welcome to the Other Metagames forum! Feel free to discuss any metagame on Smogon that doesn't currently have its own forum. From Balanced Hackmons to 1 vs. 1 Challenge Cup, this forum is open for chatting about a huge variety of subjects. However, please adhere to a few rules and regulations:

• We still follow the rules of the OU main forum and the general Smogon rules. Please read through those points and understand their purpose.
  • If you have a simple question about Other Metagames in general, feel free to post them in this thread. If your question is a general one that is not specific to Other Metagames, please check out the Overused SQSA thread.
  • If you wish to start your own metagame, use the search function first to see if the metagame you're posting has its own discussion thread. please send a message to one of the Other Metagames moderators - @Birkal, @Arcticblast, or @Joim - with a detailed description of your metagame. Remember that Joim is our main coder - while there are a few users who also code OMs on their own servers, Joim is our main guy, so you should PM him in particular. If we decide that it's fit for Other Metagames, go ahead and post it! When you post it, please add "Approved by _____" to the original post. You may want to bring up the tier idea in #pokemon, #othermetas, or Pokemon Showdown! before you post it to get a sense of how many people would be interested in the tier.
  • Speaking of #othermetas, please don't make any more splinter IRC channels. It takes away from the userbase of #othermetas.
  • Be respectful and do not tier bash. You don't have to post in the thread if you don't like the tier idea.
    • When commenting on a user-made mod, don't simply say you don't like a change. If you don't like something in the mod, give a decent reason. Perhaps suggest an alternative.
  • Please only have one thread per metagame. If a metagame thread becomes very popular and it needs additional threads to divide up discussion, contact Birkal, Arcticblast, or Joim and they will review it. This also applies to threads like viability rankings and ladder challenges.
  • If a tier is impossible to play in-game and on Pokemon Showdown!, don't post it. If you have an idea that's an exception to the rule, ask an OM moderator about it.
  • Until they are implemented on Pokemon Showdown, do not request a Triple Battle or Rotation Battle metagame.
  • Effective 9/12 (or 12/9 for non americans) - No new metagames may be posted until X and Y have been out for a while. Large metagames will be set up as the moderators see fit, but this time is being set up for the moderators to review and update rules and for metagames to stabilize. Any metagames that pop up after this date are due to moderator inbox backlog.

That's it for now! Thanks for reading and happy posting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is creepy. I was literally just thinking about suggesting this in the suggestion box last night. Smogon can read minds.

Does this metagame apply as well? It seems different enough to earn a home here.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Question. Is ANY metagame allowed here? Are there restrictions on what goes and what doesn't? For example, the currently locked Novelty Tier? (Not that I follow that, but it's a good example of a less "qualified" metagame.)

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Note that we have now added a new moderator specifically for Other Metagames. User DTC has been promoted to moderator in this forum. While all of the other Overused moderators can and will continue to moderate here, please contact DTC first if you have any specific questions on posting topics or discussing new metagames.

Question. Is ANY metagame allowed here? Are there restrictions on what goes and what doesn't? For example, the currently locked Novelty Tier? (Not that I follow that, but it's a good example of a less "qualified" metagame.)
(Sorry for the late response)

Any metagame. I suggest that you make sure it has some interest before you post it, however. Maybe bring up your idea on #pokemon, PO main chat, and/or Pokemon Showdown!? Playing a match or two would be nice as well so you could give people a very small glimpse of what the tier is like.

I know that a tier has been created based along the idea of editing the base characteristics of Pokemon with the import function of PS! (6-move battling). Would it be possible to do a similar type of thing with abilities, i.e. have a functioning battle with, say, a Landorus with both Sand Force and Sheer Force? I had the idea for a tier today regarding this sort of thing, but I don't want to create a thread for it until I know it can be tested.

I know that a tier has been created based along the idea of editing the base characteristics of Pokemon with the import function of PS! (6-move battling). Would it be possible to do a similar type of thing with abilities, i.e. have a functioning battle with, say, a Landorus with both Sand Force and Sheer Force? I had the idea for a tier today regarding this sort of thing, but I don't want to create a thread for it until I know it can be tested.
It has been tried before with both items and abilities. The results, however, has been less than desirable.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
anyone here play glitchmons i have got a pretty good set

Scizor @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gear Grind
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
can i have some suggestions?

I was gonna ask, what happened to 200 play? AKA Ruby/Sapphire pre-firered/leafgreen metagame, the one between 252 G/S/C and 386 play?

I only played it briefly (played some G/S/C on the IRC bots and then skipped straight to 386 play.) but didn't think it was THAT bad to be forgotten in the sands of time completely... or was it?

PS: as an old ADV player who kinda quit after early D/P (i quit pre-Garchomp ban) its crazy to see the forums and how much more popular competitive play has gotten and how much things have changed. I feel like an old man haha.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Nothing really HAPPENED to 200 play, it's just not something people play anymore since it isn't that relevant. That said, it would be cool to see it come back - I never got a chance to play it. You could be the one to bring it back!

Nothing really HAPPENED to 200 play, it's just not something people play anymore since it isn't that relevant. That said, it would be cool to see it come back - I never got a chance to play it. You could be the one to bring it back!
I appreciate the reply! I could bring it back, but I really don't have the commitment. I have quite intense work I do these days, which is all consuming and more fun than competitive pokemon (thats more a testament to what I do, as opposed to any pejoration towards pokemon: competitive pokemon was a big part of my formative years and I will never forget how much it meant to me).

So I have neither the time nor desire. I just like to check in on these forums once a month to see whats happening. i.e. when BP was being considered banned from 386 play a couple of months back, I was all like "say whaaaaaatttttt", I wrote out so many baton pass teams back in the day in a notepad I still have... and to ban it? crazynus.

And I occasional post in a thread/create a thread myself just chucking an idea or my two cents in. The whole idea of complex bans is really intriguing from my standpoint (i.e. non sand-viel garchomp allowed, vs just banning pokemon) of someone on the outside of all of modern competitive play looking in. So to is possible policy reviews of the central rulesets of competitive play (evasion clause neccessary? sleep clause neccessary? 1HKO clause neccessary? where do you draw the line and why?)

So yeah, if anyone is bored of all the metagames and wants to pioneer the return of something, explore 200 play! Viable Regice here you go!

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
  • Effective 9/12 (or 12/9 for non americans) - No new metagames may be posted until X and Y have been out for a while. Large metagames will be set up as the moderators see fit, but this time is being set up for the moderators to review and update rules and for metagames to stabilize. Any metagames that pop up after this date are due to moderator inbox backlog.
At what point will this stop applying and we can submit new metas?

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Basically when we say so. We'll probably wait until there's already NU format.
The most recent NU format we can possibly get and thats very unlikely, is around july 2014 and even then I doubt the NU council will pick up all that early so probably september more or less 2014, is it really worth killing this forums activity (its kinda obvious that it wont be the same until user submitted ones come back) just to "be in line with official metas" but then again, I guess we can let you guys do your thing, I'm still just kinda ticked that OMs will deny user submitted ones for this long w\e I guess I can mess around on UT for a bit (on phone)

Last edited:

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I said probably. We can also start weeding out OMs as soon as there's a stable OU. The activity should pick up once Pokebank is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)