CAP 14 CAP 3 - Part 4 - Primary Ability Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Now we decide the primary way we want to handle Water-type threats.

This will be a single bold vote. Make sure that you bold your vote and nothing else! A typical vote might look like the following:
My preferred typing

Any comments that the voter has would go below the votes in non-bold text. Bold text is used to determine what the user's votes are, so none of the supplementary text should be in bold.
Please post only your votes in this thread. Do not respond to other posts, or your posts will be moderated and you may be warned. You are allowed to say whatever you like in relation to your vote at the bottom of your post, but please do not look to begin a discussion. Keep those comments to #cap on IRC.

This poll will be open for 24 hours.

When voting, use only the ability! The list of possible votes include:

Drought
Dry Skin

Our CAP3 so far:

Name: Extreme Makeover: Typing Edition

General Description: The idea here is to create a Pokemon who's typing, while normally considered poor defensively and/or offensively, becomes a strong selling point of the Pokemon itself via help from an ability, stats, and/or movepool.

Justification: There are a lot of typings we scoff at on a daily basis because of their serious flaws, often forgetting about their strong points. For example, Poison is a really terrible offensive typing, but a decent defensive typing, while the Ice typing is good offensively, but awful defensively. Instead of just accepting that some typings will just ruin a Pokemon, this CAP concept aims to take that "terrible typing", and find ways to fix it (usually via ability, movepool, or stats) to the point where the formerly terrible typing becomes the CAP's strong point! The reason this CAP could benefit OU is because a Pokemon who makes a "bad typing" into a great one could find many unique offensive and/or defensive niches that aren't currently found!

Questions To Be Answered

-What does it take for a Pokemon to overcome its "bad typing" so much that its typing becomes good? Are the stats the biggest contributer, is the ability the thing that saves it, does movepool make it a force, or is it a combination of the above?

-How does the typing makeover effect the Pokemon's playstyle? Does the Pokemon become a unique wall that uses its makeover to overcome its typing's normally fatal flaws, does the make over make a terrible offensive typing into a fearsome sweeper, does the makeover make it into a formidible combination of deffense and offense to a typing that brings it neither, or does the makeover bring forth something none of us see coming from the typing?

-Which resistances and immunities are the most relevant to the metagame? Sure, this concept is aiming to have a "bad typing" become good, but part of that will require the bad typing to have some key resistances and/or immunties to certain typings to defend against or set up on, while still having a very unorthodox competitive typing. This works the other way around too, what are the typings most relevant to hit super effectively or at least neutral?

-How will the rest of the OU metagame react to this extreme type makeover? Will Pokemon start carrying moves they normally wouldn't carry to break through a new defensive threat, will some Pokemon take on new defensive roles due to resisting the unorthodox STABs CAP 3 may carry? Or will This Pokemon, despite being a very real threat, not have many "custom made sets" to beat it, being more of a Pokemon that is a reaction to the metagame than causing a metagame reaction?

-Finally, how will this effect the teams CAP3 is on? Will this be the kind of Pokemon who needs a lot of support to become a threat, will this Pokemon be more of key team member to execute another strategy, or will this be the kind of Pokemon that's part of the glue that holds the team together?
Typing: Fire / Poison

After this some will be steaming!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dry Skin

I might be fine with Drought as a D/W (or maybe secondary) ability with possible restrictions on moveset. But Dry Skin is the right place to start.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dry Skin

And if we could avoid any lectures about why you chose what you did then that would be great, since it really doesn't matter at this point and it's annoying for all concerned.

Drought

Drought achieves the following:

- puts CAP 3 into a "win condition" role that makes its Poison typing a valuable asset

- threatens Water-types in the way they were intended to be threatened (making CAP 3 function well against rain), rather than just countering them for the lulz

- uses the Fire type in a way that few other abilities can, and does not use other types in the same fashion

- leaves CAP 3 with many of the same weaknesses as other weather starters, except with the Toxic Spikes absorption, to have a very good idea of what such a trait could do for a weather starter

I also like Dry Skin but I feel Drought needs all the support it can get.

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dry Skin

CAP3 threatens Politoed, Tentacruel, and Jellicent. Dry Skin helps CAP3 accomplish this without any other overarching effect such as changing the weather, which, in my mind, shifts the focus of the CAP to: "Can we make a better Ninetails." Is Drought better competitively? Maybe. But to serve the concept and the agreed-upon threat list, Dry Skin is the best ability to start out with.

Drought

I like both abilities actually and wish for CAP3 to have them both, but since we can only vote for one at this time I rather try to secure Drought into an ability slot over Dry Skin for the time being.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dry Skin

Korski's post in the discussion did convince me that Drought is not a terrible option, however, it also reaffirmed to me that Dry Skin is by far the best. Not a bad option either way, but Dry Skin is definitely superior in my eyes.

Drought

I completely disagree with the sentiment that Dry Skin is better for the concept. I don't feel that an ability that basically alters a Pokemon's "typing" should be used for a concept that is supposed to be about taking a shitty typing and making it 'good' by highlighting all the good aspects of it. I don't really think Drought is the best ability for that either, but it's better than Dry Skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)