Pokémon Battle Revolution Discussion

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession

Hey, everyone! Welcome to the Pokémon Battle Revolution Discussion thread! Here, you can talk about the very first Pokémon game for the Wii, or the Wii version of the hits Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2! If you loved these two games, you'll certainly love Pokémon Battle Revolution (if you like the addition of Gen III and IV). The biggest plus for this game is that you can transfer your own team from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl! I suggest you read this, or this for more info! You can buy this game used for $34.99 at GameStop. Now, let's enter the world of Poketopia!​

Discussion questions! Yay!​

What was your overall experience like with Pokémon Battle Revolution?
Overall, I thought the game was pretty sexy, because to me it was kinda like the upgraded version of Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 with good graphics, along with the addition of Gen IV.​

What was your favorite Colosseum or stage?
My favorite Colosseum would have to be the Neon Colosseum, just 'cause you would spin a wheel to see what Pokémon you get! It's interesting to see what strategies I can use with the chosen Pokémon.​

How long did you last in Survival Battle Mode?
I probably only lasted 50 rounds in this mode, considering I was a n00b at 8 years old. XD​

What was your experience playing online?
I had to play against a lot of Japanese, it was really difficult to win, lol! But it was fun to what other strategies random people came up with, so it was exciting! I also attempted to battle with rental Pokémon. XD​

Do you think they should make a sequel for all Pokémon generations, including Gen V?
I would TOTALLY love it if they made a sequel with Gen V; ever since they released BW, I've been waiting for Nintendo to make Pokemon Battle Revolution 2.​

These are just some discussion questions, so feel free to discuss anything about the game here!​

This game sucked ass because:
1) It was only battling. There was no plot or storyline, like in Colossuem and XD. I am well aware that the majority of smogon does not give two shits about the plot/ storyline of said games, but I enjoy it, and I believe it is a cornerstone of gaming.

2) It was so damn easy. All you needed was a halfway decent team to completely obliterate the enemy. I beat the poketopia master in under a minute. The only difficult aspect of the game was neon colosseum, but it wasn't challenging. It was annoying.

3) HOLY SHIT THE ANNOUNCER

Yes, the graphics were good, but that can't shape a game.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The best thing about the game was that it had a Level 50 All option for when you did DS battles. Since I have four siblings and a few Pokemon-playing friends, this was pretty much solid gold.

I liked the game a lot too.

OMG, I remember this game. Good times playing it too. :) The fact that they all defaulted to level 50 when playing DS battles gave it a fun twist. :p

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
OMG, I remember this game. Good times playing it too. :) The fact that they all defaulted to level 50 when playing DS battles gave it a fun twist. :p
Yeah, all my friends would bring their DS to battle, and we would have a tourney! Winner got a free Shiny Palkia! Ahhh, memories.......

To be honest I really didn't like this game, it felt like an inferior stadium to me. That might be because I miss all of the fun mini-games and being able to choose any pokemon to rent and play with. I feel that PBR missed the mark in what it could have been.

I guess thats because I never bother training a team up ingame so I can't use actual good pokemon in PBR.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Yes, the environments looked nice, but the pokemon models (which were the most important part) barely look better than they did in stadium, so i wouldn't call PBR a success in the graphics department.
At least they looked like the Pokemon from Stadium. That way, it brings some nostalgia! :P

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, if you didn't like the announcer, you probably don't have a soul. The announcer easily made the game (who can forget "Swamped by Hydro Pump!" or "Rain continues to fall in the Colliseum!"). If you're not laughing at this point you probably don't belong on Smogon.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think this ranks as the worst Pokemon video game purchase I ever made. And I bought Hey You Pikachu. The stadiums ranged from tedious to aggravating. The Free Battle Mode didn't let your change your Pokemon to LV100 while the game did for Online Play so I had to change EVs depending on which medium I was using which was also annoying. I also remember playing my cousin in a Singles OU style match where I forfeit due to taking the risk of a Sleep Clause or something meaning they didn't include simple options that were there in the decade old Pokemon Stadium.

Only good thing it was for was practicing doubles matches against random opponents which you can do on the DS now. I'd appreciate a version for BW2 or the next generation on the Wii U, but it'll have to be a lot better made than this one for me to justify even paying half the price of a retail title for it.

Pokemon Battle Revolution thread, huh? Time for a half-asleep rant, I guess.

I don't have a lot of personal experience with playing through Pokemon Battle Revolution, honestly. I've played some of the in-game stuff (by which I mean the Gateway, the Street, and the Waterfall Colosseums) but not really any of the in-game stuff beyond that. At school, though, we used it often to play 4th-Gen battles just to have something on the big screen at our Saturday Game Nights. We looked away from the screens when preparing for battle to avoid seeing each others teams to try and recreate battles as if we were playing on the DS. Really, we used Battle Revolution for the spectacle, because some of the arenas did look pretty damn cool, my favorites being Waterfall and Sunset. (I don't think I've seen a Courtyard battle yet, but I hear that one randomly generates fog, and that would piss me off.)

When battling on there, there were a couple of problems I had because the game ran on Diamond and Pearl's engine mostly, and not the VASTLY improved later 4th-gen games. The Choice U-Turn glitch was one that kind of annoyed me since I had some teams with Scizor and Flygon on them (and Azelf and Infernape, but they didn't have Choice items). But U-Turn is awesome, so I could deal with it and move to something better. Not being able to use Rotom Appliances was a letdown, too, because I had a Heat Rotom on one of my teams. Ghost Rotom was still pretty cool to me, though, even if he lacked one of his attacks.

Really though, I always thought Battle Revolution suffered from one severe problem above all others: it was released way too early.

I mean, PBR was announced way before the Wii even came out. The original trailers were using the trainer models for Fire Red and Leaf Green and no Sinnoh Pokemon at all. In Japan, the Wii was only about a month old when the game came out, as well as a mere three months after Diamond and Pearl were released (same timeframe for America). I think this had a lot to do with why PBR lacks Platinum information and ultimately might've felt bland: because it was rushed.

Pokemon Stadium 2 came out a rather short time after Gold and Silver in America, about five or six months IIRC. But the Library in that game still had information pertaining to the later-released Crystal Version (which was revealed after plugging a Crystal game in the Transfer Pak connecting to Stadium 2). Why? Because Crystal actually came out AT THE SAME TIME as Stadium 2, both of which came out about a year after Gold and Silver. The team that developed Stadium 2 probably kept in touch with the Crystal dev team to keep compatibility between them tight and information accurate.

So it seems to me that the dev team for PBR went ahead and started working on this one before they even knew Game Freak was going to release Platinum, which contained info not found in Diamond and Pearl (alternate forms, mainly). As I'm typing this, though, I'm remembering something that makes this less surprising. Genius Sonority did Colosseum and XD, too. And those games kept Deoxys in Normal Form, didn't it?

So for now, I'm actually glad right now that we do NOT have Battle Revolution or any Stadium-style game for Black and White yet. That means that the dev team might actually have time to gather all the information for BW2 and whatever follows it, so they might be able to put together a quality product when it finally comes out.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Hopefully they'll take their time making a possible PBR 2 for BW. PBR was released in 2007, same year as Diamond and Pearl was released. Maybe they will release a PBR 2 the same time as BW 2 will be released, but yeah, hopefully a possible sequel will be better. But I was a little kid who didn't care about tiers and all that. I was happy just playing Pokemon on the Wii.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When the best thing about a game is the poketopia Electivire and Magmortar, you know you're in trouble. I played this game twice. The day I bought it, and three years later when I found out about the Poketopia mons by reading a guide on this site. I figured they'd be simple to RNG hence they were some of my first.

For all of its many, many faults, I cannot deny how much I loved the music. Like, it didn't matter how bad your opponents were or how frustrating the stadiums were, you had music like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs93W77wrNc
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdrhofZNiMs&feature=endscreen&NR=1

If they ever make Pokemon Stadium III, I really hope they bring them to VGCs and make them VGC ruleset compatible. Not going to lie, the VGC 2008 Regional videos were that much better because they were on PBR. Like, being able to watch battles projected on a big screen would be pretty awesome, not that the TVs aren't cool and all.

My fondest memory has to be fighting the strongthest trainer alive. He used super strong Pokemon like 3 starters and a Metagross. Highlight of the battle? I brought him down to his last Pokemon, Metagross, so things were getting serious for him. I had some friends with me, and I predicted that this guy knew that the only way to win would be to use the Strongest move in the game. So my next level predictions were correct and his Metagross used Hyper Beam. Good times.

And mandatory Announcer is amazing comment.

I liked the trainer customization thing. I mean, really, if you're gonna be your own trainer it's only natural you'd want to fine tune them! Or that's probably just me.

Highlight was probably early-age random wifi battles for me.

Also
about the cool announcer.

The announcer was by far my highlight. I remember trying to get a KO with every powerful move to hear what he said. Favorite: "Sky Attack rains down havoc!"

Whenever I think of this game, the announcer is always the first thing that comes to mind. The music was also pretty good, but I didn't find the game to be too enjoyable overall, except the Random Matchup feature was entertaining when not facing a team of ubers/hacks.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Honestly, if you didn't like the announcer, you probably don't have a soul. The announcer easily made the game (who can forget "Swamped by Hydro Pump!" or "Rain continues to fall in the Colosseum!"). If you're not laughing at this point you probably don't belong on Smogon.
rofl or

"What's this... the Colo..sseum!" for Trick Room

or

"Pounded by Draco Meteor!"

Not to claim to belong on Smogon or anything but the announcer being vastly inferior to the Stadium/2 announcer was a big part of why I DIDN'T like this game... that and the lack of a fun rental system, minigames, and everything else that made the Stadium games fun. I can handle them not wanting to do a 3d RPG again(even though I thought XD was probably in the top 5 of the series' best games), but I don't think this title even really competes with the Stadium games, which are on level ground with it. Always seemed lazily done to me.

Not to mention most of the RBY Pokemon's models were barely updated from Stadium 1... looked pretty ridiculous when you were fighting Arcanine with Garchomp or whatever to see the difference in detail. Lazy, lazy work.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would buy a sequel with Nick McCord as announcer regardless of game quality. Would be required to use IT'S A ONE HIT WONDER though as that is the best line from any Stadium-line game.

He should also say "What's the matter, trainer?".

But he can't spam it like the Stadium guy did. Just once, so the crowd can enjoy the effect. I imagine that much like in real life only about one in every twenty of us would "get it" but that's what makes it great, right?

I had a very complicated relationship with PBR. What ultimately prevented me from really enjoying it was the announcer, who I might not have even disliked had I not been spoiled on the beauty of the Stadiums' announcer. (To give you an example of the power the announcer had on my childhood: my brother and I still regularly call one another up out of the blue and start in a serious tone: "I have an important question to ask..." followed by "WHAT IS THE POINT OF SPLASHING?")

However, there were elements of PBR that I think the handheld games would really benefit in emulating. The chief one involves post-game battling, or whatever equivalent the Pokemon games can have to typical RPG superbosses.

To start, I'll explain my thoughts on the Battle Tower: while it is enjoyable for many people, and gives many people an opportunity to think creatively, it is also very aggravating, time-consuming, and, as far as I have seen after hundreds of lost hours, does not give a proportionate yield to the effort invested in it. With the Battle Tower, hundreds of opponents are thrown at the player with somewhat randomly put together teams, and the player will often lose not because of a defect in the team but because, statistically speaking, it is becoming likelier and likelier that he will encounter a team his modest 3-Pokemon-team just could not prepare for without sacrificing something. On top of that, a large amount of effort is lost when, say, the player has spent his whole day getting to battle 76 and has to start all over.

PBR's system, specifically in the Stargazer Colosseum (Round 2), makes much more sense to me. The player is pit against teams that are determined and can thus be reliably prepared for, and since the player does not expend a huge amount of time on those four battles, the opponents can be made more challenging. Less time is lost than in the tower, the battles can be researched and planned, and, in my opinion, victory is sweeter over more "competent" opponents.

This doesn't counterbalance all of PBR's bad, but it at least supplies something that the other games can use. Not that the tower/subway should be replaced, but rather have an alternative, as I'd much rather be able to get my trainer card star from the PBR sort of format than the Battle Tower system.

Kay, jumping back into sabbatical-mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)