NU Stats: April 2012

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Braviary and Jynx are the main things it beats which they don't
will post more when not tired
I could be using a really fast mon(see: Zebstrika) that not only outspeeds and can OHKO both and allows me to bring something else if they switch out. It also means I have not wasted that slot on something that maybe will set up Stealth Rock and that's it while sucking at doing anything else.

-The 1200 usage of Kangaskahn shows, at least in part, that research weeks work in finding good Pokemon.
I used Kanga before the research week. /Hipster

Glad people are finally realising how much of a beast she is. Her stats are pretty much in the places they need to be. She dosen't need Sp.Atk, and dosen't HAVE it. She has bulk, speed, and offense. Not to mention perfect coverage in 2 attacks [Bar Shedinja]

Also, where have all these Armaldo come from 0_o. I blame Charizard.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The usage of Golem seems to indicate how important SR is, really. I don't think that Golem is particularly amazing in any way, but I think that it's more like a fallback that players use because it basically guarantees SR and possibly an attack. There are just so many things that deal with it well though that I'm not sure if I really like using it at all. Its usage in 1337 stats is just insane, though (plus it almost has taken over #1 overall). Start packing things that beat Golem, people!

I'm still amazed that Gurdurr is only #26, even though it's probably one of the best Pokemon in the metagame right now, nor why people use Sawk so heavily still. I really don't like Sawk as a revenge-killer, although CB Sawk is still strong as fuck. The changes are where all the important stuff is though, like with the massive increase in Kanga, Rampardos, and Gardy. Thanks for putting those together erisia :)

some things I noticed in the moveset stats

Braviary
HTML:
Move    | 99.5 | Brave Bird                                                   | 
 | Move    | 97.0 | Superpower                                                   | 
 | Move    | 96.0 | U-turn                                                       | 
 | Move    | 49.6 | Rock Slide                                                   | 
 [B]| Move    | 24.7 | Frustration [/B]
I don't get it, why do only 24% of people run Frustration on Braviary? It is nice to have a STAB move that doesn't kill you in two moves, and what does Rock Slide hit that the other moves miss on? Armaldo? Magmortar? Neither should be switching in at all.

Swellow
HTML:
| Move    | 49.6 | Quick Attack                                                 | 
 | Move    | 45.3 | Protect
So it is basically a 50% guess whether or not to Sucker Punch with Absol. I always thought more ran quick attack but It is ridiculously close.

Sawsbuck
HTML:
 Ability | 55.3 | Sap Sipper                                                   | 
 | Ability | 44.7 | Chlorophyll
Also really close, I thought Chlorophyll would take the edge but Sap Sipper beats it out.

Ninjask
HTML:
 Move    | 66.6 | Baton Pass
Seriously wtf? CB ninjask is that popular? Stab U-Turn doesn't mean much when you die to anything, are 4x SR weak and have no coverage.

Magmortar
HTML:
 | Item    | 40.5 | Life Orb                                                     | 
 | Item    | 30.9 | Choice Scarf                                                 | 
 | Item    | 12.0 | Expert Belt
I thought Expert Belt was the best item? I've never used anything else for more than a few battles. Is it just me who thinks its the best or does it suck?

Ludicolo
HTML:
 Move    | 47.1 | Rain Dance
I'm surprised at that too, since all the sweepers need it to function

The usage of Golem seems to indicate how important SR is, really. I don't think that Golem is particularly amazing in any way, but I think that it's more like a fallback that players use because it basically guarantees SR and possibly an attack. There are just so many things that deal with it well though that I'm not sure if I really like using it at all. Its usage in 1337 stats is just insane, though (plus it almost has taken over #1 overall). Start packing things that beat Golem, people!
Most people already carry something to kill Golem, it's just the fact that he gets Stealth Rock, Sturdy, and Sucker Punch (as well as Rock Blast for Sub users / Ninjask) that makes him so popular. He's not hard to kill at all, he's just so useful otherwise that people are putting them on every team as a general utility mon.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Marowak should see more usage. It beats the crap out of Golem leads, can set up Stealth Rock later (or earlier if you predict a switch to Tangela) and can break through Substitutes. It also deals somewhat well with Sturdy Sawk in a 1v1 situations; although CB Close Combat can OHKO uninvested Marowak, nothing else does, and Bonemerang OHKOs through Sturdy. It can also switch into random Thunder Waves and Volt Switches, which is cool. Just pack Magmortar for Grass types and Weezing, and you're done.

Also, what are we going to do when Cryogonal invariably moves to RU in July? Armaldo will be the only decent offensive Rapid Spinner left, and the only other one I'd really consider using is Torkoal... does this mean that people are going to just pack something to force Rock types out before they can use Stealth Rock? Specially offensive Samurott looks like a good candidate as it can use Taunt pretty well against Rock types too, and it's certainly not dead weight. Alternatively, Swords Dance + Taunt Samurott can just set up on them afterwards, although Golem may be a pain. Anti-leads such as CB Rampardos and the aforementioned Marowak will probably rise too.

I thought Expert Belt was the best item? I've never used anything else for more than a few battles. Is it just me who thinks its the best or does it suck?
It sucks, scarfed is where it's at.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to agree with Raseri here, Expert Belt is definitely one of Magmortars best sets, and defeinitely my favorite. I don't see the potential of using Scarf Magmortar when it fails to revenge kill so many important threats (Gorebyss), as well as losing to other Scarf users like Sawk and Rotom-S. Its coverage is its best advantage, it should use it.

I'm going to agree with Raseri here, Expert Belt is definitely one of Magmortars best sets, and defeinitely my favorite. I don't see the potential of using Scarf Magmortar when it fails to revenge kill so many important threats (Gorebyss), as well as losing to other Scarf users like Sawk and Rotom-S. Its coverage is its best advantage, it should use it.
Indeed, since the start of the gen with NU, Mortar expert belt was one of my mons/set fav, this mon can lure many things: Quagsire, grass types others water types, etc. Nice extra power with Expert Belt and p.good coverage.

I like too the set Magmortar Flame Charge as late game sweeper special.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just a question: if everyone "knows" Expert Belt is the best item, doesn't that make it lose its surprise value? Frankly nowadays I'm more surprised when Magmortar is Scarfed than Expert Belted, especially since a lot of people play it wrong (as in they immediately show they can switch moves instead of bluffing for a little and racking up passive damage on the opponent with switching).

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Despite losing it surprise value it can still force a lot of teams into difficult predictions. If the opponents team has a few mons slower than Magmortar (Quagsire, Tangela, Defensive Cryogonal, Flareon etc) then they could easily handle the Choiced sets, but cannot touch Expert Belt. This is made even better by the fact it doesn't take LO recoil.

If its played well and actually bluffed correctly then it can still be amazing.

Yeah I agree. The high damage output without the Life Orb recoil can really help, since Tangela may switch in when it sees no recoil and then get Roasted by Fire Blast. A choice scarf can suprise neutral foes like Band Sawk that can take a hit, but not the second one. It can be really great if it is bluffed correctly, like Django said.

some things I noticed in the moveset stats

Ninjask
HTML:
 Move    | 66.6 | Baton Pass
Seriously wtf? CB ninjask is that popular? Stab U-Turn doesn't mean much when you die to anything, are 4x SR weak and have no coverage.
i was one of those using cb ninjask, who was extremely effective even with SR weakness. Of course, i made sure to keep staryu alive so he could spin. and without spin support, i could pull out ninjask and u-turn 3 times.

| 29 | Swellow | 415 | 8.089% | 345 | 8.093% |

Wow, Swelow used to be a threat that all teams would prepare for, guess there are just too many counters running around in fear of it.

It's mainly just that Rocks are so over ubundant in the tier, and you really only need Golem / Probopass / Regirock by themselves to stop Swellow cold-turkey.

Hi guys, I've been wondering what the noob mons of neverused are. These are pokemon that are high on the regular stats but low on the 1200 stats. So I decided to make a list!

So I decided to use the following criteria:
The pokemon must have at least 3% usage on the regular stats
The pokemon must have under 1% usage on the 1200 stats.

So using this model I have determined the NUb mons!

HTML:
54   | Kadabra         | 1949   |  4.036% | 1562   |  3.823% |
HTML:
87   | Kadabra         | 43     |  0.838% | 38     |  0.891% |
Kadabra is an interesting Pokemon to find here; I find it actually does an ok job this meta, its fast and strong? Is it actually a NUb mon or did we just not have time to fit it on our teams last month?

HTML:
 65   | Carracosta      | 1551   |  3.212% | 1292   |  3.162%
HTML:
113  | Carracosta      | 14     |  0.273% | 13     |  0.305% |
Carracosta just can't break past the physical walls of the tier(except for Regirock I guess) and is still handlable at +2 since it can't break past Tangela without giving up coverage or priority. I think it belongs here

Code:
58   | Torkoal         | 1808   |  3.744% | 1635   |  4.002% |
No 1200 stats found.

I've never seen someone use this well in a long time, I will try to boost him up this month though.

HTML:
55   | Gigalith        | 1905   |  3.945% | 1822   |  4.459% |
HTML:
98   | Gigalith        | 31     |  0.604% | 31     |  0.727% |
Niche over Golem: stronger rock blast?
Reasons Golem is better: faster, STAB EQ, priority, electric immunity, rock resist.

Just use Golem. Please.

Are there any other mons that I missed? Many pokemon just missed the cut in my criteria, like Butterfree, Floatzel and lol Metang.

Metang actually got use in the 1200 stats, are we just really bad or does someone know how to use it?

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Metang actually got use in the 1200 stats, are we just really bad or does someone know how to use it?
Considering I give up points from an alt the last day of a month to get silly shit in the 1200 stats I think not,and seeing how easy it is to get above 1200 one can play there all month if he wants to and get it there eventually.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Raseri, the reason Kadabra is on that list is because there was literally no reason to use it over Jynx last round (ok well there were reasons to use it over Jynx but nobody did).

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
Kadabra actually is surprisingly underrated; I should use it more, it's really really strong and has good coverage.

Too bad it's so frail.

Only thing I worry about with Kadabra is stuff outspeeding it, and absol. A sub / Psychic / Shadow Ball / HP Fight set is definitely standard while base 105 is among the fastest in NU. You just have to keep a Sub up at all times, which once it falls you're done.

I'm very interested to see what happens to Magmortar usage now that Jynx has been banned, seeing as people will no longer need a Vital Spirit switch-in on the Lovely Kiss prediction. I have a feeling that's one of the main reasons his usage was so damn high. Im also suprised at the ranking Jynx had on teams with 1200+ points. Being that it was banned, you would expect it to be much higher percentage wise, but it's refreshing to see that some of the top players aren't even using a Pokemon that the counseled deemed was unfair.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm very interested to see what happens to Magmortar usage now that Jynx has been banned, seeing as people will no longer need a Vital Spirit switch-in on the Lovely Kiss prediction. I have a feeling that's one of the main reasons his usage was so damn high. Im also suprised at the ranking Jynx had on teams with 1200+ points. Being that it was banned, you would expect it to be much higher percentage wise, but it's refreshing to see that some of the top players aren't even using a Pokemon that the counseled deemed was unfair.
Magmortar wasn't used solely to absorb sleep; it's a very powerful wallbreaker and can plow through teams on its own. In fact, I think it'd be rejoicing now that Jynx is gone, since it loses a faster check (Jynx Psyshock would OHKO after SR damage). I don't think the Jynx ban will affect its usage at all.

Poliwrath in NU Would be nice, And from last few times i've seen a Electivire in RU It really didn't do anything so i believe it could use the drop to NU.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hmmm, when it comes to Jynx's removal affecting Magmortar usage, I'd say the Scarf set will become slightly less popular, the Specs and LO sets will become slightly more popular, and Magmortar popularity will decrease slightly overall in favour of Emboar. But that's just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)