New Headphones/Earbuds?

Hi everybody!

So, a while back I had bought a set of headphones. Quality headphones, at and they were on sale, too, which made me really happy. I loved listening to them, and I ended up having them around my neck pretty much all the time.

Just a while ago, they broke. No sound is coming out of the right earpiece, so I only get part of my music playing. Turns out that you're not supposed to be twisting the cord, because the wires inside are brittle and break easily if you do that. Woops.

Anyways, I've been forced to use my old iPhone earbuds, which might be alright for some, but don't really work for the kind of music I listen to. So lately I've been looking to pick up a new pair of headphones or earbuds. i figured you guys might have some suggestions.

Here's what I need.
- Inexpensive (under $100? Or at least not much over that...)
- Good Sound quality (Bass, please)
- Doesn't break easily
- Easy to bring with me (not freaking huge, you know?)
- Comfortable on the ears (some of the shapes of the earbuds hurt)

If anyone has any personal experience with a pair of earbuds or headphones, and they fit the above criteria, maybe take a moment to put in a recommendation?

Thanks in advance

Edit: Here's some of the music I listen to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUOlc_j4rMA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie7yXaYdUUc
The two below are kind of long. Like, over 10 minutes long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFPV8DwB8ig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUyImGvijN0

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was unimpressed with the S4 when I went to test them out from a friend who owned them. Especially since in Canada they cost about 130 dollars with tax unless you get them on sale, and they're not worth that much cash.

If you're really on a budget, and don't mind over-the-head headphones, try the Portapros. They're obviously not the greatest sounding but you can usually pick up a pair for 40-50 dollars and even less when they're on a sale (I picked up mine for 35 on a sale) and they're, in my opinion, the best bang for buck.

Sennheiser generally has the best "headphones" for personal use. The HD 280 PRO's are right at $100 and pretty much outclass everything under $200 that isn't from Sennheiser.

Also, I know I posted a link from CNET but do not trust them for audio advice. Their headphone section is currently sparse and incomplete, and they will not give you a comprehensive look as to what headphones you should buy compared to the competition. I would recommend poking around some other forums for the best recommendations.

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Don't buy earbuds! You'll go deaf, they're the most horrible things ever. A cheap pair of Sony headphones at the local Best Buy would probably do. They are foldable (thus compact) and are indestructible.

Sennheiser make a quality headphone, you won't be disappointed with them.

If that doesn't take your fancy then I would recommened a pair of AKG. I've been using the K 518 DJ for about a year now and have had absolutely no problems with them. They come in a bit above your price range, but you really won't be let down.
This. But I have this model instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MK-II-Earbuds-Carrying/dp/B001EZYMF4

Or, I had previously a Sony Bass Earbuds before my cat decided it was play time with the wires (he was fluffy and adorable enough to spare his life) ;_;

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX35...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336333204&sr=1-18

Sennheiser generally has the best "headphones" for personal use. The HD 280 PRO's are right at $100 and pretty much outclass everything under $200 that isn't from Sennheiser.

Also, I know I posted a link from CNET but do not trust them for audio advice. Their headphone section is currently sparse and incomplete, and they will not give you a comprehensive look as to what headphones you should buy compared to the competition. I would recommend poking around some other forums for the best recommendations.
As someone who owns a pair of HD 280 Pros and loves them I'm not sure I would recommend them for the OP. They are rather large and not particularly portable (not sure if this matters to you or not but they are most certainly not a fashion statement headphone) and while the bass is nice after the burn in period, it's certainly nothing too booming, which sounds like what the OP wants.

SVC Marshmallows are what I use. $15 at walmart. Very nice sounding and very comfortably shaped.

Don't buy earbuds! You'll go deaf, they're the most horrible things ever. A cheap pair of Sony headphones at the local Best Buy would probably do. They are foldable (thus compact) and are indestructible.
eh?

The apple headphones work very nice and are like really cheap. Just dont blow the headphone with crazy dubstep loudness.(happened to me)

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No you won't. Not sure if that was a weak attempt at a hyperbole, but there's no reason or studies to suggest that your hearing will be negatively affected by using earbuds (also, coincidentally, open can headphones would probably do the most damage, since outside noises are more prevalent, causing the user to up the volume on his headphones for a more clearer sound; noise cancelling earphones or headphones will be your safest bet if you're that worried about your hearing). I've used shitty earbuds for the past 5 years, and my hearing is still pretty intact.

As for the cheap pair of Sonys, don't. Most of them are terrible quality and sound tinny and aren't worth the money you're throwing down for the piece of shit that is made up of plastic and electronics. I have a pair of Sonys that I got for 40 (coincidentally for my mom on Christmas, but she never uses them) and they're pretty terrible.

Also, I guess it would depend on what you were using the headphones for; if you're using them for outdoors and for exercise, the Klipsch s5is are pretty durable and sound very nice. If you're using them solely for inside, then the Sennheisers recommended above are a good choice. If mostly transit, you'll probably want a pair that cancels out background noise. It would help to know where you'll be using your headphones.

In you're discussing over the ear headphones I would recommend the Sony XB-500. They are extremely comfortable and the bass is excellent. Only downside is that your ears may get warm after moderate using them for a while.

Again if you're looking for earbuds I can't help but for a stay at home pair of headphones you can't go wrong. They retail for $80 but amazon often has them for $50.

I know this is a pretty unpopular opinion, but I think that Skullcandy Ink'd and Titan earbuds are pretty good. I'm not an audiophile, but every pair I've had has lasted a pretty long time and have pretty great sound quality. They're not super obnoxious like their headphones are, either.

Ink'd are about $20 and Titans are about $30-40.

I know this is a pretty unpopular opinion, but I think that Skullcandy Ink'd and Titan earbuds are pretty good. I'm not an audiophile, but every pair I've had has lasted a pretty long time and have pretty great sound quality. They're not super obnoxious like their headphones are, either.

Ink'd are about $20 and Titans are about $30-40.
The Ink'd are not that great in my experience. The Titans are alright, but I found these Altec Lansing headphones are a lot better at the same price point. I got them for 30 at Best Buy since I had a gift card but I found them on Amazon for literally less than 9 bucks a few weeks later. They're relatively comfortable with pretty good sound, but most importantly, they are like 8 bucks! The nylon cord is actually really nice in terms of tangling. I had a pair of skullcandy headphones that frayed really easily near the 3.5mm jack but so far the nylon cord has protected the wires pretty well.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
They're dirt cheap, and probably not as good of quality as any pair that you'll spend any amount of money on, but I've had these Koss big muff headphones that I bought from Walmart for 20$ for like 10 years now and they still work great. My little girl yanks on the cord, and I probably roll over the cord multiple times every day. I've had to tape up the Left headphone to keep it in place, but geez, once you've found a pair of headphones that sound good, fit your head, and don't fall apart you can't let them go.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
i have some sennheiser cx 215s! they were like 35 dollars on amazon and they sound better than any headphones that ive ever had. they also block out noise GREAT. they come in 3 sizes -- i use small. once i put them in, i don't have to put my ipod up to more than half ever, even on the bus. great headphones, do recommend!!

I have a pair of Sony MDR-EX57SL in-earphones. Came at a pretty decent price of Rs. 1500 (roughly $30). Treble and mid-range is fantastic. Bass is on the lower side, but it is sharp (not boomy like others). Noise cancellation works well in airplanes and stuff but it isn't active noise cancellation quality (just passive noise cancellation on these). It is a good buy compared to other 'phones in that range.

I just recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 429's and they've been great. I'm enjoying the sound quality from playing music quite a lot although this may be the case because I've been using crappy 20$ Philips headset for over a year now lol. The price is in your range at 79.95$ and it is extremely comfortable. The only downside might be the size. It's large but that's what you would expect from any over-the-ear headphones.

Come back afteryour Beats earbuds break like every single one of mine do. There's a reason why they have lifetime warrantees.

Beats are a crap overpriced marketing ploy, they may be a bit big for your need but Audio Technica ATH M-50 are universally considered among the best headphones in that price range.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
MeelectronicI R1's have treated me well. I'd really suggest them for cheap iems. Also don't buy Beats

First of all, don't get Beats.

Second of all, look at Sennheiser. I use the Sennheiser HD 428 headphones. They can be found at most Best Buys and cost about 70 dollars. REALLY good sound quality. Pretty much the best headphones you can get for under $100. Another alternative for around the same price is the Creative Aurvana Live! although the Sennheiser HD 428s have more bass. I like the Skullcandy Aviators too.

Over $100 I would recommend the V-Moda Crossfade M-80s. EXTREMELY sturdy build quality and some of the best sound available.

Be wary of the cord length of headphones you find on the internet however. Some of them are more for at home / studio use and have extremely long cord lengths (>9 feet). Also the Sennheiser 428 headphone has a flimsy little cord so you probably want a warranty / rewire if you're into that. But I've had mines since December and I've used them constantly with no problems.

I've heard these are good but I'd never go in public rocking these: x

First of all, don't get Beats. Second of all, look at Sennheiser. I use the Sennheiser HD 428 headphones.mines since December and I've used them constantly with no problems.
I own a pair of those, but would not recommend them over the Sony-XB500's, which are also under $100.

oh yes the xb500s are nice

if you like rocking two monster truck tires around your ears:

also they leak a lot of sound. but out of the xb series they are the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)