5th Gen Contact Items

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
With the BW metagame winding down as we count the days to Black 2 & White 2’s release, I think it would be interesting to look back on some of BW’s items. BW didn’t give us that greatest items, but it by far gave us the most interesting items. Most of these items haven’t been properly looked at by the community since the very early months of the game so maybe some opinions have changed or we’re able to see some uses for them better than we could all those months ago.

So yeah, an item discussion thread in 2012 on the OU board no less.
Have at it!
Oh and if any of you have good examples for the uses of these items, I'll make sure to add and quote them into the OP.

Air Balloon
Effect: Gives the holder immunity to Ground-type moves, Spikes and Toxic Spikes; but pops when the holder is attacked.

Heatran on a Balloon. (And various Steel- or Rock-types) What else needs to be said?

Red Card
Effect: A one-time use item that forces the opponent to switch to a random Pokémon when the holder is attacked.

Deoxys-D can use this item to score at least 2 free layers of hazards normally and Forretress and the like can use it to phase Spin Blockers away, getting one free Spin at the cost of an item. But aside from those two and very niche sets for Mew and Jirachi, this item really never found its purpose in mainstream OU.
Red Card: Red Card forretress has another advantage in that it can set up hazards as the opponent boosts as much as they like, only to be forced out as Forry hangs on with Sturdy. I've heard of it being used effectively in Ubers.

Rocky Helmet
Effect: Contact moves used against the holder will damage the attacker with 1/6 of their maximum HP.

I have to stop you for a second. You need to realize that someone at GF, an actual person, had the idea of gluing rocks to a helmet and not only did a person have this idea, but it actually was chosen to be included in the game. A dark story about stealing Pokémon; people’s friends; truths and ideals, yin vs yang, and suddenly Rocky Helmet.

While the concept is beyond ridiculous, the effect of the item isn’t bad. Skarmory and Ferrothorn make pretty great use of this item; with Skarmory wearing down Scizor, making VoltTurn less effective and Ferrothorn just being exceptionally annoying by removing big chunks of HP per touch and can act as a form of Spin Blocker is the damage KOs the Spinning Pokemon. It’s by no means a bad item, but it is controversial as any Pokémon running this item gives up Leftovers.
I've used rocky helmet to decent success on Hydra-Rest Vaporeon, if you toxic or burn something, like say CB Haxorus you can just spam rest as he kills himself with Outrage. You can still Roar out things looking to just set up on you.

Absorb Bulb
Effect: A one-time use item that raises the holder's Special Attack when hit by a Water-type move.

This is a very interesting item. It’s Storm Drain in an item but it doesn’t give any immunites. It’s only faults are that it’s one-time use and outclassed by Life Orb due to how situational it is. Starmie and Rotom-W are the best users of the item, turning opposing Politoed, Jellicent, or Water-types in general into a +1 boost if you can coax a Water move on the switch. Dragons and Grass-types can make some use out of it as well, but it’s still very gimmicky.

Absorb Bulb (and Cell Battery) can be very useful in doubles. A common tactic to use Drizzle Politoed paired with Swift Swim Ludicolo. Ludicolo takes little damage from Politoed's Surf (being a four times resist), it activates his Bulb, and he then has effectively a Choice Scarf and Choice Specs boost without any drawbacks (thanks entirely to his partner Politoed). For the Battery you need to use Discharge, which is riskier in the case where you paralyse your partner.

Cell Battery
Effect: A one-time use item that raises the holder's Attack one stage when hit by an Electric-type attack.

Cell Battery is slightly less gimmicky than Absorb Bulb because of the omnipresent Rotom-W’s reliance on Volt Switch, but just as situational. There’s plenty of things that would love a +1 boost to Attack for switching into Rotom-W, but none of which would want to give up Life Orb or Choice Items. In all honesty, Virizion seems like the only Pokémon that would dare go near this item. It’s a shame that it doesn’t activate on immunities since the item would be made for Electivire.

Eject Button
Effect: A one-time use item that forces the holder to switch out when hit by an attack that makes contact.

This is a very odd item. Tailwind Pranksters, Tornadus and Whimsicott, can make good use of this item to allow the incoming Pokemon to have the maximum number of Tailwind turns. But other than that, this item has very little use if any.
Eject Button: I suppose I have to mention the ridiculous Cofagrigus/Slaking combination here. It's obviously a terrible gimmick, but it's probably the best use I can see for this item.

Ring Target
Effect: The holder loses its type immunities. Does not affect immunities caused by abilities.

Ring Target really has no visable purpose. It’s clearly meant to be Tricked onto Pokémon like Skarmory to remove Ground-immunity, but Tricking Choice Items is far more crippling, making the item obsolete. I've seen Rotom-Ws Trick these onto Gastrodons to allow for SE Electric attacks to work on it and Claydols Tricking them onto Skarmory to Earth Power them, but those are extremely particular situations. Unless you’re purposefully removing immunities so a Pokémon like Landorus can sweep with just Earthquake, which is probably out-classed by Gravity support anyway, this item has no purpose. Then again, who am I to stop you from pulling off an epic sweep with Lightning Rod Rhyperior?
Ring Target: Trick + Ring target Starmie is potentially viable, allowing for guaranteed spins throughout the match from a reasonably bulky Starmie.
Even though I counted Ring Target which isn't quite a contact item, I'm not counting Eviolite because that's a giant can of worms that has it's own bible buried somewhere on this board already.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Here's some ideas (largely not mine), some of which are questionably viable, but are probably the best uses of the items in question:

Red Card: Red Card forretress has another advantage in that it can set up hazards as the opponent boosts as much as they like, only to be forced out as Forry hangs on with Sturdy. I've heard of it being used effectively in Ubers.

Rocky Helmet: I see this a lot on Deoxys-D for some reason. Don't really know why, except maybe for annoying Jirachi. Ferrothorn is almost certainly the best user for me; it's basically a spin blocker for some teams (e.g M Dragon's rain stall).

Eject Button: I suppose I have to mention the ridiculous Cofagrigus/Slaking combination here. It's obviously a terrible gimmick, but it's probably the best use I can see for this item.

Ring Target: Trick + Ring target Starmie is potentially viable, allowing for guaranteed spins throughout the match from a reasonably bulky Starmie.

Here's some ideas (largely not mine), some of which are questionably viable, but are probably the best uses of the items in question:

Rocky Helmet: I see this a lot on Deoxys-D for some reason. Don't really know why, except maybe for annoying Jirachi. Ferrothorn is almost certainly the best user for me; it's basically a spin blocker for some teams (e.g M Dragon's rain stall).

I like these ideas, especially red card forry. Also, I like this jc guy.

Dream World Durant can also try to make use of the Eject Button. Use Entrainment to give your foe Truant, then they hit you and you eject out to a Shadow Tag or Arena Trap Pokémon who can Protect every other turn and set up for free. They could just choose not to attack Durant; but then you're risking it being the Hone Claws Hustle variety. (Which is admittedly very rare to see.)

Absorb Bulb (and Cell Battery) can be very useful in doubles. A common tactic to use Drizzle Politoed paired with Swift Swim Ludicolo. Ludicolo takes little damage from Politoed's Surf (being a four times resist), it activates his Bulb, and he then has effectively a Choice Scarf and Choice Specs boost without any drawbacks (thanks entirely to his partner Politoed). For the Battery you need to use Discharge, which is riskier in the case where you paralyse your partner.

you forgot the famous combo of trick-ring target starmie spin. (or claydol)

mention that rapid spinners can spin on ghosts when tricked ona ring target.
and mention how Rhyperior and marowak can use ring target to switch into electric moves and get a +1 attack (LOL JK)

Pretty nice thread for items that don't see too much main-stream use.

Anyway, the Absorb Bulb is actually a pretty viable item in doubles. In the 2012 March International Tournament, I faced an opponent who had a lead of Drizzle Politoed and Ludicolo. Politoed used Surf and activated Ludicolo's Absorb Bulb. Ludicolo took like 5% damage, and got +1 in SpA and proceeded to destroy my team (I just used my singles team for the tournament and had no experience in doubles). It is an overlooked item, but it is impressive.

EDIT: Showsni already mentioned it.

The only one I see get any real use is air balloon. Mainly on Terrakion and Heatran as they lose a common weakness. It's also amazing the amount of people who don't read that they're on an air balloon and try to EQ, giving you a free set up.
Finally it lets you give Rotom-f a triple ground immunity thanks to trollfreak.

Rocky Helmet is good on Ferrothorn in conjunction with iron barbs, but I wouldn't switch it for leftovers.

Rocky helmet is very useful on skarmory for volturn chains, scizor can't enters so many times and it helps a lot, ferrothorn doesn't have any instant recovery move and needs leftovers

I wouldn't say Ferrothorn needs Leftovers, since many run Shed Shell and manage just fine with Leech Seed recovery. I see no reason why Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn couldn't do the same, all while helping to wear down Volt-Turn. Skarmory is a good user thanks to Roost, but Ferrothorn is dishing out a lot more damage once you account for Iron Barbs too. All depends on what your team needs.

I wouldn't say Ferrothorn needs Leftovers, since many run Shed Shell and manage just fine with Leech Seed recovery. I see no reason why Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn couldn't do the same, all while helping to wear down Volt-Turn. Skarmory is a good user thanks to Roost, but Ferrothorn is dishing out a lot more damage once you account for Iron Barbs too. All depends on what your team needs.
Yes, rocky helmet can be useful on ferrothorn but phisically skarmory is a better rocky helmet user (remember that ferrothorn is used especially for the special defensive side) and leftovers are more usefull especially with protect and leech seed that give ferrothorn more staying power (and a bit of recover if ferrothorn was burned)

One nice application I've seen for Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn is a pseudo-spin blocker; anything hitting it with Rapid Spin takes 29% damage, and if the user faints as a result hazards won't be removed. It's like Spiker Froslass, but with actually decent stats and typing.

I've used rocky helmet to decent success on Hydra-Rest Vaporeon, if you toxic or burn something, like say CB Haxorus you can just spam rest as he kills himself with Outrage. You can still Roar out things looking to just set up on you.

Shit, I never even thought of that and I WROTE the damn Hydra-Rest Vaporeon set. I remember how things like Haxorus and Lucario and stuff that could 2HKO you being annoying, because even though you can take the hits you couldn't do anything else. With Rocky Helmet, problem solved! Of course, losing leftovers can be a pain but it's not nearly as vital on Hydra-Rest Vaporeon as it is on other walls. I might have to make a change to my analysis...

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Red Card Deoxys-D is really interesting, because you can set up hazards worry free of anything that is stat boosting alongside you. Then when they are forced to attack(ususally they set up fully letting u get 3 layers) they are ejected out losing their stat boosts but you keep your hazard layers :]

jc104

Humblest person ever
The problem with Red Card is that it doesn't work if your Pokemon is OHKOed. This is why I would be cautious about setting up with a Red Card Deoxys-D in that manner.

As mentioned previously, Forretress is far more effective because of Sturdy and Rapid Spin, which prevents the opponent setting up hazards alongside you.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Even after a set-up turn almost nothing can OHKo Deo-D and besides that the main point of red card is not to phaze set-up sweepers, but simply to send out the Pokemon that was leading against deo-d after the first attack to get a hopefully more favorable match-up that could allow you to get up more hazards and especially against stall and balanced teams that works often really well.

Also Deo-D can't really utilize any other item outside of rocky helmet and maybe the resist berrys anyway.

Oh and Red Card is also glitched on PO and works with every move and not just contact moves wich makes it a lot better than it would be normally ;)

jc104

Humblest person ever
Could you provide some evidence that there is in fact a glitch? Generally I do not find serebii and bulbapedia to be reliable sources of information. Every other (more reliable) source I look at does not mention contact moves.

If you set up 3 layers of spikes, the opponent may well have 3 turns of setup (or more, given that Deo-D has no real offensive presence) . Deoxys-D is going to need to use Taunt to force the opponent to attack and be forced out, which largely defeats the point of the Red Card anyway.

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent item on Deo-D, but only for the reason you said; it allows Deo-D to take an unboosted attack and bring in some potential setup bait.

Also, Leftovers is an extremely obvious item to put on a Deoxys-D.

Even after a set-up turn almost nothing can OHKo Deo-D and besides that the main point of red card is not to phaze set-up sweepers, but simply to send out the Pokemon that was leading against deo-d after the first attack to get a hopefully more favorable match-up that could allow you to get up more hazards and especially against stall and balanced teams that works often really well.

Also Deo-D can't really utilize any other item outside of rocky helmet and maybe the resist berrys anyway.

Oh and Red Card is also glitched on PO and works with every move and not just contact moves wich makes it a lot better than it would be normally ;)
The Red Card is supposed to work on every move not a glitch

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Yeah i just looked it up in the research thread seems like its not a glitch, even though bulbapedia says something about contact moves.

Well lefties isn't that great on deo-d, because deo-d basically wants to die after two or three turns so you can get something in without the need to switch especially if you don't run an attacking move.

I created a whole team based around having my entire team hold red cards. All my pokemon also had phasing moves and a lot of entry hazards, it worked pretty well.

Rocky helmet is very useful on Ferrothorn, as it and leech seed combined will make any Pokemon that makes contact with it lose nearly 1/3 of the health. Red card also seems like a potent way to deal with some set-up sweepers.

Electivire got trolled

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)