Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
So if you aren't watching Game of Thrones you should be. To summarize it would be impossible since it blows everything else on tv out of the water.

Post about it here and make sure that if you are going to post spoilers that you put them in hide tags. This is the same for book ones and it would probably be best to put the book number in the tag incase someone is partially through the series.

haven't started season 2 yet but i'm a bit busy right now.

i've read all the books so far, but i now i'm going to need to spend like 5 hours on the wiki page just reading the plot summaries to remember all of the characters and places once book 6 comes out

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Book discussion is fine as long as you spoiler it because I think a lot of people are just watching the show. Personally I think book discussion is more fun anyway.

I've been a huge lover of the books for years, and was totally psyched when the TV show debuted. The first season was incredible, and the second season is shaping up to be even better. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a good fantasy series / TV show to get into.

And here's the obligatory question: who would be on the theme team? Let's look at all nine Great Houses:

Targaryen: Hydreigon
Baratheon: Sawsbuck
Arryn: Swellow
Stark: Mightyena
Greyjoy: Tentacruel
Lannister: Entei or Arcanine
Tully: Remoraid
Martell: Solrock
Tyrell: Meganium or Sunflora

Just made this my desktop background. Fucking love this show. All of the storylines are in great places right now, nobody's boring.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
fuck yeah thrones thread.

I still haven't read a Dance with Dragons yet, but I'm picking it up this weekend.
Anyway, which was a sad moment in the show for you guys? Mine is tied between Lady's death in season 1/book 1 and the scene where
Rodrik Cassel gets killed in episode 6 of s2. It was different from the books, but Bran's, Theon's, and Rickon's actors really gave a lot of depth to the scene.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
The saddest moment had to be the big shocker in episode nine. I hadn't read the books at that point so I was absolutely sure he would find a way to get out of it. Alas it was not to be.

I've never watched the show but I'm SUCH a book nerd.
I'm still sad that
Ygritte dies. WHY? It almost made me cry. ALSO Jon cannot be dead. I refuse to accept this.

Hyena are cats glasscobra. Absolutely shameful.
If you're going to get technical, hyenas are more closely related to dogs, actually. But I was going solely by resemblance to the House's crest.
Just made this my desktop background. Fucking love this show. All of the storylines are in great places right now, nobody's boring.
Epic. Dinklage really brings Tyrion to life. I'm sure there only a few people who could play the role as well as he does.
The saddest moment had to be the big shocker in episode nine. I hadn't read the books at that point so I was absolutely sure he would find a way to get out of it. Alas it was not to be.
Yeahh, Martin definitely isn't the traditional "good always triumphs over evil" fantasy writer. He very much favors the gray characters, like Tyrion and Varys and Littlefinger. And he is totally unopposed to killing main characters, not something you commonly see in high fantasy.

I just finished watching episode 6 from season 2. Like, literally 5 minutes ago.
I love Arya's personal assasin. Too bad she only has one kill left.

Also, I really wish John Snow would man up already.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
LOL

you thought THAT was sad...wait till the end of season 2. you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume it is fair game to talk about plot points regarding the current episodes of Game of Thrones, so if you don't make that assumption, I recommend reading carefully.

Gotta say I really enjoy the shows portrayal of the plot and characters...lots of things are made explicit that weren't necessarily outright stated in the books, like Loras + Renly homosexuality and Stannis fucking Melisandre. I also enjoy how the show consistently reiterates just how fucked up Joffrey is...I know some people have grown tired of it(Justin####) but honestly, "hit her with it" in episode 4 of this season made me rofl.

Highly recommend the books to you all, the massive plot and intricately weaved character lines yield a massively entertaining series.

Also if Justin#### posts don't listen to anything he says.

Why shouldn't people listen to me? Books 4 and 5 are awful books by themselves. The only reason to read them is to finish the great story that Books 1-3 started.

As far as the TV show goes, I'm not sure how much cruelty you need from Joffrey until you realize he is a dickhead. He had the fat boy killed. He had Sansa's direwolf killed. He had Eddard Stark killed. He has Sansa beat. Does the show really need to go on and on and on about how cruel he is when there are at least 20 other major characters that need more screen time? I'd imagine that people who haven't read the books don't even know who Roose Bolton is. Some of them might not even know who Loras is. Do they even know the youngest Stark boy's name? Do people know the Night's Watch Commander's name? etc. There are way too many important characters in this series to waste so much time shoving in our faces how cruel Joffrey is every single episode.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
i think it's perfectly fine to make the audience hate the shit out of him. it's pretty entertaining to watch just how fucked up joffrey is. tyrion's povs involving him were probably among my favorite to read anyway.

and if this is what they're doing with joffrey, i can't wait to see ramsay.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
I thought the 4th and 5th book were still really good, though Dany needs to get off her ass and do things which hopefully she will soon.

Now don't click this unless you have read through book 5 unless you want stuff ruined.

I don't think Jon is gone for good. I think he is going to Warg into Ghost for a time being until Mellisandre resurrects him the same way that Thoros resurrects Beric. Night watchmen also serve until death so since Jon died he wouldn't be held by his vows anymore allowing him to become one of the heads of the dragon once Dany comes to Westeros.

Now with regards to the Starks their has to be some connection with them and the others. They are the Kings of Winter and the Others come with Winter. I think they must either have the secret to defeat the Other's in the cripts of Winterfell or they some how end up aligning themselves with the Other's. Nothing in the series has been black and white so I'm guessing the Other's can't be black and white either and we are going to be getting some perspective on them during the next book so it's plausible that the Stark'd could be related, but right now I'm leaning more towards the cripts, because of the amount of times Martin has foreshadowed them. Their has to be something down their whether it's Jon finding the secret of his parentage of something more out their is still up in the air.

Aegon is most likely fake, though Connington doesn't know it yet. My theory is that he is the son of Illyrio and a Blackfyre which would explain the Targ like appearence. Also explains how he was able to give old child like clothes meant for royalty to Tyrion since they were of the same size that Aegon would have been when he went to train with Connington.

So what do you guys think?

Also I literally screamed YESSS when Roose mentioned Ramsey. I thought they might have cut him since he hadn't been cast and obviously hadn't been in the season yet. Too bad about the Reeds, but them might be in the next season.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Well, didn't Varys smuggle Aegon to Essos? I'm sure he wouldn't mistake the baby Aegon for another. I mean. It's Varys. We'll see once he sees his aunt.

And nice connection between the Starks and the Others. Cool how some houses have connections, eh? The Starks with wolves and the Targaryens with dragons.

I am also fine with Joffrey getting a lot of screen time. Loras didn't really seem that important to me in the books. Margarey is, but we see a lot of her in the show, as much as we saw her in the books. Though I got to admit, they are leaving a lot of important characters behind. The Freys that visit Winterfell, the Reeds(which become an important asset to Bran), Edmure, Blackfish, ect.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
The Aegon is Illyrio's son theory is based on the idea that the didn't actually smuggle him out and the real Aegon is dead.

The Stark words Winter is Coming could be a threat not a warning.

Well not a ton of Margarey in the books but she has taken over the Queen of Thorns role so she should be getting more screen time.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If you're going to get technical, hyenas are more closely related to dogs, actually. But I was going solely by resemblance to the House's crest.
If you're going to get technical you could actually look it up on this thing called the internet, cause Carnivora Feliformia Hyaenidae, as in Feline. Because they have Feline skull formation. Which makes just about any dog a better replacement for a wolf, like the two you put on the Lannister crest instead of Luxray the actual Lion.

Anyway even the second book I didn't feel was as good as the first, but the TV show shits all over it and is even worse. It's kind of painful to watch right now but I at least have to stick with it to see Blackwater, which will be written by Martin himself.

That's not the THE theory though. I've heard compelling arguments that Jon Snow is actually gonna be the resurrected Azor Ahai, as well as that he is a Targaryan born of Ned's sister (think back to Ned's secret, and Aemon's speech to Jon).

And here's the obligatory question: who would be on the theme team? Let's look at all nine Great Houses:

Targaryen: Hydreigon
Baratheon: Sawsbuck
Arryn: Swellow
Stark: Mightyena
Greyjoy: Tentacruel
Lannister: Entei or Arcanine
Tully: Remoraid
Martell: Solrock
Tyrell: Meganium or Sunflora
Not an artist at all, but you prompted me to spend my morning making this, which was fun, thanks. May do the rest once I get some time. Agreeing with Luxray for Lannisters though, I think.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Nah, Lannisters are Persian obviously :D

But yeah, Game of Thrones is the greatest thing ever since The Wire. Been rewatching it and I keep expecting Carcetti to betray everyone and seize the throne of Baltimore for himself :D

I can't help but feel that Theon's character arc would have been a lot more fulfilling if he wasn't so completely unsympathetic.

Can't wait until the clusterfuckery really begins, though. (RED WEDDING ON SCREEN OMG!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)