Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Jon is definitely Lyanna and Rhaegars son. Thats why he will be one of the heads of the dragon. Personally I dont think he is going to be Azor Ahai.

Been loving the show thus far myself, but i've gotta say that I'm disappointed by just how little ass Tyrion has been kicking (in the books he actually participated in the battles, wielding an axe)

Guys:

a. obviously there's a huge theory about Jon being Lyana and Rhaegar's son. I personally like it, and there are plenty of hints to it. However, the Azor Ahai "prophecy" clearly points to Dany as the reincarnation.
b. I'm going to have to agree with Justin#### on this one. I personally haven't seen the show yet, but I've heard a lot about it, and it really upsets me how many things they're cutting out. Jeoffry quite frankly, isn't super important. I'd rather them add more characters and cut back on the senseless cruelty. We get it, Jeoffry is mad. Move on.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
why is it emphized sooo much that he's the only other stark child ('sides arya) that takes after his father looks wise?

still need to read 4&5. I decided to put it off because I got the first three books for christmas from my sister and didn't want to spend more money, and I got through the first three in two months and didn't want to run out of stuff and be stuck waiting for the sixth

you thought THAT was sad...wait till the end of season 2. you ain't seen nuthin' yet.
what happens at the end of season 2?
shouldn't they be waiting till the end (not even the end I guess, half way through) of season 3?

VKCA

what is that all
that's not worse than
ned's death
is it?
I don't need to spoiler that do I? can we say don't come itt if you're haven't finished at least first book/season?

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Well, no, but it's at the last chapter of ACoK, which is
Bran's chapter(i hid this because many people are going to believe in ACoK that Bran is dead.)

Not an artist at all, but you prompted me to spend my morning making this, which was fun, thanks. May do the rest once I get some time. Agreeing with Luxray for Lannisters though, I think.
haha wow this is unreal, please make more!

yeah game of thrones has quickly become my favourite tv show, and i talk about it a lot on irc with ifm, snunch and rey. anyone here start by watching the series and then go on to read the books? i'm almost done reading the first book and it was really great, but i'm afraid i'll ruin the rest of the tv series if i read the other books because it's so fun to speculate what will happen in the next episodes :pirate:

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Read the books. I just started a reread anyway so we can talk about them as you get passed the TV show. Also the books has so much more info to draw from to make theories that it is even more fun to speculate about than the show.

Yeah, I'm working through the books myself. I'm somewhere in episode 5 of season two in A Clash of Kings because
THE MYSTERIOUS SHADOW KILLED RENLY MELISANDRE HAS TO HAVE SOMETHING TO WITH THIS RIGHT

VKCA

yeah game of thrones has quickly become my favourite tv show, and i talk about it a lot on irc with ifm, snunch and rey. anyone here start by watching the series and then go on to read the books? i'm almost done reading the first book and it was really great, but i'm afraid i'll ruin the rest of the tv series if i read the other books because it's so fun to speculate what will happen in the next episodes :pirate:
After watching the first season (or bits and pieces of the first season) I'd tell you just to watch the show, but given all the shit they're changing in season 2, I'd read the books. You can speculate about what happens at the next book!

Will somebody please explain to me how they took out the freys
really
i can't fathom this
Are they just going to introduce them in season three and then have them
kill everyone

this seems like pretty important stuff,
especially considering how much time they're spending on robb
(okay I've only seen ep 1, 2, & 4, but it really seems like he gets a lot of screen time considering he's literally never in the book, and you only hear about him through his destruction of faces all across the lands)

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Uhhh... They didn't take out the Freys. Robb pledged to marry one of Walder's daughters in exchange for his support + crossing of the Twins, same as in the book.

Idk what this shit is with that healer woman that Robb is mooning over.

Also WHY WERE ALL THE NAMES KEPT THE SAME EXCEPT FROM ASHA'S?

Also WHY WERE ALL THE NAMES KEPT THE SAME EXCEPT FROM ASHA'S?
Wikipedia says "Named "Asha" in the novels, the character's name was changed to avoid confusion with the Wildling Osha, Bran Stark's companion". Which makes sense, i guess, though I didnt realize her name was Osha.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I finally got around to watching the first season on Sunday night and Monday morning / afternoon. It's amazing. I'm not sure what I want to do for the second season yet.. Wait for the DVD release or just watch them online.

game of thorns winter is literally coming i'm freezing my ass off while i wait for it to finish downloading

Idk what this shit is with that healer woman that Robb is mooning over.
Well, it's because she's
actually Jeyne Westerling. Or using her basic story. Not entirely sure what direction they're going for but I've heard theories that she's actually spying on Robb and is in fact closely related to the Lannisters (i.e. that her name has been changed to Jeyne Lannister and she's using a fake name so, you know, she won't be outed). I think they're going with the whole "Tytos had a foreign mistress and Talisa/Jeyne is his grandchild" thing.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the show so far, though some of the characters are pretty radically different than they are in the books... some in good ways, others in awful ways. Littlefinger is probably the worst offender, he's completely easy to underestimate and is absolutely subtle about what he does in the books... in the show?
He's like one of those stage villains, overacting like crazy and basically saying "HEY, DON'T TRUST ME, I'M DEFINITELY GOING TO SCREW EVERYONE OVER! I'M POWER HUNGRY!!!!" Even Ned shouldn't have been naive enough to fall for that.

Overall though, it's been a great adaptation.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I actually think the Jeyne Westerling story would have translated pretty well to the screen (especially as it's almost completely offstage in the books), so I'll be disappointed if they cut that out or replaced with some shit about some random girl.

Also kind of pissed that Dagmer has taken the function of Reek, so you don't get the awesome irony later on.

To be fair, Littlefinger isn't that subtle in the first book, either - and he has got a bit more so this season than last. Still my favourite character.

I suspect it's more of an expansion on her story than a replacement, sort of like what they're doing with Robb.
I believe the actress playing her mentioned before the season started that she was playing "Jeyne", but refused to mention a last name, which was fueling a bunch of rumours. Making her a spy for the Lannisters isn't too far fetched, since we know in the books her mother was working with them at the very least... the only question was whether Jeyne herself was aware of it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what they were doing there. I guess trying to cut down on the cost of actors, but they have sent out casting calls for Ramsey for season 3. Kinda late, but oh well.

Eh. I'll agree that he's not as subtle in AGoT, but at the same time he was never the kind of character I could see hissing his plans for power to a couple of prostitutes having sex in front of him. I've always preferred Varys, myself.

On a related note, I did find it amusing how Tyrion says that he's not Ned and knows how the game is played... then
goes and makes all the same stupid mistakes Ned did by trusting people he had no reason to trust. Varys, Shae, Bronn? Nice work, Tyrion. I wonder if they're actually going to have him have his nose cut off in the Blackwater episode?

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Guys:

a. obviously there's a huge theory about Jon being Lyana and Rhaegar's son. I personally like it, and there are plenty of hints to it. However, the Azor Ahai "prophecy" clearly points to Dany as the reincarnation.
b. I'm going to have to agree with Justin#### on this one. I personally haven't seen the show yet, but I've heard a lot about it, and it really upsets me how many things they're cutting out. Jeoffry quite frankly, isn't super important. I'd rather them add more characters and cut back on the senseless cruelty. We get it, Jeoffry is mad. Move on.
but seeing joffrey mad is so entertaining!

seriously though, if you had never read the book and you had a choice between seeing more mad joffrey or covering more characters, what would you choose? i don't know about you guys but i'd rather take joffrey. i've already gotten 'character fatigue' as i like to call it through reading/watching the show and i do think more people enjoy concentrated stories rather than reading about 10 different ones going on at the same time.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
The problem with Joffrey is that we never see anything likeable or redeemable in him, and there's no sense of degeneration, so his character story is not very interesting. He is quite obviously mad and cruel, and he just wanders around being mad and cruel with no real impact on the plot. If he was actually doing something relevant, or there was a sense of his character's increasing degeneration, then it would be a lot more interesting, but as it stands I'd much rather see another character get some more love. Roose Bolton, say, who has been virtually anonymous.

I think the increased development of Lord Tywin has been interesting, but I would have liked to see more demonstrations of his ruthless efficiency juxtaposed with the more sympathetic aspects of his character which have been revealed. His major character attributes are ruthlessness and competence, and we haven't really seen effective use of either.

I think Tywin's ruthlessness has been demonstrated after he shooed off two members of his councils, one for being tired and the other for not being able to read. Not to mention he got his son to hate him, so he says. In the first season he wasn't exactly a nice guy either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)