Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Hey there, everyone! I just thought it would be an AWESOME idea if we created a Smogon mobile app! We could access Pokémon analyses of all tiers on the road with our phones! Usually, I'm frustrated going on the road with no Internet access to Smogon Pokémon analyses for teambuilding, but why not an app to access all that stuff? Heck, lets just make a mobile version of Smogon for everyone to access! Here's some reason why I want this app to be created:

• Easy access to Pokémon analyses offline.
    [*]Mobile version of the Smogon University on phones when you're on the road!
    [*]Smogon wherever you go! No crappy phone browsers that takes 30 minutes to load up Smogon.com.

[*]Expanding the Smogon community to the Android Market and the Apple Store! We'll increase our popularity!

Desolate

Banned deucer.
This has been proposed numerous times and all of the proposals have had positive feedback, but the thing is that either no one wants to do it, or whoever wants to do it never starts. In addition, you'd have to make it cross-platform (iOS, Android, etc.) to satisfy all the users on Smogon. If you can gather a group of people willing to do this, by all means it would be appreciated.

P.S. It doesn't require an app to look at analyses offline; we could have the server automatically compress all the analyses and host them on Smogon somewhere for people to download regularly. Most phones that can host apps can unzip compressed folders and view the contents (HTML files, in this case).

Desolate

Banned deucer.
It'd be great if you could accomplish this, but like I said, it may be a wiser (and less work intensive) idea to make a script to automatically gather up the analyses and host them somewhere on the website regularly (every week, maybe?)

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
It'd be great if you could accomplish this, but like I said, it may be a wiser (and less work intensive) idea to make a script to automatically gather up the analyses and host them somewhere on the website regularly (every week, maybe?)
I'm still learning how to code, but the process to learn it is confusing and boring. XD But hopefully we can accomplish this! It'd be great for the community! I heard there's an easy way to create an app on Google, also.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I really doubt there's enough force of mass on smogon to make this happen. It's too big of a task for one person, especially if that person lacks prior experience (@mavsobbession: no offense, but if you're just starting to code, making applications for a mobile platform is a long way away. iirc iOS is developed in Objective-C and Android develops primarily in Java with a native library of C backing it up), and getting people together to work on a project of this sort is easier said than done. In other words, there's a reason this stuff hasn't been done yet, and it's not because of a lack of demand

I would have a use for downloadable copies of the smogon analyses, so the idea of a simple weekly/monthly script to put that up for download sounds great. I love having stuff offline.

An easier solution than making an entire application is creating an alternate, simpler interface for smogon that's more compatible with mobile devices (yknow less image intensive, etc). Makes it much easier to browse smogon on such a device. However, I'd bet that in and of itself is no easy task, albeit probably an easier one.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If you have Android or iOS you should be able to view the forums and site from your phone anyway? I really don't see the appeal of a mobile app, especially when there is nobody willing to work on this at the moment. If/when you're able to get actual programmers actually working on a project, talk to someone about opening a thread in the Project forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)