The Greatest Playstyle

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Creativity is definitely possible when playing stall, and I can say this because I have much more UU stall experience than you across not just BW but also DPP. You can mold things on stall teams to counter certain threats (for example, in DPP people would use the occasional HP Psychic Milotic to counter all versions of Toxicroak, a typical problem for stall teams). Similarly, many people began running specially defensive RestTalk Weezing to handle all forms of Venusaur. In this manner, stall teams can be creative. One spin on BW stall teams is the usual inclusion of a scarfer (often Krookodile) as a means to both revenge-kill, late-game sweep with hazard support, and trap Ghosts to make it easier to Rapid Spin.

You probably weren't even around when this team was used but back in Gen 4 UU, Lady Bug use to use a Snover Hail team that had Flareon as its main specially defensive wall, and that team was an excellent one that dominated the metagame. Utilizing specific defensive Pokemon with key niches (for example Regenerator Tangela) can definitely be helpful without needing to resort to the "same old shit". In fact, in tournaments stall players that use standard shit will most likely be easily counterteamed because its so obvious what they're gonna use. For example, all I would need to do is run NP Togekiss to completely shut the team you linked down, and you have 0 chance to beat me. Using bog standard defensive Pokemon in such a tournament scenario is surely not good for you as you're at greater risk for a loss, whereas if you're known to mix it up with different kinds of walls that are perhaps not seen opposing offensive teams won't know what to overload on.

Naturally all stall teams are going to have certain components, but you can make one work using different sets and combinations of Pokemon.
Maybe we could play a generation four match sometime :) The only place where I can find matches semi consistently is on PO beta server's ladder.

But yes I am actually (in my subjective opinion) very good at DPP OU and UU although I didn't play until the very end of the generation. My best DPP UU team was stall and when Heracross came down to UU I had to improvise, I had to use HP Flying on my Weezing since Fire Blast wouldn't do enough to boosting variants or Sleep Talk variants. I have more than a 0 chance to beat teams with NP Togekiss, I have beat them before by being a smarter player; setting up Rocks quickly and forcing out Togekiss by way of Taunts and status and phazing. The last time I beat a team with NP Togekiss my opponent had it at just under 40% on my Arcanine and it desperately needed the Roost; I out speeded and KOd.

This is all irrelevant, tournaments irrelevant, last generation teams are irrelevant. UU ladder is a whole different beast now and it is going to take brave new stall teams to have a chance of standing. If you have one, could you share a stall team that was creative in this generation in this UU with here? Obviously I would be wrong if you can show that.

Creativity cannot exist in a stall team if you want to successfully ladder, I never said anything about tournaments because I am ignorant about tournaments and I never said anything about last generation because that is just not the same as what we have to deal with now. I have an insanely difficult time with NP Togekiss, no amount of creativity is going to help this. If you bring up Togekiss to say my team can be broken, fine, but I fail to see how that has anything to do with creativity.

Let's say though for a moment I was insanely weak to Kabutops and Entei and Carrascosta and Crawdaunt (all of which I can actually only deal with decently). Is creativity using unexpected Pokemon, unexpected sets to deal with threats? If so, then using a Poliwrath would indeed be creative an excellent way to deal with all of these Pokemon. I use Poliwrath, for creativity demands it, Kabutops, Entei, Crawdaunt, Carrascosta all demand it! The ladder demands something else, the ladder demands a good team. Those threats are do not exist on the ladder to the point where I should prepare for them so fine, I will let them beat me on occasion. It is far better to let them trounce on me (which they really can't) than to lose to things Milotic counters for me like Yanmega or Chandelure.

Creating a good team for the ladder means conforming to the ladder, conforming to the ladder means stamping out creativity.

Creating a good team for the ladder means conforming to the ladder, conforming to the ladder means stamping out creativity.
Incorrect, and this is all i need to really reply to in order to get the point across. You want a sample team I used to dominate the UU ladder? Check out the BW UU RMT I made with no UU Pokemon that peaked at like 1450 and at like #5. You can believe all you want that creativity doesn't work on the ladder my friend, but all you're doing is pigeonholing yourself into using specific sets and specific Pokemon =]

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
^ what ToF said. If you don't impart creativity into your teams, you can almost never succeed. There are very few exceptions, because people prepare so much for the most common threats that they are completely prepared for these sets, any creativity will catch them off guard and turn the tide in your favor. Every single successful team that I have made has included one or two mons or moves that no one in their right mind would think of (Specs Flygon for instance, on my current team). I have never once created a successful team composed completely of standard movesets and Pokemon, not to say that this isn't possible.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I know I come off as extremely arrogant. I am sorry for this but I really don't care about pleasantries. I care about making UU players better players and I thought making a thread on, what I think, is the greatest play style would help. You can call this reinventing the wheel but I rather think of advocating for the wheel in a metagame where the common player can't go forward.

I think you peaked at #4 ToF. I am talking about stall though and how stall must not be creative. I was not clear in my last line, I meant creating a good stall team for the ladder.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Impish Arcanine was creative at one point. Some will argue that it's just derived from SpD Arcanine which was popular last gen... but then that was creative at one point as well.

Every standard set was creative at one point--including stall sets. Hence, creativity is possible, and if you want to go beyond being an average stall player, it's necessary.

I definitely don't belong in this thread, but if I've learned anything about playing against stall it's that you NEED to be creative to win against a skilled offensive opponent, otherwise they can and will take advantage of the fact they can overrun you. Stall is effective on the ladder simply because it's a brainless autopilot formulaic strategy while remaining very effective in that way.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Creativity is the only thing that has kept my teams alive in the past. I've made OU stall teams revolving around Tangrowth as well as a stall team centered cleaning with Stoutland. There's a lot of untapped defensive potential in the lower tier pokemon that are just waiting for the right metagame to shine in. Tangrowth in the Garchomp/Exca meta that were also plagued with non-Acrobatics Gliscor was one of those kinds of metas.

The only thing I can see you arguing against is the creativity when it comes to spikers and spinblockers. This may be true in OU, but in UU, there's a vast and viable assortment to choose from.

EDIT: And before you try to pull a 5 second response out of your ass attempting to shut me down about how you only mean good stall teams, both teams have peaked #1 on both Smogon and PO multiple times.

Stall is effective on the ladder simply because it's a brainless autopilot formulaic strategy while remaining very effective in that way.
Explain to me how stall is anymore "brainless" than offence.
(I suck at quoting)

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Stall is effective on the ladder simply because it's a brainless autopilot formulaic strategy while remaining very effective in that way.
Explain to me how stall is anymore "brainless" than offence.
(I suck at quoting)
Because stall is usually able to beat any offensive teams that lack any serious firepower or goal simply by playing turn by turn and not making any dynamic predictions. When stall teams are up against another stall team, then they are usually forced to carry out a plan against it [such as getting up hazards fast, pressuring the opposing spinner etc and if they're up against an HO team then stall usually usually has to make a few double switches and predictions and try to limit opportunities for the opponent to set up or cause lots of damage.

Also just hit the Quote button in the bottom right corner of Heysup's post to quote him.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Impish Arcanine was creative at one point. Some will argue that it's just derived from SpD Arcanine which was popular last gen... but then that was creative at one point as well.

Every standard set was creative at one point--including stall sets. Hence, creativity is possible, and if you want to go beyond being an average stall player, it's necessary.

I do not see how every standard set was at one point creative. How was it that at any point running a Cleric Wish Umbreon was creative? How was running a Spiker Qwilfish creative? How was running a defensive WoW Sableye creative? How is running a Spinning Hitmontop creative? Common sense demands that you use these sets for these Pokemon because one quick glance at their stats and movepools tell you these are the best, and what will be standard, sets for them.

I am not evading your Arcanine point, but to me it seems like common sense to run a defensive set for a Pokemon who has 90/80/80 defenses with an amazing support movepool, amazing ability and incredible competition as an offensive Pokemon from Victini, Darmantian and Chandelure. I just do not understand how anything other than a defensive Arcanine could function (which might change with research week <3) It seems to me to be common sense because of the conditions of this generation UU, not because I am transferring it from last generation.

I definitely don't belong in this thread, but if I've learned anything about playing against stall it's that you NEED to be creative to win against a skilled offensive opponent, otherwise they can and will take advantage of the fact they can overrun you. Stall is effective on the ladder simply because it's a brainless autopilot formulaic strategy while remaining very effective in that way.
How do they overrun you? By tripling up on one type of attacker? By using a couple stallbreakers? I do not see how being creative helps with this.

Creativity is the only thing that has kept my teams alive in the past. I've made OU stall teams revolving around Tangrowth as well as a stall team centered cleaning with Stoutland. There's a lot of untapped defensive potential in the lower tier pokemon that are just waiting for the right metagame to shine in. Tangrowth in the Garchomp/Exca meta that were also plagued with non-Acrobatics Gliscor was one of those kinds of metas.

The only thing I can see you arguing against is the creativity when it comes to spikers and spinblockers. This may be true in OU, but in UU, there's a vast and viable assortment to choose from.

EDIT: And before you try to pull a 5 second response out of your ass attempting to shut me down about how you only mean good stall teams, both teams have peaked #1 on both Smogon and PO multiple times.
I honestly do not care about OU stall teams at all really. I am a horrible OU player which is why I said the purpose of this thread is to convince people to plau UU stall/prepare for UU stall in the UU metagame. Nice job on your peaks though.

Do you play UU? I don't see how you can play UU and think there are a vast amount of spikers and spinblockers to choose from for a stall team. Stall teams are weaker defensively than the strength of OU teams, as it has been posted before. This means it would be near suicidal to look for lower tier Pokemon because they offer less defenses and/or utility. I already posted why stall teams in UU need to stick lots of utility to each member.

Also, I support every single idea I post with logic, I don't take pull 5 second answers out of my ass. Argue that my ideas are wrong but don't argue I halfass them.

Because stall is usually able to beat any offensive teams that lack any serious firepower or goal simply by playing turn by turn and not making any dynamic predictions.
And isn't that just amazing? No big predictions, skill is required to find the best move but once you get it, you get it, your team should function pretty perfectly. UU is full of offensive teams right now that have no hope of breaking through stall - yes you see CB Victini, yes you see LO Darmantian but no you rarely ever see them used together. So it should really come down to this, do you want to make a stall team to take advantage of this or do you want to change your offensive teams to keep up your wins?

hilarious said:
How do they overrun you? By tripling up on one type of attacker? By using a couple stallbreakers? I do not see how being creative helps with this.
You definitely don't need more than one specific type of stall-breaker to beat down a stall team, you can just use a basic offensive combination of any type to gain an advantage on the standard stall time. Even just forcing double-switches which stall can't afford to do simply because of the risk of losing with one single wrong move.

Again, only on the standard stall team does this work. For example, I'd prepare a team such that one Pokemon abuses the presence of some common stall members and another deals with the others, ie. I'm not expecting your Psychic Spiritomb (for example) when I double switch to my CBCross to deal with it. Psychic Tomb was a creative set around some time too, it shifted with the metagame but it makes my point really well.

If you don't carry some weird shit on your pure stall team, you probably won't get any kills I didn't deliberately give you unless I get absurdly outplayed.

Anyway this is just my experience based on playing lame stall players like ToF (:D) for a very very long time.

EDIT: The post below me said it better than I did.

Even running an uncommon but effective offensive Pokemon can give stall troublebecause the point of stall is to check every common offensive Pokemon, not to check everything. Take Galvantula as an example - although it's RU, it's prefectly viable as an offensive electric typein this meta with great base speed and strong Thunders, but it also hits the stall team you posted very hard. Both your primary special walls and your electric immunity are decimated by it's STAB moves. Roserade can take a couple of hits, but she can't touch it in return so will eventually fall too. That just leaves Sableye and Arcanine, neither of which wants to be taking STAB Thunders when they have other responsibilities. If it's the uncommon Substitute Galvantula, it can get a Substitute on Roserade for free and at that point it's going to punch holes in your team. It might not 6-0 you, but stall can't afford to have holes punched in it. Of course, if Galvantula becomes popular you can tweak your team to better deal with it, but for now I'm presuming your attitude is "it's not common on the ladder, I'll just accept the loss". That's fine in ladder play because you can easily compensate for losing against a team with Galvantula by winning against a couple without it, but as I believe people were mentioning earlier, you can't have that in a tournament. I'd have to disagree with you stall>offense statement because stall teams can only really beat the tings they prepare for, while offensive teams only really need to prepare for revenge killers and notable stall Pokemon, so they have a much easier time incorporating the sort of vareity that makes offensive teams dynamic and tough to play against while still covering everything they need to. Honestly, I think stall loses to random uncommon Pokemon more than offense because unless the opponent is running 3 revenge killers or something stupid like that offense can usually find an easy way to beat said uncommon Pokemon while an uncommon offensive Pokemon might tear a big hole in a stall team before it is stopped.

Please don't think this is just theorymon either, because stall was the teamstyle with which I learned competitive Pokemon and I have played a lot of matches using solid stall teams like KGs in GenIV and M Dragon's rain stall team in Gen V, as well as my own stall teams. There will always be uncommon but effective Pokemon you just can't beat with a stall team, which makes them great for laddering but not so great in tournaments. I'm not saying you can't play stall in a tournament, but offense is usually a better playstyle because it is better able to deal with Pokemon you did not anticipate.
Just my 2p.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
FastFlygon's post is the best on this thread, I couldn't say it better.

@Hilarious: wanted to see an ''original'' stall team on UU.... look at this. Yes, the team is outdated and all but it's a clear example of how you can build a stall team while being original. The team uses Ferroseed (really uncommon in UU), Reflect Suicune and a TrickScarf Mismagius as spinblocker. Are all the sets ''standard? Of course no, and that doesn't mean it isn't effective on the ladder just because the team uses a Spiker that isn't UU.

Oh, and just wanted to say that Defensive Arcanine was original once, because last gen the ''standard'' sets were Offensive ones at first. When somebody started using a completely defensive arcanine on a Stall team, it was original, and it got more popular ever since. It's not like saying ''oh but it's like rapid spin hitmontop etc etc''. That's untrue, since Hitmontop only reason to be used is Rapid Spin, and it has only been used in both BW and DP UU because it could rapid spin. You can't say the same about Impish Arcanine. I can give more examples if you really need.

I may ask you a question. How do tournaments not matter? I mean, as you have already said some times (and that's something that pretty much everybody here agrees with), the ladder is not really a place to test skill as most players there suck.

This is a good thread on uu stall, and grats on your success with the ladder. I've been using your team before you made this thread, and I think i can safely say that Kingdra and Xatu are two huge threats to stall. Xatu is an obvious one, but with the type of stall teams you use [6 walls, little offense] I don't see how xatu doesn't shut you down unless ice beam crits / freezes it. Milotic can manage kingdra [sometimes], but plenty of times I found that sub dd sets up on it, or something like mixed kingdra / specs kingdra etc just opens up huge holes. Nasty plot mew has been mentioned, and swords dance stuff [Heracross, Cobalion, Scolipede] were all annoying to face. Lastly, Zapdos and Raikou were of course manageable, but very annoying [specifically roost lo zapdos]. I think these are important because those are the pokemon I remember being the most troubling on the ladder. As far as solutions go, slowking has been great at checking np mew and kingdra [maybe you've tried it?].

Also, I agree with Tof in that you can create a creative stall team to beat threats. There are quite a few RU Pokemon like [Claydol -which you use yourself, Clefable, Ferroseed, some evo stuff like Roselia / tangela] all of which can be great on stall teams if used properly. And yea, adding something like Weeavile / Krookodile to help beat stallbreakers works too, I don't think you've really talked about the offensive side of stall much.

Lastly, I think the ladder is okay and all, but it's not the highest level of play. A lot of the top players on here don't even ladder that much, so playing and being successful in tournaments would convince more people that stall is indeed the greatest playstyle in uu. Personally, idk if it is or not, but I do think that if more people used stall, it'd be a pretty boring metagame with stall vs stall, lmao.

EDIT: I forgot to add, that playing stall isn't as easy as Heysup put it. A lot of the times when using this team, battles were 70-100+ turns, and making the right switch / knowing who to fold in different situations required some thinking. But I won't use this team much anymore...battles are just too long and it gets boring after awhile =p

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
FastFlygon's post is the best on this thread, I couldn't say it better.

@Hilarious: wanted to see an ''original'' stall team on UU.... look at this. Yes, the team is outdated and all but it's a clear example of how you can build a stall team while being original. The team uses Ferroseed (really uncommon in UU), Reflect Suicune and a TrickScarf Mismagius as spinblocker. Are all the sets ''standard? Of course no, and that doesn't mean it isn't effective on the ladder just because the team uses a Spiker that isn't UU.

Oh, and just wanted to say that Defensive Arcanine was original once, because last gen the ''standard'' sets were Offensive ones at first. When somebody started using a completely defensive arcanine on a Stall team, it was original, and it got more popular ever since. It's not like saying ''oh but it's like rapid spin hitmontop etc etc''. That's untrue, since Hitmontop only reason to be used is Rapid Spin, and it has only been used in both BW and DP UU because it could rapid spin. You can't say the same about Impish Arcanine. I can give more examples if you really need.

I may ask you a question. How do tournaments not matter? I mean, as you have already said some times (and that's something that pretty much everybody here agrees with), the ladder is not really a place to test skill as most players there suck.
You acknowledge that team is outdated. Using teams from a different round - and therefore a different metagame - gives little insight to how this metagame works. It is so outdated that team would be illegal in UU now. If that team could work today, or if someone could prove that team works today, then I can see your point. That is not happening.

I was mistaken when I said creativity could not work on stall teams in any form. If you consider using lower tier Pokemon creative, then creativity can work on stall teams. Using creative sets though I still am sure would not work. That means yes Ferroseed might work but no using anything other than a defensive Spiking Feroseed would not work. Does that mean a stall team cannot run HP Grass Milotic if they are weak to Cursepert? No it does not, because using HP Grass on Milotic is not creative as long as that Milotic still retains its purpose of bulky water. A Pokemon is creative if it finds a different purpose from the standard or what should be standard. Curse Ferroseed has a totally different purpose from Spikes Ferroseed, from late game sweeper to a hazard abuser, and therefore creative and therefore, for the most part, useless on stall.

When I said tournaments are irrelevant I meant that they don't matter in relation to what I say. All my posts are about the ladder because as I have said before I do not have the slightest experience in tournaments (which is about to change, gl if we are matched in the multi-tier team tourny!). I only post about what I can have some substance in.

This is a good thread on uu stall, and grats on your success with the ladder. I've been using your team before you made this thread, and I think i can safely say that Kingdra and Xatu are two huge threats to stall. Xatu is an obvious one, but with the type of stall teams you use [6 walls, little offense] I don't see how xatu doesn't shut you down unless ice beam crits / freezes it. Milotic can manage kingdra [sometimes], but plenty of times I found that sub dd sets up on it, or something like mixed kingdra / specs kingdra etc just opens up huge holes. Nasty plot mew has been mentioned, and swords dance stuff [Heracross, Cobalion, Scolipede] were all annoying to face. Lastly, Zapdos and Raikou were of course manageable, but very annoying [specifically roost lo zapdos]. I think these are important because those are the pokemon I remember being the most troubling on the ladder. As far as solutions go, slowking has been great at checking np mew and kingdra [maybe you've tried it?].

Also, I agree with Tof in that you can create a creative stall team to beat threats. There are quite a few RU Pokemon like [Claydol -which you use yourself, Clefable, Ferroseed, some evo stuff like Roselia / tangela] all of which can be great on stall teams if used properly. And yea, adding something like Weeavile / Krookodile to help beat stallbreakers works too, I don't think you've really talked about the offensive side of stall much.

Lastly, I think the ladder is okay and all, but it's not the highest level of play. A lot of the top players on here don't even ladder that much, so playing and being successful in tournaments would convince more people that stall is indeed the greatest playstyle in uu. Personally, idk if it is or not, but I do think that if more people used stall, it'd be a pretty boring metagame with stall vs stall, lmao.
I should try Slowking, although then Houndoom, Krookodile and Chandelure maye cause more problems. I can beat Kingdra special and mixed versions with Milotic easy and if you look at the RMT you can see its easy to outplay big threats with stall, even DD Kingdra (Roared it on a Sub).

You are right, I have not talked about the offensive part of stall, the safety of stall. I think the team below really uses Weavile as effectively as it possibly can, both as a trapper, revenge killer and extra sweeper. Krookodile and Weavile are the two big revenge killers and trappers that stall can use but they are not necessary, even if Xatu exists. Using an offensive takes up precious room so it is hard to fit in but they make sure there can be no "win condition" for the most part for your opponent, NP Togekiss can only take one down before Weavile comes in for the kill.

I am still laddering with this, it is only a week old, but so far it reached only 1350. It is stall that uses neither Umbreon nor Sableye because I was trying to make "creative stall", it proves not much yet though since it is going to change for sure. Weavile has proved its usefulness though and it will definitely stay, which is why I say this team is a decent example of offense in stall.

Arcanine (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 16 SDef / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Roar
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Snorlax (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Whirlwind
- Body Slam

Weavile (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit
- Night Slash
- Low Kick

Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Toxic

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SDef / 176 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Pain Split

Xatu is a bitch, period the end. I can play around it very easily though. Below is a log showing my team "standard stall" pitted against a pretty balanced team that employs Xatu and Qwilfish and Chandelure. All of them are supposed to give stall troubles since they can reflect hazards, easily set up hazards, or blow right through me with hazards. Smart playing is required here, stall at least here proves it is not just mindless battling. My opponent's name is X'd out since I do not have their permission to post this. They quit at the end, the whole thing is posted. Also it is extremely long (100+ turns) so focus on the first thirty or so to see how Xatu doesn't win and the first fifty or so to see how Chandelure can't win. Qwilfish dies towards the end posing small threat.

Battle between pokemon is fun and XXX started!

Tier: Standard UU
Mode: Singles
Variation: +13, -19
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

Your team: Claydol / Umbreon / Milotic / Arcanine / Roserade / Sableye
Opponent's team: Qwilfish / Porygon2 / Chandelure / Xatu / Bronzong / Krookodile

pokemon is fun sent out Claydol!
XXX sent out Bronzong!

Start of turn 1
XXX called Bronzong back!
XXX sent out Xatu!

Claydol used Stealth Rock!
Claydol's Stealth Rock was bounced back by Magic Mirror!
Pointed stones float in the air around pokemon is fun's team!

Start of turn 2
XXX's Xatu used Night Shade!
Claydol lost 100 HP! (30% of its health)

Claydol used Earth Power!
It had no effect!

Claydol restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 3
XXX's Xatu used Toxic!
Claydol was badly poisoned!

It had no effect!

Claydol is hurt by poison!

Start of turn 4

Claydol used Rapid Spin!
XXX's Xatu lost 4% of its health!
Claydol blew away Stealth Rock!

XXX's Xatu restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 5
pokemon is fun called Claydol back!
pokemon is fun sent out Umbreon!

Umbreon lost 100 HP! (25% of its health)

Umbreon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 6
XXX called Xatu back!
XXX sent out Bronzong!

Umbreon used Heal Bell!
A bell chimed!

Start of turn 7
Umbreon used Wish!

XXX's Bronzong used Stealth Rock!

Start of turn 8
pokemon is fun called Umbreon back!
Pointed stones dug into Claydol!

XXX's Bronzong used Gyro Ball!
Claydol lost 70 HP! (21% of its health)

Umbreon's wish came true!

Start of turn 9
XXX sent out Xatu!

It had no effect!

Start of turn 10

Claydol used Rapid Spin!

Start of turn 11

Start of turn 12
XXX called Xatu back!
XXX sent out Qwilfish!

XXX's Qwilfish intimidates Umbreon!
Umbreon's Attack fell!
Umbreon used Wish!

Start of turn 13

XXX's Qwilfish used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of pokemon is fun's team!

Start of turn 14
XXX called Qwilfish back!
XXX sent out Xatu!

It had no effect!

Start of turn 15

Claydol used Rapid Spin!
Claydol blew away Spikes!

Start of turn 16

Start of turn 17
XXX called Xatu back!
XXX sent out Qwilfish!

Umbreon's Attack fell!
Umbreon used Wish!

Start of turn 18

Start of turn 19
XXX sent out Xatu!

Claydol used Rapid Spin!

Start of turn 20
pokemon is fun sent out Milotic!

Milotic lost 100 HP! (25% of its health)

Milotic restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 21
pokemon is fun called Milotic back!

XXX's Xatu used Toxic!
Umbreon was badly poisoned!
Umbreon's Synchronize changes the status of XXX's Xatu!
XXX's Xatu was badly poisoned!

XXX's Xatu is hurt by poison!
Umbreon is hurt by poison!

Start of turn 22
XXX called Xatu back!
XXX sent out Qwilfish!

Umbreon's Attack fell!
Umbreon used Heal Bell!
A bell chimed!

Start of turn 23

Start of turn 24
XXX sent out Xatu!

It had no effect!

Start of turn 25
XXX called Xatu back!
XXX sent out Chandelure!

It's super effective!
XXX's Chandelure lost 56% of its health!

Start of turn 26
pokemon is fun sent out Arcanine!
Arcanine is hurt by spikes!

Arcanine intimidates XXX's Chandelure!
XXX's Chandelure's Attack fell!
XXX's Chandelure used Fire Blast!
It's not very effective...
Arcanine lost 243 HP! (63% of its health)

Arcanine restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 27
Arcanine used Morning Sun!
Arcanine regained health!

Arcanine lost 223 HP! (58% of its health)

Start of turn 28

Arcanine lost 235 HP! (61% of its health)

Start of turn 29

Arcanine lost 243 HP! (63% of its health)

Start of turn 30

Arcanine lost 216 HP! (56% of its health)

Start of turn 31

Arcanine lost 220 HP! (57% of its health)

Start of turn 32

Arcanine lost 230 HP! (60% of its health)

Start of turn 33

Arcanine lost 208 HP! (54% of its health)

Start of turn 34
XXX called Chandelure back!
XXX sent out Krookodile!

Start of turn 35
XXX's Krookodile used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Arcanine lost 261 HP! (68% of its health)
Arcanine fainted!
XXX's Krookodile's Attack rose!

Start of turn 36
XXX called Krookodile back!
XXX sent out Xatu!

It had no effect!

Start of turn 37
Umbreon is hurt by spikes!

XXX's Xatu used Toxic!

Start of turn 38
XXX called Xatu back!
XXX sent out Chandelure!

Umbreon used Heal Bell!
A bell chimed!

Start of turn 39
Umbreon used Protect!
Umbreon protected itself!

XXX's Chandelure used Hidden Power!

Start of turn 40
XXX called Chandelure back!
XXX sent out Bronzong!

Start of turn 41
Claydol used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around XXX's team!

Start of turn 42
It had no effect!

XXX's Bronzong used Toxic!

Start of turn 43
XXX sent out Chandelure!
Pointed stones dug into XXX's Chandelure!

Claydol used Rapid Spin!
It had no effect!

Stellar is watching the battle.

Start of turn 44
pokemon is fun sent out Roserade!
Pointed stones dug into Roserade!
Roserade is hurt by spikes!

XXX's Chandelure used Shadow Ball!
Roserade lost 183 HP! (56% of its health)

Roserade restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 45
pokemon is fun called Roserade back!
Pointed stones dug into Umbreon!

Umbreon lost 79 HP! (20% of its health)

Start of turn 46
Umbreon lost 82 HP! (20% of its health)
Umbreon's Sp. Def. fell!

Umbreon used Wish!

Start of turn 47
Umbreon used Protect!

Start of turn 48
Umbreon lost 120 HP! (30% of its health)

Umbreon used Wish!

Start of turn 49
Umbreon used Protect!

Start of turn 50
Umbreon lost 105 HP! (26% of its health)
Umbreon's Sp. Def. fell!

Umbreon used Payback!
It's super effective!
XXX's Chandelure lost 19% of its health!
XXX's Chandelure fainted!

XXX sent out Qwilfish!
Pointed stones dug into XXX's Qwilfish!

Umbreon's Attack fell!

Start of turn 51

Umbreon used Wish!

XXX's Qwilfish restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 52
XXX's Qwilfish used Waterfall!
Umbreon lost 88 HP! (22% of its health)

Umbreon used Heal Bell!
A bell chimed!

Start of turn 53

Umbreon used Wish!

Start of turn 54
Pointed stones dug into Milotic!
Milotic is hurt by spikes!

XXX's Qwilfish used Waterfall!
Milotic lost 43 HP! (10% of its health)

Start of turn 55
XXX sent out Xatu!
Pointed stones dug into XXX's Xatu!

Start of turn 56
XXX's Xatu used Toxic!

Claydol used Rapid Spin!

Start of turn 57
XXX called Xatu back!
XXX sent out Porygon2!
Pointed stones dug into XXX's Porygon2!

XXX's Porygon2 traced Claydol's Levitate!

Start of turn 58
XXX called Porygon2 back!
XXX sent out Qwilfish!

Umbreon's Attack fell!
Umbreon used Heal Bell!
A bell chimed!

Start of turn 59

Start of turn 60

Milotic used Scald!
XXX's Qwilfish lost 23% of its health!

Start of turn 61
XXX sent out Xatu!
Pointed stones dug into XXX's Xatu!

Milotic used Scald!
XXX's Xatu lost 24% of its health!

Start of turn 62
XXX's Xatu used Roost!
XXX's Xatu landed on the ground!
XXX's Xatu regained health!

Milotic used Scald!
XXX's Xatu lost 26% of its health!

Start of turn 63
XXX's Xatu used Toxic!
Milotic was badly poisoned!

Milotic used Scald!
XXX's Xatu lost 19% of its health!
XXX's Xatu fainted!

Milotic is hurt by poison!
XXX sent out Bronzong!
Pointed stones dug into XXX's Bronzong!

Start of turn 64

XXX's Bronzong restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 65
Claydol used Rapid Spin!
XXX's Bronzong lost 1% of its health!

Claydol lost 67 HP! (20% of its health)

Start of turn 66

Start of turn 67
Umbreon used Heal Bell!
A bell chimed!

Start of turn 68

Start of turn 69
XXX sent out Qwilfish!

XXX's Qwilfish intimidates Milotic!
Milotic's Attack fell!
Milotic used Scald!
XXX's Qwilfish lost 21% of its health!

Start of turn 70

Milotic used Scald!
XXX's Qwilfish lost 20% of its health!
XXX's Qwilfish was burned!

XXX's Qwilfish is hurt by its burn!

Start of turn 71

Milotic used Recover!
Milotic regained health!

Start of turn 72

Start of turn 73
XXX sent out Bronzong!

Umbreon used Heal Bell!
A bell chimed!

Start of turn 74
Umbreon used Protect!

Start of turn 75

Claydol lost 60 HP! (18% of its health)

Start of turn 76
Claydol used Rapid Spin!

Start of turn 77
pokemon is fun sent out Sableye!

Start of turn 78
XXX sent out Qwilfish!

XXX's Qwilfish intimidates Sableye!
Sableye's Attack fell!
Sableye used Taunt!
XXX's Qwilfish fell for the taunt!

XXX's Qwilfish fainted!
XXX sent out Porygon2!

XXX's Porygon2 traced Sableye's Prankster!

Start of turn 79
Sableye used Will-O-Wisp!
XXX's Porygon2 was burned!

XXX's Porygon2 used Discharge!
Sableye lost 95 HP! (31% of its health)

Sableye restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
XXX's Porygon2 is hurt by its burn!

Start of turn 80
pokemon is fun called Sableye back!

Umbreon lost 50 HP! (12% of its health)

Start of turn 81
Umbreon used Wish!

XXX's Porygon2 used Tri Attack!
Umbreon lost 79 HP! (20% of its health)
Umbreon was burned!

Umbreon is hurt by its burn!

Start of turn 82
XXX's Porygon2 used Recover!
XXX's Porygon2 regained health!

Umbreon used Heal Bell!
A bell chimed!

Start of turn 83
Umbreon used Protect!

Start of turn 84
pokemon is fun sent out Sableye!
Pointed stones dug into Sableye!

It had no effect!

Start of turn 85

Sableye used Taunt!
XXX's Porygon2 fell for the taunt!

Start of turn 86
Sableye lost 91 HP! (29% of its health)

Sableye used Foul Play!
XXX's Porygon2 lost 13% of its health!

Start of turn 87
Sableye used Recover!
Sableye regained health!

Sableye lost 103 HP! (33% of its health)
Sableye is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

Start of turn 88
Sableye lost 94 HP! (30% of its health)

Sableye used Foul Play!
XXX's Porygon2 lost 13% of its health!

XXX's Porygon2's taunt ended!

Start of turn 89
pokemon is fun called Sableye back!

Start of turn 90
Milotic lost 102 HP! (25% of its health)

Milotic used Dragon Tail!
XXX's Porygon2 lost 5% of its health!
XXX's Bronzong was dragged out!

Start of turn 91
Milotic used Recover!
Milotic regained health!

Start of turn 92
Milotic used Scald!
XXX's Bronzong lost 21% of its health!
XXX's Bronzong was burned!

XXX's Bronzong used Earthquake!
Milotic lost 30 HP! (7% of its health)

XXX's Bronzong is hurt by its burn!

Start of turn 93

XXX's Bronzong used Earthquake!
It had no effect!

Start of turn 94
Claydol used Rapid Spin!

Start of turn 95

Start of turn 96
XXX sent out Krookodile!
Pointed stones dug into XXX's Krookodile!

Roserade used Toxic Spikes!
Poison spikes were scattered all around the feet of XXX's team!

Start of turn 97

Milotic lost 115 HP! (29% of its health)

Start of turn 98
A critical hit!
Milotic lost 151 HP! (38% of its health)
Milotic fainted!
XXX's Krookodile's Attack rose!

Start of turn 99
XXX called Krookodile back!
XXX sent out Bronzong!

Claydol used Rapid Spin!

Start of turn 100

Start of turn 101
XXX sent out Porygon2!

XXX's Porygon2 traced Roserade's Natural Cure!
Roserade used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of XXX's team!

Start of turn 102
Roserade used Toxic Spikes!
Poison spikes were scattered all around the feet of XXX's team!

Start of turn 103
Roserade used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of XXX's team!

Roserade lost 105 HP! (32% of its health)
Roserade was burned!

Roserade is hurt by its burn!

Start of turn 104
Roserade used Rest!
Roserade went to sleep and became healthy!

Roserade lost 102 HP! (31% of its health)

Start of turn 105

Umbreon lost 53 HP! (13% of its health)

Start of turn 106
XXX called Porygon2 back!
XXX sent out Krookodile!
Pointed stones dug into XXX's Krookodile!
XXX's Krookodile is hurt by spikes!
XXX's Krookodile was badly poisoned!

Umbreon used Payback!
XXX's Krookodile lost 8% of its health!

XXX's Krookodile is hurt by poison!
pokemon is fun: gggggggggggggg

Start of turn 107
Umbreon used Protect!

XXX's Krookodile used Crunch!

XXX's Krookodile is hurt by poison!
pokemon is fun won the battle!
This is the end of the replay

I recently made a pretty decent UU stall team of Umbreon/Sableye/Restalk Roar Suicune/Roserade/Hitmontop/Bronzong. It's been very good but the top players have had no problem destroying me. Stall is potent, but it doesn't have the "do a lot of damage" outs to things like SD Hera or NP Togekiss that offensive teams have. I couldn't drop anything here yet without a revenges my team fails to beat prepared teams.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
If those are troubling you may I reccomend you to use a specialized counter, defensive Arcanine is a good Heracross check and Kabutops is a good Togekiss check (with max speed and hp and adamant) while both have utility on a stall team. Hidden power flying Zapdos with hp and speed EVs can counter both fairly well.

Defensive Arcanine is pretty unreliable against SD Heracross, he only really checks the Scarf set well. A random Stone Edge/Facade or even Close Combat is going to do a number with Stealth Rock regardless of Intimidate, and you can really only switch in once since he can just predict to +2 as you switch since you basically have no choice with stall. If you invest enough to outspeed him with a Jolly nature, then you do lose a lot of your physical defense as well.

Also, consider that NP Togekiss has Aura Sphere and can easily KO your Kabutops. I'd put just a regular Heat Wave / Thunderbolt Zapdos....well I'm not sure where. I have had literally no problem with stall as of late.

I haven't lost to a single stall team with my current ladder run.....I really think its usefulness has diminished.

I have actually had a ton of success with a stall team recently, it's very consistent and is really weak only to a handful of threats that can easily be played around with entry hazards and the offense that I pack (and they aren't too common anyways). I use a few unorthodox pokemon, but they really work wonders.

For example, I pack a Cresselia who can wall more than half the metagame because of its sheer bulk and reliable recovery. IMO, if you want a full stop to shit like Kingdra and Raikou (except SubCM), just pack a Cress and a Hera counter and you're good to go. It's also great because of the utility it can provide a team, as well as its surprising offensive coverage. I use Toxic because it helps with other defensive teams and Blastoise, but it can use a Screen, a Hidden Power, T Wave, shadow ball or signal beam, meaning it can fit into any team. I really recommend it.

Another uncommon Poke I use is Tanky Golurk. Its played really similarly to rhyperrior, but it blocks spin (which is vital, because I can switch to Golurk on the spin or take a scald, then pivot to zapdos or roserade to force it out) and has a really awesome Dynamic Punch which provides for awesome utility. It also packs a strong EQ which my teams likes when it needs to get KOs, that awesome electric immunity to give snorlax a break, and Protect for scouting pokes (Darmanitan!!) and getting it HP back. It works super well, I might even try and write an analysis for it soon.

In summary, try a stall team, you might be really surprised. Just use some uncommon Pokemon and give your stall team the flexibility and offensive pressure it needs to beat a variety of offensive threats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)