Man...I hate rain.

Weatherless
Whores

At a Glance
~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, seeing what tanks can just set up and sweep made me immediately look at Conkeldurr and Reuniclus. When I have both of these, they were constantly threatening and could sweep quite easily. So i decided to start with these 2 and build from there. They already naturally had nice defensive synergy together, they both resist eachother's weaknesses (Except Flying). So i decided the defensive synergy for them was already complete and went from there.

So after having them i decided they needed some support and who better to give support than Ferrothorn? Originally I had Stealth Rock and Spikes on Ferro, but after a few tweaks later on i decided to change that. It's Grass/Steel typing didn't bring much to the defensive synergy of the team so far, but it didn't really need to considering Conkeldurr+Reuniclus had good synergy anyway. It was there for providing entry hazards support whilst also Thunder waving things to make life easier and hopefully get some parahax. It is also neutral to flying I suppose that can also help. It can also wall such threats as Choice Band Scizor locked into Bullet Punch or something, if i feel a superpower coming i will keep Reuniclus in, otherwise, Ferrothorn is a safe switch.

After that i decided to add Dragonite, I remembered that awesome synergy that Dragonite+Magnezone got, so i decided to use Ferrothorn instead of Magnezone and just reuse this synergy. I used Parashuffling Dragonite as it was a new concept to me and I really wanted to try it out. It also can really rack up the damage and fully abuses multiscale.

I then decided to add Infernape for whatever reason. From what I recall it was to help with fire attacks against Ferrothorn and act as a revenge killer from all the entry hazards damage. I'm not too sure why i did add him, but I did and he worked rather well, but i was adding another fighting type without much thought put into it.

Ohyes, another fighting type. I just saw a rain weakness, and decided to patch this up with another grass type, so i chose Virizion as its work up set has worked wonder in the past and i don't really see it much, which is a shame because it can be so good.

So i decided not to use 3 fighting types and narrowed it down to 2, with Heatran now on the team i had a solid check to most sun teams. It can also run Stealth Rock so i can change Ferrothorn's move set a bit too. It provided nice synergy and it checked things i couldn't before.

I decided to ditch Conkeldurr after it just wasn't doing enough for me. I replaced it with Gastrodon who would be yet another solid check to rain teams, yes i really hate rain. It can also wall the like of Rotom-W and other water types. It also helped against Volt-turn.

An In-Depth look.

Gastrodon
/
@
Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover​

Gastrodon has a pretty big role in this team, at first i was getting torn up by Volt-turn and taking much more damage than i should have been. However now Gastrodon can block those Volt-turns and wall most volt-turn users. Grass attacks are really not a problem to me when i have 4 other pokemon to resist them. Its Ground/Water typing really helps it a lot and does a lot for the team, it can take water and electric attacks and its STABs are both dangerous, especially at a +1. The burn from Scald helps me to neutralize physical attackers such as Scizor, Gliscor, Landorus, Tyranitar, Terrakion, so basically a lot of sandstorm abusers, with these burnt they pose very little threat and makes my team's job a hell of a lot easier. Where as those i can't Scald or burn, Toxic does the job perfectly, hitting a bulky water type with a toxic cripples them a lot and reduces their walling capabilities, especially the likes of Politoed and Jellicent. I'm not too afraid to lead with it in some cases, especially against sand and rain teams since it can beat Politoed and Tyranitar. However I find that most times, if it gets toxic'd,I find that i can't do much except stall out my inevitable death or just try to hit hard for what's left.

Reuniclus
@
Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Recover​

Reuniclus is my main sweeper on most occasion, it's natural bulk is incredible and along with reliable recovery, it can be pretty damn hard to take down. I decided to use the Calm Mind set just because it was the first one I saw to be honest. However i do not regret that decision at all, i have caused many a ragequit with this tank and swept many foes too. Psyshock and Focus Blast just give all-round coverage and provide everything it needs to sweep, although relying on Focus Blast's accuracy can be a bit sketchy at times. I use Psyshock mostly to beat Tentacruel and Chanseys but it also helps in a Calm Mind war against things like Lati@s or Espeon since i can just ignore their SpDef boosts. I can set up on most physical attackers and most things that want to try and stall such as Tentacruel. Magic Guard is probably the key to success on this set, the fact that you wont take any passive damage is just godly and it means that i can just take a toxic or burn and proceed to set up. The biggest problem for it that i've seen is Scizor, most times i have to sit there and take a U-turn that does around 77% and just recover, Tyranitar is also a problem as it can Crunch to 2HKO and screw me with pursuit, however the Tyranitar does not like a focus blast and Scizor is 2HKOd by one at +2 or higher.

Heatran
/
@
Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Roar​

Heatran...My god what a bawse. Using the standard Specially Defensive set here, mostly because it was the only set that worked for me in 4th gen and i've been hearing good things about it for 5th gen so i decided that i shall use it. This thing is just so good, passing burn around with Lava plume and just phazing things. The main purpose is to wall sun teams and sun abusers, such as Ninetales, Volcarona and Venusaurs. Leftovers help it recover since it has no other means of recovery and alongside protect it can scout and recover.It can wall both toxic and Will-O-Wisp and can use Protect to scout a move. Sun teams did become a problem at one point, but Heatran just fixed up that hole and can even abuse the sun itself for some boosted lava plumes. It can come in on fire attacks directed at Ferrothorn and grass attacks directed at Gastrodon. It can even come in on Terrakion if it is directing a choiced X-scissor at Reuniclus. The ability to Roar is a grand one, i can just roar away things that try to set up and just rack up more and more Stealth Rock and Spikes damage. I have Stealth Rock on Heatran so that i could free up a moveslot on Ferrothorn and still be able to get them up reliably. It can also take unboosted outrages and Draco meteors from things like Haxorus, Latios and Hydreigon, also walling Dragonites that lack Earthquake or Superpower and just roaring them out.

Ferrothorn
/
@
Shed Shell
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip​

Man...There are no good picture of Ferrothorn. Anyway, this is pretty much my support, it provides great defensive synergy with the rest of the team and can support all of them. The ability to set up spikes on pretty much every water type is awesome and when i do get them, taking 25% off of their pokes just for a switchin is awesome. Thunder wave is there to help with Dragonite, because parashuffling is awesome, it can also help Reuniclus in its endeavour to sweep whilst also helping Heatran parashuffle. Leech seed is my only recovery for Ferrothorn though, it is good one except the shakey accuracy can get annoying sometimes and things such as Celebi just annoy it to hell. I'm running shed shell because i really need Ferrothorn for spikes and Thunder waving and without it my team can lose quite a bit of defensive synergy, also if Magnezone sets up it can be a gg right there, so i decided to be safe even tohugh Magnezone isn't too common. The EVs are pretty standard, well, straight from Smogon, heh. They just maximize the bulk on Ferrothorn. Running Careful nature and not Sassy because i don't really need the loss of speed since i'm not running gyro ball (because Gyro ball+Thunder wave is pretty stupid).

Dragonite
/
@
Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpDef / 8 Spd
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Thunder Wave​

This thing is awesome, it abuses Multiscale to the maximum and just generally annoys everything. Alongside Ferrothorn they get near perfect synergy and with Ferrothorn setting up spikes this thing can just shuffle all day long. With Thunder wave it can just paralyze everything (except ground types) and just dragon tail them away. When i get a substitute off and manage to roost, i've got a multiscale substitute up, which is pretty awesome and hard to break, this just increases the amount of shuffling going on. It can also shuffle alongside Heatran as it sets up Stealth Rock and Roars. The EVs are for maximum special bulk so it can take ice beams and thunderbolts and such. So far it has worked and I hope it continues to work, it is a very underrated set and needs more usage. This thing works wonders midgame-lategame as it can rack up damage and make Reuniclus/Virizion's lives easier with their sweeps and late game it can just weaken everything to the point of a KO from hazards.

Virizion
/
@
Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 104 Atk / 154 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Giga Drain
- Work Up
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]​

Yet another set i don't see much, this thing is a good wallbreaker that can basically dent teams and make winning an easier job, with its great STABs it can take on rain and sand teams. Naturally it forces a lot of switches, so i decided to use the Work Up set, as it forces switches it can just set up on those switches and proceed to dent. A lot people seem to bring Gliscor expecting the Swords Dance set, but they just get OHKOd by HPice. Virizion sits at a base 108 speed, meaning max speed is pretty much essential to be able to sweep, it can take out a lot of threats at +1 and i always find it saving me. Most times i can lure in a dark type attack with Reuniclus from something such as Tyranitar or Scrafty and actually put Justified to use, meaning i can reach +2 attack most times and with +1 SpAtk, that usually ends up in a sweep lategame.

Conclusion:
Soooo in conclusion, that is my team, it has done well so far and i'll be happy to take any suggestions or improvements. Some threats i've seen so far include Toxicroak and Tornadus who can either set up or just fire off their STABs and hit most things were i have to try and make the right switches. But all in all it works well and has won me quite a few battles.

Code:
Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Recover

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Substitute
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Ferrothorn (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 104 Atk / 154 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Giga Drain
- Work Up
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I think this is a great team! I honestly have no criticism! The team has great synergy, and unlike most teams, weather does not make this team fall apart.
10/10

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
Hey Aquaaa, you've got a pretty well balanced team (and its really good vs rain).

However I see 2 main problems, though fairly small. Your a bit weak to stall and infernape can put a dent in pretty much everything depending on its moveset.
l
to fix this I recommend a calm mind refresh latias over gastrodon. Latias is a pain for volt turn teams like gastro, however its also faster and more powerfull, while still being able to wall everything gastro can.

Latias also walls infernape pretty well, the most infernape can do is u turn, which doesn't do to much anyway. however the main pull of latias is the fact that it doesn't main status at all and completely blocks and sets up on sub toxic gliscor and other toxic stallers.

The set:
Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Recover

Also this is preference but I feel it would be better if you used toxic over roar on heatran, though both work.

Hi, that's a good team, but i have some small improvement for you.

First of replace Ballon with Leftovers on Heatran. Heatran is defensive version, so it will need to take some hits and you will lose that ballon almost every battle. Also using Leftovers is the the only way to recover some health, and you will need that. Then I would use Earthquake with a Sassy nature on Gastrodon. This lets you hit specially defensive Jirachi and Tyranitar harder, which is important as both pose a big problem to your Reuniclus.
And last but not least I would change your Virizion set. The mixed set is rather for wallbreaking than for sweeping. Your Dragonite and Reuniclus are both good for weakening most walls, so you can use a more powerful set for Virizion. Use the Swords Dance set for immediate power or the Calm Mind set for a more reliable set up. Both are good, so you can choose whatever you like. (PS: CM set rules)

I hope this helps

Yes Good team man nice core defensive.Well.But skarmory on ferrothorn but gliscor sub SD with acrobatic is very going to hurt without you can make nothing because he will have Sand stream + Sand veil.Rapid spinner is good too !

Hey there.

A Rapid Spinner would greatly help this team out. Entry hazards completely cripple your team; even Toxic Spikes alone can cause you problems. Stealth Rock also stops Dragonite from coming in with Multiscale intact, making it less useful. You're also quite weak to SD Gliscor, who can destroy your team outside of Virizion, who won't be around for long with Life Orb and entry hazard damage. Ferrothorn isn't really necessary on your team since Gastrodon can already take on rain teams (Virizion can take them too), so I suggest that you replace it with a Forretress. Forretress can provide your team with Rapid Spin support, as well retaining the ability to use Spikes. It's also a Steel-type, meaning it can take Outrages from Dragon-types just like Ferrothorn could. It can also carry Hidden Power Ice, allowing it to defeat the likes of Gliscor (this works great since a lot of Gliscors will try to set up on Forretress). It can also carry Volt Switch, allowing it to break free of the clutches of Magnezone and preserve momentum.

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Also, run Leftovers over Air Balloon on Heatran. Heatran needs as much recovery as it can get, and Air Balloon makes it so it has no chance to get any. Balloon will just get broken every time you switch in your Heatran anyway, especially since it's a wall. Leftovers also works well with Protect.

Solid team. Hope I helped, and good luck!

Hm, i have noticed the Gliscor weakness and it is a big one. I'll definitely try Forretress but i'll miss the Thunder waving Ferro provided. Also changed Air Balloon for Leftovers and i'm still testing the other suggestions Thanks.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The team looks pretty good and you seem to have an answer to most threats, but it looks like your team is swept pretty easily by an SD Scizor, as it can nearly KO everything on your team when SR is up. To help you out here, I would use 160 speed EVs on your Heatran, this allows you to out speed all Adamant Scizor, while still keeping decent bulk.

Next thing I'd like to move on is replacing the Dragonite set with a Gyarados.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 8 Spd / 252 Def / 248 HP
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave / Rest
- Dragon Tail / Roar
- Taunt / Sleep Talk
- Waterfall

Gyarados helps you loads against all the threats you have mentioned to be weak to, like Scizor and Gliscor. Dragonite does have better bulk when Multiscale is intact, but Gyarados has Intimidate while still offering Thunder Wave support for your slow sweepers (Reuniclus). I would personally go for the bulky Rest Talk set, because after switching into SR and the resisted attack, you're not going to stay around too long, but if you think you can keep Gyarados alive then go for it. Gyarados fears electric types attacks (obviously), but you have 3 great counters to Rotom W and Jolteon, so its not that much of an issue.

Hope this helps

I remember fighting that Virizion, really unexpected, man.

This is a really solid team, and I like its anti-weather core. All I can say is what ShootingStarmie said, use 160 Speed EVs on Heatran, otherwise it's much easier to kill.

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
I don't now why this has bothered me, but why run relaxed when not using Gyro ball? It doesn't really matter but... Nevermind. Liking that boltbeam coverage though ;)

Anyway, Aquaa. Your rate:

From what I can tell (which isn't much lol) powerful set up sweepers such as SD Terrakion and DD Salamence can utterly decimate your team should they manage to set up, especially the former. Granted its easier said than done, but should Terrakion manage to switch in safely against heatran, your in for a world of hurt (Terra forces Heatran out, thus obtaining the aforementioned boost rather easily). Reuniclus cant absorb a hit as a +2 Rock gem boosted stone edge easily KO's. In fact, your only hope is winning the speed tie with Virizion, which is impossible thanks to the imperfect speed IV that HP Ice requires. To rectify this, Choice scarf Latios can easily revenge any wayward Terrakion, taking a giant eon shit all over the musketeer. It also acts as a "Failsafe" for most boosting pokemon, as everything takes a heavy blow from Draco meteor. If you want, Scarf Moxiemence can also work; it really depends on what side of the attacking spectrum you want to hit. The set-
Latios@Choice Scarf
Timid; 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Draco Meteor | Surf | Hidden Power Fire | Trick

Well thats all I have for now, Gl and hope I helped!

I'ma reply more later but, you can get HPice by using 30 Atk and Def IVs iirc so I can still rely on speed ties :P.

I'ma reply more later but, you can get HPice by using 30 Atk and Def IVs iirc so I can still rely on speed ties :P.
Hm. I've always used 31/31/31/31/31/30 (Its the default of course, just never bothered to change it) Tbh, I wasn't thinking about the alternative when I wrote that up. Nonetheless, relying on the speed tie is a very inefficient and unrealiable way to check Terrakion.

Hm. I've always used 31/31/31/31/31/30 (Its the default of course, just never bothered to change it) Tbh, I wasn't thinking about the alternative when I wrote that up. Nonetheless, relying on the speed tie is a very inefficient and unrealiable way to check Terrakion.
Obv.
I'm just testing some stuff at the moment. Mostly Jellicent>Gastrodon, Forretress>Ferrothorn and Latios>Reuniclus.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Cool team. I see standard SD Terrakion being a threat. If it gets an SD up it's pretty much GG unless Virizion wins the speed tie. I can see a Scarf Terrakion of your own working as it can check your Tornadus weakness too. I can see it working over Virizion as it really doesn't contribute much. Feel free to correct me as this is just my opinion

Nice team!

Hey dude, solid team there! :]

One suggestion I have for you though, is to change your ev spread on gastrodon to 252 Hp, 252 Def and 4 SpD. This way, you can check volt turn much more easily, since that slug takes only 45% max from cb u-turn.

Gl!

Lol, I like how by countering weather you made a good team.
It is really rare in ou, but weavile can demolish most of your team with ice stab and low kick. physically defensive would gastro help with that, but it's not really a common threat.

On the other hand, tornadus t is really common and with sr up dnite can't switch in. Sp def heatran is decent, although focus blast is gonna hurt after a few switch ins.

Trying jelli over gastro is interesting, because if your hazards all get spun dnite and heatran are way less effective (especially dnite). I wouldnt say you are that weak to volt turn because you have heatran, and you do have 2 grass types for volt switch (although none stop it as well as gastro).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)