PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD: A Monotype Take on the OU Metagame - Analysis

justsomedude86 makes a good point. As voodoo pimp pointed out, this is for standard OU, but if a submission includes DW Pokemon, I believe it's fine as long as it's noted properly that the ability is unreleased as of the moment.

So a simple question, yet one that needs discussion ! What type do you think is the most capable of making good results in standard OU ?

Personally, i'll go and say water / fighting !

Water is, well, water. With mofo drizzle toad and lots of great pokes.

And i added fighting cuz i find them to be the monotype that can handle it's weaknesses the best ( stealth rock vs flying, scrafty vs psychic, and prankster sableye to do massive annoyance ).

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
The Poison Analysis is a bit incorrect but I'd like to add a few things as well.
Text to be removed is in Red
Text to be added is in Blue
Comments are in purple

PROS:

• Weaknesses covered by those with immunities (Drapion, Levitators, Crobat)
  • Has some of the fastest Pokes in the meta (Gengar, Scolipede, Crobat)
  • Toxic immune
  • Wicked mixed coverage
  • Can use Black Sludge over Leftovers to screw over Trick users
  • Plenty of support options, all well equipped with entry hazards
  • Does pretty well in both rain (Tentacruel, Toxicroak) and sun (Venusaur)
  • Spore user (Amoonguss)

CONS:
  • Limited in typing combinations
  • Weezing and Tentacruel are the only viable walls against Physical and Special sweepers respectively
  • Only Natural Cure Roserade and Shed Skin Arbok can comfortably switch into all status. Gengar, the Nidos, and Toxicroak block Body Slam, T-Wave, and Scald respectively
  • Only spinner is Tentacruel
  • Only members immune to sandstorm are the Nidos
  • Pretty much open to Psychic sweep without a Dark-type or Scarfed Sweeper I know from experience that Scarf Gengar, LO Toxicroak Sucker Punch, Scolipede, and especially Scarf Drapion can take down Psychic threats and Pokemon like Nidoking and Roserade bully slower Psychics with extremely powerful STAB
  • Can't deal with Rock or Dragon attacks outside of "switch to lone wall" Nidos resist Rock. Scarf Gengar can revenge all Dragons.
  • No clerics (Heal Bell or Wish users) Roserade and Vileplume have Aromatherapy.

NOTABLE MEMBERS:
Base 112 Speed, Megahorn with EQ coverage, Spikes, Swords Dance, Agility, & Baton Pass is pretty notable.

TYPE SYNERGY:
  • Immune to Psychic: Drapion, Skuntank
  • Immune to Ground: Crobat, Gengar, Weezing
  • Neutral to Ground: Ariados, Beedrill, Dustox, Scolipede, Venomoth, Amoongus, Roserade, Venusaur, Victreebel, Vileplume
  • Neutral to Psychic: none
Venomoth may be worth mentioning with Quiver Dance and immunity to secondary effects of Body Slam & Scald.

PROS:

• Weaknesses covered by those with immunities (Drapion, Levitators, Crobat)
  • Has some of the fastest Pokes in the meta (Gengar, Scolipede, Crobat)
  • Toxic immune
  • Wicked mixed coverage
  • Can use Black Sludge over Leftovers to screw over Trick users
  • Plenty of support options, all well equipped with entry hazards
  • Does pretty well in both rain (Tentacruel, Toxicroak) and sun (Venusaur)
  • Spore user (Amoonguss)

CONS:
  • Limited in typing combinations
  • Weezing and Tentacruel are the only viable walls against Physical and Special sweepers respectively
  • Only Natural Cure Roserade and Shed Skin Arbok can comfortably switch into all status. Gengar, the Nidos, and Toxicroak block Body Slam, T-Wave, and Scald respectively
  • Only spinner is Tentacruel
  • Only members immune to sandstorm are the Nidos
  • Pretty much open to Psychic sweep without a Dark-type or Scarfed Sweeper
  • Can't deal with Dragon attacks outside of "switch to lone wall"
  • No Wish users

NOTABLE MEMBERS:

TYPE SYNERGY:
  • Immune to Psychic: Drapion, Skuntank
  • Immune to Ground: Crobat, Gengar, Weezing
  • Neutral to Ground: Ariados, Beedrill, Dustox, Scolipede, Venomoth, Amoongus, Roserade, Venusaur, Victreebel, Vileplume
  • Neutral to Psychic: none

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
So a simple question, yet one that needs discussion ! What type do you think is the most capable of making good results in standard OU ?

Personally, i'll go and say water / fighting !

Water is, well, water. With mofo drizzle toad and lots of great pokes.

And i added fighting cuz i find them to be the monotype that can handle it's weaknesses the best ( stealth rock vs flying, scrafty vs psychic, and prankster sableye to do massive annoyance ).
I would say that Water, Dragon, and Psychic would be the most viable in the metagame imo. Water and Psychic has alot of diversity, allowing them to beat there type weaknesses(Victini beating Bug-Types for example). Dragon also has alot of potential due to the huge power of Dragon-Types. Also with many Dragon-Types carrying moves like Fire Blast/Earthquake the team won't be completely walled by Steel-Types. Also due to some teams only carrying one-two Steel-Types, they can even just be overpowered with Outrages.

I like monotype, but it should extend to other tiers.
Also, I am waiting for a normal-ghost type to use mono normal. I like mono-fighting, with pokes like mienshao and macamp. Unfortanely, a lot of types dont get hazards. Can i find out which ones? thanks.

EDIT: Mono Dragon does not outclass mono normal, except offensively. Sum pokes get outrage, and ice beam is common- bolt beam, for water types, etc.
Also, mono dark vs mono fighting with justified would be funny.

Mono Grass Analysis (Almost Finished)

MONO-GRASS

OVERVIEW:

Grass types, known for their abundant amount of weaknesses and lack of representation in OU, are usually considered inferior to most monotypes. But don't take this the wrong way, as monograss can be extremely effective and difficult to take down when used well. Monograss also receives excellent representation from Breloom, Celebi, Virizion, Ferrothorn, Whimsicott, and Venusaur and generally does well against most weathers. It also has a wide range of Pokemon to choose from, so Monograss isn't a normal cookie cutter type.

PROS:
  • Access to every entry hazard and status in the game, particularly Stealth Rock helps to take down Flying, Fire, Bug, and Ice pokemon that are strong against Grass.
  • Can be played in balanced, hyper offense, and stall.
  • Huge variety of Pokemon, so it is uncommon to have identical Grass teams.
  • Can heal and sweep at the same time with boosted Giga Drains.
  • Can generally beat most weathers, especially rain and sand.
CONS:
  • Weak to U-Turn, very common currently in the OU metagame.
  • Most Grass types tend to lean on the special side and therefore get walled by many special walls.
  • Grass generally doesn't get good coverage paired up with other types, so you often have to make a choice to forego STAB or coverage.
  • Some of monograss' best options are currently not released in DW, such as Technician Breloom and Contrary Serperior.
NOTABLE MEMBERS:

Ludicolo

Probably a Pokemon that is almost necessary for your Monograss, Ludicolo provides your team with a special tank, a check against dragons and Heatran, a good coverage sweeper, and much more. The Mexican pineapple will most likely be sponging most of the fire attacks aimed at your team, though it can also be used to launch a Rain Dance and become your main sweeper with Swift Swim. It can also be used on Stall with Rain Dish and Leech Seed, but without unlimited rain afforded by Drizzle, it is usually seen as less effective.

Whimsicott (and Cottonee)

An excellent little cottonball that ensures that you will never be fully swept as long as it's still alive on your team. With priority Encore and Stun Spore, you're able to take out set up sweepers (primarily DD users) before they can 6-0 you. Another thing to note though is Whimsicott's other options in Tailwind and Sunny Day, allowing you to get a number of turns where you can outspeed your opponent. You can even use both Whimsicott and Cottonee to pull a Prankster induced sun set-up for your team.

Ferrothorn

Your sexy Durian is at it again in Monograss, getting up precious Stealth Rocks that cover most of the weaknesses to the team along with providing a way to slowly wittle down U-Turn users. Can also slow down your opponent's team with a well placed Thunder Wave and provide one of the only ways to handle a Brave Bird sweeper.

Chlorophyll Sweepers

While not the only way by far to play Monograss, setting up for a Sun sweep is a valid option for your team to consider. Sweepers such as Venusaur, Victribel (which also has access to Sucker Punch), Sawsbuck, Leafeon, Leavanny, Exeggutor, Tangrowth, and others can attempt to overwelm your opponents in a HO type manner, supported by Whimsicott and Cottonee.

Spore Users

Breloom does an excellent job for the team with its ability to incapacitate one of your opponents Pokemon with Spore and then either go with a SubPunch set or a SD set. It is also one of the few physical Grass types and is the only Grass pokemon that carries reliable STAB recovery. Amoonguss can take very solid hits and take out a Pokemon due to sleep. It is also disable set up sweepers with Clear Smog. Parasect does well at taking on Rain teams with its Dry Skin ability and physical set, but Monograss generally does well with Rain teams anyways.

Cradily, Virizion, Celebi, Abomasnow, Sceptile, Rotom-C

Cradily pairs excellently with most of your team's weaknesses. Virizion is fast and can attack hard on the physical side with Close Combat/Stone Edge. Nasty Plot Celebi is an excellent member to Monograss despite making it weaker to Bug moves, but can muscle past teams on its own with one turn of set up. Abomasnow is mentioned because of Snow Warning, but generally is an inferior Pokemon. Sceptile with a Choice Scarf and HP Ice provides a check to many Pokemon that you may have let set up. Rotom-C can use Trick to slow something down but doesn't provide much synergy.

DREAM WORLD OPTIONS:

Technician Breloom

Huge boost to Mono Grass comes in the form of Technician Breloom, a monster of a Pokemon that can sleep its counter, SD on the switch, and then proceed to dismantle an entire team with a combination of Technician-boosted Mach Punch and Bullet Seed. Helps to take care of a lot of common Grass counters and can take on Hail teams pretty well.

Contrary Serperior

Excellent Pokemon that can go through and sweep entirely on its own. A set with Leaf Storm and HP Rock is usually enough to get through most of Grass's weaknesses, often making you think you're running a "Mono Serperior" team than a "Mono Grass" team.

TYPE SYNERGY:
  • Neutral to Bug:
  • Neutral to Fire:
  • Neutral to Ice:
  • Neutral to Flying:
  • Neutral to Poison:
  • Honorable mention: A lot of Grass types share a secondary typing in Poison, allowing you to pick up Toxic Spikes for free on the switch-in.

^^^^

Just finished up for the most part that grass type analysis I've been promising since last week. If anyone would like to add images to pokemon (btw where do you find those sprites at? haha) and fix up the type synergy section (it's late here) feel free.

Just out of curiosity, why is there a Garchomp sprite in the Dragon's Notable Members? If you're counting Ubers, keep it there and change "No Stealth Rocks" to "lack of Stealth Rock bar Ubers (Garchomp, Dialga)". Not trying to be a smart Alec but thought it would be worth point out and fixing.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
While this isn't exactly useful, Sap Sipper Azumarill provides an immunity to Grass attacks for Water teams. Again, not exactly the most useful set out there, but for completion's sake it might as well be added.

Dream World Seaking is also immune to Electric (whoever gave it Lightningrod is either an idiot or a genius), although I'm not sure if it's released.

TYPE: Ice

PROS: When using an mono-Ice team, you should always use a Hail team. Hail is what provides the extra oomph for an otherwise bad type. But with Hail, you gain 100% accurate, 180 base power Blizzards. Another benefit is the 6% damage to non-ice types, paired with abilities that enhance stalling in Snow Cloak and Ice Body.

CONS: Ice is a con in and of itself. It's the worst defensive type in the game, being weak to very common attacking types. Rock (Stealth Rock), Fire, Fighting, and Steel is an awful palette of weaknesses to have. Couple that with only 1 resist (Ice), and you're already fighting an uphill battle.

NOTABLE MEMBERS:

Abomasnow: This should always be your 1st Pokemon. Snow Warning summons a permanent hailstorm for your team. Abomasnow has some decent variety in its movepool, such as Focus Punch, Leech Seed, and STAB Grass attacks to hurt Water types trying to absorb Blizzards. Sadly, the secondary Grass type doesn't help with any of the weaknesses of Ice, but does provide more opportunities to switch in on Politoed, and a few other common Rain sweepers.

Cloyster: One of the only Ice-typed "sweepers" available. It can attempt a sweep with Shell Smash, or provide team support with Rapid Spin, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes.

Cryogonal: Cryogonal is your best bet at a Rapid Spinner. Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes especially are a large thorn in the side of the stallish nature of Hail teams. Cryogonal is an excellent Special Tank, and can use Recover to be able to spin for your team again later.

Froslass: Froslass is another almost mandatory addition to an Ice team. Sporting a very valuable Fighting immunity, high speed, Snow Cloak, and Spikes, Froslass provides excellent support. A combination of Substitute, Thunder Wave, Blizzard, and a little luck can be lethal to any team.

Glaceon: Glaceon is tied with Kyurem for the strongest available Blizzard, with 130 Special Attack. There aren't many other reasons to use it, except maybe Wish, or an additional chance to end a sure sweep (via Snow Cloak), but both are unreliable.

Kyurem: Kyurem is the Ice-typed wrecking ball. With 130 in both attacking stats, dual 180 base power STABS in Blizzard and Outrage, as well as the 210 base power Draco Meteor, Kyurem can power through even the bulkiest of Pokemon. It has decent speed, but struggles with speedy sweepers such as Terakion, and all forms of entry hazards.

Mamoswine: Mamoswine is another Ice-typed mainstay, being one of only 2 in the OU tier. Mamo provides a much needed attack from the physical side. with STAB Earthquake and priority in Ice Shard, as well as support via Stealth Rock and Roar. Snow Cloak helps get an occasional extra hit in on a threatening sweeper, and Endeavor can be used while at low health to bring any opponent into KO range.

Rotom-Freeze: Rotom's refrigerator forme is another good support choice. STAB Volt Switch, Will-o-Wisp, and a decent recovery option in Pain Split with good bulk can really help play around certain threats.

Walrein: Although it has a worse typing, Walrein has greater bulk than Swampert, thanks to its 110 HP stat. And with Ice Body and Leftovers, and Substitute and Protect, "Stallrein" can do just that. It can stall anything the opponent throws at it, provided it gets the first Substitute up, for 32 entire turns. If you can manage to keep Cloyster's Toxic Spikes up, Walrein can stall as all of your opponent's grounded Pokemon die slowly and painfully.

TYPE SYNERGY: (I added to this a bit, more of an overall list of some resistances)
  • Immune to Fighting: Froslass
  • Immune to Ground: Articuno, Cryogonal, Delibird, Rotom-F
  • Immune to Electric: Mamoswine
  • Neutral to Fighting: Articuno, Delibird, Jynx
  • Neutral to Fire: Kyurem, Cloyster, Dewgong, Lapras, Walrein, Mamoswine (Thick Fat)
  • Neutral to Rock: Mamoswine
  • Neutral to Steel: Cloyster, Dewgong, Lapras, Walrein, Rotom-F
  • Resistant to Fire: Dewgong (Thick Fat), Walrein (Thick Fat)

Sorry the in-depth paragraphs got a little worse towards the end. If I missed anything, feel free to tell me/edit it, and I'll try to fix it when I get time.

So... these are for the OU metagame, or the separate Monotype metagame? As far as I remember, Mono-Dragon and weather inducers are blocked on the actual Monotype tier, at least on the PO server, and possibly on the Smogon server, as I recall. :0

Also, Delibird can Spin for mono-Flying. He's utter crap, of course, so might as well use Xatu anyway, but he exists.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
So... these are for the OU metagame, or the separate Monotype metagame? As far as I remember, Mono-Dragon and weather inducers are blocked on the actual Monotype tier, at least on the PO server, and possibly on the Smogon server, as I recall. :0

Also, Delibird can Spin for mono-Flying. He's utter crap, of course, so might as well use Xatu anyway, but he exists.
This project is in the OU metagame, as has been stated before. Therefore things like mono-dragon/weather is allowed.

Thank you for all the submissions thus far. However, I would like to apologize as I have to ask the mods to lock this thread, as I'll be reposting it here. The reason is because the OP exceeds to 100 images max limit, and I didn't consider making reserved posts right after it.

I will be editing in all the new conntributions, and I'd be sure to put up a credits post for all contributors in the new thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)