#Neverused Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Credit to #Pokemon Cups for the Rules and Point System
User Keiran made the strong banner.

Introduction

The #Neverused Showdown is a series of daily tournaments designed to test players teambuilding and battling skills to the very limit. Not only that, but you will get the opportunity to face some of the best NU players outside of the standard ladder environment, enabling players to explore the NU metagame with a twist. The cups are not simply the standard NU metagame, each one will have a unique theme or teambuilding restriction, in order to test players and extend their knowledge beyond the standard ladder teams. These themes are meant to provide a bit of entertainment, so may not be entirely competitive i.e. "Players may not use any Pokemon whose names start with a letter in users name". The theme will be announced 20 minutes before the beginning of the tournament, forcing players to think on their feet and play with something creative. Records will be kept of who wins each tournament, and at the end of each month a winner will be declared, recieving bragging rights until they lose their title!

How to play

Be sure to get on IRC and to the #Neverused channel, where you can discuss the NU metagame at any time of day. This link will take you directly to #neverused. The tournaments will be held here daily; either 4 or 6 PM EST on weekdays, 10 PM EST on Saturday and 2 PM EST on Sundays, but this can vary due to real life commitments of the host or activity of the channel at that time. If the channel is very active, more than one tournament may happen in the same evening. The host will ask for participants at 5 PM, and once a suitable number has been attained the theme will be announced and teambuilding begins. Simply post "in" on IRC when the hosts asks to join in. Players will then have 20 minutes to build their team, then matchups will be announced by the host and the battles begin.

Rules

• The standard NU banlist will be in place unless otherwise specified in the theme for the tournament.
  • Species Clause, Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, and Timed Battle are all enforced unless otherwised specified in the theme.
  • Spectators should be allowed in all matches for the enjoyment of those not playing, everybody loves watching good matches! Despite this, scouting is not permittied so you should refrain from watching other battles if you are still in the tournament.
  • Stay active once signing up, you will be disqualified and possibly barred from joining future cups if you go afk without saying so.
Hosts

Django Reinhart
DTC
Limi
shnen
tennisace
Raseri
Zebraiken
DestinyUnknown
MMF
CrashinBoomBang

Anyone else willing to host these tournaments on a regular basis should contact me either on the forums or IRC.

Leaderboard and Points

Points Breakdown:

• 32 Man 16/12/8 Man 6 Man 4 Man
  • 1st: 5 Points 4 Points 3 Points 2 Points
  • 2nd: 3 Points 2 Points 1 Point 1 Point
  • 3rd/4th: 2 Points 1 Point
The points added up at the end of the month, and an overall winner will be declared.

Leaderboard

FLCL - 29
Raseri - 20
MMF - 15
Zeb - 15
cbb - 10
DTC - 6
Demist - 5
Djangoo - 5
Omicron - 5
AlexArthur - 5
DestinyUnknown - 4
Incon - 3
thewolf - 2
Keiran - 2
VintageBooks - 2
Tribute - 2
Steamroll - 1
LuckOverSkill - 1
Molk - 1
Limi - 1
NatGeo - 1
Full2Half - 1
EBeast - 1
D4RR3N - 1

Results

(Tournament - Theme - Winner - Host)
Tournament 1 - Top 20 Pokemon Banned - FLCL - Raseri

Tournament 2 - No Dual Typings - cbb - Djangoo

Tournament 3 - STAB Moves Only - DTC - Djangoo

Tournament 4 - Monotype + One Wildcard - MMF - Djangoo

Tournaments 5 - NU Doubles - Raseri - Djangoo

Tournament 6 - Try To Lose - MMF - MMF
FLCL vs. VintageBooks
NoLuckInvolved vs. MMF
AlexArthur vs. Incon

VintageBooks vs. AlexArthur
VintageBooks vs. MMF
AlexArthur vs. MMF

Tournament 7 - Item Clause - FLCL - MMF

Tournament 8 - RNG Battles - FLCL - Djangoo
pnerd vs Limi
AlexArthur vs FLCL
thewolf vs Djangoo
cbb vs VintageBooks
DTC vs Molk
MMF vs Keiran

Djangoo vs Molk
cbb vs FLCL
MMF vs Limi

FLCL vs Djangoo
Djangoo vs MMF
FLCL vs MMF

Tournament 9 - Immunities - DestinyUnknown - DTC

Tournament 10 - Klinklang, Roselia, Lanturn and Scolipede NU - FLCL - MMF
No bracket since MMF sucks [=

Tournament 11 - Gen 5 Mechanics, Gen 4 Tier - FLCL - Djangoo
FLCL vs AlexArthur
breh vs MMF

FLCL vs MMF

Tournament 12 - Monocolour - FLCL - MMF

Tournament 13 - PU - Demist - tennisace

Tournament 14 - Damaging Moves Only - Zebraiken - Keiran
EBeast vs. AlexArthur
Omicron vs. MMF
Keiran vs. Zeb

Zeb vs. EBeast
Zeb vs. Omicron
Omicron vs. EBeast They never played as Omi had to leave.

Tournament 15 - Nintendo Singles - Zebraiken - Djangoo
cbb vs FLCL
Djangoo vs zeb

zeb vs cbb

Tournament 16 - NU Round 0 - Raseri - MMF

Tournament 17 - Word Team - Zebraiken - Raseri

Tournament 18 - DW NU - Raseri - MMF

Tournament 19 - No Switching - MMF - Raseri

Tournament 20 - BW2 NU - FLCL - DTC

Tournament 21 - BW2 NU 2.0 - cbb - Raseri

Tournament 22 - Restricted BW2 - Raseri - MMF

Django

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations to NoLuckInvolved for winning the first test #Neverused Showdown!

Full2Half vs breh
Luck vs NatGeo
AlexArthur vs NoLuckInvolved
Senegal vs MMF
cbb vs Zeb

cbb vs MMF
Luck vs breh
NoLuckInvolved vs BYE

cbb vs NoLuckInvolved
cbb vs Luck
NoLuckInvolved vs Luck

The rules specified that the top five Pokemon from last months 1337 stats were banned, these being Magmortar, Golem, Tangela, Sawk and Skuntank. Item Clause was also in effect, meaning no duplicate items could be used.

Feel free to discuss possible future rulesets here, your input is very much appreciated.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well at least I placed 2nd. Dwebble the best.

Anyway, I'd really approve of a monotype with 1 or 2 wildcards thrown in (and possibly weather/damp rock banned because rain will be strong as hell).

Also, Choice Items on every Pokemon. That's always fun.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
I completely am on board for an all Choice items challenge and a usage based one as well. We could also do a mono-color challenge. (Woo came in 4th)

One of the problems Django and I are trying to iron out through a trial period is the time when these mini-tournaments are hosted. As of now, they appropriately accommodate most of the #neverused community - the eastern coast USA, western coast USA, and Europe. However, some of these times might not be good for other Pokemon. I realize that we can't accommodate everyone, but it'd be nice if we could do that for as much people possible. So, if you have trouble making it to most of these tournaments because of your timezone, please tell, and we will try to fix that. No promises, though.

Another thing I want to have before we start the "real thing" is numerous hosts. 5 isn't that much, and I can guarantee you that sometimes not even one of them will be be on/active, or they might not feel up for hosting a tournament at that time for whatever reason. Please PM Django if you're interested, but keep in mind that this is a commitment - don't bother asking to be a host if you're rarely ever going to host a tournament.

Anyways, I liked the turnout of the first tournament, even though I wasn't really there to see it. It had an interesting rule-set and lots of participants. Let's keep that up! I will start hosting tournaments on Thursday.

Also, thank you Django for taking initiative and starting this.

I suggest having less serious rules like 'not allowed to use pokemon starting with a letter in your forum name' (I see you used it in the OP :D) or 'use pokemon of your favourite colour'. It may give some people an advantage but that's part of the fun and everyone can be proud of their unique team and feel great if they win.

I suggest having less serious rules like 'not allowed to use pokemon starting with a letter in your forum name' (I see you used it in the OP :D) or 'use pokemon of your favourite colour'. It may give some people an advantage but that's part of the fun and everyone can be proud of their unique team and feel great if they win.
It'd be best if we had a healthy blend of the two. Serious ones aim to find something out in the NU metagame; less serious are mainly for fun, although the good side affect of finding something out in the NU metagame can occur through less serious ones.

Also, I bet that almost everyone would say that their "favorite" color is red just for access to Pokemon such as Braviary, Charizard, and Emboar.

lol ;) I'm sure there are some out there who want to have a blast with their own favourites and some who are really competitive, it would put a fun spin on things. And it doesn't have to be strict either, Emboar could be brown too or blue because of the shiny version!

Django

I would tend to agree, both types of theme are viable and provide different challenges for the player.

Also, I tentitavely updated the schedule to 5 PM EST on weekdays, 8 PM EST on Saturday and 2PM EST on Sundays. This should accomadate most timezones, but is definitely still up for discussion.

Django

Hmmm the problem is it starts to become late for Europeans, perhaps it could alternate between 4 an 6 PM on weekdays? There is also the option of making the Saturday one something like 10 PM EST.

Saturday should be later in my opinion, and an alternating time on weekdays is a good thing since some people(me) can't be on at the same time every day. I'll make sure to participate in as many of these as possible!

Django

Congratulations to Zebraiken for winning the second #Neverused Showdown!

LuckOverSkill vs NoLuckInvolved
FLCL vs AlexArthur
MMF vs Zeb
AgentDell vs cbb

cbb vs AlexArthur
NoLuckInvolved vs Zeb

cbb vs Zeb

Each player was randomly assigned two Pokemon from #50 to #150 in the standard usage stats, and in addition there was no WiFi Clause. These are the Pokemon people got:

AlexArthur - Linoone Buterfree
MMF - Kingler Octillery
Zeb - Whirlipede Floatzeal
NoLuckInvolved - Banette Wailord
cbb - Purugly Kadabra
FLCL - Swalot Cacturne
LuckOverSkill - Throh Omanyte
AgentDell - Dunsparce Basculin

Also cbb has made both finals so far and lost both. A serial choker perhaps? It does not bode well for his Smogon Tour last 16 chances. Go ahead and bitch about your Pokemon here...

There will be another Showdown tomorrow, with a different host! Be sure to join #neverused

I am having trouble finding #neverused. I search for it and I get an empty server where I am an OP.

I don't think that should be the case.

Django

This link will take you directly you #neverused, and there should be a challenge there in a few hours.

We had an interesting restriction today: Only Not fully evolved Pokemon were allowed to be used, and the item Eviolite was banned.

parpar356 vs alexarthur parpar356 was disqualified
shnen vs natgeo
keiran vs noluckinvolved
steamroll vs raikaria

noluckinvolved vs natgeo
alexarthur vs steamroll

noluckinvolved vs steamroll

Is it hax or is there really no luck involved? User NoLuckInvolved has won his second #neverused showdown!

Django

For anyone who is interested here is the log of the first finals.

Good to see another host doing this, and some more interesting rules going on. Keep participating guys, lets try and get a 12 or 16 man tour tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)