Smogon's Let's Play Central

BetaNights

Hallo, guys! My name is BetaNights and I've been doing LPs for a little under a year, mostly. I mostly do Nintendo games, but will stray here and there when I do some more. Also, most of the time, I try to complete my games 100%. My gaming library is HUGE, so I have a nice variety of games to offer you all!

Here's my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BetaNights

And here's the playlist links for each of my LPs so far:
Pokemon White (on hold): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL569F95C8D4536EA3&feature=plcp

Metroid Prime (completed): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7358676CBEC768EB&feature=plpp

Pokemon Colosseum (current): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFE7C63DAD7037BE6&feature=plpp

Thanks to anyone who gives me a chance~! :D

Hello everyone, just posting to say I've FINALLY gotten around to uploading another video of my Halo CE Let's Play. It's been difficult finding a time to upload it where the internet slowdown uploading causes for me wouldn't tick someone off, but I finally managed to get it done last night.

Enjoy! Also, I'm going to add the recommendations right now, I know I've been delaying it, but I'll get more top of it now. I'll probably also give some of your Lets Play's a look while I'm working on my Pokemon Blue Nuzlocke Let's Play for the competition on Orange Island (I'll put a link for it here too once I get up the first videos).

Oh, and remember everyone, if you want to do a Let's Play you don't have to go the full 9 yards and do a video Let's Play. Video Let's Plays of decent video quality require software and equipment that cost fair amounts of money, but simple screenshot Let's Plays are much easier and cheaper to do. Heck, if you can't even manage that simple written ones are fine too!

As far as let's plays go, clementj642 is one of my favorites; he does great Sonic and Megaman playthroughs, and even finds the secret levels/power-ups/cutscenes that are usually a pain to find, and he's pretty funny while he does it. And Jimera, your Halo CE LP is great, good quality (which is rarer than you'd think) and your commentary is awesome, haha. Two tips: play the level a little bit beforehand to get a feel for how you'll be fighting enemies, or just watch other videos for tips, and also use the plasma pistol to get rid of elite shields, it's a lifesaver on legendary, iirc. I'm sure if you work on more LP's and appeal to a larger audience, you'll get a lot more views. But in the meantime, keep it up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RoahmMythril

This guy does a lot of LPs. He cracks jokes occasionally (which I think is better than a lot of other people who try to be funny all the time) and they are kind of enjoyable. When I first started watching him he only did Mega Man videos, but he's moved on to other stuff since then. But man, he has done pretty much EVERY mega man boss with NO DAMAGE and NO ABILITIES beside the standard buster (NO CHARGE SHOT). He even did a cutman video where all of his shots never missed.

Here's the megaman perfect run playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL38E14F458B281C82&feature=plcp

Everyone should check out bikdiponabus. His dry humor is right up my alley. His LP of Fire Red Omega is among the best Pokemon LP's I've ever watched.

Just a heads up, if you make a recommendation and want it listed in the recommendation list, please link in your post. I'm not going to bother searching for the link if you don't.

And thanks for the feedback OptimusCrime, I'm glad you like it. I do play through the levels before hand (I've beaten Halo CE many times) and I know the plasma Pistol trick... it just doesn't work so well when you don't have a pistol to score headshots with. Legendary is freaking HARD and I'm probably going to have to start cutting sections as it gets harder. Makes me wish I had better editing software, but I'm not sure how willing I am to drop a bunch of money on something new.

I wish I know HOW to get my LP's available to a larger audience. Right now I'm counting on word of mouth which is notoriously unreliable :P.

Legendary is a bit tricky to do a LP of, since it mostly consists of running and hiding, lol. And while that's not always great to watch, I'm sure if you keep playing what you like to play, then other people will eventually want to watch you play it. It takes a bit of commitment, but only do it if you want to, not because you feel you have to.

BikdipOnABus and Slowflake are the two LPers I watch. Bikdip has a dry sense a humour and challenges himself with games like Mario Kaizo 64 and Coinless runs of Super Mario 64 and Galaxy. Slowflake is one of the better Pokemon LPers on youtube and is very through in how he plays through the games, not missing a detail.

BikdipOnABus and Slowflake are the two LPers I watch. Bikdip has a dry sense a humour and challenges himself with games like Mario Kaizo 64 and Coinless runs of Super Mario 64 and Galaxy. Slowflake is one of the better Pokemon LPers on youtube and is very through in how he plays through the games, not missing a detail.
Adding to this; Slowflake's in-depth discussion of the metagame makes him an excellent choice for Smogonites. He's currently on a hiatus til probably July because of Diablo 3, but he's got plenty of LPs already done if you feel like catching up on his archive. Slowflake is also the only person on Youtube I know of to have LPd Ken's Labyrinth and The Room (the flash game).

Just posting to say I have episode 8 of my let's play of Halo CE uploaded, and episode 9 is recorded and just needs editing. Episode 8 is rather short due to the fact that I cut it off rather early in anticipation of part 9 which... well it won't be short. And it will be my most edited video to date too. Not sure when I'll get that up, due to the amount of work involved, but it should be soon.

Anyway, I plan on watching some of our resident Let's Players' videos soon, just need to do some other stuff first. One of the reasons I made this thread was to give Let's Players on Smogon a stage on which to display their work, so if people would watch and give feedback on the let's plays of our own members, that'd be really great!

A fellow bikdip fan! Speaking of challenge runs, hes doing Galaxy 2 coinless right now which is pretty good. And he commentates with his lady which makes for some fun videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RoahmMythril

This guy does a lot of LPs. He cracks jokes occasionally (which I think is better than a lot of other people who try to be funny all the time) and they are kind of enjoyable. When I first started watching him he only did Mega Man videos, but he's moved on to other stuff since then. But man, he has done pretty much EVERY mega man boss with NO DAMAGE and NO ABILITIES beside the standard buster (NO CHARGE SHOT). He even did a cutman video where all of his shots never missed.

Here's the megaman perfect run playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL38E14F458B281C82&feature=plcp
^Been watching that guy for a few years now, I definitely recommend that everyone should give him a watch due to his INSANE hand-eye-mouth coordination with his playing and commentary.

And on a completely different note, I totally recommend www.youtube.com/user/BrainScratchComms
They do post-commentary, but it's basically three guys (sometimes accompanied by guest commentators) commentating on a wide variety of games (Including Pokemon) with the most random stuff on planet earth (in the one F-Zero playthrough, they read the back of a chocolate wrapper because they're so bored). They definitely also have the best Sonic LPs on Youtube, and it's kinda hilarious to watch their pain as they have to endure over 50 episodes of Sonic 06. They've completed many, many, many games, leading for hours of stupid fun.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really only watch Pokemon Let's Play but found most hosts to be competitively inept and tactically loose, which can prolong the course of the album for whichever game the LP'er chooses.

Mainly those who play through hacks can be interesting to watch regardless of the uploader, but there's only a handful of YT users I trust to listen to; most of them fill the gaps with nonsense which does not run well with their own videos.

Wilechase understands the mechanics of the game well enough so that his LPs are worth watching over those who focus entirely on walkthroughs. Clefable919 also provides some nice Speed-Runs on his account, especially when he gathers several acquaintances together and they all comment on their progress as they all race to the E4.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NQlDJNqKzY&list=PL381CDB089946BBC9&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Pixcalibur seems mature enough to keep his viewers entertained.

Ok sorry to have let this go inactive but I've had... distractions in my life recently. Anyone who actually pays attention to my posting habits (probably no one but whatever) would have noticed overall my overall number of posts has been down lately. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things though, so here we are.

I should have the 9th episode of my Halo CE let's play up tonight (it's all recorded and edited, just need to find an opportunity to upload it without causing my family to get mad at me for slowing the internet down). It took a while due to technical difficulties, which ended up with me having to switch from Fraps to Bandicam (yes I did lay down another 40 bucks for this so I hope like hell people actually watch my stuff). It all seems to be up and working now though so hopefully I'll turn out these episodes at a more reasonable pace from now on.

Oh, one final note, I've added a note to the OP stating that if you want your favorite LP to be added to the recommended list you need to LINK to the LP in question. I am NOT spending lots of time searching down your LPs, so if you don't bother linking to them don't expect me to bother linking to them either.

Anyway, back to business everyone!

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm currently doing an LP for Pokemon Emerald in words and pictures, due to a lack of recording equipment and a real-time interesting personality. It's pretty short and to the point, in my opinion.

Let's Play Emerald!

When this is finished, I may put some other LPs that I do in the same thread. Please check it out!

Just posting to say I've gotten episode 10 of my Halo CE let's play up. I'm still looking for feedback so anything you guys could tell me about it would be great.

Also the lists on the main page are up to date now, let me know if I've missed anything.

Seems so, unless people want me to keep posting my Shadow of the Colossus Hard Mode LP that I did with my friends last semester. It is actually entertaining imo.
[youtube]rS76bP6g1BI[/youtube]

Well I'm still posting whenever I add an update to my Halo CE Legendary Let's Play. Thing is I only update once a week or less so :P

Also yes I agree that your SotC let's play was pretty interesting, I watched the first two and found myself disapointed to find out you hadn't put any more up. It's too late for me to watch another long video tonight but I'll probably pull it up to watch it sometime tomorrow :)

Oh, speaking of my Halo CE Let's Play I'm uploading part 11 right now, should be up by tomorrow morning (it takes forever to upload soooo... yeah). I don't know if anyone is actually watching it but really I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who's willing to take the time to watch it. I put a lot of effort into these videos y'know!

I've never liked a Let's Play series. I enjoy playing video games. I can sometimes appreciate watching someone play video games if the circumstance is fitting. However, I can never enjoy watching videos of someone playing video games on my computer. I really don't see the appeal
Try Roosterteeth's (the guy's who made Red versus Blue) playthrough of minecraft
One does not simply play through Minecraft

Well I've finished my X7 playthrough and I've got plans to start up something new next week. I'm just trying to make sure my recording quality is up to snuff before I do anything too reckless.

Well I'm still posting whenever I add an update to my Halo CE Legendary Let's Play. Thing is I only update once a week or less so :P

Also yes I agree that your SotC let's play was pretty interesting, I watched the first two and found myself disapointed to find out you hadn't put any more up. It's too late for me to watch another long video tonight but I'll probably pull it up to watch it sometime tomorrow :)
Thanks! There are currently 3 episodes up, but I have more waiting in the wings if you or anyone else would like me to upload them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)