Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (All Generations)

my first mystery dungeon was red. Honestly some of the pokemon on that game were a bit broken(heat wave on anything.). My starter ws Squirle and my partner was Torchic.
Sky was great though, that was my second game. I was a Phanpy and my partner was an Eevee. It had a great plot and an even better ending.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is the best spin-off series. Also better than some of the main series.

Right now I've been playing Sky excessively, and I feel like talking about a few things.
- Silver / Ominous Wind - I hate it when I lose five Reviver Seeds because Mothim or Xatu got a boost every time. Seriously, this isn't cool.
- Magnet abilities - Lightingrod and Storm Drain. Electrike is practically required if you want to beat Luxray/Manectric in Amp Plains, and Gastrodon is an awesome partner in Surrounded Sea and the like.
- Aegis Cave - Why? I mean, it's a cool concept, but the Unown Stones are so hard to get sometimes... The reward is so cool (the Regis, man, the Regis) but it's almost not worth the trouble.
- Crying - It happens. In Rescue Team when you disappear, in Explorers when you disappear, in the Igglybuff special episode when Armaldo is arrested, and possibly in more Special episodes.

I also remember Blue Rescue Team with a team of Typhlosion, Raichu and Feraligatr recruited in Wyvern Cave. So many good memories...

Also, I just recruited Jirachi and Rayquaza today, all while Azurill was suffering in a nightmare. But then I lost the Sky Melodica when I tried to beat a Zangoose with FREAKING RAYQUAZA and it countered my Dragon Claw and beat me.

EDIT: I just realized how awesome it would be to have a sort of Pokemon Online but with Mystery Dungeon play and mechanics, with both dungeon crawling and team-vs-team.

I just realized how awesome it would be to have a sort of Pokemon Online but with Mystery Dungeon play and mechanics, with both dungeon crawling and team-vs-team.
The only problem is that PMD has no stat cap on vitamins, so there's nothing preventing you from gathering hundreds of them to get everyone's stats to 999. If some kind of logical cap were implemented, then yeah that would be awesome.

The only problem is that PMD has no stat cap on vitamins, so there's nothing preventing you from gathering hundreds of them to get everyone's stats to 999.
Well, technically HP can be raised to 999, but the natural stat cap is 255, and they can be raised over that by the various stat boosting items but...same difference. :P It would be interesting to see PMD made competitive. However, if anything, turn order will have to be changed to accommodate multiple players. After that is fixed, I'd be interested to see what prevalent strategies crop up (Palkia with Agility support? Rain Dance, Swift Swim party abuse?), and thus what stat/item limitations and tiers are needed to establish to keep balance.

Anyway. Most memorable moment in the game...in PMD Red, it was finally, after DAYS of trying, recruiting Jirachi. I wanted to have it grant my wish instead, but after the pain of going through that dungeon, I just wanted it to be over. Some other things I miss--Friend Areas, the way gummis worked for dual-types, and the Pokemon looking like they're actually waking up from sleep instead of...walking in place for some reason. Overall I like the mechanics of Time/Darkness/Sky better, though.

Personally I love playing Skitty--it fits me and actually isn't bad if you play to its strengths--but as far as optimization goes, I found Charmander and Pikachu to be the best starters, the former in the original PMD and the latter in Time/Darkness/Sky. Charmander is awesome for obvious reasons already stated, but even though it's still pretty solid and Heat Wave's worth the wait, the transition wasn't so kind when starter evolution was postponed to (IMO) ridiculous lengths. Thus, Pikachu--say hello to Discharge and Agility, and excellent IQ skills. It gets good stuff late, but at least it can potentially get it before clearing the game. Shinx also gets Discharge but I prefer Pikachu's IQ set; either one works.

Because I get anxious if I don't think I'm playing as "optimally" as I can, I only recruit legendaries and Pokemon I want to solo with post-game. My favorite is Masquerain, though Flygon is also very good. I know, I'm boring. I just find the AI rather annoying to deal with. :P Below is a block of text offering the builds I used if you're curious.

I find D-group Pokemon optimal as solo-explorers. Trap Seer lets me equip a Tight Belt, removing any necessity for food, then Concentrator (best IQ ability IMO) reduces the need for Max Elixirs alongside PP Saver by making every hit count, and making room-sweeping moves more effective. Quick Striker gives an unlimited neutral-type move that is as good as a standard attack, and Hit-and-Runner protects from critical hits. I am pretty biased toward the Trap Seer skill in general, but anything else is also fine to play solo as long as it has some method of crowd control, and a Trap Scarf helps. :)

Flygon's build - Silver Wind, Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, Earth Power

Flygon is cool. Its movement type lets it sail over all terrain, though it can't go through walls. It learns two room-cleaners, though one of them takes...a while to get without Golden Seed assistance. Ahem. Worth it though; if you've ever cursed at Pokemon using Earth Power on you, now you get to laugh at them and use it right back due to Levitate. Its typing in general is excellent. I included Flamethrower to deal with Shedinja and distant foes (when I want to conserve other PP), and Dragon Claw was coverage/filler/deals with Salamence, pesky thing.

Masquerain's build - Ominous Wind, Blizzard, Silver Wind, Agility

Probably the candidate that best fills all my ideals. Can move pretty much anywhere bar walls. Though its typing isn't as good as Flygon's, it's got THREE room cleaners, but if that's overkill it's easy to replace one of them with, say, Bubble or Bug Buzz or something (wouldn't replace Ominous Wind, though: Shedinja). Best thing is, all three of those can potentially be obtained immediately after Surskit evolves, and Surskit can be recruited very early. Agility can also be swapped for something (Surskit gets it at level 31 so if you don't want to wait...), but I find it useful more often than not, especially against Kecleon swarms. Quick Striker gives infinite neutral coverage and way to deal with just solo opponents, more useful here than with Flygon.

That's all. @u@ Wonder what optimal builds other people have come up with?

Anyway, love these games. Can't wait for a BW version...hopefully.

Blue Ditto your spreads seem very solid and interasting! I havent really thought much about sets yet because i just restarted but once i beat the main story and have my sad cry that i dissqpear and then dialga bring me back :) i want to give zero isle a tackle and start contemplating some serious builds. I have been thinking of Mismagius it is ghost so it can go through walls has levitate so earth power aint touching me! also gives me the ability to pass water and larva. It has acces to ominouswind and heal bell so it is pretty good. So who has completed zero isle before? and what do you guys think of vile seed/Foe hold orb andvoilent seeed and foe seal orb? i think vile seed is quite useful. Also my mist memorable moment in mystery dungeon explorers of time is when i tried like 100 times! to recruit kyogre and when i finally got to his lair thingy i turned my game off without saving!

My first PMD was RR and I have got to say I got addicted to it. Playing, day and night. My first team was Totodile, and Pikachu. They owned half the game.

Sometime after that I got Time. I got totally hooked up. The story was amazing. I just loved every single part of it.

I have time and sky, but i actively play sky, training a Level 38 Jirachi's level and IQ.

Moments: Probably getting Jirachi. Or evolving my Riolu. I don't know. But when I do recruit Ludicolo (my favorite Pokemon), it may go up on this list. Darkrai and Dark Hill in Time were extremely difficult, so those would probably be my worst moments.

Starter: Bulbasaur in Time and Riolu in Sky, both fully evolved. My Venusaur's partner is Blaziken and my Lucario's is Pikachu. Blaziken proved a great asset, and Venusaur wasn't bad either. Lucario was very strong, but Pikachu was a bit inadequate.

Recruitment: I bulked up both teams greatly doing this, and I like to nickname all of my Pokemon. Jirachi was painful to recruit in Time (but that is probably because Blaziken was attacking it too), but in Sky it was rather simple.

Strongest team: Either Venusaur, Palkia, and Blaziken or Lucario and Mewtwo in their respective games.

Anyway, love these games. Can't wait for a BW version...hopefully.
I agree. I wonder when they will come out.

i want to give zero isle a tackle and start contemplating some serious builds. I have been thinking of Mismagius it is ghost so it can go through walls has levitate so earth power aint touching me! also gives me the ability to pass water and larva. It has acces to ominouswind and heal bell so it is pretty good. So who has completed zero isle before? and what do you guys think of vile seed/Foe hold orb andvoilent seeed and foe seal orb? i think vile seed is quite useful.
Mismagius is cool, though it gets Ominous Wind as an egg move only and it doesn't seem to get Heal Bell. It does get Magical Leaf, Shadow Ball, and Dark Pulse to play with though. If you want to try it, Perish Song is there too--I think it affects all enemies on the floor. Two other ghosts to consider using--Rotom, who also gets Levitate and Ominous Wind/Discharge, and Drifblim, who gets Silver Wind/Ominous Wind. Neither of them have many options beyond that though. :P And if you're patient for the egg move, plus gathering Life Seeds/Sitrus Berries by the dozen, Shedinja with Silver Wind. I love how this game lets you get Shedinja's HP to 999 like any other Pokemon.

The only reason why I don't use ghosts myself is because the belly drop incurred by moving through walls isn't stopped by Tight Belt, and I'm clumsy so I tend to accidentally wander into walls. :P However, you can still use it sparingly to hide in the walls and attack; I'd also say targeting other ghosts, but you can do that already with room-cleaners/360 area attacks if they're next to you, or just keep walking until the AI moves them directly behind you.

Zero Isle...still haven't done the other directions. Zero Isle North is so fun though. I also think Violent Seed is the better of the two stat seeds--raises both attack stats to max for the duration of the floor/boss battle for no penalty. You can also combine it with the B-group skill Nature Gifter to give the boost to all your allies as well as yourself (combine it too with Golden Seeds and Life Seeds! Too bad it doesn't work with gummis and vitamins). Vile Seeds become more useful during boss fights, since it's one-on-one, and combining the power of both is overkill. >:D I don't bother with orbs usually, unless it's a Luminous Orb or One-Room Orb, but if you don't have access to room-cleaners Foe-Hold Orb is useful.

I agree. I wonder when they will come out.
Hopefully they'll announce it soon after BW2? :0 Think it'll be on the handhelds or the Wii?

Let's not forget how absolutely annoying Drifblim is to face. Ominous wind! Unburden! Ominous wind! Speed boost! Ominous wind! Etc.

Unburden is crazy in PMD2 just because you don't have to waste an item for it.

This is a set that i "theorymoned" and is heaps better then misdreavus

Froslass blizzard/icy wind/ominous wind/thunderbolt

froslass is a ghost so it gets the ability to go through walls. it has ominous wind and blizzard two room cleaners. icy wind is chosen over ice beam as the range attack of choice because of its more pp and ability to drop down my opponents speed. thunderbolt is just for coverage but could be changed to something like shadowball/hiddenpower if another ranged attack is your thing but i prefer thunderbolt for waters and so you are not walled by steels and have boltbeam like coverage. Also i love froslass.

I am training up my snorunt ingame and when i beat the main story i will wondermail somr golden seeds dawn stones etc.

Diatom

An enigma
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I absolutely love Explorers of Sky. It is the only game where I have cried once, let alone multiple times, such as when you disappear after saving time, when Armaldo is arrested in special episode 2. And don't even talk about special episode 5. The whole thing, from the point that you arrive on Frozen Island, is so emotional, that I would be hard-pressed to find anyone who wouldn't cry. Here were some of the most emotional moments from the game:

Main story:
*When you first got back the relic fragment from Koffing and Zubat
*When you saw the time gear at Fogbound Lake
*When Dusknoir takes Grovyle back to the future
*When you comfort your partner on top of Dark Hill
*When Grovyle takes Dusknoir back to the future
*When you disappear

Postgame:
*When Walrien takes Manaphy to the sea

SE 1:
None really, IMO

SE 2:
*When Armaldo is arrested

SE 3:
None really, IMO

SE 4:
*When Ditto shows you the Time Gear

SE 5:
*When Grovyle tells Dusknoir that existence can carry on after death after the battle with Mamoswine
*When Dusknoir laments about not listening to Grovyle earlier when Grovyle is trapped in the beams (Dusknoir actually cries here too)
*Right before the Primal Dialga battle
*When Celebi and Grovyle disappear
*When you see the world being restored to its former glory
*The end credits (the song really fits in well)

Also, the music in these games is some of the best music in a pokémon game in a video game. Some memorable tunes were (names taken from the Sky Jukebox):

*On the Beach at Dusk
*In the Future
*Time Gear
*In the Hands of Fate
*Dialga's Fight to the Finish
*Don't Ever Forget…
*Farther Away…
*Memories Returned
*Ending Theme
*It Can't Be…
*Defend Globe (Ending)
*Limestone Cavern
*For a New Life
*Icicle Forest
*Proud Accomplishment
*In the Morning Sun
*A New World
*A Message on the Wind
*Life Goes On! (Ending)

Don't forget, Froslass also has access to Powder Snow, which has a few more PP than Blizzard and greater accuracy (90%!), and its power is the same as Ominous Wind's.

Sky Jukeboooox... <3 best addition apart from the Spinda Cafe and the save point at the waterhole.

If PMD were made competitive, the whole battle would be 'ROOM WIDE SPAM ROOM WIDE SPAM ROOM WIDE SPAM'. If this was somehow banned... It could be pretty great.

I hate Porygon-Z's Discharge in Temporal Spire, it always f**ks me over. And Venomoths Silver Wind in... in... I forget. It was the one with Aerodactyls and stuff right before you got to Foggy Forest. (When you traveled with Bidoof).

But seriously, this was the only game that when it ended I felt my heart sink because it was just such an amazing game

I Love PMD, definitely best spin off series so far. I always played as squirtle in Red, jut because I could bubble Groudon to smithereens, and he could learn Ice Beam for rayquaza. I also like cyndaquil, but mostly as a partner. In sky, I like playing as shinx, as the rivalry and intimidate come in quite handy. He learns discharge, which is great. I HAVE managed to recruit a kecleon, in sky, but it took forever. the hardest dungeon was definitely the tower with the arceus statue, as those politoads just spammed perish song. These are the only games that have actually made me cry at the end. So sad. Unfortunately the wiiware ones seem suckish, as I looked up some info on them a while ago, and that you have to choose a mon, out of a select few, and the story is so much shorter. (mons depend on the versions iirc.)

I've only ever played MD:B, but it was really fun, and the story was great. I remember I'd stay up 'til like 5am playing it and then have to go to school in a few hours. /noregrets
Favorite part of the entire thing was probably when you
had to go on the run from Alakazam and the other teams.
Also, since I really just suck at Pokemon, Sky tower was just plain hard.

As many other people have said, the music in these games is some of the best music in video games (heck, normal music) ever. I think I have a mid-game Sky file to play, actually. Maybe I'll play that later today.

Yay! Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth is coming out in Winter in Japan this year! Thoughts anyone?

In EoS, Riolu and Bulbasaur are the best team bar none. If you can find it, Focus Punch basically breaks the game as so many Pokemon just take huge damage from it, especially after a Violent Seed boost. I actually OHKO'd Primal Dialga, Darkrai, Palkia and Articuno with it. OHKO. The damage was something like 1200. Obscene.

Bulbasaur is awesome if you give it Energy Ball and Sludge Bomb. You just let it walk behind you, and if it sees an enemy, he will just snipe it from range.

I love the PMD games, amazing plotline especially compared to the main games (although, they have improved significantly). PMD2 felt like a better experience overall for me, but PMD1 was very fun as well. I spent so long playing my PMD Red, good times.
I'm sad that I can't get the recently announced PMD, since it's on 3DS and I can't afford one. But it was to be expected, I probably won't be able to get any new games after BW2 without a 3DS.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really hopeful about this game. Solely because the 4th gen Mystery Dungeon games were just bad imo. And in 3D to boot, which suits this game (I'm probably one of the few who don't want the main games to be in 3D). I hope they succeed in matching or surpass the first two games. They were just awesome.

I wonder if it'll include DW abilities for the Pokemon: Contrary Leaf Storm Serperior seems interesting since LS is ranged.

PMD is awesome, pretty much because it's like the only game where Drifloon is an actual threat (attack up to 8 times a turn gg)

YES. FINALLY. woooooohooooo

The dungeon layout looks amazing from what I can see so far in the first image.

I really hopeful about this game. Solely because the 4th gen Mystery Dungeon games were just bad imo. And in 3D to boot, which suits this game (I'm probably one of the few who don't want the main games to be in 3D). I hope they succeed in matching or surpass the first two games. They were just awesome.
?_? the 4th gen mystery dungeon games were absolutely amazing and had quite a lot of fantastic improvements from the first ones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)