Fist Pump: Pauly 'D' Project LET'S DO IT

Hello once again, fellow battlers. I've been using this team for some time now, and it's probably just me, but I can't pick out what's keeping this team from laddering a bit more. Not that it's doing bad - the team functions well, just not as well as I'd like it to. With that, here's the team:

1. Landorus

Naive | @Choice Scarf
AB - Sand Force
252 Atk/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spe
~HP Ice
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~U-turn

Landorus is one of the greatest revenge killers in the game right now. He can deal with the dragons that rampage throughout the tier with HP Ice, as well as the occasional Gliscor, scout with U-turn, and deal some heavy damage with STAB Earthquake. Stone Edge rounds the set off, allowing me to kill the likes of Gyarados, who plagues this team if its a Sub + DD set. Overall, Landorus is the glue that holds this team together and I cannot see the other pokes functioning without him.

Lucario

Adamant | @Life Orb
AB - Inner Focus
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
~Swords Dance
~Close Combat
~Ice Punch
~ExtremeSpeed

Lucario is an amazing physical sweeper, hands down. Despite not being able to outspeed Gliscor with an Adamant nature (Landorus takes care of this regardless), Lucario does some pretty handy work. at +2, he can practically take down anything that doesn't resist the attack, and for everything faster, ExtremeSpeed is here to dish out that last bit of damage. I tried using a double-priority set at first, but the lack of coverage just didn't work well for me, and so this set is here instead. It's all pretty standard stuff, but it definitely deserves recognition.
I had a Sub + SD Terrakion in place here, but found that with only Close Combat and Stone Edge to attack other Pokemon, I'd get walled by a physically bulky Reuniclus or Jellicent.

3. Infernape

Naive| @Life Orb
AB - Blaze
252 Atk/ 4 SpA/ 25 Spe
~Close Combat
~Overheat
~Grass Knot
~Stone Edge

Infernape wrecks shit. With the mixed set, Infernape isn't completely crippled with -2 Special Attack after firing off an Overheat, having Close Combat and Stone Edge on the physical side. He's an amazing wallbreaker, since many of the walls are physical and steel (Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Forretress) and some are weak to Fighting, thankfully - that's you, Chansey and Blissey. Grass Knot is for stuff like Jellicent, and Stone Edge is for hitting pesky Flying-types in case they become a problem.
4. Latios

Timid | @Expert Belt
AB - Levitate
4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
~Dragon Pulse
~HP Fire
~Surf
~Psyshock

Expert Belt Latios is pretty amazing. Most people expect Latios to be choiced, so bluffing it for a little while and then using two different attacks catches the opponent by surprise. The boost in power is great, considering how many types are covered with this set. The one thing I'm torn about is choosing between Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse. Draco Meteor is much more powerful and allows me to bluff the choice item better, but Dragon Pulse is better for Latios staying in and attack multiple times. I really just don't know.

5. Celebi

Timid| @Leftovers
AB - Natural Cure
4HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
~Giga Drain
~HP Fire
~Earth Power
~Calm Mind

Celebi is just wonderful to use. Natural Cure is great from removing status, which is important considering the fact that it likes to set up. Celebi is just such a versatile Pokemon, it's great in battle. People expect it to be defensive, but when the Calm Mind goes up, +1 Special Attack wrecks a crap ton of OU, and the +1 Special Defense just lets Celebi survive a bit longer. I chose Leftovers over Life Orb because at first, LO gave great power, but Celebi kept dieing too early and too quickly, so it didn't play as much of a role in the team.

6. Heatran

Calm | @Leftovers
AB - Flash Fire
252 HP/ 252 SpD/ 4 Spe
~Lava Plume
~Toxic
~Stealth Rock
~Protect

CeleTran is alive for a reason - it works amazingly well. Only good predictions can take out this combo, as both Celebi and Heatran don't really have to worry about Toxic or Will-O-Wisp, and Thunder Wave doesn't affect either Pokemon that much either. Heatran sets up my rocks and sponges Special attack quite nicely. Protect is there for scouting and getting a little bit of health back. Lava Plume is in here as an obligatory move for an defensive Heatran, as inflicting a burn on almost anything will severely cripple it. Toxic is for Pokemon like Blissey that don't mind being burned, or anything with Recover/Softboiled for that matter. Pretty standard stuff.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hey, nice team
One glaring weakness i spotted is Choice/Dragon Dance Tyranitar. The band set is not as threating, due to Lucario but the other 2 look like they can menace your team with ease. Even after SR damage, Landorus cannot KO Ttar from memory while Ttar hits back with Aqua Tail/ Ice Punch / Crunch. The weakness is further compounded by having 3 Pursuit weak pokemon which Tyranitar can thrive off. Due to this, why not give Bulk Up Conkelldurr a go over either Gengar/Latios?
Conkelldurr @ Leftovers
Nature: Sassy (+SpDef - Spd)
Trait: Guts
EV's: 252HP/96Atk/ 160 SpDef
-Bulk Up
-Mach Punch
-Drain Punch
-Payback
Solves your teams tyranitar problem in a pinch and gives another priority move that your team would like to have. The EV's are geared to helping him take a hit while still being able to hit hard quickly. The -Spd nature is to ensure Payback hits more targets harder and i recommed setting Spd IV's to 0 so that you have a better chance againt reuniclus. Drain Punch and Mach Punch are given although you may want to use Stone Edge over payback but it is inadvisable due to that dam accuracy.
Hope I helped

Hey,

Cool team man. I have a few suggestions that should help it run a bit more smoothly. Like the above user stated, Latios and Gengar seems fairly redundant, especially because Gengar is usually used to protect layers of hazards, yet you're only using Stealth Rock. In its place, I'd actually recommend a Jirachi. Not only does it stick with the offensive nature of your team, but it can actually beat Tyranitar one-on-one (which it shouldn't be doing, but whatever) and it can help Heatran out by sponging hits as well.

Now, because you now have a paralysis spreader in Jirachi, I would go a bit more offensive on Celebi. You can use U-turn to help scout your opponent and preserve your momentum -- this will allow you to easily bring in Lucario against a Chansey or Blissey while the opponent has no chance of getting the momentum. I'm not sure if Leech Seed is the best option there either. In my opinion, Recover would benefit Celebi much more because it provides instant recovery, and allows you to use it much longer.

On Latios, I think you should definitely stick with Dragon Pulse. The staying power helps immensely when you want to sweep, and it really sucks in the late-game when you can't sweep because you've used Draco Meteor. As a minor point, when using this team, make sure you watch out for Air Balloon Heatran. Your Heatran can't touch it, and oddly enough, Choice Scarf Landorus's worst enemy is Air Balloon Heatran because it can't KO it with Earthquake until the Air Balloon is broken.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Wish
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch

Cool team and good luck. I hope I helped.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi,

Your team is pretty good, however, I wouldn't use Expert Belt on Latios, I would use the standard Choice Specs instead. Reason is, you WANT Tyranitar to use Pursuit on your Latios, especially if said Tyranitar is choiced, because it gives Lucario a wonderful opportunity to set up, as it x4 resists the pityfully weak Pursuit, meaning Tyranitar is more likely to switch out and allow you to use Swords Dance. It will also attract plenty of set-up bait for Lucario, like Chansey, Ferrothorn, etc. that you'd probably kill with Latios, meaning Lucario is probably going to be a sitting duck and not do anything, stopping you from getting easy sweeps. Furthermore, I'd switch Ice Punch on this set, as Gliscor is faster most of the time, and your team can deal with Dragonite very well, with Heatran capable of tanking Outrage and Latios capable of OHKOing it through Multiscale with Draco Meteor, for either Crunch or Bullet Punch. Crunch helps you deal with bulkier, slower counters like Reuniclus and Jellicent while Bullet Punch is useful against Terrakion and Choice Scarf Tyranitar.

Starmie with Ice Beam can also be very threatning for your team as right now it 2HKOes your whole team, as well as OHKOing anything except Latios and Celebi with Hydro Pump, and it can easily get in on Heatran, meaning that encountering an offensive Starmie can mean bad things for your team. Like the two others mentioned, Gengar is being quite redundant on this team, so I would suggest switching it for a Choice Scarf Rotom-W. Rotom can take a hit from Starmie, outspeed it and proceed to strike back with any Electric move that you choose. It's also quite helpful for scouting the enemy team and will have great synergy with the other members of your team, and helps you against faster, powerful threats such as Tornadus, and works well against rain teams in general. While having two scarfers may be a bit redundant, Rotom-W can also Trick its Choice Scarf to an enemy to become more versatile, and both won't check the same stuff.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Timid
Levitate
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Trick

Good luck.

Since everyone's been saying to remove Gengar, I suppose I will, considering the fact that you guys are probably better than me. I tried out all the replacements (Rotom-W, Conkeldurr, and Jirachi) with some strange results. Jirachi seemed to be dead weight too much, so I took that out. Rotom-W made me switch too much, and I didn't find it having good synergy with the team overall. Conkeldurr ended up filling the spot, and it works great.
About Latios, I'm still torn between an Expert Belt or Specs, so if any of you guys could help me out with that, it'd be nice.
Thanks for the rates!

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Hi zetlops,

Your team looks very weak to special attackers such as Gengar os Latios, as well as to some threats like Dragon Dance Dragonite and Volcarona. To fix those problems, you could try using Roar on Heatran (over Protect or Toxic), as it can phaze Volcarona and Dragonite, making them take Stealth Rock damage.

Regarding Gengar / Latios problems, you should try using Scizor over Infernape. Infernape doesn't find many opportunities to switch in, and most bulky waters like Jellicent can still wall it, making it less efective against stall, and you still have Lucario as a wallbreaker. Scizor can Pursuit psychic and ghost type pokemon that wall Lucario as well as being a check to Gengar and a myriad of fast sweepers. Here's the set:

Scizor@Choice Band | Technician
Adamant Nature | 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
U-turn / Bullet Punch / Superpower / Pursuit

I also think you should change Celebi's set to a more offensive one, as Calm Mind just slows down the momentum of your team. A Nasty Plot set consisting of Nasty Plot / Giga Drain / Hidden Power Fire / Psychic with your current EVs should be better considering the fast pace of your team.

GL!

I understand the scarf for gengar to take on modest venusaurs in sun but what about timid venusaurs? Most Venusaurs I see are timid, the ones with sleep powder are so annoying especially when they have double speed courtesy of the sun

Hi zetlops,

Your team looks very weak to special attackers such as Gengar os Latios, as well as to some threats like Dragon Dance Dragonite and Volcarona. To fix those problems, you could try using Roar on Heatran (over Protect or Toxic), as it can phaze Volcarona and Dragonite, making them take Stealth Rock damage.

Regarding Gengar / Latios problems, you should try using Scizor over Infernape. Infernape doesn't find many opportunities to switch in, and most bulky waters like Jellicent can still wall it, making it less efective against stall, and you still have Lucario as a wallbreaker. Scizor can Pursuit psychic and ghost type pokemon that wall Lucario as well as being a check to Gengar and a myriad of fast sweepers. Here's the set:

I also think you should change Celebi's set to a more offensive one, as Calm Mind just slows down the momentum of your team. A Nasty Plot set consisting of Nasty Plot / Giga Drain / Hidden Power Fire / Psychic with your current EVs should be better considering the fast pace of your team.

GL!
I second roar on heatran to help out with the DD dragonite. Roar would help especially if stealth rock is up. They won't want to keep switching in their Dragonite to take Stealth Rock damage. About choosing dragon pulse or Draco Meteor on LAtios, that depends on how you will be using the Latios. I use a latios similar to yours, only difference is that I run Tbolt instead of surf so that I can hit Gyarados extra hard. I opted to use Dragon Pulse instead of draco meteor cause I didn't want to lower my Special Attack when using it and then having to switch out since my ability to sweep would be crippled. So yeah I prefer dragon pulse over draco meteor so that I can sweep better. If you plan to hit as hard as possible then switch, then use Draco meteor, if you plan to be consistent and sweep with the latios since you have a moveset which covers a lot of options then go with Dragon pulse.

Hi zetlops,

GL!
Thanks for the rate, I'll try out Roar over Protect for now and a Nasty Plot set on Celebi, as well as the Scizor.

I am.... somewhat befuddled by this team. there are a lot of common weaknesses on this team, but they almost seem to balance out. three of your monsters have a ground weakness, but the other three are either immune or resistant. three of your monsters have an ice weakness, one 4x, yet the other three resist it, one 4x. three have water weaknesses, and yet two of them resist water. I would say you have too many common weaknesses, but it almost seems to work here. Still, i can see rain teams giving you some problems between water and ice. anyway, enough philosophizing.
on infernape, i would go with mach punch over grass knot. you won't be doing that much against jellicent anyway, and it's always nice to have a little priority to help finish the job. I'd stick with the belted latios, it's unexpected and versatile. Draco meteor is ridiculously powerful, even if it usually does force you to switch out, so i would go with it. besides latios isn't overly concerned with entry hazards, only taking damage from stealth rock. you could try a calm mind variant, but you seem like a more offensively oriented player. Celebi has a lot of options, and it all depends on what you want him to do. if you want power, you can use an offensive set. If he's more of a defensive pivot, you could go with a support set. you could even go with a mixed support/offense set, depending on what you want. Just try the different sets on the site i guess, and see what works best for you.or you could replace him with different grass type, maybe try out virizion. wouldn't give you a fighting resist, but he's fun to use, and has great special defense.

With such an aggro team, you can't really expect to be consistent every single battle. A surprise HP Ice could completely wreck your pokes, especially if you don't pick it.
Also, entry hazards could absolutely wreck your team if played correctly. I would simply suggest a spinner in here somewhere, although, apart from that, the team looks really good.

I would simply suggest a spinner in here somewhere, although, apart from that, the team looks really good.
I was actually thinking of putting Starmie on the team as a spinner, but I really can't find anything to take out, though I've been leaning towards Infernape. I'm not really sure on any other spinners so far, although I suppose Tentacruel would be a viable option as well, considering the fact that it can set up Toxic Spikes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)