Leafeon (Update) (GP 2/2)

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
[Overview]

<p>In a tier filled with a dozen viable Grass-types with their own quirks, Leafeon faces some serious competition for some sunlight and attention. As an offensive Pokemon, Sawsbuck gives Leafeon a run for its money, with access to STAB Normal-type moves and Nature Power. Defensively, Leafeon can neither take repeated attacks like Tangela, nor absorb Toxic Spikes like Amoonguss. Atypical of Grass-types, Leafeon's best status options are the rather lackluster Grasswhistle and Toxic. The fact that Leafeon loses to most of the competing Grass-types does not help. However, Leafeon compensates for its weaknesses with an unique movepool and a combination of power, bulk, and Speed; Roar and Wish are moves that a defensive Grass-type would kill for. Leafeon's power and Speed allow it to not miss a beat as a sweeper, while its bulk makes it a superior Baton Pass user to Sawsbuck. Leafeon, just like the other dozen Grass-types of NU, occupies a small and highly specific niche; if—and only if—you play to its unique strengths, Leafeon can be a Grass-type worthy of use over a myriad of alternatives.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Leaf Blade
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Baton Pass / Return
item: Leftovers
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Jolly
evs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Offensively, Leafeon is a rare breed: it hits the magical base 95 Speed tier, has a great Attack, and yet manages to have a very respectable Defense stat. In Return (pun intended), Leafeon is shafted by its nearly non-existent coverage. Swords Dance boosts its decent Attack to new heights, and allows Leafeon to bust through defensive Pokemon that does not resist its STAB. Leaf Blade is a strong physical STAB, and will be Leafeon's main offensive move. Substitute allows Leafeon to scout opponents and set up on opposing defensive Pokemon without worrying about status moves. With Leafeon's bulk, its Substitutes can stand up against the attacks of some defensive Pokemon. Return, its best coverage option, enables Leafeon to hit Emboar and other Fire-types. Alternatively, Baton Pass lets Leafeon pass the Substitute or the Attack boost when Leafeon is inevitably walled by the likes of Amoonguss and Tangela.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread allows Leafeon to outspeed maximum Speed Sawk, while the rest goes into bulk because said bulk is what sets Leafeon apart from Sawsbuck. Of course, a straightforward spread with maximum Attack and Speed is still viable. Alternatively, 252 HP / 148 Def / 104 Spe with an Impish nature significantly improves Leafeon's physical bulk, and specifically lets its Substitute survive defensive Regirock's Stone Edge. This allows for a bulky, Baton Pass-oriented set, but the current set balances Baton Passing utility with sweeping duty. Leftovers is the superior item choice, as it grants additional bulk and recovers HP lost to Substitute. Synthesis is an alternative move that prevents the opponent from wearing down Leafeon with entry hazards and weak attacks. However, Synthesis still leaves Leafeon walled by common defensive Pokemon, namely Amoonguss and Tangela. In theory, X-Scissor sounds useful to hit opposing Grass-types such as Exeggutor, but most Grass-types take neutral damage from this move due to their Poison typing, and +2 Leafeon's X-Scissor can only 3HKO Tangela at best.</p>

<p>Grass-types, namely Amoonguss and Tangela, wall Leafeon to eternity, so Leafeon requires teammates such as Choice Specs Altaria and Choice Band Emboar that can dispose of them. In return, Leafeon sets up on Regirock and Alomomola, which can pose a problem for Emboar. Flying-types such as Choice Scarf Rotom-S and Swellow resist Leaf Blade, and outspeed and OHKO Leafeon. Regirock and Golem both resist Flying-type moves, and can set up Stealth Rock to restrict their switches. Leafeon also requires Stealth Rock support in order to wear down opposing Fire-types. Most notably, Braviary is never OHKOed by +2 Leafeon Return without Stealth Rock. Finally, if you opt to run Baton Pass over Return, Rapidash and Samurott are fine recipients as they resist Fire- and Ice-type moves that Leafeon is weak to. Klang also makes a fine recipient thanks to its immunity to Clear Smog and resistance to Giga Drain.</p>

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Wish / Heal Bell
move 2: Protect / Synthesis
move 3: Roar
move 4: Leaf Blade
ability: Leaf Guard
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With access to both Wish and Heal Bell, Leafeon makes a stellar cleric and a decent physical wall. Depending on the rest of the team, Leafeon can choose to either replenish their health or remove their statuses. Wish is the move that truly sets Leafeon apart from other defensive Grass-types, and is naturally listed as the primary option because there are alternatives, such as Vileplume and Meganium, whicho also have access to Aromatherapy. Protect is recommended alongside Wish, as Protect allows Leafeon to reliably heal itself and scout the opposition. On the other hand, Synthesis pairs better with Heal Bell, as Leafeon cannot last long without reliable recovery. Roar is the crux of the set, and allows Leafeon to phaze opposing Pokemon and force entry hazard damage. In fact, Leafeon is one of the few Grass-types in NU that can both Roar and support the team. Finally, Leaf Blade is a reliable STAB with no drawback, and allows Leafeon to deal damage when the need arises.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread simply maximizes Leafeon's Defense, while Leftovers is the standard item choice for a defensive Pokemon. Yawn is an alternative phazing move that can replace Roar, and can be used alongside Protect to stump opposing U-turn users. However, Yawn does not go through Substitute, and loses its ability to phaze after Sleep Clause activates. Because Yawn lacks the immediacy of Roar, a clever opponent can play around Yawn by sacrificing a disposable Pokemon to the sleep, which leaves Leafeon helpless against a host of setup sweepers, such as Swords Dance Sawsbuck, whom Leafeon could otherwise Roar away. Toxic is a general utility move on a defensive Pokemon, and puts opposing Pokemon on a timer. Especially as defensive Leafeon tends to lure out prominent wallbreakers such as Choice Band Emboar and Braviary, it can Toxic these troublesome Pokemon on the switch and rack up Toxic damage with Protect. However, Leafeon is strapped for moveslots as is, and Leafeon unfortunately tends to lure out Poison-type Pokemon as much as it does Fire- and Flying-types.</p>

<p>Perhaps the biggest drawback of defensive Leafeon is that it gives relatively free switch-ins to metagame threats such as Choice Band Emboar, Braviary, and Amoonguss. However, the fact that the first two are often Choice-locked means that Leafeon's defensive teammates can take advantage of them. Regirock is a perfect defensive partner: not only does it resist Fire- and Flying-type attacks for Leafeon, but it also provides Stealth Rock support to wear down the very Pokemon that uses those moves. In return, Leafeon resists Grass-, Water-, and Ground-type moves for Regirock and provides reliable healing. Specially defensive Pokemon such as Lickilicky and Flareon naturally make good partners for absorbing Ice- and Fire-type attacks. Most notably, Hypno is an uncommon but a viable teammate considering how it can counter Amoonguss incredibly well. Because Leafeon's biggest draw over Tangela is Roar, entry hazard support from the likes of Omanyte and Garbodor is incredibly helpful. With Spikes, Leafeon can use Roar more effectively, while Toxic Spikes have incredible synergy with Wish and Protect.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Befitting an Eeveelution, Leafeon's offensive movepool suffers greatly. This is especially damaging for Leafeon, as Grass-type moves have subpar coverage. Bullet Seed is a possibility to KO Golem through Sturdy and break frail Substitutes, but sees very situational use. Dig is Leafeon's best option to hit Probopass and Bastiodon, but it hits very little outside of those two Pokemon. Leafeon is a decent Sunny Day sweeper, and can afford to set it up by itself with Sunny Day and Synthesis. A dedicated Baton Pass set can be viable, but such a set needs a team built around Baton Pass, and is rather circumstantial. Finally, Curse is an option, but wastes one of Leafeon's redeeming traits in its high Speed.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Swellow, Charizard, and Choice Scarf Braviary, among others, are great offensive replies to Leafeon, as they can outspeed and OHKO Leafeon. However, these Fire- or Flying-types are limited by Stealth Rock. Similarly, Cinccino can revenge kill a low-health Leafeon through its Substitute, but is too frail to switch in. Tangela, Vileplume, and Amoonguss are superb defensive replies, as they resist Leaf Blade and take nothing from boosted Return. Amoonguss and Vileplume can retaliate with their Poison-type STAB, while Tangela's Hidden Power Ice will easily do in Leafeon. Alternatively, Garbodor can set up entry hazards on Leafeon and erase its Swords Dance boosts with Clear Smog. Klang can take any attack from Leafeon and break its Substitute with Gear Grind. Altaria and Bastiodon can prevent any Baton Passing attempts with Roar, but they do not appreciate repeatedly taking boosted hits.</p>

I think a bulky SD set would be what distinguishes Leafeon the most. I'm not sure about the EV spread, but something like SD/Leaf Blade/Return/Wish is something that neither Sawsbuck nor Tangela can do.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I'd think probably on a bulky set Synthesis > Wish? You'd probably appreciate the quick healing, but Wish may be helpful to heal your teammates too (it's a small wish, but w/e), so add that into the hodgepodge list of possible 4th moves!

Or, I might even make zeb's MYSTIC ev spread the main one.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm fine with Substitute being the first slash, its definitely the superior option. Heal Bell, X-Scissor and Baton Pass all deserve mentions in AC. In fact, I wouldn't be opposed to slashing Baton Pass with Substitute, but I'll leave that up to you.

Synthesis is better than Wish on the offensive sets, mainly since Leafeon needs to support itself, not its teammates. I do agree bulky SD is what Leafeon does best, so this magical EV spread should probably be the main one.

Everything else looks good here, but I'll hold off approving it to see what other QC members have to say.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
EV Spread: Zeb told me he has a better ‘bulky spread’ that he was very satisfied with, and I’m waiting on him. Whatever, “a bulkier spread is viable to further capitalize on Leafeon’s superior bulk in comparison to Sawsbuck”
Not really magical, and looking over it now I'm not quite so sure I'm satisfied with it.

Alright, so what sets Leafeon apart from Sawsbuck is only a couple of things: that adorable base 130 Defense, Wish, and slightly higher Attack. It lacks a Normal-type STAB, coverage, the ability to bypass Sucker Punches with Nature Power, recovery in Horn Leech... outside of bulky sets, most Leafeon sets will feel outclassed by Sawsbuck. We should stick to bulky sets -- anything going for max Speed or the like will, for the most part, be inferior to Sawsbuck. If you're really looking for an offensive powerhouse that can chill up in those high Speed tiers, stick with Sawsbuck. If you wanna do stuff like set up all over these bulky Rock-types that are everywhere now, it might be worth using Leafeon.

I used this incredibly bulky Leafeon set a little while ago so it might be a bit outdated, but the idea was to set up a Substitute on Regirock, Golem, and Probopass (and anything similar) and boost away. The spread I was using was 252 HP / 148 Def / 104 Spe @ Impish, although the speed should definitely be adjusted to accommodate for the metagame atm (it outruns Jolly Emboar by one point, currently). The idea for this spread was for Leafeon's Substitute to never be broken by support Regirock's Stone Edge (it's almost never broken by offensive Regirock's Rock Slide, either, and has a decent chance to avoid being broken by a 3-hit Rock Blast from 252 Adamant Golem. As long as Probopass doesn't carry Flash Cannon, it's not breaking Leafeon's Substitute either. However cool free set-up on some of the most popular Pokemon in the metagame is, I'm really feeling that this is not the optimal spread for most Leafeon, especially the more offensively inclined ones that want to outspeed at least some shit and hit hard. It's great for a bulky Baton Passer (and should probably be mentioned in the AC somewhere), which is how I was using Leafeon, but if you're running anything over BP then we should probably look at more Speed and Attack investment.

There are a couple important Speed tiers under Leafeon that we can optimize the spread to hit: base 86 (Rotom-S), base 85 (Sawk, Pinsir), base 83 (Magmortar), base 80 (Braviary). The offensive spread should go no lower than Braviary or else it's probably not going to sweep anything ever, lol. In my opinion, we need to at least outrun Magmortar. +2 Return with 252 Atk will KO both Braviary and Magmortar after SR damage (note that it doesn't KO without SR, and +0 Return can even fail to 2HKO Magmortar without SR...). Rotom-S is Scarfed very frequently, so I don't know if it's worth it to outrun. Sawk and Pinsir are the wildcards imo... it can OHKO Sawk with a +2 Leaf Blade, although it still only has a 50/50 shot at KOing Pinsir even after SR.

If we settle with outrunning Magmortar, we need to outrun max Speed Mag, not the listed spread. That's speed creep. (Leafeon's spread allows it to outrun Magmortar by 1 point, Magmortar's spread allows it to outrun base 80s by 1 point...) That spread would be 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe @ Jolly, which sounds like a pretty solid spread. The 96 HP allows it to evade being 2HKOed by offensive Regirock's Stone Edge (which the 4/0 spread could have been). Unless something else is brought to my attention, this is the spread I'm going to advocate, with the bulky one in AC. As far as the set goes... I'm thinking that it should be along the lines of SD / Leaf Blade / Substitute / Return or Baton Pass. I've found that Substitute is almost essential for Leafeon to function properly, since so much of Leafeon's set-up opportunities really rely on status to scare it out. Regirock could eat a +0 Leaf Blade and paralyze Leafeon, effectively neutering it for the rest of the match. Quagsire (although considerably less likely to stay in....) could certainly Toxic Leafeon, which shortens its lifespan by a ton. Substitute also buys Leafeon a turn to whack whatever switches in, especially if it's faster (stuff like Scarf Rotom-S that could otherwise switch into Leaf Blade or SD easy). I just... don't see why you'd want to avoid using it in most situations, unless you really want to use Synthesis and keep your coverage move. Return is the least useful move when you're using BP since you'll want to take advantage of Leafeon's switch-ins anyway, so I feel like BP should be slashed with that, if anything. Everything else should be included in AC since they're less useful than those other options, for the most part.

okay holy fuck tl;dr. don't read that since it makes -2 sense, use this instead.

- QC, decide on what Pokemon Leafeon should be outrunning, as we don't need/want max Speed. I'm thinking Magmortar. Other options include base 80s, 85s, and Rotom-S. (96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe @ Jolly will outrun Magmortar)
- Add in the bulky spread to the AC of the SD set, preferably to be used with BP or Synthesis in the last slot. Heal Bell or coverage could be used as well, but that's trying to get too much done with Leafeon. (252 HP / 148 Def / 104 Spe @ Impish is my given spread, although the Speed may need adjusting. It currently outruns Jolly Emboar by one point. Its Substitutes won't be broken by common Rock-type foes or Tangela's HP Rock, for the most part.)
- Definitely mention the differences between Leafeon and Sawsbuck in the Overview, since that's a huge thing for Leafeon ("why use Leafeon over Sawsbuck").
- Return is usually the least useful move on a BP set, and BP is the only significant move I'd like to have slashed on there. Synthesis is a possibility as well, although I'm not quite sure. The first set should look like this:
move 3: Return / Baton Pass
move 4: Substitute
evs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
- Big mentions to BP, Synthesis in AC; minor ones for X-Scissor and Heal Bell. Heal Bell does nothing that Substitute pretty much already does for you, sans removing status from your whole team and making it a bit easier to switch in on stuff like WoW Missy, but still mostly inferior to Substitute. X-Scissor provides minor coverage, especially since a lot of its checks will resist Bug anyway. You still only 3HKO Tangela with a +2 X-Scissor...
- PLEASE PLEASE emphasize SR when discussing partners. If you're using Leafeon, you NEED SR or else you do stupid shit like not OHKOing Magmortar with a +2 Return. You can also mention Toxic Spikes support, especially for the bulky spread which appreciates Tangela and friends getting worn down. Vileplume and Amoonguss still wall the shit out of Leafeon, though.
- In checks and counters, Emboar is just as shaky as Magmortar and friends. With SR support, Leafeon has a 25% chance to OHKO 4/0 Emboar with Return -- any Flare Blitz recoil (can be achieved with a little bit of Sub spam) will give Leafeon the opportunity to KO Emboar.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i can't think of anything else, also i'm really tired and have been working all day so tell me if anything doesn't make sense!

breh

強いだね
Mention Bullet Seed when talking about BP. Leafeon is the sole learner of Bullet Seed + Baton Pass and, incidentally, has enough Attack to OHKO Golem with a Life Orb (most of the time, anyway). Unfortunately, this doesn't help in the least against Armaldo (which still gives Ninjask issues); most other SR setters (Bastiodon, Regirock, etc.) are all pretty easy to set up on.

The eeveelution stat spread is so awkward. Leafeon really wishes it had like 95 SpD or something.

marilli

With you
OK ZEB TL;DR

Lol but actually that makes a lot of sense. I agree that Magmortar's the biggest one that you have to outspeed, and Sawk and Rotom-S are scarfed a lot of times anyways.

I also talked with FLCL (he's not QC but he knows his stuff) with the BP mention and how it shouldn't take away Substitute but Return instead. I'll be honest that I didn't really give a thought about that but what he said kind of made a lot of sense and probably I should mention some things that resist Sludge Bomb / HP Ice / Fire Blast that destroy with the +2 boost in Attack.

Django

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with outspeeding Magmortar as the main spread, just mention the other threats Leafeon can aim for in AC.

Also agree with slashing Return and Baton Pass. Mention Rapidash, Samurott etc as potential BP recievers, those are just off the top of my head I'm sure there are a lot of other good ones.

Looks pretty good, but I have a few suggestions.

• Mention Leafeon as a sun abuser somewhere. Both of its abilities abuse sun and it's quite effective on a sun team, especially if it has Synthesis.

[Swords Dance]
  • Slash Synthesis with Substitute maybe? I remember SD + Synthesis Leafeon being very effective.
  • Give some examples of how the extra bulk that Sawsbuck can be helpful in some situations, such as against Cinccino.

[Utility AC]
  • Remove X-Scissor. There is no reason to use it on a utility set.
  • Mention Yawn. It's a great move but there isn't much room for it. Still a decent option however.

marilli

With you
Ok I took all of zeb + DTC's points, other than Synthesis. As for synthesis, it sounds cool in theory but it doesn't immediately benefit you against any of the main counters like Vileplume, Tangela, etc. and Sub is kinda good for avoiding status. Ironically, one of the main ways Leafeon will be losing HP is Substitute, but with Synthesis you'll rarely have space for Sub itself. I'll test that in person before putting it on the main set, but as of now it's getting the #1 utility move mention in AC. (it's a lot more viable than like, X-Scissor, lol)

If you're going to outrun Timid Magmortar I don't know why you would't add the extra few evs for Jolly CB Sawk. You have a new EV spread of EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd. With this spread you can SD on the Sawk switch-in, outspeed and OHKO if Sturdy is broken. With the other ev spread Zebraiken posted Sawk has a 25% chance to OHKO Leafeon after Stealth Rock. But with these extra few evs you can defeat a huge threat in the meta.

well I'm on the QC list now so I think I can do this. With the new ev spread I'd say this is good to go.

QC Approved 2/3

marilli

With you
Okay let's speed this up and I'll shamelessly stamp

QC APPROVED 3/3

if there's anything more to add don't be afraid to post it here

marilli

With you
So Leafeon gets hurt by Amoonguss pretty badly, but it's not like this was a stellar Pokemon in the previous round, either....

Should this go through QC again? I basically had this written...

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Personally I don't think Leafeon needs a full update. You could probably just replace or add to the previous mentions of Vileplume with mentions of Amoonguss. I still think the defensive set deserves an analysis, because Wish and Roar are niche moves that none of its other competitors have access to. Although it's generally inferior to Tangela and Amoonguss, it's unique enough to justify the set. Meanwhile, the Swords Dance set hasn't changed that much and is still overshadowed by Sawsbuck, so you can just make little tweaks to that set.

Once you update the small details in this thread, I'll QC again if necessary.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Should this go through QC again? I basically had this written...
While there won't be drastic changes to every analysis, I made it so every analysis would have to go through QC again to check for a) mentions of stuff that's left the tier; b) potential mentions of Golurk; c) checking over to make sure no new sets have become viable with BW2 move tutors etc. You definitely don't have to re-write it, just double-check it and make sure the analysis actually fits the current metagame to the best degree it can.

marilli

With you
Yeah so nobody really thinks that this is anything like #1 priority but I think this (along with maybe Camerupt) deserves an update solely for the fact that the analysis needs to stop sounding like this is the best grass type of the tier. Also it doesn't have a single Amoonguss mention, which is of course ridiculous.

I'm not disagreeing that there may be better things to update, but I'm stuck with this anyways. So help me move on with this quick with some simple QC so that I can work on more stuff!

"Aromatherapy + Synthesis, on the other hand, provides HP healing and status removal in a same set."

I think you mean Heal Bell + Synthesis since that is what is on the set.

This looks good. Leafeon hardly changed.

QC Approve 1/3

Django

Be sure to emphasise Amoonguss since it completely wrecks Leafeon

QC Approve 2/3

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
Magmortar, Cryogonal, Rotom-S make shaky checks at best, because they either have trouble taking a boosted attack, and/or fails to outspeed without a restricting choice scarf. Magmortar can really punish the defensive set, though.
Remove the mentions of Magmortar and Cryogonal and QC Approve 3/3

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Am. GP Check

Remove

Add

Comment

[Overview]

<p>In a tier suffocated with a dozen viable Grass-types with their own quirks, Leafeon faces some serious competition for some sunlight and attention. As an offensive Pokemon, Sawsbuck gives it Leafeon a run for its money, with access to STAB Normal-type moves and Nature Power. Defensively, Leafeon can neither take repeated abuse like Tangela, nor absorb Toxic Spikes like Amoonguss. Atypical of Grass-types, Leafeon's best status options are the rather lackluster Grasswhistle and Toxic. The fact that Leafeon directly loses to most of the competing Grass-types does not help, either. However, Leafeon compensates for its weaknesses with its an unique movepool and a combination of power, bulk, and high Speed. Roar and Wish are moves that a defensive Grass-type would kill for. Leafeon's power and Speed allow it to not miss a single beat as a sweeper, while Leafeon's bulk makes it a superior Baton Passer. Leafeon, just like the other dozen Grass-types of NU, occupies a small and highly specific niche; if –and only if – you play to its unique strengths, Leafeon can be a Grass-type worthy of usinge over its a myriad of alternatives.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Baton Pass / Return
evs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Offensively, Leafeon is a rare breed: it hits the magical base 95 Speed tier, has a great Attack, and yet manages to have a very respectable Defense stat. In Return—pun intended—, Leafeon is shafted by its nearly non-existent coverage option. Swords Dance boosts its decent attack to new heights, and allows Leafeon to bust through defensive Pokemon that does not resist its STAB. Leaf Blade is a strong physical STAB, and will be Leafeon's main offensive move. Substitute allows Leafeon to scout opponents and set up on opposing defensive Pokemon without worrying about status moves. With Leafeon's bulk, its Substitute may be hard to break for some defensive Pokemon. Return is its best coverage option, allowing it Leafeon to hit Emboar and other Fire-types. Alternatively, Baton Pass passes away the Substitute or the Attack boost, when Leafeon is inevitably walled by the likes of Amoonguss and Tangela.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV Spread allows Leafeon to outspeed maximum speed Sawk. , while the Rrest goes into bulk because the bulk is what sets Leafeon apart from Sawsbuck; of course, a straightforward spread with maximum Attack and Speed is still viable. Alternatively, 252 HP / 148 Def / 104 Spe with Impish nature gives Leafeon a significantly improved physical bulk, as its Substitute will not break against defensive Regirock's Stone Edge. This allows for a bulky, Baton Pass oriented set, but this the current set juggles its Baton Passing utility and its sweeping duty well enough. Leftovers is clearly the superior item choice, as it grants additional bulk and recovers HP lost to Substitute. Synthesis is an alternative move, and prevents the opponent from wearing down Leafeon with entry hazards and weak attacks. However, Synthesis still leaves Leafeon walled by common defensive Pokemon. Maybe include examples of which defensive Pokemon? In theory, X-Scissor sounds useful in theory to hit opposing Grass-types like such as Exeggutor, but most Grass-types take neutral damage thanks due to their Poison typing, and +2 Leafeon can only 3HKO Tangela at best.</p>

<p>Grass-types, namely Amoonguss and Tangela, wall Leafeon to eternity, so Leafeon requires teammates such as Choice Specs Altaria and Choice Band Emboar that can dispose of them. In return, Leafeon can sets up on Regirock and Alomomola, which may pose a problem for Emboar. Flying-types such as Choice Scarf Rotom-S and Swellow resist Leaf Blade, and can They always outspeed Leafy :P outspeed and OHKO Leafeon. Regirock or Golem resists Flying-type moves, and can sets up Stealth Rock to restrict their switches. In fact, Leafeon requires Stealth Rock support in order to wear down opposing Fire-types as well. Most notably, Braviary is never OHKOed by +2 Leafeon Return without Stealth Rock. Finally, if you opt to run Baton Pass over Return, Rapidash and Samurott makes make fine recipients for resisting Fire- and Ice-type moves that Leafeon is weak to. Klang also makes a fine recipient thanks to its iImmunity to Clear Smog and resistance to Giga Drain.</p>

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Wish / Heal Bell
move 2: Protect / Synthesis
move 3: Roar
move 4: Leaf Blade
ability: Leaf Guard
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With access to both Wish and Heal Bell, Leafeon makes a stellar cleric and a decent physical wall. Depending on the rest of the team, Leafeon can choose to either replenish their health or remove their statuses. Wish is the move that truly sets Leafeon apart from other defensive Grass-types, and is naturally listed as the primary option because there are alternatives, such as Vileplume and Meganium, who also have with access to Aromatherapy. Protect is recommended alongside Wish, as Protect allows Leafeon to reliably heal itself and scout the opposition. On the other hand, Synthesis fits better with Heal Bell, as Leafeon cannot last long without reliable recovery. Roar is the crux of the set, allowing Leafeon to phaze opposing Pokemon and force entry hazard damage. In fact, Leafeon is one of the few Grass-types in NU that can both Roar and support the team. Finally, Leaf Blade is a reliable STAB with no drawback, and allows Leafeon to deal damage when the need arises.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread simply maximizes Leafeon's Defense, while Leftovers is the standard item choice for a defensive Pokemon. Yawn is an alternative phazing move over Roar, and can stumpstumps opposing U-turn users with Protect. However, Yawn doesn't not go through Substitute, and loses its ability to phaze after sSleep cClause activates. Since Yawn lacks the immediacy of Roar, a clever opponent will play around Yawn by letting sacrificing a disposable Pokemon take the sleep, and Leafeon will be helpless against a host of setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Sawsbuck that it who would be otherwise free to Roar away. Toxic is a general utility move on a defensive Pokemon, putting opposing Pokemon on a timer. Especially as defensive Leafeon tends to magnetically lure out prominent wallbreakers such as Choice Band Emboar and Braviary, it can Toxic thoese troublesome Pokemon on the switch and start to rack up Toxic damage with Protect. However, Leafeon is strapped for moveslots as is, and Leafeon unfortunately tends to lure out Poison-type Pokemon as much as it does Fire- and Flying-types.</p>

<p>Perhaps the biggest drawback of defensive Leafeon is that it gives relatively free switch-ins to metagame threats such as Choice Band Emboar, Braviary, and Amoonguss. However, the fact that the first two are often Choice-locked means that Leafeon's defensive teammates can take advantage of them. Regirock is a perfect defensive partner: not only does it resist Fire- and Flying-type attacks for Leafeon, but it also it provides Stealth Rock support to wear down the very Pokemon that uses those moves. In return, Leafeon resists Grass-, Water-, and Ground-type moves for Regirock and provides reliable healing. Specially defensive Pokemon such as Lickilicky and Flareon naturally make good partners for absorbing Ice- and Fire-type attacks. Most notably, Hypno is an uncommon but a viable teammate considering how it can counter Amoonguss incredibly well. Because Leafeon's biggest draw over Tangela is Roar, hazard support from the likes of Omanyte or Garbador is incredibly helpful. With Spikes, Leafeon can use Roar even more effectively, while Toxic Spikes have incredible synergy with Wish and Protect.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Befitting an Eeveelution, Leafeon's offensive movepool suffers greatly. This is especially damaging for Leafeon, as Grass-type moves have subpar coverage. Bullet Seed is a possibility to KO Golem through its Sturdy and break frail Substitutes, but sees very situational use. Dig is it Leafeon's best option to hit Probopass and Bastiodon, but it hits very little outside of those two Pokemon. Leafeonmakes for is a decent Sunny Day abuser, and can afford to set it up by itself with Sunny Day and Synthesis. A dedicated Baton Pass set can be viable, but such a set needs a team built around Baton Pass, and is rather situational. Finally, Curse is an option, but wastes one of Leafeon's redeeming traits in its high Speed.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Swellow, Charizard, and Choice Scarf Braviary, among others, are great offensive replies to Leafeon, as they can outspeed and OHKO Leafeon. However, they are usually Fire- or Flying-types, and thus limited by Stealth Rock. Similarly, Cinccino can revenge a low-health Leafeon through its Substitute, but it is too frail to switch in. Tangela, Vileplume, and Amoonguss are superb defensive replies, as they resist Leaf Blade and take nothing from boosted Return. Amoonguss and Vileplume can retaliate with their Poison-type STAB, while HP Ice from Tangela will easily do in Leafeon. Alternatively, Garbodor can sets up entry hazards on Leafeon, and erase its Swords Dance boosts with Clear Smog. Klang can takes any attack from Leafeon, and will break its Substitute with Gear Grind. Altaria or Bastiodon can prevent any Baton Passing attempts with Roar, but they do not appreciate repeatedly taking boosted hits.</p>

Just a thing that I saw:

-Try to right in active voice rather than passive

Nice job writing this!

Edit:

I can provide a c/p if you prefer.

marilli

With you
Yeah I stopped being lazy. Took the check and updated.

Just noting, Immunity with capital I is Zangoose's non-DW ability. Immunity is not capitalized when referring to not taking any damage. Nice job catching most of my tenses, though. I suck now ;_;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)