Wobbuffet

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

So Nanoka?

[Overview]

<p>With only 8 moves, no access to Protect, and no way to attack an opponent directly, Wobbuffet is definitely a strange choice for VGC. Using Shadow Tag to cut off the opponent's ability to switch is Wobbuffet's primary function, providing an opportunity to use a few unconventional strategies.</p>

[SET]
name: Shadow Tag Support
move 1: Mirror Coat
move 2: Counter
move 3: Encore
move 4: Charm
item: Sitrus Berry
ability: Shadow Tag
nature: Calm / Bold
evs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As mentioned before, Wobbuffet lacks options for moves. Counter and Mirror Coat are used to score a KO or two with some prediction. Encore is used to lock an opponent into a single move, while Charm is used to reduce an opponent's Attack. Because Wobbuffet's ability prevents the opponent from switching, both Encore and Charm are more potent than they would be otherwise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Wobbuffet's EV spread provides a balanced amount of physical and special bulk. Even without HP investment, most strong attacks will still do more than enough damage to allow a lethal blow with Counter or Mirror Coat. Wobbuffet should run 0 IV in Speed and either a Relaxed or Sassy nature if it is on a Trick Room team. An alternate spread of 124 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe with a Timid nature can be used, allowing Wobbuffet to outrun uninvested base 70s and disrupt them with Encore. Wobbuffet holds a Sitrus Berry for extra longevity, but holding Leftovers or a type-resist Berry can work as well.</p>

<p>The most interesting strategy for Wobbuffet in VGC is Perish Trapping. If attempting this, Perish Song users, such as Politoed, Azumarill, and Jigglypuff, along with bulky Pokemon, such as Chansey, Bronzong, and Cresselia, make effective partners to Wobbuffet by setting up Perish Song allowing Wobbuffet to buy time until the perish count reduces to zero. Another interesting&mdash;although harder to pull off&mdash;strategy is to use Skill Swap on Wobbuffet. By using Pokemon, such as Chansey and Cresselia, to Skill Swap for Shadow Tag, it can make it much more difficult for the opponent to remove the ability from play to allow themselves to switch out. Other strategies for Shadow Tag include partnering Wobbuffet with Pokemon with Intimidate, such as Salamence and Hitmontop, to shred the Attack of any physical attackers present, or with Pokemon with Disable, such as Kingdra, Alakazam, and Jigglypuff, to shut down a Pokemon completely after they have been hit with Encore from Wobbuffet.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Safeguard can be used to block Status moves. Destiny Bond can be used to deter attacks on Wobbuffet when it is at low HP, but its usage is rather situational. Splash provides Wobbuffet a move with a massive amount of PP, making the opponent more likely to start using Struggle first, but isn't viable due to the timer. Tickle is a decent support move that can be used instead of Charm, but it is extremely difficult to obtain for use in an actual event. Mental Herb can be used to cure Wobbuffet from Taunt, which would prevent it from using its supporting moves, while Lum Berry can be used to counteract Spore or Thunder Wave. Lastly, don't use Wobbuffet's Dream World ability, Telepathy, as it defeats the purpose of running a Wobbuffet.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The inability to switch out means that it is critical to start thinking about how to counter Wobbuffet right from the Team Preview screen. Getting caught without a strong offensive presence on the field can leave you in a dangerous spot in about 3 turns. Because Wobbuffet cannot learn Protect, throwing high power STAB moves, such as Draco Meteor, Meteor Mash, and Hydro Pump, at it will shorten its stay on the field, and returns your ability to switch out. With their extremely high power, Heracross and Escavalier can OHKO Wobbuffet with a Bug Gem-boosted Megahorn. Otherwise, other Bug-, Dark-, and Ghost-types, such as Hydreigon, Chandelure, and Scizor are good at disposing Wobbuffet quickly.</p>

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
I suppose I should have said that a Guts/Bug Gem Megahorn can OHKO Wobbuffet. Which is something that Scizor can't do.

Made that change, Scizor is sort of covered by the below line about other Bugs/Ghosts/Darks, anyways.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Suggest Timid + 252 Speed in order to outspeed and Encore some Pokémon that have a low base speed and\or don't invest in speed.

EDIT: Alternatively you could run minimum speed and Encore some Trick Room users after they set it up, but many Trick Roomers can outspeed Wobbuffet under TR.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Probably worth mentioning that Sableye and Spiritomb are immune to Counter and Mirror Coat, though both are uncommon. Prediction is key with Wobbuffet against Pokemon that run mixed sets (Salamence, Lucario, Infernape, Dragonite are notable examples).

Follow Me or Rage Powder will divert Counter/Mirror Coat, if I'm not mistaken, though to be honest I can't seem to find information confirming that statement directly.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Probably worth mentioning that Sableye and Spiritomb are immune to Counter and Mirror Coat, though both are uncommon. Prediction is key with Wobbuffet against Pokemon that run mixed sets (Salamence, Lucario, Infernape, Dragonite are notable examples).

Follow Me or Rage Powder will divert Counter/Mirror Coat, if I'm not mistaken, though to be honest I can't seem to find information confirming that statement directly.
Sableye and Spiritomb are immune to Counter and Mirror Coat, yes, but that's only one of the threatening things about Wobbuffet. Being unable to switch is very bad, as Wobbuffet is usually accompanied by a Perish Trap strategy. Of which Sableye doesn't really do too much to save you unless it has Taunt to stop Perish Song.

Follow Me and Rage Powder will redirect Counter and Mirror Coat, but if Wobbuffet was, say, hit with a physical attack while using Counter, the Follow Me Pokemon would still take 2x damage Wobbuffet received.

breh

強いだね
Mention Chansey / Blissey as teammates. I remember having a bit of fun with leading Perish Song Politoed (that would set up rain, obviously) / Wobbs and then switching to Blissey if neither of the attackers was physical. By leading with Wobbs, you lock your opponent's leads, which is very important.

Charm shouldn't be slashed; it's a very good move and far better than destiny bond - your opponent will not be attacking wobbs regardless, from what I've played.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Added in a comment about bulky pokemon in addition to Perish Song users.

Moved Destiny Bond to OO, as you are probably right in Charm being more usable.

Best way to stop Wobbuffet: Taunt it with a priority Pokemon such as Whimsicott or Thundurus. That's why I at least think Mental Herb should at least have an OO mention, cause a Taunted Wobbuffet is officially dead weight.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Best way to stop Wobbuffet: Taunt it with a priority Pokemon such as Whimsicott or Thundurus. That's why I at least think Mental Herb should at least have an OO mention, cause a Taunted Wobbuffet is officially dead weight.
It can still use Counter and Mirror Coat if taunted, so it's not completely dead weight, as its not self-destructing to Struggle while keeping up Shadow Tag. Also, since it's pretty slow, you don't need to prankster Taunt it, as most users of Taunt should be faster anyways.

But I suppose I can add Mental Herb, and by extention, Lum Berry to OO

You should put Shed Shell under counters. It's a free ticket out of Shadow Tag (and Arena Trap, which hardly sees any use in any metagame outside of Diglett/Dugtrio).

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
havent used much wobba, but i've seen a cool combo on the GBU that uses a partner with disable and wobba encores them, so they're stuck struggling. could be worth a mention!

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
havent used much wobba, but i've seen a cool combo on the GBU that uses a partner with disable and wobba encores them, so they're stuck struggling. could be worth a mention!
Added a mention in, I kind of remember hearing about something like this back during one of the Wi-Fi tourneys. Not sure why I didn't add it in before. Anyways, it's there now.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Oh, I suppose it does get Tickle. Except that that's from a Japanese only event. From 3rd Gen. I'm pretty sure nobody has one legit, but I suppose I can give it a mention.

EDIT: now ready for GP.

Amateur GP check. Take whatever you think is useful from it.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[Overview]

<p>With only 8 moves, no access to and without Protect, and no or any way to attack an opponent directly, Wobbuffet is definitely a strange choice for VGC. Having Using Shadow Tag, (remove comma) and cutting to cut off the opponent's ability to switch, (remove comma) is Wobbuffet's primary function, providing an opportunity to use a few unconventional strategies.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As stated, Wobbuffet does not have many options for moves. Counter and Mirror Coat can be used to score a KO or two with some prediction. Encore is used to lock an opponent to into a single move, while Charm is used to reduce an opponent's attack Attack. Since the opponent cannot switch, Encore and Charm become are more potent than they would be otherwise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Wobbuffet's EV spread provides a balanced amount of physical and special bulk. Most Even without [investment in HP / HP investment], most strong attacks will still do more than enough to return a lethal blow with Counter or Mirror Coat, dispite this spread. Wobbuffet should run a 0IV for 0 IVs in Speed, (remove comma) and either a Relaxed or Sassy nature if it is on a Trick Room team. An alternate spread of 124 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe can be used (is there a specific nature that this should be run with or a reason why the eight additional EV's are put in SpD and not Def?), allowing Wobbuffet to outrun uninvested Base 70s, (remove comma) and disrupt them with Encore. Wobbuffet holds a Sitrus Berry for extra survival, but holding Leftovers or a type-resist berrie Berry can work as well.</p>

<p>The most interesting strategy to run with a use for Wobbuffet in VGC would be a is Perish Trapping strategy. As If attempting such, Perish Song users, such as Politoed, Azumarill, and Jigglypuff, along with bulky Pokemon, such as Chansey, Bronzong, and Cresselia, are effecive Partners effective partners for Wobbuffet. (change to comma; otherwise the next sentence is a fragment) Setting setting up Perish Song, then and buying time until the perish count reduces to zero, respectively. Skill Swap can also be run with interesting (these strategies you mention do sound interesting, but I'm curious if they're also effective; it's your call, but in my opinion at least you might want to mention whether these strategies work so that people don't get the mistaken impression that you're only suggesting running Wobbuffet for the novelty value) results, creating a Chansey or Cresselia that prevents the opponent from switching out. Other applications for Shadow Tag would be to bring include partnering Wobbuffet with Pokemon with Intimidate, such as Salamence and Hitmontop, to shred the Attack of any physical attackers present, or to bring a with Pokemon with Disable, such as Kingdra, Alakazam, and Jigglypuff (should this be Wigglytuff, or is Jigglypuff actually considered better in VGC? I don't really play it much so I wouldn't know), to shut down a Pokemon completely after they have been hit with Encore from Wobbuffet.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Safeguard can be used to block Status moves. Destiny Bond can be used to deter attacking Wobbuffet when it is at low HP, but it's its usage is rather situational. Splash provides Wobbufet Wobbuffet a move with a massive amount of PP (add comma) making the opponent more likely to start using Struggle first, but isn't viable due to the timer. Tickle is a decent support move that can be used instead of Charm, but would be it is extremely difficult to obtain for use in an actual event. Mental Herb, (remove comma) can be used to cure protect Wobbuffet from Taunt, which would restrict its supporting moves capabilities (alternatively, you could also change this to "which would prevent it from using its supporting/support moves"), while holding a Lum Berry can be used to counteract Spore or Thunder Waves Wave. Lastly, don't use Wobbuffet's Dream World ability in Telepathy, as it defeats the purpose of running a Wobbuffet.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The inability to switch out means that it is critical to start thinking about how to counter Wobbuffet right from the Team Preview screen. Getting caught without a strong offensive presence on the field can leave you in a dangerous spot, (remove comma) in about 3 turns. Since Wobbuffet cannot learn Protect, throwing high power STAB moves, such as Draco Meteor, Meteor Mash, and Hydro Pump, at it will shorten its stay on the field, and returning and return your ability to switch out. In the most extreme case With their extreme/extremely high power, Heracross and Escavalier can OHKO Wobbuffet with a Bug Gem-boosted Megahorn. Otherwise, other Bug-, Dark-, or and Ghost-Type Pokemon, such as Hydreigon, Chandelure, and Scizor are good at disposing Wobbuffet quickly.</p>

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
finished adding parts of the check.

Responding to a few of the comments:

-The alternate EV spread would use a Timid nature, which I overlooked. the defensive EVs are uneven because having 128EVs in a stat at level 50 wastes 4 EV points. By shifting 4 EVs from one to the other to have 124/132, you end up gaining another point without losing anything from the other. Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether Defense or Special Defense ends up being higher though, aside from Download boosts.

-I know that there have been teams that had some success running Wobbuffet in a perish trap strategy. The skill swap strategy is a bit harder to pull off successfully so I added a mention about that.

-Jigglypuff has Friend Guard as an ability, which reduces damage to its partner by 75%, Wigglytuff does not. Also can also hold an eviolite to somewhat make up its loss of defense compared to a Wigglytuff. This is why only Jiggly is mentioned here.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>With only 8 moves, no access to Protect, and no way to attack an opponent directly, Wobbuffet is definitely a strange choice for VGC. Using Shadow Tag to cut off the opponent's ability to switch is Wobbuffet's primary function, providing it an opportunity to use a few unconventional strategies.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As stated, Wobbuffet does not have manyaforementioned, Wobbuffet lacks options for moves. Counter and Mirror Coat can bare used to score a KO or two with some prediction. Encore is used to lock an opponent into a single move, while Charm is used to reduce an opponent's Attack. Since the opponent cannot switch,Wobbuffet's ability prevents the opponent from switching, both Encore and Charm are more potent than they would be otherwise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Wobbuffet's EV spread provides a balanced amount of physical and special bulk. Even without HP investment, most strong attacks will still do more than enough to returndamage to allow a lethal blow with Counter or Mirror Coat. Wobbuffet should run 0 IV in Speed and either a Relaxed or Sassy nature if it is on a Trick Room team. An alternate spread of 124 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe with a Timid nature can be used, allowing Wobbuffet to outrun uninvested Base 70s and disrupt them with Encore. Wobbuffet holds a Sitrus Berry for extra survivallongitivtiy, but holding Leftovers or a type-resist Berry can work as well.</p>

<p>The most interesting strategy for Wobbuffet in VGC is Perish Trapping. If attempting suchthis, Perish Song users, such as Politoed, Azumarill, and Jigglypuff, along with bulky Pokemon, such as Chansey, Bronzong, and Cresselia, make effective partners forto Wobbuffet, by setting up Perish Song and allowing Wobbuffet to buying time until the perish count reduces to zero, respectively. Another intersting, although harder to pull off, strategy, is to use Skill Swap on Wobbuffet. By using Pokemon, such as Chansey and Cresselia, to Skill Swap for Shadow Tag, it can make it much more difficult for the opponent to remove the ability from play to allow themselves to switch out. Other applicationstrategies for Shadow Tag include partnering Wobbuffet with Pokemon with Intimidate, such as Salamence and Hitmontop, to shred the Attack of any physical attackers present, or with Pokemon with Disable, such as Kingdra, Alakazam, and Jigglypuff, to shut down a Pokemon completely after they have been hit with Encore from Wobbuffet.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Safeguard can be used to block Status moves. Destiny Bond can be used to deter attackings on Wobbuffet when it is at low HP, but its usage is rather situational. Splash provides Wobbuffet a move with a massive amount of PP, making the opponent more likely to start using Struggle first, but isn't viable due to the timer. Tickle is a decent support move that can be used instead of Charm, but it is be extremely difficult to obtain for use in an actual event. Mental Herb can be used to cure Wobbuffet from Taunt, which would prevent it from using its supporting moves, while Lum Berry can be used to counteract Spore or Thunder Wave. Lastly, don't use Wobbuffet's Dream World ability, Telepathy, as it defeats the purpose of running a Wobbuffet.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The inability to switch out means that it is critical to start thinking about how to counter Wobbuffet right from the Team Preview screen. Getting caught without a strong offensive presence on the field can leave you in a dangerous spot in about 3 turns. Since Wobbuffet cannot learn Protect, throwing high power STAB moves, such as Draco Meteor, Meteor Mash, and Hydro Pump, at it will shorten its stay on the field, and returns your ability to switch out. With their extremely high power, Heracross and Escavalier can OHKO Wobbuffet with a Bug Gem-boosted Megahorn. Otherwise, other Bug-, Dark-, and Ghost-Type Pokemons, such as Hydreigon, Chandelure, and Scizor are good at disposing Wobbuffet quickly.</p>
[Overview]

<p>With only 8 moves, no access to Protect, and no way to attack an opponent directly, Wobbuffet is definitely a strange choice for VGC. Using Shadow Tag to cut off the opponent's ability to switch is Wobbuffet's primary function, providing it an opportunity to use a few unconventional strategies.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As aforementioned, Wobbuffet lacks options for moves. Counter and Mirror Coat are used to score a KO or two with some prediction. Encore is used to lock an opponent into a single move, while Charm is used to reduce an opponent's Attack. Since Wobbuffet's ability prevents the opponent from switching, both Encore and Charm are more potent than they would be otherwise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Wobbuffet's EV spread provides a balanced amount of physical and special bulk. Even without HP investment, most strong attacks will still do more than enough damage to allow a lethal blow with Counter or Mirror Coat. Wobbuffet should run 0 IV in Speed and either a Relaxed or Sassy nature if it is on a Trick Room team. An alternate spread of 124 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe with a Timid nature can be used, allowing Wobbuffet to outrun uninvested Base 70s and disrupt them with Encore. Wobbuffet holds a Sitrus Berry for extra longitivtiy, but holding Leftovers or a type-resist Berry can work as well.</p>

<p>The most interesting strategy for Wobbuffet in VGC is Perish Trapping. If attempting this, Perish Song users, such as Politoed, Azumarill, and Jigglypuff, along with bulky Pokemon, such as Chansey, Bronzong, and Cresselia, make effective partners to Wobbuffet by setting up Perish Song and allowing Wobbuffet to buy time until the perish count reduces to zero. Another intersting, although harder to pull off strategy, is to use Skill Swap on Wobbuffet. By using Pokemon, such as Chansey and Cresselia, to Skill Swap for Shadow Tag, it can make it much more difficult for the opponent to remove the ability from play to allow themselves to switch out. Other strategies for Shadow Tag include partnering Wobbuffet with Pokemon with Intimidate, such as Salamence and Hitmontop, to shred the Attack of any physical attackers present, or with Pokemon with Disable, such as Kingdra, Alakazam, and Jigglypuff, to shut down a Pokemon completely after they have been hit with Encore from Wobbuffet.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Safeguard can be used to block Status moves. Destiny Bond can be used to deter attacks on Wobbuffet when it is at low HP, but its usage is rather situational. Splash provides Wobbuffet a move with a massive amount of PP, making the opponent more likely to start using Struggle first, but isn't viable due to the timer. Tickle is a decent support move that can be used instead of Charm, but it is extremely difficult to obtain for use in an actual event. Mental Herb can be used to cure Wobbuffet from Taunt, which would prevent it from using its supporting moves, while Lum Berry can be used to counteract Spore or Thunder Wave. Lastly, don't use Wobbuffet's Dream World ability, Telepathy, as it defeats the purpose of running a Wobbuffet.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The inability to switch out means that it is critical to start thinking about how to counter Wobbuffet right from the Team Preview screen. Getting caught without a strong offensive presence on the field can leave you in a dangerous spot in about 3 turns. Since Wobbuffet cannot learn Protect, throwing high power STAB moves, such as Draco Meteor, Meteor Mash, and Hydro Pump, at it will shorten its stay on the field, and returns your ability to switch out. With their extremely high power, Heracross and Escavalier can OHKO Wobbuffet with a Bug Gem-boosted Megahorn. Otherwise, other Bug-, Dark-, and Ghost-Types, such as Hydreigon, Chandelure, and Scizor are good at disposing Wobbuffet quickly.</p>

GP 1/2

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>With only 8 moves, no access to Protect, and no way to attack an opponent directly, Wobbuffet is definitely a strange choice for VGC. Using Shadow Tag to cut off the opponent's ability to switch is Wobbuffet's primary function, providing an opportunity to use a few unconventional strategies.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As aforementioned before, Wobbuffet lacks options for moves. Counter and Mirror Coat are used to score a KO or two with some prediction. Encore is used to lock an opponent into a single move, while Charm is used to reduce an opponent's Attack. SincBecause Wobbuffet's ability prevents the opponent from switching, both Encore and Charm are more potent than they would be otherwise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Wobbuffet's EV spread provides a balanced amount of physical and special bulk. Even without HP investment, most strong attacks will still do more than enough damage to allow a lethal blow with Counter or Mirror Coat. Wobbuffet should run 0 IV in Speed and either a Relaxed or Sassy nature if it is on a Trick Room team. An alternate spread of 124 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe with a Timid nature can be used, allowing Wobbuffet to outrun uninvested Bbase 70s and disrupt them with Encore. Wobbuffet holds a Sitrus Berry for extra longitievity, but holding Leftovers or a type-resist Berry can work as well.</p>

<p>The most interesting strategy for Wobbuffet in VGC is Perish Trapping. If attempting this, Perish Song users, such as Politoed, Azumarill, and Jigglypuff, along with bulky Pokemon, such as Chansey, Bronzong, and Cresselia, make effective partners to Wobbuffet by setting up Perish Song, allowing Wobbuffet to buy time until the perish count reduces to zero. Another interesting, &mdash;although harder to pull off &mdash;strategy, is to use Skill Swap on Wobbuffet. By using Pokemon, such as Chansey and Cresselia, to Skill Swap for Shadow Tag, it can make it much more difficult for the opponent to remove the ability from play to allow themselves to switch out. Other strategies for Shadow Tag include partnering Wobbuffet with Pokemon with Intimidate, such as Salamence and Hitmontop, to shred the Attack of any physical attackers present, or with Pokemon with Disable, such as Kingdra, Alakazam, and Jigglypuff, to shut down a Pokemon completely after they have been hit with Encore from Wobbuffet.</p>

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The inability to switch out means that it is critical to start thinking about how to counter Wobbuffet right from the Team Preview screen. Getting caught without a strong offensive presence on the field can leave you in a dangerous spot in about 3 turns. SincBecause Wobbuffet cannot learn Protect, throwing high powered STAB moves, such as Draco Meteor, Meteor Mash, and Hydro Pump, at it will shorten its stay on the field, and returns your ability to switch out. With their extremely high power, Heracross and Escavalier can OHKO Wobbuffet with a Bug Gem-boosted Megahorn. Otherwise, other Bug-, Dark-, and Ghost-Ttypes, such as Hydreigon, Chandelure, and, Scizor are good at disposing Wobbuffet quickly.</p>

[Overview]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As mentioned before, Wobbuffet lacks options for moves. Counter and Mirror Coat are used to score a KO or two with some prediction. Encore is used to lock an opponent into a single move, while Charm is used to reduce an opponent's Attack. Because Wobbuffet's ability prevents the opponent from switching, both Encore and Charm are more potent than they would be otherwise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Wobbuffet's EV spread provides a balanced amount of physical and special bulk. Even without HP investment, most strong attacks will still do more than enough damage to allow a lethal blow with Counter or Mirror Coat. Wobbuffet should run 0 IV in Speed and either a Relaxed or Sassy nature if it is on a Trick Room team. An alternate spread of 124 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe with a Timid nature can be used, allowing Wobbuffet to outrun uninvested base 70s and disrupt them with Encore. Wobbuffet holds a Sitrus Berry for extra longevity, but holding Leftovers or a type-resist Berry can work as well.</p>

<p>The most interesting strategy for Wobbuffet in VGC is Perish Trapping. If attempting this, Perish Song users, such as Politoed, Azumarill, and Jigglypuff, along with bulky Pokemon, such as Chansey, Bronzong, and Cresselia, make effective partners to Wobbuffet by setting up Perish Song, allowing Wobbuffet to buy time until the perish count reduces to zero. Another interesting&mdash;although harder to pull off&mdash;strategy is to use Skill Swap on Wobbuffet. By using Pokemon, such as Chansey and Cresselia, to Skill Swap for Shadow Tag, it can make it much more difficult for the opponent to remove the ability from play to allow themselves to switch out. Other strategies for Shadow Tag include partnering Wobbuffet with Pokemon with Intimidate, such as Salamence and Hitmontop, to shred the Attack of any physical attackers present, or with Pokemon with Disable, such as Kingdra, Alakazam, and Jigglypuff, to shut down a Pokemon completely after they have been hit with Encore from Wobbuffet.</p>

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The inability to switch out means that it is critical to start thinking about how to counter Wobbuffet right from the Team Preview screen. Getting caught without a strong offensive presence on the field can leave you in a dangerous spot in about 3 turns. Because Wobbuffet cannot learn Protect, throwing high powered STAB moves, such as Draco Meteor, Meteor Mash, and Hydro Pump, at it will shorten its stay on the field, and returns your ability to switch out. With their extremely high power, Heracross and Escavalier can OHKO Wobbuffet with a Bug Gem-boosted Megahorn. Otherwise, other Bug-, Dark-, and Ghost-types, such as Hydreigon, Chandelure, and, Scizor are good at disposing Wobbuffet quickly.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)