The Last of BW (BW OU RMT)

Dear readers,

The RMT here is a team that is designed just before the release of B2W2 on the PO server. Luckily the Smogon server would not change anything until next month. However, with the introduction of more alternate formes, abilities and moves available, teams designed for BW alone will soon be obsolete.

It has been a while since I left competitive Pokemon battling, so I decided to go back to the basics of building a team before the release of B2W2 starts to affect the metagame.

Team Building Process:

The UU RMT featured in Smog#20 is probably one of the most influential articles to this team. The team features a devastating choice specs attacker
(uU-(O++O)-Uu) and a Moxie choice scarf killer (Krookodile). Similarly, this team features an offensive core with Moxie Salamence and Magnezone. Unlike DPP, Salamence is one of the less used OU Pokemon in standard, not to mention I am running a choice scarf set. Magnezone is also running a choice specs set which can surprise others.

The idea is that Magnezone clears away opponent's steel-type Pokemon, then Salamence will have an easy time sweeping. However, with team preview, much luring is needed. Starmie is an excellent Ferrothorn lure which allows Magnezone to switch in with almost nothing to afraid of. Rapid Spin just helps Salamence with its SR weakness, but is good for teams that needs to switch frequently (i.e. most teams).

Nevertheless, with Salamence's sweeping potential, I cannot afford to switch in Salamence too many times (especially since it has no intimidate), meaning faster choice scarf users (i.e. Landorus) and Ice Shard can still screw it up, which makes Salamence particularly vulnerable if it chooses to use Outrage. Here I have included an offensive Cloyster and choice band Scizor, both of which have excellent synergy with Magnezone and Starmie. Scizor's Bullet Punch is incredible and Cloyster sweep is just amazing.

This team needs a round off using a defensive pivot. Bronzong seems to be the natural choice as it offers multiple resistances, and can set up dual screens to help Starmie getting the Rapid Spin needed without having to die, or just gives more time for Cloyster to Shell Smash.

Bronzong tends to accumulate damage easily though, so after testing I've decided that Latias would be a better defensive pivot for this team. Elemental resistances and Dragon STAB is still more fitting to my play style.

2-Drag-1-Mag Team

Summary of team:
1 Rapid Spinner (Starmie)
1 Dual Screen (Latias)
2 Wallbreakers (Cloyster, Magnezone)
2 Trappers (Magnezone, Scizor)
3 Revenge Killers (Scizor, Starmie, Salamence)
3 Sweepers (Salamence, Cloyster, Starmie)

Rate away!

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

As one of the best priority launchers in OU, Scizor provides imminent threat to offensive teams and heavy pressure to defensive teams. Bullet Punch should force switches, while U-turn gives me almost a free switch. This is especially useful should a Scizor counter switches in. For example, Skarmory can be dealt with by Magnezone, while the damage of U-turn allows me the scout Skarmory's item to make sure Magnet Pull works. Otherwise, Magnezone can utilise Volt Switch to allow the appropriate counter. For these reasons, Scizor is one of my usual leads. Pokemon faster than Choice Scarf Salamence are generally weak in terms of bulk, so Scizor should keep them in check well. I would go on and argue that U-turn is probably one of the most broken move in the game (better than Volt Switch since nothing is immune to bug type attacks aside from one), and its base power (70) is more than enough for Scizor to dent before anything sweeps. (It could be lower, then again, Scizor would make it even more broken with Technician). Pursuit should keep the rare scarf Gengar and Starmie dead, while Superpower is the best option against threats like Lucario, although to be honest I sparsely use these two moves.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon

Magnezone is one of the very few electric types that perfectly sits in the OU tier as of now; Thundurus is deemed uber, while Zapdos has yet to reclaim its fame from the DPP era. Volt Switch is basically profit as long as the opponent has electric immunity(ies). As bad as it is, and Volt Switch KO allows me to switch to another Pokemon so the other player cannnot take advantage of Magnezone being choice-locked. Specs Magnezone is most notable, however, for being able to be outstalled by Ferrothorn even in the rain, cleanly 2HKO Ferrothron with Hidden Power fire, which is one of the main reasons I've chosen this set. As for the those nasty ground types such as Gliscor and Landorus, a specs flash cannon is sure to blast them away, possibly KOing them, and is the best option against Tyranitar expecting a thunderbolt. Thunder is actually not used often because of the usual absence of rain, but it makes a really good check to rain teams and Thunder from Magnezone is nothing to laugh at.

Cloyster (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

Where should I begin? ... I've tried to get rid of Cloyster so many times, and I just couldn't be able to do it. Cloyster is able to dent a good chuck on any Pokemon (except for you, Pony, oh...) but if I'm lucky enough to get 2 SS then it's gg. Even with a smash though, this thing serves me well. With a combination of Focus Sash, Rapid Spin and Healing Wish, the opponent will have a hard time countering since the Cloyster counter may have already been weakened by the time Latias uses Healing Wish. Focus Sash can be used in the case where it is not activated early on, which suits better for my style than King's Rock as I find it not reliable. I am surprised by the usage of Donphan in OU, but Cloyster can just set up in its face nice and clean.

Latias (F) @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Healing Wish
- Dragon Pulse

Latias has nice synergy with Cloyster as Cloyster can take a hit or two from physical attacks such as Outrage and Crunch (especially with screens) that might be aimed at Latias and *0.25 resist ice attacks, so naturally Latias is able to yield the wish to Cloyster. If I must, Latias will become my status absorber; while neither burn nor toxic is enjoyable, it isn't significantly crippled by status. Furthermore, a strong Dragon Pulse gives the opportunity for Latias to revenge kill should it become necessary. Prediction is very important when it comes to which screen to set up (or both). I often find the screens more useful than Healing Wish, but in a pinch that will do. Latias' natural bulk, however, means that buying time for the other team players would usually be an easy job.

Starmie @ Expert Belt
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin

Starmie is almost always the preferred Pokemon to defeat Battle Towers even back in ADV, and for good reason. It has a solid special attacks stat coupled with amazing battle speed. I don't usually lead with Starmie, but as I mentioned before, Starmie is especially good at luring the common Ferrothorn. If I can do some damage on Ferrothorn I can scout for leftovers and decide the switch in: this would be either Magnezone or Scizor. Rain Dance is the gimmick of this set: however, in conjunction with Rapid Spin and Focus Sash on Cloyster, it is not hard to see why this is useful. I've always complained about how Game Freak did not produce a Pokemon with the ability to clear the weather, and all I got is "Sky Lock/Cloud Nine works". But it doesn't. At least not in OU. So for those people who wish to turn off the opponent's weather advantage, here's one of the best bets. Try Sunny Day Heatran, but it tends to get walled easily.

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

At last, we come to our buddy, the beloved Salamence. If the opponent mistaken this Salamence as the LO set, gg. Moxie always gives the opponent a rough time.
You may have noticed that I have chosen Brick Break over Flamethrower. This is because, first, it has poor offensive power in Starmie's rain, and second, Brick Break allows me to get through Blissey, Heatran, Ferrothorn in a pinch, often abusing the ability Moxie.

How this team works against others:
basically a setup-and-sweep team, not much is needed to explain; abusing one of the best Outrages in OU
Fast and Frail Pokemon taken care by Scizor after weakened, while except for SR and Cloyster the team generally doesn't mind entry hazards.

Problems I found when using this team:
- no entry hazards: it's a shame that Scizor and Starmie cause a lot of switches, no they can abuse entry hazards to ease Salamence's sweep.
- For some reason I seldom use Salamence in early/mid game when I think I should use Salamence more often
- Starmie has arguably less than decent coverage: should it run three attacks instead?
- This team is rather ineffective at dealing with volt-turn imo. Is there any way to help alleviate this problem?
- It's quite hard to find the right time to use Healing wish.
- teams with 3 or more steel-type Pokemon

Any other suggestions and criticisms are welcome too.

I think Salamence works better if he's Dragon Dancer (Lum Berry). I think you could consider the standard Dragon Dance Mence as it will be an excellent stall-breaker and late-game sweeper.

I think Salamence works better if he's Dragon Dancer (Lum Berry). I think you could consider the standard Dragon Dance Mence as it will be an excellent stall-breaker and late-game sweeper.
(I see what you did there, mostwanted)

The problem of implementing DDMence is that I would miss a revenge killer (with Choice scarf). Also, to abuse fully the ability Moxie, the immediate power of Outrage is needed imo, which is incompatible with DD (as of BW).

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Hey,

This team looks pretty decent, but it has some problems (as you have noticed) with Volturn teams. Since Latias doesn't seem very necessary for this team, you could try to replace it with Celebi. Celebi can switch on Rotom-W and beat it with its Grass STAB moves while being able to kill Scizor (too) with Hidden Power Fire. It's able to provide Stealth Rock support, too. Here's the set:

Celebi@Leftovers | Natural Cure
Modest Nature | 232 HP / 240 SpA / 36 Spe
Leaf Storm / Hidden Power Fire / Recover / Stealth Rock

Another thing you might consider is running Stone Edge over Brick Break on Salamence, as your team looks a bit Gyarados and Volcarona weak, and that would allow you to beat them without having to lock Salamence on Outrage.

Good luck!

Hey,

This team looks pretty decent, but it has some problems (as you have noticed) with Volturn teams. Since Latias doesn't seem very necessary for this team, you could try to replace it with Celebi. Celebi can switch on Rotom-W and beat it with its Grass STAB moves while being able to kill Scizor (too) with Hidden Power Fire. It's able to provide Stealth Rock support, too. Here's the set:

Celebi@Leftovers | Natural Cure
Modest Nature | 232 HP / 240 SpA / 36 Spe
Leaf Storm / Hidden Power Fire / Recover / Stealth Rock
This seems to be a good one, although isn't Celebi weak to U-turn? Besides I've tried this Celebi on another team and I found that the special attack drop from Lead Storm is very annoying, so are Grass Knot/Energy Ball acceptable alternatives?
Another thing you might consider is running Stone Edge over Brick Break on Salamence, as your team looks a bit Gyarados and Volcarona weak, and that would allow you to beat them without having to lock Salamence on Outrage.
I do tend to prefer higher accuracies moves, but rock slide doesn't have enough power against Gyarados, does it? Otherwise I'll stick to Outrage + BB
Good luck!
Thank you!

I've never actually tried this, but what if you were to replace mence with latios? I know that there's major type over lap, but scarf latios is much faster than mence....

Just an idea though, good team anyway

I've never actually tried this, but what if you were to replace mence with latios? I know that there's major type over lap, but scarf latios is much faster than mence....

Just an idea though, good team anyway
I have already emphasised that Salamence is a rare choice scarf user in that it can actually sweep teams using the ability Moxie. And Salamence is a key sweeper in this team.

Hi there!

This is a very interesting team you have here. Magnezone trapping Ferrothorn and Forretress that hope to wall your sweepers, once they are removed you have a music easier time trying to pull of a sweep. I disagree with DestinyUnknown, I think Latias serves a very vital role on your team. It definitely helps you check offensive Rain and Sun teams, being able to take a couple hits with relative ease due to Latias's typing and superb bulk. However, I think your set is a little inefficient, however effective Healing Wish may be, it's incredibly situational. Your current Latias set also means that you give a free turn or two of setup to CM Jirachi, SD Scizor, Ferrothorn and a lot of other Steels who resist Latias's only attacking move. To remedy this, I think you should run a Calm Mind Latias over your current set. Calm Mind Latias does a number of things for your team. It obviously increases Latias's survivability which is very beneficial to your team, considering that you're pretty weak to VoltTurn teams,, considering Latias can take on Rotom and Scizor very well with Hidden Power [Fire]. Latias's great bulk means it can easily find free opportunities to set up a Calm Mind against defensive threats.

You also mentioned that you didn't like how your team can't handle teams with a lot of Steel types. One suggestion that could make that a little bit easier is changing your Magnezone's set a little. I feel a Substitute + 3 Attacks variant would cover a lot of the problems your team has. Although you lose the immediate power with Choice Specs, you are able to set up on many defensive Steels, that you previously mentioned were annoying for your team to face. This gives Magnezone a little more longevity, which is especially helpful because once all the Steel types are gone, not a lot wants to switch into a Salamence's Outrage.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)