Gliscor

Bulky set-up sweeper Gliscor is alive and well.

40 HP IV's give it an odd HP value (301 to be exact) for periodic healing via Poison Heal, max speed and jolly nature EV's allow it to outspeed everything below base speed 109 with a neutral nature.
The rest of the EV's go to defense giving it nice bulk allowing it to take a hit or two while Swords Dancing, roost off the damage and then sweep.

Moveset of SD/Roost/EQ/Aqua Tail would give decent coverage.

40 HP IV's give it an odd HP value (301 to be exact) for periodic healing via Poison Heal, max speed and jolly nature EV's allow it to outspeed everything below base speed 109 with a neutral nature.
The rest of the EV's go to defense giving it nice bulk allowing it to take a hit or two while Swords Dancing, roost off the damage and then sweep.

It's a bit like NP Celebi: Two attacks, boosting move, recovery are the same, but it's also immune to status and has better move coverage. It's just a tad weaker.

Also, a set of Roost, Stealth Rock, EQ, and either Toxic or Sub could be a great physical wall for Stall teams. Gliscor is great on Stall as is. Now, it can set hazards and heal up to 5/8 of its health in one turn while potentially spreading Toxic to the opponent's sweepers. Tutors made this thing much better.

Still haven't seen any roost Scors as of yet. Most people are rather enjoying the new actual threats... Relatively everyone will still opt for Protect as it allows scouting and such.

Still haven't seen any roost Scors as of yet. Most people are rather enjoying the new actual threats... Relatively everyone will still opt for Protect as it allows scouting and such.
True, but it's still there. I never thought Roost would immediately take over Protect: it guarantees TO activation and, as you said, is very useful for scouting. It'll trickle its way into sets, probably Bulky Offense if need be.

Just wondering, but dont you mean EV ?

with gliscor now able to get s.rock with DW, will defensive gliscor come back?
I've been using one to good success, and I've been seeing a wide variety of mostly defensive Gliscor around. My set of choice is:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Roost
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Taunt

Sets up Stealth Rock, and with Roost combined with Poison Heal, it's ridiculously sturdy. Taunt is always great; it hurts having a complete lack of ability to touch anything in the air, but I've found it to be worth it.

Definitely, he gets rocks up so easily on so many things. And he gets u turn as well. He is such a versatile pokemon. Roost + poison heal is so good. I think uturn, stealth rock, eq, roost on defensive gliscor could be a staple on semi stall/stall teams. He just never dies.

U-Turn isn't worth it. It really doesn't make sense on a defensive Pokemon, and Gliscor needs that slot for other stuff - either Taunt or Ice Fang, most likely.

I guess I should try Gliscor with Ice Fang over Taunt at some point.

Defensive Gliscor never left lol It has been in the top ten consistently for as long as I have known.

I have been playing with Gliscor a lot recently and I have found the best set is actually the classic Britscor set with Poison Heal over Sand Veil. It still can beat conkeldurr (lacking Ice Punch) and it can still break stall. To those who say that without Ice Fang Gliscor can not touch Skarmory, how does Skarmory touch Gliscor? It can't and it will be PP stalled out of Brave Birds :) I always find the problem with TauntSD Gliscor that chip attacks, such as Brave Bird, would take its toll on it since Poison Heal wouldn't heal fast enough. This is mitigated by Roost now. The classic:

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost

Taunt is the crux of Britscor, making stuff it very easy to break stall and prevent set up of any kind. STAB EQ is always nice and lets you chip at stuff without recovery (also prevents Taunt bait). If you got a defensive wall, use Toxic to break it down turn by turn. Toxic is pretty much this sets main form of damage, but it Toxic stalls very well. Roost means that Gliscor can laugh at chip damage and aids in Toxic stalling.

Of course since this is gen 5 we have to give a modern twist to Britscor. Poison Heal aids in that Toxic stalling even more, but more importantly gives you a status immunity. The EV's and nature means you can still wall stuff, such as Conkeldurr and Toxicroack. The speed EV's mean you can speed creep other Gliscor and Sp. Def Jirachi to kill with EQ or Taunt so it doesn't undo any damage you have done while retaining the extra defensive point. If you want more speed, take 8 EV's out of HP so you retain that defense point.

Ah ha I knew that was an actual set, I was seeing taunt + toxic way to much for it to have come out of no where. I have HP ice forretress just for that little fucker, have for months. Its not common, but people do use it.

U-Turn isn't worth it. It really doesn't make sense on a defensive Pokemon, and Gliscor needs that slot for other stuff - either Taunt or Ice Fang, most likely.

I guess I should try Gliscor with Ice Fang over Taunt at some point.
It depends, sometimes you WANT to tank a hit with a slow U-turner so that you can get another mon in freely.

It depends, sometimes you WANT to tank a hit with a slow U-turner so that you can get another mon in freely.
A slow, sturdy U-Turn user is great to have; I almost always use Scizor for this reason. But a dedicated wall isn't the place for it; Gliscor has other things it needs to do.

A slow, sturdy U-Turn user is great to have; I almost always use Scizor for this reason. But a dedicated wall isn't the place for it; Gliscor has other things it needs to do.
Actually, it lures in Skarm / Bulky Waters / Tornadus so with Rotom-W it can be a psuedo-Volturn. Taunt / Roost / EQ / U-Turn would work better on a balance team over the Toxic varient to keep momentum. A dedicated wall should use any tools it has to keep momentum if it has any. For example, Volturn Forretress and U-Turn SpD Jirachi.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
Gliscor is one of the only two pokemon I see that can get banned at this point with Poisen Heal/Protect/Roost. He is just such a good wall and the only physical pokemon I have seen get past him are Breloom and Conkeldurr. I see Gliscor topping usage lists within the next 6 months, along with Keldeo, Technichican Breloom, Imposter Ditto, and Tornadus T.
My Gliscor.

Impish
252 HP, 184 Des, 68 Spe
Ice Fang
EQ
Protect
Roost

Oddly enough, I haven't even seen a handful of Gliscors as of late. Probably because the metagame is very offensive and specially based right now.

If anything, I would much rather have Stealth rock over roost, because there are a bunch of choiced pokemon around right now so protect is really useful.

Gliscor is one of the only two pokemon I see that can get banned at this point with Poisen Heal/Protect/Roost. He is just such a good wall and the only physical pokemon I have seen get past him are Breloom and Conkeldurr. I see Gliscor topping usage lists within the next 6 months, along with Keldeo, Technichican Breloom, Imposter Ditto, and Tornadus T.
My Gliscor.

Impish
252 HP, 184 Des, 68 Spe
Ice Fang
EQ
Protect
Roost
So get through him with methods other than physical attacks? He's a top threat, but I've never felt he was overwhelming.

In the changing meta-game I think it's possible that Gliscor's usage may go down. First of all the amout of rain teams will render him useless in bulky forms and the flight gem set will probably only get to attack once before dying. Breloom being able to OHKO at +2 after rocks is going to make Gliscor having a flying move necessary out of rain. With all of the power that is available and all of the Hp ice/ hurricane genes running around I don't think Gliscor will get much room to breathe.

These factors alone are making him harder to use, but the amount of great Pokemon that now have access to Ice Punch will make Gliscor's usage go very far down in my opinion. Already I've only seen about 3 Gliscors while playing on PO in the first two days of B2W2. None of them caused much damage and the only flight gem Gliscor I faced couldn't even get up a sub vs my rain team.

Soon Ice beam Genesect will probably insure Gliscor's rapid drop maybe even out of OU. With everyone happy about Intimidate Landorus T, who is still carrying hp ice, Gliscor isn't even going to be as effective with good predicts. Sub sets are going to become more common too considering all of the speed and power that was recently released. So Toxic Gliscor's are definitely going to get the boot.

I like Gliscor, but with all of the changes how could he possibly survive effectively?

I like Gliscor, but with all of the changes how could he possibly survive effectively?
Starts with a T.

Anyway, I am giving the meta another week because by that point people should be past testing stuff on PS! and start building some teams. The usage of rain offense is ridiculous and I don't see it dropping anytime soon. However Gliscor dropping out of OU? No.

Alright Ice Punch became a move tutor. Do you know the things that Gliscor walls that got Ice Punch now to get past it? One. That is correct only Conkeldurr received Ice Punch as a new move. But you know what, it is rarely going to see use outside of CB and Guts, which aren't used much, because it doesn't have the coverage of Payback and Stone Edge. Lucario and Toxicroack had Ice Punch before so that doesn't count.

You have to take into account what actually got Ice Punch and see if those Pokemon are even going to use it. So far, and probably continuing into the future, that Ice Punch tutor isn't very significant to Gliscor's usage at all.

BTW Ice Fang has a very good chance to 2HKO Wolfrus on the switch with Stealth Rock. That is the same amount of times you would use Ice Fang against normal Landorus with SR down.

Roost gives Gliscor an extreme case of 4 move slot syndrome. While Roost is awesome and basically guarantees a max of 62.5% health back in one turn, Roost means that it looses out on a slot to something else that could be beneficial. Let's look at the Toxic Stall set. Where would Roost fit in on there? Sub + Protect is great for PP Stalling, although Gliscor doesn't gain any HP back from it, while it can't really get rid of EQ for Roost, cause then it's extreme Taunt Bait.

Protect is awesome on Poison Heal Gliscor because not only does it guarantee a turn of Poison Heal, it's also incredible for scouting Choiced Pokemon like Latios, Landorus, Rotom, etc.

Gliscor also needs to figure out what it's going to do about Breloom. I'm sure the speed for Gliscor is going to increase in order to outspeed Adamant Breloom, and Gliscor needs to consider a move like Aerial Ace in its general arsenal.

I personally think that Gliscor is going to be worse for a while until people figure out the right combination of moves for it.

Ive seen the term wolfwrus thrown around a lot, do you mean Landorus-T? Why "Wolfrus?"

Ive actually yet to make a team with Gliscor, I am sure I will at some time though, at the moment I need other pokemon.

Edt: Of course protect is better on the toxic stall, but the defensive set for example I know for a fact would love to have roost, I can't tell you how many times with the old defensive set I needed to get back over 50% but just couldn't because passively healing with poison heal isn't enough some times, even with protect.

Impish
252 HP, 184 Des, 68 Spe
Ice Fang
EQ
Protect
Roost

This sets just asking for a ice beam user to come in. Not exactly broken just annoying like all Gliscors are.

Only way it could threaten something is with swords dance and then it will lose coverage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)