Not open for further replies.
@

Bold
252 HP, 228 Def, 28 Speed
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Recover
-Refresh

This Latias is a fantastic counter to rain. It's invested fully in physical bulk (Other than 28 speed in order to creep other base 110s), so that it can tank physical hits better. Latias starts with base 130 SpDef, so after a few calm minds, no special hits will take it down I assure you. Where this set differs from the standard is refresh. It seems everyone's answer to Latias is status, whether it be toxic or paralysis, and refresh keeps Latias healthy so it can keep boosting/recovering/firing off huge Dragon Pulses. I have been using this to much success, just look out for T-Tars and Scizors.

As the metagame has become much more like the DW metagame, primarily much more offensive, and therefore I present to you a very anti-metagame pokemon at their time:

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet
Magic Guard
192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball

This is becoming much better because people are going to Mamoswine and Breloom from Scizor

As the metagame has become much more like the DW metagame, primarily much more offensive, and therefore I present to you a very anti-metagame pokemon at their time:

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet
Magic Guard
192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball

This is becoming much better because people are going to Mamoswine and Breloom from Scizor
I completely forgot about this, good idea. The surge of Blisseys, Chanseys and Jirachi's brought in to check the new special rain powerhouses will make it tough for Reuniclus, though.

By the way, what's the reason behind the somewhat unusual split in defensive EV's?

Expert Belt Abomasnow is the best set at the moment. Made it up to #5 with a Hail team mainly because Snow 2HKO's every member of the standard Rain team, walls the Water types, and does 65%+ to Tornadus and Thundurus with Ice Shard. Still nice against Sand teams because between Wood Hammer and Earthquake you can still do a lot of damage.

SubCM raikou is my new favorite Pokemon in OU right now.

Raikou@lefties
Pressure (volt absorb when released)
128 HP/76 Def/52 SpA/252 Spe Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Thunderbolt (thunder in rain? Kind of unreliable though)
-HP Ice

This Raikou can set up on the likes of standard Jirachi, Tornadus-T, Thundurus-T, most bulky waters, Roserade, Amoonguss, and a bunch of other random things. Base 115 speed lets you get the jump on most of OU, so you can revenge things like Landorus and Lati@s. I just love this set because it has lots of early game utility, sets up on a lot of threats, and can steamroll teams after you get rid of a counter or 2 and you get a couple boosts going. I use alongside Breloom to beat Gastro/Quagsire and walls like Blissey, Ferro, and Tyranitar.

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Timid
Drizzle
4 hp / 252 SpA / 252 spe
-Hydro Pump
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast / HP Grass / Perish Song

Scarf Politoed is pretty awesome in the current BW2 metagame. It's fast, it hits hard and has high enough base defenses to at least take pretty much any unboosted move in the game. These qualities add to create a very reliable Pokemon to have on fast paced rain teams. It's effective at revenge killing most of the metagame, including the new genie forms. Try it out, I guarantee that it won't disappoint.
I do not see why using Surf and Hydropump... Surf has more than enaugh power do deal alot of Dmg in Rain and is more accurate + more PP. (If there are some Mon's Surf wouldn't 1H or 2HKO but Hydropump would, please list them).
Otherwise I would remove Hydropump for HP-Grass...

Sandslash @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

This is one of the best revenge killers to use with Sandslash's new ability: Sand Rush. Despite his pathetic speed of 65, in sand he outspeeds everything in OU slower than base 108 scarfers and Scarfed Latios. In addition to speed equal to Deoxys-S, he also has a usable attack stat of 100, STAB Earthquake, and Rapid Spin. No longer does offensive rapid spinning fall onto only Starmie; Sandslash is way faster and can set up Swords Dance. He also has incredible natural physical bulk, at 75/110. This means he can take a blow or two without any investment and he won't die. Starmie has nothing near that kind of bulk, and thus leftovers is far more viable on Sandslash.

The drawbacks are that he isn't THAT strong in the end, and while hes almost as fast as Choice Scarf Terrakion, he isn't quite as powerful. The pros are that he can switch up moves, and importantly he is one of two offensive rapid spinners that are usable in OU. That alone gives him a massive niche for sandstorm teams that want more offense but also a way to deal with entry hazards.

Blastoise @Choice Scarf
Trait: Rain Dish/Torrent (Rain Dish in rain otherwise Torrent)
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric

My favorite set for Blastoise. I have used in Sand and Rain teams. It catches people off guard because no one sees it coming. Surf for STAB, Rapid Spin for utility and Ice Beam + HP Elec for Pseudo BoltBeam. Blastoise is already bulky so switching is not an issue.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Blastoise @Choice Scarf
Trait: Rain Dish/Torrent (Rain Dish in rain otherwise Torrent)
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric

My favorite set for Blastoise. I have used in Sand and Rain teams. It catches people off guard because no one sees it coming. Surf for STAB, Rapid Spin for utility and Ice Beam + HP Elec for Pseudo BoltBeam. Blastoise is already bulky so switching is not an issue.
You know he gets Water Spout right?

One issue. Last I checked, Water Spout can't be used with Rain Dish. In non-Weather sure but otherwise no unless you want to get up a built in Leftovers.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I do not see why using Surf and Hydropump... Surf has more than enaugh power do deal alot of Dmg in Rain and is more accurate + more PP. (If there are some Mon's Surf wouldn't 1H or 2HKO but Hydropump would, please list them).
Otherwise I would remove Hydropump for HP-Grass...
There are times where you need Hydro Pumps absurd power to OHKO a threat that would otherwise would be extremely difficult for your team to deal with. Surf is absolutely strong in the rain, but it doesn't have Hydro Pumps killing power. For example:

Surf vs Tornadus-T: 65.6% - 77.6%
Hydro Pump vs Tornadus-T: 82.6% - 97.7%

Surf doesn't come close to OHKOing Tornadus-T, even with SR most of the time. Hydro Pump on the other hand always OHKOes Tornadus-T after SR.

Hydro Pump's increased power is also useful against standard DD Dragonite (who takes a whopping 35.3% - 41.8% from Hydro Pump) and is outsped after a DD if it's Adamant natured. It doesn't sound impressive on paper, but when you take into account SR, and prior damage (and the fact thats its DD Dragonite!) It's great that you can deal 70% on average against DDnite if you land those 2 Hydro Pumps.

Another case of Hydro Pump being useful is against Rotom-W (it eats 39.6% - 46.5% from Hydro Pump). That said, Hydro Pump is unreliable due to its shaky accuracy, and there are times where you need that guaranteed surf in order to win, and that's why I opt to use both of those moves on the same set.

Politoed's other moves aren't seeing much use anyway, so its not that big of a deal if you miss out on HP grass or w/e.

There are times where you need Hydro Pumps absurd power to OHKO a threat that would otherwise would be extremely difficult for your team to deal with. Surf is absolutely strong in the rain, but it doesn't have Hydro Pumps killing power. For example:

Surf vs Tornadus-T: 65.6% - 77.6%
Hydro Pump vs Tornadus-T: 82.6% - 97.7%

Surf doesn't come close to OHKOing Tornadus-T, even with SR most of the time. Hydro Pump on the other hand always OHKOes Tornadus-T after SR.

Hydro Pump's increased power is also useful against standard DD Dragonite (who takes a whopping 35.3% - 41.8% from Hydro Pump) and is outsped after a DD if it's Adamant natured. It doesn't sound impressive on paper, but when you take into account SR, and prior damage (and the fact thats its DD Dragonite!) It's great that you can deal 70% on average against DDnite if you land those 2 Hydro Pumps.

Another case of Hydro Pump being useful is against Rotom-W (it eats 39.6% - 46.5% from Hydro Pump). That said, Hydro Pump is unreliable due to its shaky accuracy, and there are times where you need that guaranteed surf in order to win, and that's why I opt to use both of those moves on the same set.

Politoed's other moves aren't seeing much use anyway, so its not that big of a deal if you miss out on HP grass or w/e.
Allright, I'll get your point :)
Thank you very much for your explanation!
Maybe I'll try this one one time, because I'm running a Rain-Team atm...

@

Bold
252 HP, 228 Def, 28 Speed
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Recover
-Refresh

This Latias is a fantastic counter to rain. It's invested fully in physical bulk (Other than 28 speed in order to creep other base 110s), so that it can tank physical hits better. Latias starts with base 130 SpDef, so after a few calm minds, no special hits will take it down I assure you. Where this set differs from the standard is refresh. It seems everyone's answer to Latias is status, whether it be toxic or paralysis, and refresh keeps Latias healthy so it can keep boosting/recovering/firing off huge Dragon Pulses. I have been using this to much success, just look out for T-Tars and Scizors.
I used once a very similar set on latias (with even the same EVs and nature *lol*)
There's only one difference in its moveslot. I used Sub insteed of Refresh.
Nice set btw! :)

I use SubCM Raikou to great effect. However, unaware specially defensive quagsire walls it into oblivion while stockpiling.

@PK Gaming

Do you think that being able to outspeed Tornadus-T and friends is worth the power loss by running Timid over Modest? Running Modest Politoed myself, I find that I'm barely able to 2HKO some of the more bulkier Pokémon like Reuniclus and whatnot that could otherwise give my team trouble. I'd surely appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been using Timid on Scarf Politoed for a good year now, and Timid lets you make the most use out of Scarf, being able to revenge more mons, including Tornadus, weakened Starmie, and +1 Adamant Dragonite. Scarf Toed's Hydro Pump does 61-72% to max HP Reuniclus, so it's a solid 2HKO, unless Reuniclus Calm Minds on the first Hydro Pump.

I've been using Timid on Scarf Politoed for a good year now, and Timid lets you make the most use out of Scarf, being able to revenge more mons, including Tornadus, weakened Starmie, and +1 Adamant Dragonite. Scarf Toed's Hydro Pump does 61-72% to max HP Reuniclus, so it's a solid 2HKO, unless Reuniclus Calm Minds on the first Hydro Pump.
Ahh. Thanks for the input. I'll make sure to give it a try just to have extra insurance against Tornadus-T and other base 115+ Speed Pokémon in case my Mamoswine and Scarf Terrakion go down. Ultimately though, I think the choice between running Timid and Modest just comes down to which advantage between higher power or better revenge killing ability suits your team more don't you think?

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Revenge killing has priority over powering through threats (which Politoed can do perfectly with double boosted Water-type moves), and since Tornadus-T is such a huge threat, the Timid nature is well worth it, period. All that matters in these types of cases is outspeeding and killing, which is why neutral natures are not a well-supported options on certain Choice Scarf users, specifically Latios, Landorus, and Tyranitar.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, seeing how you have another Scarfer and Mamoswine to check Dragonite / Tornadus, then Timid on Scarf Toed is less mandatory, so you're right, Flashstorm.

Why would you Scarf Politoed in the first place? I would go with an offensive Politoed or SpecsToed if firepower is what you're looking for :o

Well, seeing how you have another Scarfer and Mamoswine to check Dragonite / Tornadus, then Timid on Scarf Toed is less mandatory, so you're right, Flashstorm.

Why would you Scarf Politoed in the first place? I would go with an offensive Politoed or SpecsToed if firepower is what you're looking for :o
My original thought process was that my team would benefit more from outspeeding threats rather than dealing raw power, especially with the new sweepers running around that don't give my offensive team much switch-in opportunities.

But yeah, I think I'll go ahead and start running a Timid nature on Politoed simply because Tornadus-T is a serious threat to my team.

Pocket

Unless you need Terrakion to revenge-kill Gyarados / Volcarona, you will probably get more out of it by running CB or Sub Terrakion @ LO / Salac. Having 2 Scarf-locked mons are not desirable, imo (generally speaking).

Unless you need Terrakion to revenge-kill Gyarados / Volcarona, you will probably get more out of it by running CB or Sub Terrakion @ LO / Salac. Having 2 Scarf-locked mons are not desirable, imo (generally speaking).
Heh yeah. I was running Life Orb before and was not too impressed, but maybe that's because I wasn't running Swords Dance along with it. Plus, I kept running into too many Gliscor, so my opinion of the previous set I was running decreased even more.

I'll give the Substitute + Salac Berry set a try, if only because I like bluffing Choice items and the set otherwise provides me with more general late game sweeping utility. Plus, Scizor seems to be amazingly nonexistant in this new metagame.

for a while i experimented with moxie gyarados. dd/ bounce/ waterfall/ taunt works really well and has a niche for being able to always beat celebi one on one. it also uses defensive pokemon as set up bait (those that can only hope to status gyara or phaze him) with taunt.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Moxie
Adamant
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 6 HP
-Dragon Dance
-Bounce
-Taunt
-Waterfall

unprepared teams are cleaned up nicely by this. lefties > LO for survivability, the extra power will not be missed after a moxie boost.

Focus sash terrakion lead!
Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Justified
Adamant
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/4 Hp
-Close Combat
-Stone edge
-Quick attack
-Hidden Power[ICE]

This set is a beast, people will think everything about the terrakion, that it is choiced, LO, set up even expert belt. But not sashed. It destroys most leads and switch ins. People tend to throw in scarfers to "out speed" and kill you, meanwhile you live the hit and just counter smash their revenger. It is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)