Programming PPRNG (Mac & iOS)

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
How do I calibrate my game using PPRNG? I am trying to RNG for Soulsilver, but I am only familiar with RNG for 5th gen.
These days most people don't worry too much about the calibration step for 4th Gen because they just use a timer like ZomgTimer. However, if you want to calibrate you should be able to use the Gen 4 Seed Searcher and just set it to search with a delay from 400 to 800 or 1000. You would normally find your seed with a low frame number in the J column (between 1 and 5).

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi I've used PPRNG for going on a year now, and so far it's been a great tool and helped me to RNG many Pokemon, fairly easily. However, RNGing my wondercard Victini is giving me a serious headache, and the RNG guide doesn't really help. If some of my questions are obvious or irrelevant, I apologize in advance, I'm just going to ask everything I have a question about to try and figure this out.

Edit2: the new bearsfan videos are answering a lot of my questions, I guess I'll try again and go for edit 3 if I'm still having trouble.

The fabled edit3: So I've having the same problem I've had for the past few months still. I'm hitting a flawless stat spread, but my nature is wrong for some reason. Probably a user error, but I don't know where I'm going wrong. I guess I can bring this to the RNG help thread if this really isn't the place.

Thanks for any help!

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
PPRNG 1.12.0 has been released. Please see the first post for details and download links.

I guess I can bring this to the RNG help thread if this really isn't the place.
This is the place to report PPRNG bugs, but it sounds like you are just having issues with a particular RNG abuse that you are trying to do, so the RNG help thread would be a better source. It's also good to post screenshots of your searcher and inspector to show how you have configured things.

Congratulations for the new version in very few days :)!!
I'm waiting for my Japanese Black 2 and RNGize everything possible!

sorry if this has already been asked:

is there a more detailed guide than the default smogon rng guide to using PPRNG for id abuse? i just received bw2, plan to play on my ds lite, but since i can't catch pokemon etc., i'm not sure how to calibrate, find my start frame, or even just conduct search for an id i want given that they all seem dependent on timer0.

i read the first page of posts and the smogon guides, and i vaguely remember doing something for shiny starters for bw years ago, but now the game is different, and i don't care about shinyness anymore, plus i've migrated from rng reporter to PPRNG. it's a great program, just a bit difficult at the moment to understand for trainer id abuse.

thanks in advance

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
sorry if this has already been asked:

is there a more detailed guide than the default smogon rng guide to using PPRNG for id abuse? i just received bw2, plan to play on my ds lite, but since i can't catch pokemon etc., i'm not sure how to calibrate, find my start frame, or even just conduct search for an id i want given that they all seem dependent on timer0.

i read the first page of posts and the smogon guides, and i vaguely remember doing something for shiny starters for bw years ago, but now the game is different, and i don't care about shinyness anymore, plus i've migrated from rng reporter to PPRNG. it's a great program, just a bit difficult at the moment to understand for trainer id abuse.

thanks in advance
PPRNG lacks two functionalities that RNG Reporter has when it comes to ID abuse: the ability to simply search for a specific ID, and the function that calculates the initial frame for trainer IDs (may be coming in a future release).

PPRNG requires you to input a seed which has IVs that you want, choose the PID frame that you would like to be shiny, and then you can specify an ID. If you really don't care about IVs / PID, you can just input 0 as the seed and choose any frame. However, if you're going through the hassle of abusing your ID, you might as well take the extra time to find a seed with good IVs and a nature that you like so you can use it later.

Regardless, once you've selected a frame in the upper half of the searcher, you can search for an ID in the lower half. You should leave both Wild and Gift check boxes checked if you care at all about shininess. Run the search and pick a result that you like (for held buttons, start time / date, etc.).

After that, hit your seed, start the game, input your name without saying 'No' and proceed until you can check your Trainer ID. Go to the ID Frame Search tab in the Trainer ID Searcher window and put in the details of the time you started the game, plus the ID that you hit, and it should tell you which seed you hit and what frame that initial TID is on. Repeat until you get the seed you're aiming for.

Now that you know the starting frame, you can subtract it from your target frame number to know the number of times you need to say 'No' at naming time. Restart, enter your name and say 'No' the correct number of times, and if you hit your seed, you will have the ID you are aiming for.

For parameters, the best thing to do is to start the game and play through the first gym, after which the GTS opens. Then you can calibrate your parameters by uploading to something like pokecheck to get exact IVs.

For the JP games, the parameters seem to be fixed at:
VCount: 82
VFrame: (whatever your vframe is on Black / White, probably)
Timer0:
Black 2: 1104 - 1107 (plus some extra that I haven't verified yet)
White 2: 10F6 - 10FB

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Great program, and good to see someone working for mac users out there. Really appreciated.

A very minor feature request, and this could just be me (if it is, or is already there and I'm an idiot, please forgive me):
Would it be easy to allow resizing of the columns in any of the search / adjacent windows? When the frame's over 1000 I get 1... , and can't expand it to see what number I might've hit for adjacent's.

For parameters, the best thing to do is to start the game and play through the first gym, after which the GTS opens. Then you can calibrate your parameters by uploading to something like pokecheck to get exact IVs.

Timer0:
are the parameters necessary for calibration fixed for a given mac address (DS unit), or DS unit/cartridge pair? if it's the console, then can i just calibrate those parameters on black/white 1 and reuse in bw2?

regarding the rest of your helpful response -- it answers my question, but if i'm not at all particular or picky about which buttons to press, what date & time to start my game, or what ivs i can get... just that it's a cool & somewhat easily memorizable digit sequence (like my birthday, or all zeros) with one or a few low-frame shiny seeds, then what should i do to keep all the other parameters like button requirements from restricting my search?

thanks again for your diligence! :)

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Would it be easy to allow resizing of the columns in any of the search / adjacent windows? When the frame's over 1000 I get 1... , and can't expand it to see what number I might've hit for adjacent's.
Yes, I can change that. I originally made everything fixed width with the idea that it would look 'nicer', however everyone has different fonts, etc., which makes fixed width fail in annoying ways such as what you mentioned. Could you tell me which window(s) in particular gives the problem above?

are the parameters necessary for calibration fixed for a given mac address (DS unit), or DS unit/cartridge pair? if it's the console, then can i just calibrate those parameters on black/white 1 and reuse in bw2?
Parameters for Black / White are different than for Black 2 / White 2, except for (maybe) vframe, so calibrating on Black / White doesn't do much for you.

regarding the rest of your helpful response -- it answers my question, but if i'm not at all particular or picky about which buttons to press, what date & time to start my game, or what ivs i can get... just that it's a cool & somewhat easily memorizable digit sequence (like my birthday, or all zeros) with one or a few low-frame shiny seeds, then what should i do to keep all the other parameters like button requirements from restricting my search?
In PPRNG, you can't search just for shinies without searching for IVs, unfortunately. But pretty much every ID / SID combo has a ton of shinies available, particularly if you make use of Cute Charm, so you can just do what I said about using the seed of 0 to pick a frame in the upper half of the search screen.

To get the most results without caring about shinines, after putting 0 for the seed clicking 'Generate', and selecting any of the rows that appear, set the search parameters in the bottom section as follows. Type in your desired ID, check all the button boxes, uncheck the Wild, Gift, and Egg boxes, and just run a search over a couple days. You should find plenty of results.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yes, I can change that. I originally made everything fixed width with the idea that it would look 'nicer', however everyone has different fonts, etc., which makes fixed width fail in annoying ways such as what you mentioned. Could you tell me which window(s) in particular gives the problem above?
In particular, it was the Standard Seed Inspector window, on the Adjacents tab, the "Frm" column.

I just did a quick scan through all of the other windows and the only other one that had the same issue was the Wondercard Seed Inspector window, Adjacents tab, "Frm" column.

Thank you for very speedy response, I'm sure it's been said before, but your work really is greatly appreciated!

Hi a new member here, I've used PPRNG for over a year with a lot of success. Today I was trying to RNG SandVeil Gliscor in Route 11 but for some reason the PIDRNG spreadsheet was way off. I've always managed to hit my seed, then as usual I calibrated the wandering NPC frame. However as I did my chatot calls I didn't get the pokemon I wanted on the spreadsheet at all. Its really weird, its always a bit off but in a random manner. Like for example if I need to do 30 frame advancement from chatot I'll get 36 instead and if I then did 24 frame advancement I got 28 instead. Initially I thought that the wandering NPC calibration was off however I managed to consistently hit the wrong seed everytime. Did anyone else have this problem? I haven't RNG'd for a couple of weeks and I think the spreadsheet from the current PPRNG might be off

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Hi a new member here, I've used PPRNG for over a year with a lot of success. Today I was trying to RNG SandVeil Gliscor in Route 11 but for some reason the PIDRNG spreadsheet was way off. I've always managed to hit my seed, then as usual I calibrated the wandering NPC frame. However as I did my chatot calls I didn't get the pokemon I wanted on the spreadsheet at all. Its really weird, its always a bit off but in a random manner. Like for example if I need to do 30 frame advancement from chatot I'll get 36 instead and if I then did 24 frame advancement I got 28 instead. Initially I thought that the wandering NPC calibration was off however I managed to consistently hit the wrong seed everytime. Did anyone else have this problem? I haven't RNG'd for a couple of weeks and I think the spreadsheet from the current PPRNG might be off
You're going to need to post actual details (at minimum the seed). But, I suspect you just have wandering NPC issues. They can move between the time that you close the menu and the time that you talk to the egg guy, and when you advance to different frames they may move differently. Try starting your game, waiting a second, and resaving to get the NPCs into a different position.

Timer0:
thanks again! just two questions about the above:

1. do the results of calibration hold even when switching game cards? like, i can definitely use the same ds, but if i beat the first gym in black 2, can i assume the same parameters when calibrating for a new game in white 2 (same system with same mac address, just different game card), or, if not, another black 2 cartridge? i want to try to avoid restarting if possible, and play all the way through once i do start.

i guess a simpler way to ask this question is, what kinds of hardware/physical switches do not change calibrated parameters:
game card (b2 -> another b2 on same ds)?
game color (b2 -> w2)?
save file (beat 1st gym, start anew on same card in same ds)?
the only one obvious to me is the system/ds itself with its unique serial & mac address.

2. i'm not quite sure what you mean by uploading to pokecheck. is that some official player/bot that conducts iv checks on low-level pokemon? i wasn't aware there were non-humans on gts...

thanks again,

ferr

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
1. do the results of calibration hold even when switching game cards?
A calibration is good for one DS / game card combination, and doesn't change when restarting the game. A different game card of the same version is likely to have the same parameters on the same DS, but no guarantees. The other game version (as well as other language versions, when they are released) will definitely have different parameters.

2. i'm not quite sure what you mean by uploading to pokecheck
Google and/or forum search are your friends.

Excuse me but I have the same problem with the PID..
The IVframe is amost always correct, but sometimes I found natures not available in the near PIDs.

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Excuse me but I have the same problem with the PID..
The IVframe is amost always correct, but sometimes I found natures not available in the near PIDs.
I appreciate that you are reporting a problem, but I can't do anything about it if you don't give me details.

What game version?
What are you trying to do?
What is your seed?
What is/are your target frame(s)?
What are you actually hitting instead of your target?

I'm sorry, I found the solution!

I was trying to RNG this beauty..

and I didn't notice that the NPCs in this area increase around 30 the PIDframe!

Heyyy. I realize the updated OS just came out as of July 26 (today), but I was wondering if there was a hopeful time frame that I should look forward to before I update. I get the update for free, so I'd like to do it whenever the program is updated. No rush at all. I can wait to update my Macs if it means choosing this amazing program over the update. :P Just asking. :)

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Heyyy. I realize the updated OS just came out as of July 26 (today), but I was wondering if there was a hopeful time frame that I should look forward to before I update. I get the update for free, so I'd like to do it whenever the program is updated. No rush at all. I can wait to update my Macs if it means choosing this amazing program over the update. :P Just asking. :)
I don't have any way to test on the new OS at this time, but other than the fact that you may need to specifically allow PPRNG to run because it's not signed by Apple there shouldn't be any issues. I don't have any plan to do a Mountain Lion related update until someone finds out that something isn't working correctly.

hey all, I've been using PPRNG for some time now, but I've never posted on here. I just wanted pop in to report a few issues that I've come across lately

1. For the last two (i think?) releases, the save in any of the seed searchers doesn't work. I've been able to save results before in past releases but now it just brings up the prompt to give a filename and destination and then when I click save or hit enter the pop up closes but nothing gets saved.

2. Sometimes I find that the characteristic listed for a given result is wrong, but most of the time its right (which is weird). I just did the wondercard darkrai and reshiram on white yesterday and each one had a different characteristic in game than what pprng said. I thought I hit the wrong frame but then I checked the nature and IVs and everything but the characteristic was correct. Maybe its just the wondercard inspector but I can't remember if this has happened in the standard inspector either.

3. Also, not really a bug, but I wanted to try using the gen 4 tools but eveytime I try to search for something I either get nothing back or it won't search because it expects too many results. If I get nothing I try to lessen the criteria a bit but then I get the expects too many results message. Is there anyway to just let the search happen or lighten the threshold or something because I really doubt that slightly lessening the criteria is going to make the results go from none to over 10,000 or whatever.

Anyway, thank you so much and hope I was of some help :)

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
hey all, I've been using PPRNG for some time now, but I've never posted on here. I just wanted pop in to report a few issues that I've come across lately
Thank you for reporting issues you've found. If people don't tell me about the issues, I can't fix them.

1. For the last two (i think?) releases, the save in any of the seed searchers doesn't work. I've been able to save results before in past releases but now it just brings up the prompt to give a filename and destination and then when I click save or hit enter the pop up closes but nothing gets saved.
This will be fixed in the next release.

2. Sometimes I find that the characteristic listed for a given result is wrong, but most of the time its right (which is weird). I just did the wondercard darkrai and reshiram on white yesterday and each one had a different characteristic in game than what pprng said. I thought I hit the wrong frame but then I checked the nature and IVs and everything but the characteristic was correct. Maybe its just the wondercard inspector but I can't remember if this has happened in the standard inspector either.
Characteristics for wondercards can be wrong if the details of the wonder cards are not set correctly in the searcher / inspector. This is particularly affected by the ability, but it can happen (rarely) if the ID / SID is not set correctly.

In your cases above, I suspect that the issue is that you didn't set the card ability to 0. For pokemon that only have one ability, the wondercards usually force the ability value to 0 (even though it isn't required to be 0 for single ability pokemon). The ability is contained in the PID, which is what determines the characteristic. Not forcing it to 0 in these cases will result in the wrong PID and thus the wrong characteristic about half of the time.

3. Also, not really a bug, but I wanted to try using the gen 4 tools but eveytime I try to search for something I either get nothing back or it won't search because it expects too many results. If I get nothing I try to lessen the criteria a bit but then I get the expects too many results message. Is there anyway to just let the search happen or lighten the threshold or something because I really doubt that slightly lessening the criteria is going to make the results go from none to over 10,000 or whatever.
Can you post some screenshots showing how you're setting up your searches?

Also note that there are not nearly as many good seeds in Gen 4 as in Gen 5.

I don't know if this has been asked, (and I hope this post doesn't get swallowed by newer ones) but is there going to be any support in the future for Emerald RNG? Just curious - I know it's easy enough without using the likes of RNG Reporter (considering it's the only one with 3rd gen compatibility). If not, that's fine, I was just wondering :D

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
I don't know if this has been asked, (and I hope this post doesn't get swallowed by newer ones) but is there going to be any support in the future for Emerald RNG? Just curious - I know it's easy enough without using the likes of RNG Reporter (considering it's the only one with 3rd gen compatibility). If not, that's fine, I was just wondering :D
From the previous page:
It is unlikely that I will be able to add 3rd Gen support anytime soon, because my time is limited these days and overall only a very small number of people will ever make use of the 3rd gen stuff. I would suggest trying to use RNG Reporter in mono, as OmegaDonut has put a lot more effort into 3rd gen support than I will be able to.
The only thing that's changed from the above statement is that RNG Reporter can't be run under mono anymore, unfortunately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)