Instagram (peaked #14)

Hey!
I've been a UU lurker/player for quite a while and thought I'd post one of my more successful teams, which has also been my favorite. I've hit bit of a wall with it at around 1265 (peaking at #14 on the ladder under the alt igiv) and would like some advice how to improve it. The team is based on Tinted Lens Specs Yanmega, hence the name. Let's get straight to business:

[Changes in BOLD]

I wanted to use Yanmega's specs set as the base for the team:

The next step was to add a poke that would help fix Yanmega's most glaring weakness, Stealth Rocks. Blastoise and Hitmontop came to mind as the most popular spinners in the tier, and both have some good synergy with YM, but I really dislike using Hitmontop on offensive teams so I chose Blastoise:

I needed someone with good offensive synergy with YM, who can abuse the holes YM puts in teams. LO Nidoking came to mind with his amazing coverage, decent speed and immunity to Electric attacks:

Both Yanmega and Nidoking heavily appreciate entry hazards on the other side. My first thought was to use Qwilfish, as he can also check some switch-ins for Yanmega (Choiced fire types, Cobalion), but he has typing issues with Nidoking. I decided to use standard Froslass instead and it has payed off immensely:

At this point, my team was entirely special-based and was walled hard by Snorlax, so I had to pick a poke who can setup on that fat, fat thing. Between Heracross, Cobalion and Darmanitan I chose Cobalion, because my team was unusually slow for an offensive team and I didn't want to use another Choice set. This turned out to be a great choice, with Cobalion often ending matches for me with a sweep:

The last piece of the puzzle was also the hardest to chose. I knew what I wanted: a fast, attacking poke that can turn the tide in a match by taking out enemy pokes and force the opponent into making a mistake. After trying out Azelf, Victini and offensive Raikou, I tried Nasty Plot Zoroark. This guy was perfect for my team: every single member is disguise-worthy, and every single member has specific counters and checks, which he can usually sweep when they're gone. I disguised Zoroark as Blastoise, thinking that it would lure in Ghosts and let Zoroark setup:

This team was doing great, but there was a slight problem: my preparations to spin and taunt so Yanmega could get a free switch in were too much. Froslass was able to get a quick Taunt at the start of the match and in 80% of the matches Blastiose became dead weight. I decided to switch him for a Water type with more offensive presence, so I went for LO Suicune:

Offensive presence is overrated. I took PsYch071c's advice and switched Suicune to Swampert, providing me with a bulky wall that can stop threats from both ends of the spectrum, while supporting the team with Stealth Rocks and Roar:

THE FINAL VERSION (as seen in Team Preview):​

THE TEAM:​

Yanmega (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

The star of the show, pinnacle of the temple, et cetera et cetera. I show him in the lead spot to bluff a Speed Boost set. The power he has is incredible, 3HKO'ing max SpDef Snorlax with Bug Buzz. His role in the team is to weaken opposing walls and bulky pokemon, and he rarely gets the chance to sweep do to his low speed. Yanmega is (usually) able to counter stall, which is very appreciated by his teammates. He is most effective early-mid game when the enemies prefers to switch instead of sacrificing, giving Yanmega those 2-3HKOs on his so-called counters. About the move set: Yanmega never needs to use a non-STAB move thanks to his ability, which lets him hit every poke in the game for neutral damage. U-turn lets him switch to Cobalion on predicted Porygon2 switch ins, Yanmegas most effective counter. Sleep-talk turns him into a sleep absorber and one of the best counters to offensive Roserade. EVs are standard, Modest is needed to 3HKO Snorlax.

Cobalion @ Lum Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

This guy has exactly 2 roles: set up on Snorlax/Porygon2 and take Outrages. Luckily for him, he does both superbly, failing only when I mispredict Earthquakes from Flygon/Snorlax. He usually comes in mid-early in the match, after the opponent sends in his Yanmega counter. Another change I've been thinking of trying is X-scissor instead of Iron Head so he can damage Slowbro, but I'm not sure how effective it would be.

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Ice Beam

I always lead with Froslass, since early Spikes+Taunt are very important for my team. Her first and most important job is to prevent Rocks from being set, so I can even begin to think of sending in Yanmega. Destiny Bond allows me to keep the opposition on their toes, even if I don't get a kill with it. Spikes are Spikes, you know how crucial they are in UU. Ice Beam is for those Xatus that think that they can just waltz in and steal my Spikes. Overall, I am happy with her and the (sometimes unnecessary, always fun) mind games she provides.

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Suicune's replacement, max Def Swampert, slows down the team quite a bit, but makes it less prone to being swept by UU's top threats. He functions as a catch-all wall, while providing Stealth Rock and Scald support to the rest of the team. I chose Scald over Waterfall as the Burn chance is too good to pass up on.

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

The good old 'king of UU' , now even more menacing with his new DW ability. Everyone knows how this guy works: switch in, pick move, don't mis-click. Foolproof. He capitalizes on the dents Yanmega creates by picking off weakened enemies. Ice Beam used to be Flamethrower, but I decided that Flygon coverage was more important than Bronzong coverage and it turned out to be the correct choice, partially because I have better options to deal with Bronzong on the team. Theres not too much to say about Nidoking except that he gets the job done, but not more than that. Probably the most replaceable pokemon on the team.

Zoroark (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Focus Blast

Last but not least, Zoroark. I disguise him as Swampert for 2 reasons: (a) Swampert has so many opportunities to switch in in this metagame (Chandelure used Overheat! Nidoking fainted! Go, "Swampert"!), which make bluffs incredibly easy to pull off and (b) Most players expect Zoro to be disguised either as Froslass or Yanmega when they see the Team Preview. I chose to run the NP set with a bit of a twist: Sucker Punch. I believe it's a must for Zoro since he is incredibly frail and easily picked off by faster, just-as-frail attackers such as Azelf and Scarf Chandelure. Although he performs the best as a sweeper, I sometimes use him as a hit-and-run attacker/revenger due to his speed and priority.

Aaaand that's it. I've had a lot of fun with this team, and I hope you can help me improve it before the impending tier changes! Thanks in advance.

Yanmega (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Cobalion @ Lum Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Ice Beam

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Zoroark (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Focus Blast

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Cool that you started posting, I used to be a lurker as well until a few months ago. Anyway, I really like your team, especially the way you utilized Specs Yanmega as an amazing wallbreaker. However I do notice some glaring weaknesses to some of the most potent threats in the tier. Sharpedo, Unburden Hitmonlee, and CM Raikou are all able to rip through your team, and most of your checks will be hard-pressed to stay healthy enough to stop them. My suggestion to keep these threats at bay is to replace Suicune with Defensive Swampert. This gives you a great check to all of the mons I listed and provides the ever-important Stealth Rock, which puts a ton of pressure on pokes like Chandelure and Darmanitan that would otherwise threaten you. The other change I would recommend is Lum Berry over Life Orb on Cobalion. This prevents Paralysis on the Snorlax and Porygon2 switch in, allows you to set up on bulky waters as they try to burn you, and also allows you to switch directly in to an offensive Roserade's Sleep Powder. I honestly don't know what KO's Cobalion nets when holding LO and power might be more crucial for your team, but in my experience Lum is better overall. I realize these changes might slow the pace of the team down significantly, but I urge you to try them out. Cool team, and I hope you continue posting and get involved in the UU community!

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll try them out, but you should know that Cobalion misses a few 2HKOs (max def Claydol, max def Blastoise, max def Arcanine) and 1HKOs (max HP Rhyperior) without LO. Then again, Lum Berry could help him out much more.

A couple of edits with reasons; I like the rest of your team a lot and only looked over it because I was looking for a team using Zoro.

Replace HP Electric with Roar OR use HP Grass instead. Electric won't hit WaterGround types, and you already have Ice Beam for flying types.

Use a SD Zoro for the same reason you added Cobalion, it gives you a second physical Pokemon. Use Lum Berry on Zoro and carry on disguising it as your Suicune or better yet (in this situation) Cobalion, because I can see both Suicune and Cobalion being constant targets for things like Burn/Poison which gives you a free turn to SD, maybe even two free turns! It will power up your prio Sucker Punch, let's you use U-Turn on Roserade and then I'm not so sure about the fourth move.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I didn't know Zoro get SD, I might use that in another team, but his role on this team is to sweep, with Sucker Punch only being there to take down faster pokes that might threaten his sweep. Secondly, Lum Berry is useless on Zoro: he always comes in after one of my pokes fainted and can only switch in on things like Xatu, as he is extremely frail.

I'm currently testing Swampert instead of Suicune, but I'm not sure your suggestions would be effective: one of the HPs is needed to threaten Water types (so no Roar), and I prefer Electric- it lets me hit Empoleon, while Ground/Water types are taken down by Hydro Pump. As I said though, Suicune probably isn't staying.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
It doesn't help 2HKOing Claydol with LO if it's killing you with Earth Power after 1 LO round (see, you have more chances of beating it with Lum Berry)

This team looks pretty decent but Yanmega looks kinda out of place because you lack an spinner and due to the nature of your team, you would probably be switching a lot. Something you could use over it is LO Zapdos (with Volt Switch over Heat Wave to abuse hazards, though that's up to you)

Zapdos@Life Orb | Pressure
Timid Nature | 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice / Volt Switch / Roost

Cobalion is now Lum Berry, not Life Orb.

DU: thanks for the help, but Yanmega's staying.

Still testing Swampert, but I'm pretty sure he's staying too.

Though minor, assuming this is not a doubles team, switch Sludge Bomb for Sludge Wave on Nidoking for a slightly higher base power. Tinted Specs Yanmega is all the rage right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)