My OU Doubles team led by....Hitmonlee >:D

Here's a team I've been playing with for quite some time now with great success. It revolves around the Unburden Hitmonlee. I know he's not standard, but when he's set up right, with the element of surprise, he takes down teams easily.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Lum Berry Trait: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fake Out

Here's the true monster of the team. First turn, Fake Out the more threatening opponent. Meanwhile, Whimsicott Swaggers Lee, activates Unburden, and voila!. A Hitmonlee with 700+ attack and 500+ speed. The Rock Slide/Earthquake combo has great coverage. Rock Slide's Flinch rate in doubles is a nice bonus too. Close Combat basically OHKOs anything that doesn't resist it.

Whimsicott (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Swagger
- Taunt
- Helping Hand
- Encore

I'm not sure I can make ANY doubles team without this guy anymore. As I already explained, Swagger is for setting up Hitmonlee, but can also help slow down special attackers, like Politoed, who think they can Ice Beam Whimsicott away. On several occassions, Hitmonlee and Whimsicott have taken down Latios or Latias, by Rock Sliding and Swaggering, quickly transitioning into a flinch-fusion combo. Priority Taunt and Encore basically shut down any kind of set up the opponent tries to do, most notably Trick Room, but also the likes Dragon Dance Gyarados or Growth Venusaur. I also Enjoy Encoring a fire type attack after it activated the focus sash so Heatran can come in safely.

Rotom-W @ Life Orb Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split

This is a rather standard set, with my own personal twist. The Life Orb provides power that the opponent rarely expects and Pain Split can heal away the recoil (this is especially fun to use on Blissey, even though she's rare in doubles). The rest of the set is self-explanatory. I'll admit, he does have a pretty big problem with Gastrodon, but I doubt running Hidden Power Grass would really be worth losing my ability to hit dragons super effectively. If and when Hitmonlee's tyraid ends, Rotom-W is usually my go-to-guy for rain teams.

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
- Pursuit

I'm aware Scizor is rare in doubles and I'm aware Choiced sets are even rarer outside of Trick Room sweepers, but boy does he make one hell of a revenge killer. Bullet Punch does about 60% to most things that don't resist it and at least 20% on a lot of things that do resist it. Bug Bite is ridiculously powerful, but tough to use given his low speed. Scizor is usually my best and only counter to Cresselia though and Bug Bite is necessary for her. Bug Bite isn't kind to the Gastrodon that give Rotom-W trouble too.

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Pulse

Obviously, Scizor attracts a lot of fire-type moves, so i looked for someone who could safely switch into them. Heatran provides some another spread attack (which only he and Hitmonlee have) and another ground-type attack. He still has a rough time with Infernape, obviously, but with either Whimsicott or Latios to back him up, i'm not too worried. Hidden Power Grass is a nice surprise for Swampert and Gastrodon, but I don't rely on it too much. If and when Hitmonlee's sweep ends, Heatran is usually my go-to-guy for sun teams.

Latios (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse

This is spot on my team that I'm the least sure about. Latios is fast, and hits hard. I'd like to give him the Life Orb, but item clause leaves him with Expert Belt. Basically, his job is to take out fighting types, like Harriyama, Infernape, and Conkeldurr, but others like Scrafty, Hitmontop, and Toxicroak can still give him problems with Sucker Punch and Crunch. Obviously I have options with him like Draco Meteor, Protect, Tailwind, etc., but I'm really not sure if any of that would really be better. Regardless, He's a good back up to Rotom-W, with more speed and pretty wide coverage. That's about all there is to him.

So that's about it, but here are some final notes:
1. Cresselia does pose a pretty big threat. If I ever meet one with Hidden Power Fire, I'm toast. Someone suggested Bisharp a while back, but I don't know
2. I realize I don't have Protect on a single pokemon, but I've had a lot of success without it. I really don't think I can forgo any of the moves I have for it expect maybe on Rotom-W or Latios.
3. I'm not a big fan of the "bring 6, pick 4" rule, so I mostly play 6 on 6 battles. I realize this is drastically different from the VGCs, but I like them better anyway, so that's the way I play. It'll take some getting used to before I'm ready to make that change .

So go ahead. Do your worst. Suggestions, comments, questions, concerns, philosophical anecdotes, and historical quandaries are all welcome. Thank you :)

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The Swagger+Unburden combo seems gimmicky to me, but if it works for you I can't argue with success.

I can see CB Scizor working, but Pursuit seems like a really bad choice. Switching is rare in doubles, and even when you pull it off successfully, being locked into Pursuit makes Scizor dead weight.

Not sure how useful Ice Beam is on Latios either, seems most of the things you'd hit with it are already dealt with by one of the other attacks. I'd also suggest trying Draco Meteor; when I used Latios on a team a while back I was hesitant to use it, but once I switched I never looked back.

You mentioned Protect, but I really think you should give it more of a chance, the tactical options it adds can be game-changing once you know when to use it. Another mon that could use it is Heatran, you already have enough ways to hit dragons that you could consider dropping Dragon Pulse.

Man, OU Doubles is fun but I can never find a match for it. From my experience, it is a good deal like VGC 2012. If you have ever played that, you might know how common the move Protect is. But it's just a great Doubles move in general, certainly worth putting on any Mon who has room for it.

Thoughts on the main combo itself are pretty much the same as Voodoo. I will note that Close Combat gets used enough, you will be open for a priority attack. Earthquake will do sizable damage to members of your team if you are at +2 and they don't Protect, so I would replace it with Protect. If you can predict it correctly it might allow you to survive a turn where you would be KO'd and let your partner deal with the threat.

Some of these sets feel next to unchanged from a quite standard Singles set, like the Rotom-W. I don't see Pain Split having use on a frail Mon(at least without any HP EVs), something fast like Latios might just OHKO with a somehow boosted Draco Meteor. Protect could be better.

Pursuit might be a bad move to be locked into on Scizor, due to semi-mediocre damage on non-switchers.

Heatran: HP Grass will severely damage those 2, but if the Air Balloon is down or you have much previous damage they will still KO you with ease.

Adding a Water type or something that can benefit from Rain might be nice, an offensive Rain team could be a big threat if Hitmonlee goes down.

The Swagger+Unburden combo seems gimmicky to me, but if it works for you I can't argue with success.
I totally thought the idea was gimmicky too when I first thought of it, but once I put it together, it really worked. I used it after i got bored of the Terrakion-Whimsicott Beat Up combo. I found this to be better since it sets up quicker, stops the opponent from setting up, AND allows Whimsicott to run Encore (since you can't have Beat Up and Encore on the same set).

Not sure how useful Ice Beam is on Latios either, seems most of the things you'd hit with it are already dealt with by one of the other attacks. I'd also suggest trying Draco Meteor; when I used Latios on a team a while back I was hesitant to use it, but once I switched I never looked back.
Ice beam is a must on Latios, as it hits the Dragon/Grounds and Dragon/Flyings harder than anything else on my team. I would consider Draco Meteor or Protect over Thunderbolt or Dragon Pulse, but I'm not sure exactly what to do about it. He's already pretty much walled by all steel types. it's a shame Hidden Power Fire requires you run 30 speed IVs

You both mentioned Pursuit on Scizor not being great, and I agree. I don't think I can even remember the last time I used it. What would you recommend instead? Ariel Ace to help deal with slower fight types?

Heatran: HP Grass will severely damage those 2, but if the Air Balloon is down or you have much previous damage they will still KO you with ease.
You guys seemed to hate on Heatran a bit, saying he's dead weight without the balloon, but I beg to differ. You'd be surprised how many people ignore the balloon and attack with ground type attacks anyway. Even with a modest nature, Heatran outspeeds Gastrodon, Machamp, Reuniclus, Swampert, and many others who think they can come in easily and KO with a water, ground, or fighting attack. I'll try swapping Dragon Pulse for Protect, but I'm concerned as to what I'll do against Dragonite, Flygon, and the like.

I don't see Pain Split having use on a frail Mon(at least without any HP EVs)
My Rotom is shocked that you referred to him as frail. Rotom is anything but Frail. He only has 1 weakness and over 100 base stats in both defenses. I've seen him take Solarbeams from Drought Ninetails in order to stay in and KO the other threat. Most of damamge he takes is from his own Life Orb. Rotom has done a terrific job in my experience holding off offensive rain teams sans Ludicolo.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
You both mentioned Pursuit on Scizor not being great, and I agree. I don't think I can even remember the last time I used it. What would you recommend instead? Ariel Ace to help deal with slower fight types?
Aerial Ace is probably your best bet, it's got good coverage and solid power with Technician.

My Rotom is shocked that you referred to him as frail. Rotom is anything but Frail. He only has 1 weakness and over 100 base stats in both defenses. I've seen him take Solarbeams from Drought Ninetails in order to stay in and KO the other threat. Most of damamge he takes is from his own Life Orb. Rotom has done a terrific job in my experience holding off offensive rain teams sans Ludicolo.
Sorry Rotom! I just remember Rotom seeming pretty frail when I used him without 252 HP. Loads of common stuff 2HKO's him that it might not when he has 252 HP, and unboosted Ludicolo and Abomansow can't OHKO if you put a bit in HP.

-Heh, I like to see people use unique stuff like that combo. Although I will agree it is a wee bit gimmicky, if it has worked well go for it. I might suggest you use Sableye instead, and although you loose Encore, you gain the benefit of priority WoW, possibly one of the best things out there.
-With your current EVs, Pain Split won't be much help to you. Either invest 252 in HP instead of speed or replace PS with Protect.
-I agree with Voodoo about giving Scizor Aerial Ace
-Dragon Pulse on Heatran seems a bit repetitive to me, I'd replace it with Protect, seeing as it'll be EQ weak after the balloon pops
-Latios DEFINITELY needs Dragon Gem and Draco Meteor, that shiz can OHKO soooo many things. Replace Ice Beam with Protect, for reasons said before.

Overall, all else I can say is what has been said before: Protect is one of the most essential moves in this tier, remember that.

Sooo after trying out some of your ideas I have come to some conclusions,

First, I am a big fan of Protect on Heatran and Rotom-W. I do miss Dragon Pulse and Pain Split dearly, but I feel Protect has done enough to deserve to stay.

Secondly, I tried Latios with Dragon Gem and Psychic, Ice Beam, Protect, and Draco Meteor, but found he was totally useless against steel types. Now gave him Thunderbolt over Protect, but I'm still sometimes underwhelmed by Ice Beam's and Thunderbolt's power without a Life Orb. Any more suggestions for what to do with him, keeping in mind his primary role is for taking out fighting types like Hariyama, Mienshao, Terrakion, and Conkeldurr?

Thirdly, while I recognize the awesomenss priority Will-O-Wisp can have, there's no way it can be better that priority Encore in doubles. Whimsicott can Encore Fake Out, Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes (since no one on my team cares about them except my leads), Tailwind, Weather attacks, and (my personal favorite) Trick Room. Encore is one of the primary reasons this combo is better than the classic Terrakion-Whimsicott combo, since Beat Up and Encore are incompatible on the same set

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Secondly, I tried Latios with Dragon Gem and Psychic, Ice Beam, Protect, and Draco Meteor, but found he was totally useless against steel types. Now gave him Thunderbolt over Protect, but I'm still sometimes underwhelmed by Ice Beam's and Thunderbolt's power without a Life Orb. Any more suggestions for what to do with him, keeping in mind his primary role is for taking out fighting types like Hariyama, Mienshao, Terrakion, and Conkeldurr?

Thirdly, while I recognize the awesomenss priority Will-O-Wisp can have, there's no way it can be better that priority Encore in doubles. Whimsicott can Encore Fake Out, Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes (since no one on my team cares about them except my leads), Tailwind, Weather attacks, and (my personal favorite) Trick Room. Encore is one of the primary reasons this combo is better than the classic Terrakion-Whimsicott combo, since Beat Up and Encore are incompatible on the same set
I still don't like Ice Beam on Latios, since almost anything you'd want to hit with it is already OHKO'd by Draco Meteor.

Just so you know, nobody is ever going to use Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes in doubles :P And where was Will-O-Wisp brought up? I don't see it anywhere in the thread.

I still don't like Ice Beam on Latios, since almost anything you'd want to hit with it is already OHKO'd by Draco Meteor.

Just so you know, nobody is ever going to use Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes in doubles :P And where was Will-O-Wisp brought up? I don't see it anywhere in the thread.
I'm trying out Protect over Ice Beam right now and I think you might be right. My only problem with Draco Meteor so far is that Latios can't put much of a dent in anything after the SpA drop.

I've seen people try to set up entry hazards on me before. Right in front of Whimsi. I won't expect to see it in VGC (especially since almost all my pokes are immune), but it can be nice when I get the chance. The guy named "The Knights of Wario Land" suggested I try Sableye instead of Whimsicott to do the same job and I merely expressed my difference of opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)