Favorite non-ubers you use in ubers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have got to say kabutops. it is incredibly fast with swift swim and it has access to rapid spin but more importantly it gains a clean 2HKO on Giratina-O with night slash. It also outspeeds and kills a lot of speedy uber threats like mewtwo and dakrai. Low Kick scores a 2HKO on dialga and ferrothorn and because the uber tier is so heavy it packs a good punch. Kabutops has been my MVP so many times I can't tell you. It also has decent bulk stomaching a +2 Extremespeed taking about 50% damage while dealing 88-104% damage back. Kabutops is just amazing under the rain and it spins how forry wishes it could. (i am describing a banded kabutops btw)

Ohi pretty much use it to hit giratina for SE damage and while it does less Stone Edge misses to much for me; just personal preference

I'm actually using Xatu in Ubers as Magic Bouncer an he gives me awesome results. He can switch in the majority of Spikers, SRockers an Toxic Spikers: Ferrothorn, Forretress, Tentacruel, Groudon (Stone Edge doesn't does big damage and Xatu can outstall Stone Edge's PP with Roost), etc. Unfortunately, Xatu can't switch in Tyranitar and Dialga.
But this isn't a problem, Xatu have other utilities too, like switching on a predicted Dark Void of Darkrai or bounce Lugia's Toxic. Its pretty cool.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner
LO Mamoswine is easily my favorite as its dual STABs are balling in Uber and literally with SR support, it can OHKO stuff like Kyogre on the switch in with an EQ and Ice Shard Combo as well as Smashing stuff like Palkia. Ho-Oh is made quick work of with Stone Edge and really all dragons have to watch out since Ice Shard will sting. Mamo really likes Hazards and stuff too

Ditto is a monster. Everything in ubers, bar maybe mewtwo and the birds, just tears itself apart. Ditto revenge kills the whole metagame.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
stop making shit posts with no substance
Yup, I'm gonna keep a close eye on this thread and will infract anyone posting stupid posts such as "ferrothorn is beast". Explain why do you like it, thanks.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Snatch
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

Heh, this thing. People use Mono Attackers to beat stall, but Snatch Bliss can beat every one of them bar Poison and Steel Arceus. Basically, you Toxic them and keep Snatching, healing off their weak attacks when necessary.

There's a bit of prediction involved: you should heal when they attack, but you should Snatch when they do anything else. If you can do that, you win. If you derp on your prediction and let them Refresh/Rest, you have to start over, and you might lose if they have too many CM boosts. But the odds are in your favor!

As I mentioned, this set usually goes on stallish teams, so pair it up with Forry, Gira, and pals. If you're running Sand Stall, you're required to use Blissey. If not, you can use Chansey if you would like.

I use a bold Sableye with
252 Hp 4 Def 252 Sp Def

Foul Play
Will-o-Wisp
Subsitute
Recover

He is the best staller ever if u hit with will-o-wisp (not to mention no weaknesses). He can also sweep mew, mewtwo, giratina and latios with foul play.

I was inspired by flaming spade

Blissey @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Snatch
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

Heh, this thing. People use Mono Attackers to beat stall, but Snatch Bliss can beat every one of them bar Poison and Steel Arceus. Basically, you Toxic them and keep Snatching, healing off their weak attacks when necessary.

There's a bit of prediction involved: you should heal when they attack, but you should Snatch when they do anything else. If you can do that, you win. If you derp on your prediction and let them Refresh/Rest, you have to start over, and you might lose if they have too many CM boosts. But the odds are in your favor!

As I mentioned, this set usually goes on stallish teams, so pair it up with Forry, Gira, and pals. If you're running Sand Stall, you're required to use Blissey. If not, you can use Chansey if you would like.
Well if only they implemented Snatch on Pokemon Showdown it would be cool, as I lost one battle not knowing that I couldn't steal opponent buffs -_-.

My favorite non-uber Pokemon in Ubers so far...

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
~ Shadow Ball
~ Thunder (I'm running it on Rain team)
~ Focus Blast
~ Trick

Really simple and yet effective Choice Scarf Pokemon. Gengar is really fast and have good STAB to use in Ubers tier where it hits so much stuff for SE damage. And Gengar LOVES fact that for some strange reason (at least on Pokemon Showdown) Scizor and Tyranitar are almost non-existant in Ubers. Especially lack of Scizors is strange when it's one of few Steel types with reliable recovery as well. It outspeeds so much and I'm also using it as a last resort Kingdra revenge killer as it outspeeds most variants in Rain as well (although Kingdra is rare as well). Also the ability to revenge kill ALL variants of Rayquaza is priceless as it ignores ExtremeSpeed. Really underrated scarfer with ability to spinblock some spinners as well. Also Trick is my last resort trick when something goes wrong and I allowed some Calm Mind users to use too many boosts.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Impish Nature
~ Earthquake
~ Roar
~ Ice Fang
~ Slack Off

My favorite member on my stall team number one. His ability to check some of the most dangerous physical behemots in Ubers is really good. Extremekiller Arceus, Groudon, Excadrill, Tyranitar (rare, but still), Zekrom, Ho-Oh and few others really make this guy one of the best physical walls around. Ice Fang is kinda weak, but it allows me to revenge kill Outraging Rayquaza if needed, although I consider to switch it to Toxic. Instant recovery is good enough reason for me to consider this guy as much better pick for stall teams then Groudon, which must rely on Wish from partners, which is really impractical in some situations. Reached 34 place in PS Ubers tier (Gargy) with this fella and it doesn't dissapoint me so far.

Chansey @ Eviolite
4 HP/252 Def/252 SpD
Calm Nature
~ Wish
~ Softboiled
~ Seismic Toss
~ Toxic (or Snatch on PO)

If you don't run Sandstorm (or Hail, I saw one good Ubers Hail team on ladder), why even bother with Blissey (I use Sand Force Hippowdon) ? Chansey is BULKIER on special side (enough to for example WALL Specs Water Spout from Kyogre even with ONLY SR damage up, something that Blissey wishes for) and far more tankier on physical side (easily taking for example hits from support Groudon and I even had situations where I tanked Scarfed Outrages from strong dragons, it's that good). The best special wall in game and this missing Leftovers isn't worth it to pick Blissey over Chansey in pretty much all situations. Also this additional special bulk makes Chansey probably the best Kyurem-W counter in the game (Blissey hates taking those Focus Blasts much more).

Skarmory @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 SpD/4 Def
Impish Nature
~ Spikes
~ Whirlwind
~ Toxic
~ Roost

Another great Pokemon for Ubers stall teams, which has everything you need for those type of teams (phazing, instant recovery, HAZARDS). While many people think it's outclassed by Ferrothorn or Forretress, instant recover and good phazing are two big reasons why this guy won't be outclassed by anything. And with Impish nature it still can tank those random strong Outrages and still stop Groudons without Fire Punches, ExtremeKiller Arceus, Dragon Arceus and few other nasty opponents. Good mixed wall, really underrated and it deserve more attention for me for sure.

Why do you use Sand Force Hippowdon? Changing the weather is a huge deal in Ubers. If you use Sand Force, all Hippowdon has over Groudon is instant recovery, while Groudon has way better base stats and Sun.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sand Force Hippowdon can be used as a good Ground-type physical wall on rain teams, since Sand Force is relatively "inert". It can take place of Ground Arceus, letting you use another form like ExtremeKiller.

Why do you use Sand Force Hippowdon? Changing the weather is a huge deal in Ubers. If you use Sand Force, all Hippowdon has over Groudon is instant recovery, while Groudon has way better base stats and Sun.
For first - Chansey hates taking Sandstorm damage. Although I consider to change it. But this additional bulk from Chansey helps me against Kyogre choice sets, so I can't afford to change her for Blissey.

For second - I consider to change RestTalk Giratina to RestTalk Giratina-O as I have some issues with CB Groudon spamming Earthquakes. It also hates taking passive damage from Sandstorm.

And I never really missed that Sandstorm, as I still counter/check most dangerous Sun/Rain sweepers and I never found being weak myself against any of them (maybe Ho-Oh in Sun is a bit annoying, but still can handle it). Sure, weather control is always nice, but with heavy stall teams it's not as necessary IMO as you should have covered most dangerous targets anyway no matter what kind of weather opponents have. And I still run Choice Scarf user in case something goes wrong.

And as Shrang mentioned - It works fine on Rain based teams ;).

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Would've been better if, you know, Tornadus countered Darkrai, but I guess taking the sleep and switching out isnt bad since it has regen.

My two favorite Non Ubers I use in Ubers are Kabutops and Heatran.

Kabutops is amazing in rain and is pretty hard to wall, with only Grassceus and Gastrodon (and I guess Giratina kinda?) being just about the only safe switch ins in rain. Super fast, revenges Scarfed things and Deoxys-S (gets outsped by Scarf Terrakion though with Adamant D:), great coverage, and it's an exceptional cleaner. Oh and it gets Rapid Spin too, which is great for destroying enemy momentum since you can't really expect it, though obviously it needs to be used very carefully. Finally, it resists ExtremeSpeed, which is pretty great in itself!

Heatran faces a set of new problems this gen with Reshiram/Kyurem-W and Tentacruel becoming a viable mon but otherwise it's still great since it's the only Uber viable Dragon resist to not be weak to Fire. Can counter Lati@s and EQ-less Ho-Oh and disrupts a lot of things with Toxic/Roar/Taunt and having a lot of switch in opportunities to abuse it.

Sand Force hippowdon does get stealth rock now and that is pretty kick ass, I have been testing it in OU with a sun team as a physical wall and it works pretty well.

I use lots of randomish stuff in ubers, because I can get away with it lol. A few months back I randomly tested my RU team in ubers and won... against a less experienced player, but whatever.

I like using CB metagross with a slightly specially defensive spread because it can come in on mewtwo in rain or lots of defensive things before it eventually goes down.

I REALLY like magnezone because it is unfair in combination with a CB zekrom. Many super bulky ubers walls are steel types and with them gone outrage loses its best sponges. Lugia does not work either with its flying typing. Groudon can even be disposed of with some hazards. The few pokemon that can beat the duo are not common and easy enough to deal with.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
magnezone doesn't really pair well with zekrom? ground types are the biggest problem it faces, and magnezone hardly relieves that issue.

cb metagross is somewhat outclassed by jirachi, who can spread para, and has great durability with wish

metagross is walled by a lot of things, and using CB does it no favours for its resisted attacks - pretty much any support arceus can come into it

i probably use terrakion, skarmory, and forretress the most

skarm walls sd arceus and lays hazards, no other pokemon can do this as well

forretress hard counters ferrothorn and provides unmatchable utility

terrakion is almost impossible to wall or can ubers greatest choice scarf user

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
terrakion is almost impossible to wall or can ubers greatest choice scarf user
Physically defensive Gira-a / Support Ghostceus say hi.

cb metagross is somewhat outclassed by jirachi, who can spread para, and has great durability with wish
CB Gross 2HKOes Lugia (after rocks, timid variants IIRC are 2HKOed regardless) while sporting better physical bulk. It can trap stuff with Pursuit, or wreck random stuff with Choice Band boosted Meteor Mash. Bullet Punch allows it to have a strong priority attack that Rachi lacks, I could continue but point is comparing those two mons are comparing mons with two totally different niches. Also Trick is nice for lol on Gira-a.

I like using Qwilfish in ubers. Its a fantastic suicide lead that outspeeds practically everything under the rain. Access to Taunt prevents other stuff from setting up. It gets both Spikes and Tspikes which makes it a great choice for quick stall teams. Explosion and Destiny Bond is a great way to go out with a bang. Its bulk isn't THAT bad either, with a little bit of investment it gets 3HKOed by Ferrothorn's Power Whip which is enough time to Taunt it and set up two layers of the hazard of choice, or set up one and permanently remove the spiker from the game via Destiny Bond. Fast Destiny Bond is epic, and outspeeding virtually everything without the need of maximum speed is :D (assuming rain).

Anyone thats used Jumpluff will also know what terror it is to be against it. Sleep Powder + Sub + Leech Seed + Encore = D:. Sun makes this ball of cotton the fastest thing around, and thanks to its access to U-turn (use it on a predicted switch to a spinner / offensive threat) it will probably never die. Its base speed is great outside of sun (>100) and in sun nothing, NOT EVEN CHOICE SCARF SKYMIN (it can wall it though), can outspeed it. Well barring stupid stuff like Choice Scarf Chlorophyll Venusaur but...

EDIT: AT THE BELOW POST I THOUGHT I MENTIONED ENCORE -_-, apparently not so :( although nightmares of tmon's terrifying team are coming back now.

I love Jumpluff. I used it in Gen IV to great effect and just last night I laddered up to a pretty decent rating on a team built around Jumpluff, Groudon, and Ho-Oh. Other people have talked about how great it is and stuff so I won't mention that (although I don't think anyone mentioned that Jumpluff has a viable sleep move while Whimsicott doesn't), but I do have a question.

I understand that SubSeed Jumpluff shouldn't run HP EVs to get more mileage out of Leech Seed but what would be the optimal defensive spread? I guess the ideal Jumpluff would run enough Def EVs so that Substitute isn't broken by Dragon Tail, but everything except Lugia has a chance of breaking a Substitute with Dragon Tail even at max defense anyway. Maxing out SpD EVs isn't going to do much either. Does anyone have an optimal spread for Jumpluff besides 188 Def/68 SpD (assuming Timid and max speed of course)?

@ Mr. lol - Why use U-Turn over Encore? I mean, obviously you use it to scout, but you can also scout with Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, or Sub. EDIT: nvm.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i said almost impossible for a reason

cb metagross is outclassed because as soon as it locks itself into something an easy resist can be switched out into, not to mention ho-oh is an almost perfect counter. if you want a mewtwo check that can absorb hits use jirachi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)