Darkrai + Blaziken team help

Hey guys, new to Uber battling this gen. Any tips for my team?

At a glance:

@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Bad Dreams
EVs: 28 HP / 228 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Dark Void
- Nasty Plot
- Trick

Pretty cool against Deoxys leads and other Darkrai. Choice Scarf allows me to put many things to Sleep, and Trick is very useful in forcing switches from boosters and walls. Also takes care of Giratina, who's the biggest impediment to Blaziken that I've run into so far. One of the few Sinnoh Pokemon that I liked, so I definitely want to use him.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Hi Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Protect

The main player of this team. Should be self-explanatory, sets up and sweeps. Leftovers to help with recoil, and to make Protect more worthwhile. One of my favourite starter Pokemon, which is why I chose to make a team revolved around him.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

An obvious choice to bring some sunny fun for Blaziken. Besides that, he's a physical wall who provides some utility. Stealth Rock is there to discourage switching and to bait out Spinners for Wobbuffet. This guy switches in on Thunder Wave or Bolt Strike and gives payback with its own Thunder Wave or Earthquake. Really brings the hurt on Tyranitar, Excadrill, Dialga, the Johto birds, and the Unova dragons, among others.

@ Meadow Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SDef / 112 Spd
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

My weather-Pokemon counter. Grass Knot hits Groudon, Kyogre, and Ttar harder than Judgment would, and has more PP. Ice Beam is useful for Skymin and other Dragons/Flyers. The main use is taking care of those guys, and then just surviving and spreading Paralysis. Really good against Rain teams in general.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 92 HP / 164 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard
- Encore

Takes out some strong threats like Mewtwo and Ho-oh, and helps bring Blaziken in by either drawing out moves that Blaziken resists, or by Encoring Paralyzed enemies that use non-damaging moves. There's some amazing synergy with Darkrai here too, in that Encore can be used on a boosting/stage hazard move, and then Darkrai punishes that further by Trickscarfing, forcing switches into Dark Void. Probably the gal that gives me the most opportunities to turn the game around.

@ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Special Sponge + Cleric. Also spreads Paralysis. This works in conjunction with Wob's Safeguard to deal with Toxic Spikes and other status spreaders.

A more in-depth look at how I approach certain Pokemon:

Darkrai is pretty much my only answer to this thing. I can either put it to Sleep, or Dark Pulse it. From what I've seen, Dark Pulse does enough unboosted for Blaziken to finish it off with a sun-boosted Flare Blitz. +2 Dark Pulse should be a OHKO. So yeah, if I see this ghostly dragon in team preview, I make sure to save Darkrai. Otherwise, I'll be banking on keeping it Paralyzed for Arceus and Groudon to chip it down, with Wob setting up Safeguard against Will-o-Wisp. It's very important that I save Darkrai if I notice this on the opponent's team, since it's probably the best counter to Blaziken I can think of. RestTalk Giratina is especially a nuisance which I'm glad to have Darkrai around for Bad Dreams and Dark Pulse.

Something to look out for. SD'd ExtremeSpeeds hurt. I try to save Darkrai's Dark Void for this, but if that fails, I have a couple other options to prevent it from sweeping. If they don't boost up ExtremeSpeed, Wob can Counter it no problem. If they do have SD, then I use my aforementioned Encore-to-Darkrai Trickscarf maneuver to force them out. Paralysis can help against it too if I chose to put something else to Sleep, allowing my Arceus, Groudon, and Darkrai to take a ES and dish out some damage back. If I'm really in a pinch, I'll use Blaziken to Protect against ES first, and then play a switching game to burn up ES's PP, but that's a really last resort option. I think I have the tools to handle him, I just need to be manage my switches properly.

Annoying, don't really have a solid plan against it yet. So far I try my Encore-to-Trickscarf strategy on this guy, and it sort of helps. Arceus's Ice Beam does decent damage, as does Groudon's Stone Edge, but Reflect/Light Screen, Roost, and Multiscale are still annoying. Darkrai kind of scares it off with boosted Dark Pulses though, and if I don't KO it before the sweep, I can do enough damage to make Flare Blitz take it down regardless.

This guy packs a punch and will scorch most of my team. Usually I just try to Paralyze him and then switch to Groudon, who can take a hit and will then have a clear shot to OHKO him with Stone Edge. In preparation for him, I try to have Groudon put up Stealth Rock quickly anyways, and also have Wob put up Safeguard to defend against a random Burn on Groudon too. Definitely someone that I'm willing to sacrifice a Pokemon and then use Wob to revenge kill him away for.

But that's mainly for CB versions. The real monsters are the ones with Substitute, and I haven't found an efficient way to handle it. So far, I try to use Wob to Encore him when he attacks and break his Sub with Counter if possible, and then follow up with Darkrai to put him to Sleep. Otherwise, I'll Paralyze him and then make sure that I get KO'd while he doesn't have a Sub, allowing me to bring in Groudon on a Paralyzed Ho-oh. I still need to figure out a consistent way of beating Sub Ho-oh though.

Reshiram is kinda like Ho-oh, but more managable just because of Chansey. I just Paralyze him and let Groudon finish him off. Blaziken can take him out with a boosted Hi Jump Kick as well, so it's just a matter of getting Blaziken out safely. I deal with Dialga and Palkia in similar ways too, and they're much less threatening than Reshiram.

My Darkrai outspeeds others every time, letting me get in a faster Dark Void. On the chance that they're using the same set as me, it's just a 50/50 deal on who gets put to Sleep. But with Wob for Safeguard and Chansey for Heal Bell, I can bring in Groudon or Arceus to take care of it without having to worry about Dark Void. Blaziken can KO it too if I get a couple of Speed Boosts in.

Mostly see these guys as leads. Anyways, Scarfrai outspeeds them (except for Scarf'd Deoxys-S, but I've only seen that once), and Trick really helps against them. If it's Deoxys-S, then usually they try to use a setup move like Stealth Rock, or they try to Taunt in reaction to expecting Dark Void. This is just baiting for trolling with Trick, where I take their Focus Sash/Lum Berry and leave them locked into a useless move, giving me the options to KO them with Dark Pulse, switch, or predict a switch and Dark Void as I see fit.

When it comes to Deoxys-A, I can Trick and take their Focus Sash, leaving me with 1 HP, but also have them locked into Superpower. From there, it's just a matter of switching to Wob and finishing them off with Counter.

For both Formes, I can take a risk of Dark Voiding them to Sleep as well, but usually I want to save that for more dangerous threats like Arceus or Giratina (although there are some RestTalker Giratina that are obnoxious to deal with).

Arceus solos these guys. Skymin and Landorus are OHKO'd by Ice Beam (I try to get Skymin Paralyzed beforehand though just in case of Air Slash hax), Ice Beam does hefty damage to Tornadus, and Terrakion gets wrecked by Grass Knot. If they're Paralyzed, then Groudon can take out Skymin and Thundurus with Stone Edge, and it's bulky enough to handle Terrakion on its own as well.

Very easy to take out, particularly if it's a lead. Arceus and Chansey won't be taking more than 50% from its attacks even in the rain, so they can Paralyze it and heal up while waiting for a full paralysis before damaging it back. Arceus easily gets OHKOs-2HKOs with Grass Knot, so it's pretty quick work. More drastic options include having Groudon bring in sun when it Rests, using Darkrai to put it to Sleep, or revenge-killing with Wob. Blaziken does maybe 70%~ unboosted, and OHKOs with Hi Jump Kick after a Swords Dance too, so it doesn't really block a sweep on its own, but ideally Kyogre and Drizzle are cleared out before then so that the Rain doesn't hinder potential Flare Blitz attempts.

Arceus switches in and handles them no sweat with Grass Knot. Failing that, just doing a bit of damage to Groudon will bring it into KO range for +2 Flare Blitz, and Ttar gets wrecked by Hi Jump Kick anyway. My own Groudon also hurts them pretty well too.

Groudon gets rid of any Sandstorm that might be speeding up the mole, and Earthquake does a good number on him. Blaziken's STAB moves also take him out, so my only real priority is making sure that Sand isn't up so he doesn't outspeed me.

Groudon's also bulky enough to take Scizor's hits and do some damage back. SD Scizor gets trolled by Wob and then either gets KO'd or becomes setup fodder for Darkrai or Blaziken after Encore.

Groudon lures out these Forretress with Stealth Rock, or either one comes out to lay hazards, while they get Thunder Waved on the switch. Proceed with Wob switching in on them when they use Rapid Spin or perhaps a hazard move/Toxic, Encoring them to use the same move, and then switching to Blaziken for a free Swords Dance and sweep. If they do use Toxic/Toxic Spikes, then I just make sure Wob uses Safeguard before switching to protect Blaziken. Sweep still commences.

So yeah, the main idea is to take control of the weather with Groudon and Arceus, and then try to open up an opportunity for Blaziken with Wobbuffet and Darkrai. Chansey keeps the team healthy by sponging and curing, and also slows down the other team.

I've been thinking of swapping Softboiled for Wish on Chansey, which would let Wob and Darkrai be even bigger nuisances, and perhaps even support Blaziken after a whiffed Hi Jump Kick. If I do make the swap, then I might give Arceus Roar over Recover too for some phazing and to kick Lugia out.

Any suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated. Ideas for EV spreads in particular would be nice. Thanks!

Thanks!

Actually, Blaziken (and by extension, Ditto) hasn't been a problem for me at all. My Wobbuffet-Darkrai combo has creamed every one I've ran into so far. Wobbuffet switches in on his first turn Protect, and then I Encore. If he attacked, he's dead next turn. If he Swords Danced, then I Trick a Scarf onto him to force him to switch out, letting me setup my own Blaziken and having an advantage over him. Just forcing him out with a Scarf helps in other ways too, like being able to Paralyze him since he can't Protect anymore, or setting up a way to take him out with Groudon. I suppose things might be different if it's really late game, but then I'd have my own Blaziken out, and from there it'd just be a matter of prediction between Protecting against Hi Jump Kick to screw each other over.

By the way, I've added a list of common Pokemon I've ran into and how I take them out. I haven't put Mewtwo or Blaziken on the list yet, but Wobbuffet handles them if they don't boost, and Darkrai finishes them off if they do have a boosting move. I haven't put Baton Passers on the list yet either, but Darkrai essentially wrecks them with TrickScarf.

What I see... a bit of a lack of utility like Phazing/Hazing, or entry hazards, or the like. You do have a lot of support and decent offense/coverage, but I'm thinking of Ho-Oh with Whirlwind might give your team a run for the money. My fear with Blaziken has always been vs Priorities. A few flare blitz recoil and a priority or 2 hitting him make for a bad day for blaziken. (Also an unlucky fight vs protect/sub or other stallers or even ninjask may prove to be a problem as you don't wanna hit the subs with blitz, and you don't wanna kick the protect, and ninjask possibly keeps up with blaze in speed? i have to check that one....).

Also, entry hazards can be a risky thing for you, as yes you can win the lead, but doesn't mean they don't have a second set form others. A set of toxic spikes on Blaziken, and he is still pretty much paper. (Groudon stealth rocks, etc).

I am making a blaziken and groudon team myself. I have been using cloyster as my lead for rapid spin, and I have a Ho-Oh as a tank, as I think it synergizes well with the team. Blissey is great support, but what do you need heal bell for? Blaziken should never come out and get statused until all is ready. And when he does come out, he can protect and then outspeed almost everything (other than maybe a darkrai, or a confuse ray, or lol scarf breloom?)

Blazikens fears - Extreme speed Arceus, Scizor early, Sucker Punch, Protect, Resistance dancing making you take recoil, and other things. If you had entry hazards, you wouldn't need to worry about resistance dancing.

Also, believe it or not, Scarfed Terrakion will outspeed your Arceus... something to note, it may not OHKO you, So you probably can kill it with grass knot, but it is something to note. Also, Blaziken and arceus may need to be wary of focus sash wearers.

I think this team is good, but the darkrai lead is really what's the power here, Best of luck to you!

The team's got a bit of holes, most notably the one to powerful psychics. Deoxys-A (and a fairly competent player) can wreck shop when wob is gone. He/She can freely focus blast and granted it hits will deal good damage to most of your team and your desired darkrai switch.

SubCalm Mind Mewtwo can also do considerable work on your team.

What I see... a bit of a lack of utility like Phazing/Hazing, or entry hazards, or the like. You do have a lot of support and decent offense/coverage, but I'm thinking of Ho-Oh with Whirlwind might give your team a run for the money. My fear with Blaziken has always been vs Priorities. A few flare blitz recoil and a priority or 2 hitting him make for a bad day for blaziken. (Also an unlucky fight vs protect/sub or other stallers or even ninjask may prove to be a problem as you don't wanna hit the subs with blitz, and you don't wanna kick the protect, and ninjask possibly keeps up with blaze in speed? i have to check that one....).
Ho-oh's been sort of a problem, but not really with Whirlwind. Whirlwinders in general just fall into their own trap by being locked into it with some combo of Thunder Wave/Encore/Choice Scarf, where they get screwed by not being able to heal anymore or use an offensive move to finish me off, which would leave Ho-oh in particular to be left against a couple of Pokemon that can heal 50%, put it to sleep with Dark Void, or just OHKO'd with Stone Edge, if not be worn down anyway.

The only real priority users that I look out for are Arceus and Rayquaza. Rayquaza gets OHKO'd by Arceus, and Groudon can also take a hit and KO it with Stone Edge too, so I haven't run into many problems with him. As for Arceus, mainly ES is mainly used by Normal Arceus. Wob comes in on him, in which I can KO him with Counter, or if I predict that he's gonna try to SD instead, then I just Encore him and then TrickScarf with Darkrai, forcing him out and then letting me Sleep him or something later. Other Arceus don't usually have ES from what I've seen, but Groudon/Arceus usually handles those.

Other priority users usually get resisted by Blaziken anyway, or I can use someone like Wob or Groudon to block them.

Also, entry hazards can be a risky thing for you, as yes you can win the lead, but doesn't mean they don't have a second set form others. A set of toxic spikes on Blaziken, and he is still pretty much paper. (Groudon stealth rocks, etc).
Wob covers Toxic Spikes with Safeguard, and Wob himself gets healed by Chansey's Heal Bell, so Toxic Spikes have never been a problem. Stealth Rockers get trapped by an Encore from Wob, which lets me come in with Blaziken or troll them with TrickScarf from Darkrai, so those haven't been a problem either. The only hazard that's really a bother is Spikes. A spinner would be nice, I'm just not sure on if it's worth taking out one of my team members for already.

I am making a blaziken and groudon team myself. I have been using cloyster as my lead for rapid spin, and I have a Ho-Oh as a tank, as I think it synergizes well with the team. Blissey is great support, but what do you need heal bell for? Blaziken should never come out and get statused until all is ready. And when he does come out, he can protect and then outspeed almost everything (other than maybe a darkrai, or a confuse ray, or lol scarf breloom?)
Heal Bell's for Wob, mainly, or otherwise Groudon and Arceus. Wob takes the status like WoW or Toxic or something, and then sets up a Safeguard, and then I heal him later with Heal Bell. Otherwise I have it for when Groudon or Arceus get Burned or Paralyzed or something.

Blazikens fears - Extreme speed Arceus, Scizor early, Sucker Punch, Protect, Resistance dancing making you take recoil, and other things. If you had entry hazards, you wouldn't need to worry about resistance dancing.
I don't really have Blaziken out so early unless I see a huge hole in my opponent's team, usually they're worn down enough so that even if they switch around they get KO'd and can't shuffle around with resisting walls. If they have something like Giratina or Lugia or something annoying like that, I make sure that those are out of the way first. I have Stealth Rock setup anyways just to help out a bit, but really, this is more of a playstyle thing than something to change my team for, as it's just a matter of taking out Blaziken's threats first before sending him out.

Also, believe it or not, Scarfed Terrakion will outspeed your Arceus... something to note, it may not OHKO you, So you probably can kill it with grass knot, but it is something to note. Also, Blaziken and arceus may need to be wary of focus sash wearers.
Yeah, I think I saw that before, but he's still not really a problem. Even if Arceus fails, Groudon handles him just as well, and Wob can revenge kill as a last resort. And even after all that, as long as I find an opportunity to give Blaziken two Speed Boosts (switch in safely, then Protect against Terrakion), then even Terrakion's not a big problem.

Focus Sash wearers already take a bit of chip from Stealth Rock, so no problem there I guess. Otherwise they usually get taken care of by Darkrai in some way.

I think this team is good, but the darkrai lead is really what's the power here, Best of luck to you!
Thanks a lot! And yeah, Darkrai is essential in this team, he shuts down many problematic Pokemon for Blaziken, and provides safe setups and switches for whatever I want. Good luck with your team as well!

The team's got a bit of holes, most notably the one to powerful psychics. Deoxys-A (and a fairly competent player) can wreck shop when wob is gone. He/She can freely focus blast and granted it hits will deal good damage to most of your team and your desired darkrai switch.

SubCalm Mind Mewtwo can also do considerable work on your team.
Eh, I could see Deoxys being a problem if it's late-game, but so far I've only ran into it as a lead against Darkrai, where Darkrai can either OHKO it or put it to Sleep, and if I somehow screwed that up, then Wob will definitely be around anyway. So yeah, I guess Deoxys-A would hurt my team, but I need more match-up experience against a reserved Deoxys-A sweeper to really know what I would try against it.

Same goes for SubCM Mewtwo. The few times I faced a SubMewtwo, I managed to nip it in the bud by some combinations of Paralysis into Encore, which let me take it out with Groudon, and another time I managed to get Darkrai in safely, and the other time I remember I had my Blaziken set up to OHKO it anyway. So yeah, that's another thing that I need more experience seeing to really understand how it affects my team.

Thanks for giving me some food for thought though! I'll definitely think about how to deal with those guys/sets if they show up!

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, as I said before, your team is weak to sun offense. Once Darkrai out of the way (a shaky check, btw), Blaziken smashes through your team. You also don't have a reliable switch in to Specs Reshiram and Kyruem-W, as with Sun, they'll get past Chansey. It also doesn't help that you have no Dragon resists. As such, I suggest changing Arceus-Grass to Stone Edge Arceus-Steel, as it gives you a Dragon resist and with Will-O-Wisp, it gives you a way to deal with EKiller Arceus, which also gives you problems. That, and it lures in Ho-Oh, only for it to die to Stone Edge. However, that doesn't help with the Kyruems, so I'm suggesting Haban Berry Kyruem-White over Wobba, which isn't pulling its weight imo. With that, you outpace Specs Resh and Tie with Specs Kyruem-White, and if they happen to be scarfed, you can take the Dragon-type attack thanks to Haban. Of course, this means keeping hazards off the feild, but if you play good with Scarf Darkrai, you should be fine. You also need something for Kyroge, if you decide to change your Arceus. For this, I suggest tryingSoul Dew Latias over Chansey, as it makes a reliable switch to Kyorge and gives your team a Ground immunity. It also has great special bulk due to Soul Dew, and unlike Chansey, it packs offense. Finally, change Blaziken's item to Life Orb, as it needs the power to get past Pokemon such as Bulky Arceus. Besides, even with Leftys, Blaziken is frail. Also, use Overheat over T-Wave on Groundon. With Overheat, you bait Ferrothorn and Forry and Skarm and can get all three with Overheat, which you say your Groundon does, bait them out, but T-Wave isn't effecting them and your team has enough Speed as is.

So, in summary.

Arceus-Steel > Arceus-Grass

Pros: Dragon-resist, which your team needs, SD Arceus check, Stone Edge to deal with Ho-Oh

Cons: Can't switch into Groundon or Orge anymore, though you can nail Groundon on the switch with Will-O

Haban Berry Kyruem-White > Wobba

Pros: Outpacing Specs Resh, Tieing with Specs Kyruem-White, nailing both if Scarfed thanks to Haban (remember to limit entry hazards though and damage since it needs HP to tank those attacks!)

Cons: Losing Wobba, which does Trap Pokemon, making it easier on the team to perform

Soul Dew Latias > Chansey

Pros: Ground immunity, Orge switch in, nice bulk and power with Soul Dew, plus base 110 Speed to outpace alot of Ubers, solid check to Blaziken

Cons: Losing Heal Bell, so you'll have to play even more carefully to avoid status

Life Orb > Leftys on Blazkien

Pros: More Power

Cons: None really, never got why people use Leftys

Overheat > T-Wave on Groundon

Pros: When you bait the steels, you KO them as well

Cons: Getting faster Pokemon, such as Mewtwo and Choice Scarfers, crippled with T-Wave

@ Iron Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head / Roar

@ Haban Berry
Trait: Turboblaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature / Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Fusion Flare / Roost

@ Soul Dew
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 52 HP / 204 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- Grass Knot / Psyshock

Good Luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)