There Were 190 Pokémon!

Edit: Oh, and Clefable is 4'03'' tall an weighs 88.2lbs, while Gengar is 4'11'' tall and weighs 89.3lbs. Kind of weird for a shadow to be heavier that it's physicall counterpart, don't you think?
It's worth pointing out that Gastly and Haunter indeed weigh about .2 lbs, but for some reason Gengar weighs a huge amount more than they do. It's really weird, and I almost wonder if it wasn't originally some sort of error since Gengar really doesn't seem that much more substantial than Haunter...

They're really inconsistent with the weight of Ghost-types, come to think of it. One one hand you have things like Gastly/Haunter, the Misdreavus line, and most first-stages, on the other you have things like Gengar, Dusknoir, and Spiritomb (why does it weigh almost 250 pounds? Even if they're counting that rock it comes out of, that's still excessive).

Spiritomb is #108 in the Sinnoh dex, supposedly formed from 108 spirits, and its weight in metric is 108 kg. That's that little question answered.

This definitely makes sense, like people before me have said. the GSC pokemon have always seemed to have a similar design to RBY pokemon.

Never like Gen III or V. Don't mind IV

How. How do later generations have less similar designs? It's not like any pkmn look the same. Style wise? Yes, the finalized design and proper official art has always been done by Sugimori. Even with BW when they DID say that this time they had several new artists to come up with the concepts,
it's still obvious that they underwent a pokemonisation process.

My point is that if we could magically switch gen I and gen V pokemon. People would be saying the same stuff about how gen I had better designs. Except I'm sure people would be pointing out how suddenly so many just get a bit bigger or grow more heads upon evolution :P

How. How do later generations have less similar designs? It's not like any pkmn look the same. Style wise? Yes, the finalized design and proper official art has always been done by Sugimori. Even with BW when they DID say that this time they had several new artists to come up with the concepts,
it's still obvious that they underwent a pokemonisation process.

My point is that if we could magically switch gen I and gen V pokemon. People would be saying the same stuff about how gen I had better designs. Except I'm sure people would be pointing out how suddenly so many just get a bit bigger or grow more heads upon evolution :P
No no, he doesn't mean it on a bad way and no one is saying Generation V have bad designs.

Just look at Gen I and Gen II Pokémon, a lot of them are more faitful to the animal they are trying to portray than in previous generations (with some exceptions) and are also less colourful: A lot of those Pokémon had palettes of very similar colours and tones (again, with some exceptions) while contrast and saturated colours are much more common in Generations III to V.

Also, organic shapes and symmetry were prevalent in the first two gens along with the lack of patterns made with man-made stylized symbols that obviously have no place in anything that isn't altered by humans (flowers ☼ like Munna's, plus+ and minus- in Plusle and Minun, musical notes ♪ like Meloetta's, etc) while future gens go for more risky designs choices for mostly of their Pokémon.

That said, my favorite Pokémon design-wise are Gyarados, Milotic, Metagross, Rotom, Chandelure and Kyogre.

I think design has developed along with the series...we have access to a lot better equipment to do renders, drawings, and designs of pokemon than we used to as well.

I think design has developed along with the series...we have access to a lot better equipment to do renders, drawings, and designs of pokemon than we used to as well.
And Game Freak has now a big design department which means a lot of people giving their ideas and such.

It's kinda cool and heartwarming to know that Pokémon are now designed by a big group of people (18).

No no, he doesn't mean it on a bad way and no one is saying Generation V have bad designs.

Just look at Gen I and Gen II Pokémon, a lot of them are more faitful to the animal they are trying to portray than in previous generations (with some exceptions) and are also less colourful: A lot of those Pokémon had palettes of very similar colours and tones (again, with some exceptions) while contrast and saturated colours are much more common in Generations III to V.

Also, organic shapes and symmetry were prevalent in the first two gens along with the lack of patterns made with man-made stylized symbols that obviously have no place in anything that isn't altered by humans (flowers ☼ like Munna's, plus+ and minus- in Plusle and Minun, musical notes ♪ like Meloetta's, etc) while future gens go for more risky designs choices for mostly of their Pokémon.

That said, my favorite Pokémon design-wise are Gyarados, Milotic, Metagross, Rotom, Chandelure and Kyogre.
But its so vague and full of exceptions that you would have to check individual pokemon, rate their contrasting colours and check for patterns, then count them just to get something like "its true, theres differences of 10-20 between generations".
So again, comparing pokemon by packing hundreds of them into one bunch and comparing those instead, doesn't make sense.
Especially as each generation was the result of a different approach, be it to add extra stuff, evos and legendaries, or to add plenty of regular pokes to replace old roles.... So people can talk about how they like certain kinds of generations differently, but thats far from seriously comparing the designs.

If anyone compares pokemon by generation, they'll just throw nostalgia at you 99% of the time as they don't even remember half of them if they try without checking.

or the designs could be "different" due to the fact of where the pokemon are. Johto and kanto border eachother and arent far apart at all. Where all the other countries are far apart from eachother. http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/

It makes sense that designs would change because if you look at animals in the real world, for example, a mountain lion(cougar) looks a lot different than a tiger or cheetah. and Canada has similar animals to America since they share a border
A similar pokemon comparison could be meowth and purrlion.

this is speculation of course because the changes in appearances of pokemon could be an accident and just due to the different designers or on purpose to give you the feeling your actually in a different region far from kanto/johto

Edit: well the map is out dated and i dont see any citations that say its official. You get the general idea from a map like that hopefully

actually now that i think it makes sence as donphan was in the first pokemon movie (mewtwo's revenge) and that was still part of season 1 so yeah :) makes scence to me :)

I had a theory about Electabuzz, Magmar and Jynx actually. I think maybe they were originally meant to be legendaries or something like that.

Firstly, I think this because they had signature moves. Electabuzz had Thunderpunch, Magmar had Fire Punch and Jynx had Ice Punch. In Generation I they were the only Pokemon who could learn those moves (apart from Hitmonchan). You could only teach other Pokemon (Alakazam, etc.) those moves in GSC, and trade them back to RBY.

Secondly, they match with the ACTUAL legendary trio's types. Jynx=Articuno, Electabuzz=Zapdos, Magmar=Moltres.

Thridly, Jynx, Magmar and Electabuzz are definitely three of the most weird looking and detailed/complex Pokemon in RBY. Most Pokemon have such simple designs, but those three really seemed to have a lot of effort put into them imo, and they kind of look like mini elemental Mewtwo.

So I was thinking, maybe it was originally supposed to be a human-shape trio instead of a bird trio? It's kind of good that it didn't happen, as it might've made the Jynx/racist controversy that happened at the time even worse, if Jynx was actually an important Pokemon lol.

(not bump because of date of last post...thanks, Shuckle Man!)

I always wondered about using the time machine to give a GSC Rapidash Fury Attack in RBY...now I know it can be done with any combination of RBY moves and RBY mons. :D

Well, if all three of them got baby forms in gen 2 (Smoochum, Elekid and Magby) and two of them got evolutions in gen 4 (Electivire and Magmortar), I suppose one can only speculate on what an evolution of Jynx might look like.

Also, the lass outside Rock Tunnel that predicts Munna's design. My money's on some dude that got lost in the bureaucracy that somehow dug up that bit of trivia and passed it along until senior management eventually caved. I don't give gamefreak that much credit.

Pardon the necro-post, but this is relevant.

http://web.archive.org/web/20101130035733/http://trsrockin.com/hexlist.html

This contains all the hex values from 00 to FF and their corresponding items, pokemon, and moves. After Victreebel, the pokemon turn into strings of code the game randomly assigned to the empty spots. Something to note is that all (I think) of the trainer classes are stored under some of the unused values for pokemon. It also seems that 00 is an all around bad number. 'M is like Missingno., but even glitchier. The infamous Cooltrainer move (that's its type, not name) and item at 00 freeze your game. If anybody has the hex codes for the later games in the series (I'm especially interested in B(2)/W(2), HG/SS/Pt, and G/S/C) please give a link. None of the hex values indicate anything about the cut 39 however. But seeing as they're all Missingnos. and not game-breaking save-corrupting glitches, something was there.

breh

強いだね
That list can be found on bulbapedia in a far better format. The hex codes for all post gen 1 games are all niiice and linear (bulbasaur in 1, charmander in 4, etc.).

In any case, this isn't exactly news. As cool as glitches in gen 1 are (it's really genuinely interesting how the game essentially allows itself to shove a square peg in a round hole), please don't further bump this thread.

As cool as glitches in gen 1 are ... please don't further bump this thread.
Hopefully you don't mind this because it's on-topic and contains new information which has nothing to do with Gen I glitches and everything to do with the 39 scrapped Pokémon.

None of the hex values indicate anything about the cut 39 however.
Not quite - cry data in Gen I is indexed by internal ID rather than by Pokédex number, and there's cry data for the missing values. Somebody made a video showing them all off.

(If pressed I'd tentatively assign #67 to Togepi and #94 and #95 - the same base cry but one lower in pitch than the other - to Phanpy and Donphan. #181 is absolutely identical to Crobat's cry in Gen II. The others I have no idea.)

In regards to the Pokemon looking different after Gen 1/2 debate, I submit the following image, which is a hypothetical if Garchomp were released in Gen 1 and Charizard in Gen 4:

I think this is absolutely true, and not necessarily a bad thing (that Charizard actually looks pretty badass). The design clearly changed after Gen 2.

Reactions: JES

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
After all, the designers had to limit themselves with the first designs, seeing as they had to be drawn with the GameBoy's limited graphics. All sprites had to be black and white, so coloured patterns (a staple of the designs since Gen. III) were out of the question. Even in Gen. II, no Pokémon had more than two other colours than black and white in their sprite. It was first when Gen. III and the GBA came around, that GameFreak could be really creative.

That charizard is not remotely accurate
This is Garchomp

yeah he's got a few spikes but he doesn't randomly have a huge black section (I guess an equivilant would probably be his fins I guess), he has a color scheme that blends well with one another and the prominent color is still blue. The red & yellow contrast with it but don't really draw the eyes away from the whole design. 4thGenizard doesn't have any care for that. If Charizard really was designed as a 4th gen dude it would likely look different but not have a terrible color & design scheme

And gen 1 chomp would likely still have the black lines around his ankles, tail and head for the same reason, say, bulbasaur has spots

or why Magikarp only has one loop of visible scales

or why Dragonite has lines

^ From what I could tell, the Charizard/Garchomp thing wasn't trying to be that serious. Regardless, you can't say that Pokemon like Empoleon, Palkia, etc have much more extensive patterning that isn't as present in the first 2 gens. Bulbasaur's spots make sense since it's a frog and all. Dragonite's ventral lines are a reptile's large belly scales, and Karp's single scale row is a simple stylization too.

I would really love to see some more recent unused designs. If there were so many "rejects" from 1st gen, there have to be some from the others!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)