Nov's Novelties

Below is most of the work I've done while at Smogon. Hope y'all enjoy!

The idea of a food chain came to mind when the contest theme was meal time, so I made a literal food chain. Tried to make the mons look as close to their anime designs as possible.
Summer

This came in to my head after thinking about what to do with the contest theme. I was going to draw a Groudon doing something promiscuous at first, but didn't like the idea. A bellsprout gone mad with power is much more humorous.
perspective

The image was desinged to play around the perspective of a wonky reflection to increase the terror factor of Sableye, donning a stunning grim reaper decor
surrealism

probably one of the better things I've done in my opinion. Was definitely a fun project, and I finally learned how to do sunlight (I made that part up as I went along)

Made through editing pictures

Made through editing pictures

Last edited:
omg that sawsbuck is amazing <3

I also love the glowing red lines on Kyogre

and Bellsprout is hilarious xD

I love that food chain picture, the picture is posed really well and the mons are picked well and its done well and its funny, and that's why you're tied for second on the MAC poll!

Also I was flicking through the hide tags and then I opened on Sawsbuck and I was like holy shit this is amazing. Which it is. I'd love to see some more in that realistic style if you have the time, the brushwork is fabulous

I love that food chain picture, the picture is posed really well and the mons are picked well and its done well and its funny, and that's why you're tied for second on the MAC poll!

Also I was flicking through the hide tags and then I opened on Sawsbuck and I was like holy shit this is amazing. Which it is. I'd love to see some more in that realistic style if you have the time, the brushwork is fabulous
Uhh... I don't know what to do next. Any requests?

Can I request a realistic Ludicolo please! Thank you!
Also, you've caught my eye as an artist before, especially the MAC entry. The CAP3 haz-mat flamethrower gecko was really good. The only reason I didn't comment about it was because I was banned, for being a tw*t. Oh well!

your line art could use some work, but like everyone else i dig the brushwork on sawsbuck
yeah I know. Its because I have to make them by hand instead of a tablet. I'm still very new to digital art. Just got serious about it about 2 weeks ago. I'll get better over time tho.

EDIT: Just finished Purugly for Rittercat. I will start on other requests soon. Maybe not today, but soon.

Oh my oh my oh my that is a simply glorious purugly thank you very much. I just love he brushwork you use for fur and such, it creates such a great effect :)
luvdisced

@RitterCat - Thank you! You're very welcome.

Here is an update of the darkrai I'm working on.

I'm having a small amount of trouble with the realistic part because I have nothing to base darkrai off of, but I'm doing my best. Any suggestions on things I can look at/ take inspiration from?
I'm possibly thinking about changing Darkrai's hair and shoulder spikes into a smokey-like substance. Is that a good idea do you think?

I am digging this realistic style (the fur is really defined) and I do agree on your lineart needing work (it's hard to do but you can do it! ^^)
May I request a realistic Scrafty if you have time?

OF COURSE FATECRASHERS! Why did I not think of this before. The similarities are absolutely uncanny! both cause horrible nightmares, and both quite often get beat to death by fighting types when prowling around at night, yet they always come back because people like them for some reason.

and sure bluehoundoom. I try to fufill all requests.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Wow I really love the Sawsbuck, it has such a neat sheen to it.

This is some great stuff, hope you decide to stick around for a while ^.^

Thanks Oglemi! I plan on staying for a few months, but then I'm off to basic training in the Navy. It may be a while before I get back once that happens, but I'll be back eventually.

Also I just finished Darkrai and hope everyone enjoys him as much as I enjoyed making him.

Edit: Poppy's Lucario is next!!!

absolutely love the realistic textures on the Darkrai :D

I'd love to see you do a badass Volcarona in this style if you have the time :)

absolutely love the realistic textures on the Darkrai :D

I'd love to see you do a badass Volcarona in this style if you have the time :)
Thanks very much. Volcarona happens to be one of my favorite pokemon, so I'd love to do one.

Been busy with the Smog and the Navy, but I've finally had time to work on Lucario today.
Here's what I got so far

I looked at a bunch of pictures of Jackals for this one. They have very speckled fur. Tried to emulate that. Another interesting thing I found out about Jackals is that they have very hard-to-distinguish pupils. The proportions if this piece are a bit janky tho. Lucarios thin pointy nose, when converted to real life looked weird. Had to mess with it a bunch. It'll look way cooler when I add the huge ears and hair...knob...things that Lucario has

Edit: Just worked on the proportions again. I fixed the right eye. It doesn't look like its bulging out of its socket anymore, like it is in this picture. Any other fixes anyone can see?

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i really like the fur texture brush you use, and the blue is very very pleasing

amazing work man, i really admire your style

kinda looks like he has cataracts though haha

kinda looks like he has cataracts though haha
DOESN'T IT THO!
I only did its eyes like that because the Jackal I used had like NO pupils. I looked at another picture and saw the same thing. I finally found a normal one, but I had already done the eyes and was happy with them, so yeah, thats why that happened. Lol sorry

I really like these realistic pokemon, and Lucario looks outstanding. I think it could possibly looke even better with its mouth open, to show the animalistic side of Lucario. Just a suggestion...

I really like these realistic pokemon, and Lucario looks outstanding. I think it could possibly looke even better with its mouth open, to show the animalistic side of Lucario. Just a suggestion...
I would, but I need to get on to that Ludicolo you requested, not to mention I was kind of an idiot with the Lucario layers, so it would be next to impossible to change much at this point without erasing half of Lucario's face, let alone its entire mouth.

Lol I have no idea how to even begin drawing a Ludicolo. Its a mexican pineapple duck and one of the most cartoony pokemon in existence. I just don't know what to do with it. We'll see what I come up with. This will definitely be my biggest challenge yet!

EDIT: Lol just worked on a rough draft. I'm not sure how realistic it'll look (I'll certainly do my best), but he's gunna look SO friken hilarious.

I just can't get over how lovely your brush strokes are and how well they work at emulating fur but I am very excited as to how you will deal with Ludicolo haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)