/Smeargle/: Calling all Artist Badgers!

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello!

As many of you will already know, due to Desolate's unauthorised outburst on the matter, a section of the site dedicated to Smeargle's Studio has been in the works for a long while now. With your help, we can make a final push in productivity, so that the content is ready to go live!

What's more, this final push doesn't require much work on your behalf: all you have to do is write your own Artist Page, with a couple of sample images and some text about your style and personality. An excellent example by the ever-brilliant Birkal can be found here. If you need help constructing your page, just talk to Birkal or myself -- in addition to us, many people on #smeargle can help you.

N.B.: We're looking to use the format on Birkal's page ["Who is x?"; "Achievements"] with no more than three images per page.

You can help even more in two ways:

1. Auditing: naturally, grammar mistakes and typos will occur. If you can filter these out if and when they occur, it would be great: another pair of eyes can't hurt.
  2. Other Profiles: now, don't jump into this one straight away! However, there will be some artists who are inactive, but still deserve a page. When, closer to the time, we can ascertain who these people are, we will write their pages for them -- you may be able to help.
There is no particular deadline for this project, but -- as with anything -- it would be nice to get it up as quickly as possible. The whole process should move far more quickly now that I'm on summer break.

Good luck!

~ Alch

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hiya! As Alch mentioned, I'm here to help with any aspect of this project that needs to be dealt with site-wise. If you don't know how to navigate the SCMS, please post your autobiography within this thread. I'll add in the HTML and cache it myself; no worries. Also, please include a few images that you've drawn so that I can add those in to the biography. Oh, and please link me to your art thread so I can add it in! If you have any questions, feel free to PM either Alchemator or I.

I'm not as lax as Alch is, so I'd like to request that you write your autobiography within two weeks. That gives us until July 28th to get these figured out. By then, I'd like to be able to sit down and decide which pages need to be written due to the artist being inactive. This seriously shouldn't take you that long. It took me under thirty minutes to complete mine, haha. Just get it done as soon as you can. Besides, it's fun!

Also, if we could have some GP people following this project for any grammatical errors, that'd be awesome. If you could just make the change directly in the SCMS, I'll cache that for you too. Thanks for your time!

Alchemator

Yes, that is why this topic is named /Smeargle/: Calling all Artist Badgers!.

This is more incentive for you to get a badge! :)

Artist Badger RitterCat reporting for duty! I'm nearly back to school but I have a free day to work on this tomorrow so hopefully I can get my bit up soon.

Also I am conveniently on the GP team so if you want me to look over anything I'll be glad to help n_n

Glad to see this getting fully under way, I've been looking forward to this for a while :)
Alch is best

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hihihi What? I can GP and HTML when available I guess >.>

Ehh question though. Will images be hosted on smogon or can we use links from hosting sites? I take it there's no set format? Thanks ^_^

Alchemator

Ehh question though. Will images be hosted on smogon or can we use links from hosting sites? I take it there's no set format? Thanks ^_^
Images should be hosted on Smogon. Birkal can help with that. I think they have to be .png to be hosted on Smogon, but I'm not sure about that.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Images should be hosted on Smogon. Birkal can help with that. I think they have to be .png to be hosted on Smogon, but I'm not sure about that.
Yep, I can do this. They must be in .png format to be hosted on Smogon. It's really simple to do it by yourself if you have a badge. You can upload them here and the final result can be found on this page. If you can't figure it out/don't want to, just post your art in this thread. I'll make sure to get it all uploaded for you!

Edit: V0x is right. Just post your images here and I'll upload 'em all.

What exactly does one do to get a badge? From what I can tell, its like community service or something?

I didn't see any answers to this question in the rules, so I figured it would be an appropriate question to ask on this thread.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What exactly does one do to get a badge? From what I can tell, its like community service or something?

I didn't see any answers to this question in the rules, so I figured it would be an appropriate question to ask on this thread.
To get an Artist badge, contribute artwork to the main Smogon website, the most obvious ways to this would be via working on The Smog, Smogon's competitive battling e-zine, or provide illustrations for Smogon's Pokemon articles, through the Art for Articles thread right here in Smeargle's Studio. If you're an artist interested in working on The Smog, contact me and I'll hook you up.

Alchemator

We're halfway to the deadline and it doesn't look like any progress has been made.

The quicker these get done, the quicker the site goes up! 8D

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
http://i.imgur.com/zdjk2.png may need some resizing
http://i53.tinypic.com/5wlcux.png

would like this sonnet to be included
I went to there to find that mind I lost
and bought a heart in there of such great price
clockwork and shiny black of red the cost
a flow of love, slowly, to heal, how nice

oh where is there, oh when did Loveless give
the right to buy our heart with coins of blood?
for loss of hue in skins is loss to live
and feelings caught are stuck among the flood

the nicest people give a hand in aid
and hardly care for wrongs of yours un-stowed
but you just try to live among the shade
the gears of hearts do turn a standard code

but t'last the moment is when clockwork breaks
a voice will tell us love and please to wake
My stream of art is very inconsistent but I love waterfalls, lagoons, and cool very clear rivers. Other than that, I write poetry in my spare time named boring classes, and I love lemonade.

Volmise

.:The Firefly Light:.
is an Artist Alumnus
This is a thing I want to do for myself and will do once I find time in the next few days. :V

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Who is Yilx?

Hi. I'm Yilx.

I like to draw. I'm not the very good, but I do my best.

I lurked Smogon for the longest time before I actually started posting. I battle quite a bit too, but I am also not-a very good at that.

I draw Pokemons for fun mos of the time, usually as a part of request though. One thing you might notice is I tend to draw "moemons" or sometimes "waifumons" alot. Sorry if it is not your kind of thing. :( I am especially a fan of Lilligant and Meloetta-P. Not gonna go further than this, though; I do wish you do not associate me with those people who drool over them everyday.

I also tend to lend myself to making 'derpy' looking pokemon look more badass because I am a fan of things being slightly out of character. I also like to draw the human characters, particularly Iris, Homika (now Roxie) and Maylene. I think they're the best pint-sized badasses around.

Achievements

I have drawn lots of things for The Smog and Smogon's Create-a-Pokemon Project. These are the two main projects on the site that I contribute to on a regular basis.

Thank you for taking the time to look all the way through my page. Thanks and god bless!

My Art Thread on Smogon: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70101

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I uploaded my profile.

About Kevin Garrett

I've been on Smogon for several years as a battler. Art has always been a hobby for me going back to grade school. When The Smog was created and I joined the staff, I wanted to get involved with the art. This was my first time ever doing digital art. My early works were difficult to produce because I was using a mouse to draw in Photoshop Elements 2.0. That involved zooming the screen to 400% and erasing many of my lines until had a level of consistency I could live with. After I got serious about improving my skills as a artist, I experimented with Microsoft Word's drawing tools. They are surprisingly dynamic and I saw it as the best way I could make presentable art. It is relatively simple to use once you have enough experience knowing what all the tools can do and pushing them to their limits. The only issue is that it is time consuming when you are working with a piece that has a lot of layers. Some of the pieces I've made probably have at least 200 layers. It was worth the time for me because the result is something that looks much cleaner. I've tried using a tablet and never quite got comfortable to using one. It is a much different feel for me than drawing on paper or painting on a canvas. Drawing in Word is nothing like either of them because you are essentially moving the points of the shapes around to your liking. It feels more like you are making a model or putting together abstract shapes than actually drawing.

I'm just happy to be included in this project. The other artists on Smogon are so much more talented. It's just been fun to be able to extend my hobby to the internet!

Volmise

.:The Firefly Light:.
is an Artist Alumnus

Who is Volmise?

A newer artist to the Smogon crew, I jumped on the scene late 2011 and began posting my artworks in Smeargle. Over time I've contributed multiple images to The Smog, and have even have one of my very own pieces presented as the cover image of issue #17.

I began drawing at a very young age, however my abilities hovered around 'less than great' until around the age of 18 when I was given a tablet for my birthday. I'd be lying if I didn't say Pokémon and anything similar were why I began drawing in the first place - even now as an adult I can't seem to rip myself from the clutches of these adorable and amazing creatures. As time has gone on, and with helpful tips and critique from many artists I've slowly begun to leave my comfort zones and try new things, including backgrounds, painted shading, and uneven linework. As is very obvious, my style hovers around bright, rich colors, thick linework, and more often than not cute subject material.

My favorite Pokémon are very evident in my artwork, and are as follows: Pikachu, Volbeat, Illumise, and Gardevoir.

My art thread is located here, you're welcome to dig through my works, new and old, and give your opinions of them! Don't worry, I don't bite~!

Achievements
As mentioned before, I drew the cover art for The Smog Issue #17, and have also been granted an Artist's Badge for my work with The Smog in general.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)