Meloetta

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
To be honest, I see Meloetta going to BL. In UU it will either use CM or Relic Song. CM sets make Meloetta very powerful and bulky, while Relic Song can put a counter to sleep 1/5 of the time. Remembep, Chomp was banned for Sand Veil, which caused moves to miss 1/5 of the time. But Meloetta is simply to weak for OU, as things like Latios and Thunderus T and Keldeo are simply better Special Sweepers. It will probably go to BL and spend some time chillin with Kyurem and wishing to soar with Starapter.

To be honest, I see Meloetta going to BL. In UU it will either use CM or Relic Song. CM sets make Meloetta very powerful and bulky, while Relic Song can put a counter to sleep 1/5 of the time. Remembep, Chomp was banned for Sand Veil, which caused moves to miss 1/5 of the time. But Meloetta is simply to weak for OU, as things like Latios and Thunderus T and Keldeo are simply better Special Sweepers. It will probably go to BL and spend some time chillin with Kyurem and wishing to soar with Starapter.
I agree and as I said before, once it tries to setup Pirouette Forme without any assistance from things like entry hazards or parahax it's gonna have a the HARDEST time staying fast and alive. In UU/BL I won't have that problem as much though.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree and as I said before, once it tries to setup Pirouette Forme without any assistance from things like entry hazards or parahax it's gonna have a the HARDEST time staying fast and alive. In UU/BL I won't have that problem as much though.
I don't think Pirouette will become UU. It will be impossible to use if Meloetta A is OU, as you need A in order to get P, and if A isn't allowed then it's impossible to use P. It's going to stay in OU, unless tierers come up with something else.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
So, besides Charge Beam and Relic Song, which other moves are significantly boosted by Serene Grace? Meloetta got the punches from the tutors but besides that, I'm unsure.

Also, this:

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Its more then coincidence that the Pirouette-Forme has the same base speed as Tornadeus-T.

I hope I'm not the first person to notice that you cannot really use Relic Song when something is already asleep since there is a chance of violating Sleep Clause. So if you're running a physical Meoletta with Relic Song and something is asleep on their team already, its pretty useless. btw, Golurk laughs at it.

I hope I'm not the first person to notice that you cannot really use Relic Song when something is already asleep since there is a chance of violating Sleep Clause. So if you're running a physical Meoletta with Relic Song and something is asleep on their team already, its pretty useless. btw, Golurk laughs at it.
Do PO and PS block the move itself in that situation? Because I thought i heard some were that they were gonna make it so that they would block the Sleep Effect once the sleep clause was in effect, but you could still use the move to transform and do damage. I could be wrong though.

Or are you talking about Wi-fi?

Do PO and PS block the move itself in that situation? Because I thought i heard some were that they were gonna make it so that they would block the Sleep Effect once the sleep clause was in effect, but you could still use the move to transform and do damage. I could be wrong though.

Or are you talking about Wi-fi?
Just in general, wi-fi, PO, or PS. If what you're saying is true, then the sleep clause thing is only worried about on wi-fi.

Unless I am mistaken, which I may be, you can use it all you want even after you sleep something, like in RBY with Blizzard spam, but the second you sleep something again by chance, you immediately forfeit the game (you decided to take the chance to break the sleep clause). Again I may be mistaken, but the old language of of freeze clause seems to suggest this.

Unless I am mistaken, which I may be, you can use it all you want even after you sleep something, like in RBY with Blizzard spam, but the second you sleep something again by chance, you immediately forfeit the game (you decided to take the chance to break the sleep clause). Again I may be mistaken, but the old language of of freeze clause seems to suggest this.
Yea exactly. You can take the chance of using it, but if you do make something fall asleep while they already have a pokemon asleep, then its game over.

Yea exactly. You can take the chance of using it, but if you do make something fall asleep while they already have a pokemon asleep, then its game over.
That is, if you put that Pokemon to sleep. If it Rested and hasn't woken up, Relic Song can still put something asleep, and you'll be fine.

SkyNet

MediEvil!
Freeze clause prevented a 2nd pokemon from getting frozen, so you could spam blizzard all you wanted after. It would seem logical the sleep clause on PO and SD work in a similar way.

Just wanted to say that the way i see the whole relic song thing is like Volt-Turning between 1 pokemon which can be a great way to grab momentum. Granted you need some prediction and skill but i can see it as a great wallbreaker and a very tough pokemon to deal with. I honestly don't think the mixed set is completely outrageous the only problem i see is a lack of recovery and 4 move syndrome but i still think that it will be effective given the right support and played well.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
So I tried out Meloetta today with two sets I made that really haven't been talked about much: Sub CM and Chestorest. Both worked quite nicely and I felt they deserve some mention. Do note that I've never invented my own sets before so they probably have some problems:

Sub CM:
Meloetta @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SAtk / 120 Spd
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Focus Blast

Because Meloetta falls prey to status, a Sub CM set is viable to prevent Meloetta from being affected so easily by Thunder Wave and Toxic. This set just needs a boost or two and can break some slower attackers like Ttar

Calm Mind and Substitute are the crux of the set. Psyshock is recommended so Meloetta can deal with Special Walls like Blissey and Jellicent as well as letting it deal with opposing CMers like Reuniculus and Suicune. Psychic is always an option if you want more power or you want a better way to deal with Gliscor. Focus Blast is used in the last slot, due to the fact that it gives necessary coverage to beat steel and dark types who would otherwise wall this set. Leftovers are used over Life Orb so Meloetta can set up multiple Subs.

The EVs can be changed around as you want, but 252 HP is necessary to make 101 HP subs, which will prevent it from being instantly broken by Seismic Toss. At least 120 Speed puts you at 246+ speed, which is needed to outspeed the many supporters that run 245 speed, as well as all Ttars besides Scarf. The remaining EVs are in Sp Atk, which, alongside a Modest nature, guarantee KOs on all Ttars bar Sp Defensive after one CM, though Sp Defensive is KOed after a layer of Spikes or Stealth Rock, which isn't as easy to accomplish with a 252/4/252 Timid spread.

ChestoRest:
Meloetta @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Rest
- Focus Blast

Unlike the other set, this set involves gaining multiple boosts, becoming very bulky and powerful, Rest of any damage and Status, and then destroy the foe. It's no ChestoRest Volcarona, though Meloetta's bulk can help allieviate the issue of not outspeeding many mons.

Calm Mind, Rest, and the Chesto Berry are the crux of the set. The attacking moveset is the same as the last set.

In order to obtain a lot of boosts, heavy investment in Defense is needed so Meloetta can take at least a few hits. Since Meloetta has Rest, it's not as crucial to outspeed supporters, though some Ttars can still outspeed this set without a scarf.

And about the tiering of Meloetta: I don't feel Meloetta is exactly OU material due to technically being outclassed by other Psychic OU mons, yet I feel Meloetta will be a bit too strong for UU, though I never tested it in UU. I'd say Meloetta will probably be BL.

parafusion set?

I was testing out a meloetta lead:
Meloetta @ Leftovers
EVs: 112 HP / 144 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant/Jolly Nature
-thunder wave
-teeter dance
-fire punch/ice punch
-Last Resort/Close Combat

the old parafusion set with two attacks. After some testing on PS, Ice punch is the better choice if you don't have trouble with scizor as gliscor tries to wall with his ground typing preventing PAR. Last resort is very powerful:140 plus stab is 210; however, close combat is much more stable as you don't need to have used all attacks. 112 HP is to better be able to take hits: however, full attack and speed may work.

And about the tiering of Meloetta: I don't feel Meloetta is exactly OU material due to technically being outclassed by other Psychic OU mons, yet I feel Meloetta will be a bit too strong for UU, though I never tested it in UU. I'd say Meloetta will probably be BL.
I do not think Meloetta is gonna be OU either. It needs a turn to set up to become a physical sweeper. Possibly BL, but i personally think UU.

I do not think Meloetta is gonna be OU either. It needs a turn to set up to become a physical sweeper. Possibly BL, but i personally think UU.
Highly doubtful she will be OU. However, I agree Meloetta will definitely be one of the mons to look out for as a possible BL but needs to be placed in practice to really see how she will perform, its hard to theorymon her even more so that its not like she has been in UU given how DW tiers on smogon and other servers have been set. Victini remains UU so I'd say Meloetta is in the wait and see category. But by and large I believe Meloetta's fate depends on how Aria form will perform, I think Pirouette form is well balanced by relic song mechanics, and incidentally will affect how Pirouette form will be judged given that Pirouette has a movepool to demolish Arias normal counters so that unpredictability will play a factor.

Ever thought of reading this?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3469098

Now, I do agree unpredictability will be her main game. The potential for a mixed, special, or physical set are all there. Thunder Abuse with Serene Grace in Rain sounds amazing as well.
Undoubtedly her potential for rain is good just that well rain has a lot of attackers so question would be how does she exactly differ from existing rain offense that exist? Normal psychic while its a good way to deal with Gengar as noted earlier doesn't exactly offer too much resistances. In addition to 90 speed which isn't exactly going to be that helpful in OU. Any case whether OU or UU Meloetta will be an interesting pokemon to see how it will perform its just unknown.

Well in rain her Pirouette Form stomps all over Ferrothorn. My only problem with that is so can Toxicroak for example, and he gets reliable recovery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)