Deep Sea of Mare

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

All recent Pokemon changes are in bold.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH IS NOTHING MORE THAN WHAT I'VE OBSERVED IN THE OU METAGAME. The new Therian formes and Keldeo have certainly made an impact on the landscape of OU. Rain teams are more rampant, and with the release of new Dream World abilities, Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Amoonguss, and Sandslash are starting to emerge from their holes and storm through OU. Several highly noted threats from BW1, such as Scizor [use this bro, you won't be disappointed], Heatran, and Terrakion have tumbled down the usage stats a bit, due to the metagame being more hostile to them, but still lurk the corners, just as powerful as ever. This cluster of offense also leaves a bit of room for stall to shine, due to the release of defensive threats such as Regenerator Amoonguss. The new move tutors haven't proved to be a disappointment, as seen with Salamence, who can now run Moxie, Dragon Dance, and Outrage without any legality issues, Ferrothorn, who can now use the holy trifecta of Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Leech Seed also without any legality issues, and Mamoswine, who now has a reason to run its excellent hidden ability, Thick Fat. Meanwhile, some Pokemon, such as Starmie, Blissey [and by extension Chansey], and Skarmory, while not being affected too much by the move tutors or the newly released abilities, still maintain their respectable usage by an enduring niche.

The name for this RMT comes from the name of the background music heard in Episode 8 (The Red Coin Fish) of the Noki Bay area in Super Mario Sunshine. The name seemed fitting for a rain team, due to the fact that the music played in an underwater level. It's strangely beautiful and calming, which helps provide a stark contrast to the blitzkrieg-esque offense that this team utilizes. Haha. With that said, enjoy reading the rest of this RMT.

[youtube]8sMy1PZpRcY[/youtube]

When I started building this team, the concept that I wanted to use was priority abuse. Since most of the current B2W2 OU metagame revolves around outspeeding the relevant threats while trying to avoid being outsped yourself, I reasoned that priority would be a way to stay ahead of the curve. I went with my usual trio of Breloom, Dragonite, and Mamoswine as a base, since they all have access to powerful priority, and then I added Azumarill so I could gain insurance against opposing Mamoswine and Fire-types, such as Victini and Volcarona.

Since I was using Azumarill, I decided to use Politoed, due to its access to Drizzle. Drizzle reduces the intensity of Breloom's Fire weakness, grants Mamoswine a pseudo-resistance to Fire-type attacks (when paired with Thick Fat), bestows upon Dragonite the ability to blaze past physical walls, and bolsters the power of Azumarill's STAB moves. Politoed itself also provides the team revenge-killing services for threats such as Weavile and Chlorophyll sweepers.

I found a small weakness to Conkeldurr when running through the team, so I decided to add Latios to the team. It also provided another resistance to Ground-, Water-, and Fighting-type moves, something which the team needed. Latios also gave the team a means of crippling at least one member of stall, and if need be, a status absorber. With that, I thought the team was completed.

Upon playtesting this team, I noticed that Latios was more dead weight than anything else on the team. It also didn't solve a problem that was created by entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock, which ruined Dragonite's life on the field. While it did keep Keldeo in check (very effectively, I must add), it just wasn't doing enough to justify its spot on the team. Enter Starmie. It's just a little weaker than Latios, but its increased Speed helps against plenty of threats. It also checks Keldeo, while boasting the ability to keep hazards off the field.

I didn't enjoy having to get rid of one of the sources of priority for the team, Dragonite, but this change solidified the team even further. Thanks to a recommendation from Jirachi and my friend Expert Physics, I decided to change Dragonite to a specially defensive Jirachi. While Expert Physics recommended replacing Azumarill, calling it "redundant," I replaced Dragonite, who actually was the most redundant member of the team. Everything it did was covered by another Pokemon. A suitable revenge killer for Chlorophyll sweepers? Mamoswine has that covered. A set-up sweeper that can ravage in the late-game? Breloom has that done. A wallbreaker that has plenty of bulk? Azumarill also has that down. Removing Dragonite also removed a Stealth Rock and Ice weakness that nagged the team whenever facing a hail team down.

Alongside a multitude of smaller changes made for nearly every member of the team, I ended up replacing Starmie with Rotom-W, a change that was recommended by LucaroarkZ. With it, I'm able to blast through more threats, such as Gyarados, which, upon further testing, gave me several problems. I also didn't really need Rapid Spin because Wish helped keep the team healthy. Needless to say, it improved the team somewhat noticeably.
PHP:
Politoed (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Iron Head
- Thunder
- Wish
- U-turn

Breloom (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Low Sweep
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Mamoswine (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Trick

[BOX]Politoed probably is the weakest out of every member in this team, but it plays an irreplacable role by providing the Drizzle support that the team needs. While I've used the Specs, 3 Attacks, and defensive versions in the past, the Scarfed variant seems to be the most effective variant in this Speed-oriented metagame, due to its ability to catch weather-dependent sweepers, such as Venusaur and Stoutland, off-guard. Hydro Pump is Politoed's most powerful STAB-boosted move available, and it allows Politoed to assume a role similar to that of Scarf Kyogre in the Ubers realm. Ice Beam works wonders against dragons, Therians, and Chlorophyll sweepers, due to their weakness against it. Focus Blast lets Politoed catch Tyranitar, Abomasnow, and Ferrothorn off-guard. While it won't kill them off just yet, it can deal a hefty amount of damage to each of them. Encore is a fascinating addition to Politoed that punishes Baton Pass teams and set-up sweepers, such as the ever-annoying SubCM Jirachi and SubDD Gyarados, and forces switches like nothing else. The EVs give Politoed the ability to outspeed Tornadus-T, +1 Adamant Dragonite, and every Chlorophyll sweeper, and the IVs minimize confusion and Foul Play damage.

Having Politoed in the lead position in Team Preview can force the hand of opposing weather teams by goading them into leading with their weather abuser just so they can get the perceived "advantage" against this team. This can be exploited by the rest of the team, which has weapons that can be used against every other weather starter out there. Due to its access to Choice Scarf, Politoed can act as a great revenge killer against weather-dependent sweepers and the inducers themselves. Once opposing weather sweepers and inducers are down and out for the count, Politoed can be used as death fodder so a teammate can get a free switch-in. All in all, Politoed is a weak member of the team, but it's also simultaneously the most and least important member of the team.[/BOX]

[BOX]Azumarill is the first priority abuser the team has. Due to Drizzle being nearly everywhere, Azumarill gets a great boost to its STAB Aqua Jet and Waterfall, all at no cost to itself. Also, due to the frailty of many threats that are established in OU, such as Thundurus-T, Gengar, and Lucario, Azumarill and its powerful Aqua Jet really gets its chance to shine in this metagame. While its counters are numerous, they're rather obvious, and are extremely easy to outmaneuver. Aqua Jet is Azumarill's best move, due to its ability to snipe powerful threats, even after a speed boost, such as Volcarona, Terrakion, and Espeon. Waterfall helps Azumarill demolish stall teams by breaking past physical walls, such as Skarmory, Deoxys-D, and Forretress, who don't resist it. In the rain, the amount of damage Azumarill's Waterfall can do is comparable to the giants of OU such as Dragonite and Haxorus spamming Outrage. Superpower helps Azumarill cripple Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, and Gastrodon looking for a free switch-in, often leaving them with barely enough HP to continue being problems for the rest of the team. Ice Punch rips through Multiscale Dragonite, Amoonguss, and Toxicroak, leaving them open against the rest of the team. The EVs maximize the damage that Azumarill can create, while granting it a respectable amount of bulk. The Speed EVs grant Azumarill the ability to outspeed minimum Speed Blissey [Chansey] and demolish it with Waterfall / Superpower.

Azumarill is this team's strongest member, and due to that strength, is one of my main weapons used against stall teams. Not many physical walls can eat an unresisted Waterfall and walk off with over half of their HP left, and most that can are often weak to Fighting- or Ice-type moves. The only Pokemon that can switch in with relative impunity is Jellicent, which is prime set-up fodder for Breloom. Azumarill is also why I don't worry if an opposing Volcarona or Terrakion somehow manages to get more than one boost under its belt. This team needs Azumarill alive if it wants to have a chance against Pokemon such as Mamoswine, who would otherwise have a field day with the team, and Heatran, who can give Jirachi and Breloom some issues. To cap all of this praise for Azumarill off, it's one of the most important members of this team, and one that I am reluctant to change.[/BOX]

[BOX]Jirachi helps patch up an issue with attacks from opposing Latios and Tornadus-T. While this team did have revenge killing options, they would often require a sacrifice to be made so the killer could switch in. Jirachi also gives this team some recovery through Wish, increasing the team's durability. The most common trappers, Magneton, Magnezone, and Dugtrio, can't OHKO Jirachi barring a lucky crit; this gives the team momentum by allowing Jirachi to switch off to a counter to said trapper. Iron Head is one of the most rage-inducing moves available to use in the metagame, due to the effective 60% flinch rate Serene Grace gives it. Thunder slows down the opponent's team so the priority abusers can comfortably move along without too much opposition. Wish enhances the durability of the team by providing recovery, and it especially helps Starmie, whose main duty is the removal of hazards. U-turn provides momentum for the team, and due to Jirachi's slowness, often guarantees that its teammate gets in safely. The 32 EVs in Defense guarantee that Jirachi is never 2HKOed by Outrage when it's at full health, giving the team some leeway against Haxorus and other weaker dragons. The rest of the EVs are dedicated to maximizing special bulk.

Defensively, Jirachi's the most important team member, due to its access to Wish and an auspicious Steel / Psychic typing. While this Jirachi can't paralyze Ground-types, those are beaten by the rest of the team. Wish helps the rest of the team withstand the test of time, automatically granting 202 HP to the recipient of the Wish. On its own, Jirachi can function modestly well as an annoyer, thanks to its convenient access to the paraflinching combo of Iron Head and Thunder. Due to the differences in the way Jirachi and the rest of the team operates, Jirachi's contributions can't be measured in the amount of Pokemon it can beat, but in the way it can keep the team afloat. While Jirachi may not be an offensive juggernaut, it most certainly has proven that it's a competent member of the team, and worthy of the slot.[/BOX]

[BOX]Breloom is the second priority abuser the team has and the only team member to possess a status-inducing move. Breloom can incapacitate at least one member of the opponent's team almost permanently thanks to its access to the nearly exclusive move Spore, the only sleep move with perfect accuracy. As mentioned earlier, Spore is Breloom's ace in the hole, being able to incapacitate one member of the opponent's team, which gives Breloom the opportunity to set itself up. Low Sweep has been successful in testing, slowing down common switch-ins, such as Latios, Latias, and Espeon, to the point where Breloom can either Spore the slowed-down target or annihilate it with Bullet Seed. Bullet Seed is Breloom's best STAB move, due to the release of Technician. Due to its ability to hit multiple times, Bullet Seed is a great answer to Pokemon that abuse Focus Sash and / or Sturdy, such as Dugtrio and Donphan. Mach Punch is Breloom's priority move of choice, being able to demolish Terrakion, Lucario, and Cloyster. The EVs give Breloom the handy ability to outspeed everything up to positive Timid base 110s after a Low Sweep and the power to 2HKO offensive Latios with Low Sweep after Stealth Rock damage. The remaining 24 EVs were tossed into HP, for lack of a better place.

Breloom is a problem Pokemon for most teams due to its access to Spore. This can most readily be seen when facing stall teams, who usually can't afford to have a member asleep. Due to the lack of power behind a stall team's moves, Breloom can force multiple entry opportunities against such teams due to its speed and the threat of an impending Spore. Those stall teams that have focused themselves around the core of Jellicent, Heatran, and Ferrothorn are especially hurt by this Breloom. Offensive teams that rely on Latios and Espeon to check Breloom are also crippled by it. Low Sweep is an amazing move that lets Breloom turn the tables on its supposed "counters" by outspeeding and 2HKOing them. If Sleep Clause hasn't been activated, then Breloom is even more threatening. Overall, Breloom is deserving of its place on this team, and will not be changed anytime soon.[/BOX]

[BOX]Mamoswine is the third priority abuser this team has. It's the only member with an entry hazard, and the only one with an immunity to Electric-type moves, making it a major team member. Mamoswine's STAB moves allow it to act as a reliable Stealth Rock layer and mid-game wallbreaker without too many issues. Thanks to Thick Fat and Drizzle, it obtains a pseudo-resistance to Fire-type moves, giving it the ability to switch in on moves such as Salamence's Fire Blast or Jolteon's Hidden Power Ice. Ice Shard is Mamoswine's obligatory priority move, and the reason the team doesn't care about Chlorophyll sweepers or if DD MoxieMence has somehow managed to get itself to +6. Icicle Crash gives the team a more reliable answer when facing down Amoonguss and Celebi. Earthquake is Mamoswine's other STAB move, and the most reliable move to use when facing down several components of rain stall, such as Tentacruel and Slowbro. Stealth Rock is the obligatory entry hazard that EVERY team needs if they want to have an easier time living. The EVs maximize power and speed, and the Jolly nature protects the team from all Breloom assaults, while conveniently outspeeding the common Ninetales and every non-Scarfed Heatran and Lucario.

Mamoswine is played carefully due to the utilitarian nature of its Ice Shard, which can properly eliminate many threats present in OU, such as the Therians, dragons, and Chlorophyll sweepers, and its auspicious resistances to Ice- and Electric-type moves, which give the team an easier time moving around. Every one of its weaknesses can be exploited by the rest of the team, and Mamoswine in return can work with some of their weaknesses. Also, due to its speed, Mamoswine can act as a powerful revenge killer against opposing Techniloom, which would otherwise pose a problem for the team. All in all, Mamoswine's multiple roles solidify its position as a member of this team.[/BOX]

[BOX]The background for Rotom-W is achromatic, but Rotom-W's purpose for being on the team isn't. It might be massive Thundurus-T set-up fodder because of the use of two Electric-type moves, both of which are very important for its mission, but the other team members can deal with it extremely easily. Volt Switch is the scouting move, and while it may not be as powerful as some of the other attacks that can be found on this team, it helps Rotom-W establish itself as the scout of the team. Hydro Pump is Rotom-W's most powerful STAB move under the rain, and is able to score many 2HKOs and OHKOs after Stealth Rock damage. Thunder helps Rotom-W corner Gyarados and other Electric-weak Substitute abusers extremely efficiently. Trick gives Rotom-W the ability to act as a stall-crippler and punish set-up sweepers. The EVs maximize Speed and Special Attack, and the IVs minimize confusion and Foul Play damage.

Some readers may be confused as to why Rotom-W was chosen over other scarfers, such as Thundurus-T, Terrakion, and Landorus. For one, Rotom-W had that advantageous typing that gave the team another option in dealing with Tornadus-T. Also, with its sole weakness to Grass, it gave Breloom and Jirachi plenty of entrance options. With only its STAB moves, this Rotom-W is sitting bait for Gastrodon to come in. However, this team can and will capitalize on Gastrodon switch-ins. Another question that might be brought up is why Rotom-W was chosen when this team already has a Scarfed revenge killer in Politoed. The reasoning is actually fairly simple: Politoed doesn't have an Electric-type move, Levitate, and the ability to revenge kill +1 Gyarados. Rotom-W also works well with the rest of the team, as mentioned above.
[/BOX]

[BOX]Dragonite is one of two set-up sweepers present on this team, and the second of four priority abusers found on the team. Multiscale, in conjunction with the Lum Berry it's holding, makes obtaining one Dragon Dance a non-issue. After obtaining one Dragon Dance, it can muscle its way past most of an opponent's team almost effortlessly. With the three attacking moves this Dragonite is using, it gets neutral coverage on every Pokemon in the game except for Ferrothorn, Empoleon, and Shedinja. Dragon Dance is the obligatory set-up move that helps make up for the lack of a Choice item to boost Dragonite's power. Outrage is Dragonite's best STAB move, and oftentimes is the main move Dragonite spams, until the confusion sets in. Waterfall lets Dragonite muscle past Gliscor and Heatran, some of its usual "counters." ExtremeSpeed is Dragonite's priority move, and allows Dragonite to surprise a Mamoswine or Weavile looking to get a free KO on it with Ice Shard. It also alleviates mindgames encountered when facing down Pokemon such as Venusaur and Toxicroak by assuring that Dragonite will always get the first strike in. The EVs maximize Dragonite's Speed and power, while Multiscale buffers Dragonite's impressive bulk. The Lum Berry allows Dragonite to either obtain 4-6 Outrages or a free Dragon Dance / Outrage on a status shooter.

Due to Multiscale, Dragonite is often played a bit more recklessly than the other team members. When facing a sun team down, Dragonite often takes the lead position, being able to set up a Dragon Dance on Ninetales (unless it has Roar) or the appropriate sweeper / support member and sweep from there. It can rip apart opposing sun and rain teams if they lack the necessary preparations to deal with it, and it can give stall teams a bad time if they lack the necessary preparations to deal with it. Also, due to its access and use of Waterfall, it can even torment sand teams that lack Ferrothorn. To wrap things up smoothly, Dragonite definitely deserves the title of "Best Dragon in OU," and definitely is the most important team member when facing down opposing weather teams.[/BOX]

[BOX]Starmie has yet to disappoint. Its speed and power on the special end of the spectrum are a wonder to behold. The lack of an Electric-type move is justified, considering that Thundurus-T got Volt Absorb, which would otherwise make Starmie set-up fodder for it, and Keldeo isn't KOed by a Specs Thunder at +1. Hydro Pump is Starmie's most powerful STAB move, being able to OHKO threats such as Conkeldurr and CM Reuniclus in the rain. Psyshock is for beating down Keldeo, Toxicroak, and Virizion. Trick gives Starmie the ability to ruin the walling potential of at least one stall member, and Rapid Spin keeps the team healthy, which is important, considering that none of the team members have reliable recovery. The EVs maximize speed and power (yet again), and the IVs minimize confusion and Foul Play damage. Choice Specs were used over another item due to their power boost and potential to ruin stall teams when Tricked over to them.

Starmie is usually brought out to face down Pokemon such as Keldeo and Conkeldurr. Its speed and power usually are enough to see it through such battle situations without sustaining too much harm. However, Starmie's biggest contributions are seen when facing against stall teams, where it can fire off powerful STAB attacks (before using Trick) and cripple key members, such as Blissey and Ferrothorn, with Trick. Also, due to Starmie's typing, it can act as Pursuit bait for any Tyranitar brave enough to switch into a Hydro Pump or Trick. It's these contributions which have solidified Starmie's place over Latios on this team, and shaped it to be a great replacement.[/BOX]

Well, writing my first B2W2 RMT was a blast. Messing around with Photoshop to create the various banners was also fun. I'd like to give a special mention for my two [unofficial] tutees Harsha and Expert Physics for being great, respectable guys and a pleasure to work with and tutor. Another mention goes to Motagua, who revolutionized my way of team building with his B2W2 team, Sacred Rain. The Pokemon art used in this RMT (except for Rotom-W, which was made by Ken Sugimori) was by Pearlsaurus, and all of the banners were made by me. Well, now that that's over with, I hope you, the reader, enjoyed going through this RMT. If you like the team, give it a Luvdisc, and if you have a comment, then post it. /me should stop watching LPs by Chuggaaconroy.

Reactions: HT
Nicely made team, I have to admit. Its a well made rain team. I can't find anything REALLY bad in the team (or is it that I don't have enough skill :/), Though I see that there is no defence in your team. I like your idea of using Priority instead of scarfing half the team, though I don't think anything in your team would like to take a life orb Hurricane from Tornadus-T. Maybe add something Bulky in your team that can take the new Therian formes' and Keldeo's attacks? Thats my opinion. Other than that I cant see any flaws in your team, so once again, great team :D and have fun using it.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hey,
This reminds me very much of my team in the way that you abuse powerful priority to weather down the foe to the point of a sweep. Anyway to rating I spot a fairly large weakness to opposing Starmie. It carries a SFE move for your whole team and your only way to OHKO is Breloom Bullet Seed and unless you catch it on the switch it will defeat your whole team. This is however an easy fix just give Politoed Hidden Power [ELECTRIC] over Surf. You may miss the reliability of surf but other than that I don't see any reasons why not to change. Anyway something else to consider is to take a more bulky approach to Breloom. Aside from speed tying with other Breloom having Max speed doesn't help Breloom outspeed much anyway. A spread of 220HP/ 252Atk/ 36Spe on Breloom should give you adequate speed to beat Skarmory and Jellicent and the Bulk makes it much easier to take hits, something Breloom greatly appreciates. Unless the opponent is a person that dumps a fair amount in speed because they are paranoid about speed creep, those EV's will serve you well. Another small thing I would do is use Icicle Spear > Icicle Crash on Mamoswine. This lets you beat sub abusers and also makes keeping SR down just for Dragonite less of a worry. Although it is slightly unreliable it is highly useful for beating SubPunch Breloom, Parashuffler Dragonite and other annoying Sub users without losing a mon'.
GL with the team, not much needs to be changed because its really good

Hi Trinitrotoluene, rain put great team think Perish Song would be better than the Politoed Surf, surfing can be a security risk if you do not want to put in Hydro Pump think Perish Song much more useful since it can help you stop a setup that is giving besides working to ensure victory when the opponent only has one Pokemon, good luck with the team.

Changes: Perish Song instead of Surf.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi

This is a nice team, however, the lack of Dragon or Flying resist really hurts it. These are probably the two most powerful attacking types in the current metagame and if you don't have a proper resist you're looking for trouble. Latios and Tornadus-T can get a kill everytime they enter the field. Latios switches in for free against Starmie and has nice opportunities on Politoed and Breloom (especially if you've already Spored something), then fires a Choice Specs Draco Meteor, and you've lost something. Tornadus-T might have a harder time switching in and you have better Revenge Killing options but it can still come on Breloom and since it's probably #2 atm (behind Politoed), it could really end up sweeping you at the end of the day. To be fair I really think you could use Specially Defensive Jirachi instead of Dragonite on your team. Jirachi spreads paralysis around which helps Mamoswine, Azumarill and Breloom really a lot since they are slow (even if you can't Spore it, Breloom murders slow opponents), and it's able to tank Draco Meteor and Hurricane easily. Losing Dragonite sucks since priority is always good, but I really think a Dragon resist helps you more, even though you have Mamoswine.

Besides I'm backing up the idea of Perish Song on Politoed over Surf because it helps you a lot in a pinch, against BP teams or some kind of unstoppable sweeper. Otherwise I don't have really a lot to say, great team.

Here's the set you should use:
@ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
-Iron Head
-Thunder
-Wish
-Protect

Good luck!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nicely made team, I have to admit. Its a well made rain team. I can't find anything REALLY bad in the team (or is it that I don't have enough skill :/), Though I see that there is no defence in your team. I like your idea of using Priority instead of scarfing half the team, though I don't think anything in your team would like to take a life orb Hurricane from Tornadus-T. Maybe add something Bulky in your team that can take the new Therian formes' and Keldeo's attacks? Thats my opinion. Other than that I cant see any flaws in your team, so once again, great team :D and have fun using it.
Hey Glory Blaze! Thanks for the rate. More often than not, a team with Tornadus-T will have Politoed following it, so I can switch my own Politoed in without caring too much about its health. Also, my own Politoed won't be KOed by a Life Orbed Hurricane, so I can switch it in and threaten with a powerful Hydro Pump, possibly forcing a switch.

Hey,
This reminds me very much of my team in the way that you abuse powerful priority to weather down the foe to the point of a sweep. Anyway to rating I spot a fairly large weakness to opposing Starmie. It carries a SFE move for your whole team and your only way to OHKO is Breloom Bullet Seed and unless you catch it on the switch it will defeat your whole team. This is however an easy fix just give Politoed Hidden Power [ELECTRIC] over Surf. You may miss the reliability of surf but other than that I don't see any reasons why not to change. Anyway something else to consider is to take a more bulky approach to Breloom. Aside from speed tying with other Breloom having Max speed doesn't help Breloom outspeed much anyway. A spread of 220HP/ 252Atk/ 36Spe on Breloom should give you adequate speed to beat Skarmory and Jellicent and the Bulk makes it much easier to take hits, something Breloom greatly appreciates. Unless the opponent is a person that dumps a fair amount in speed because they are paranoid about speed creep, those EV's will serve you well. Another small thing I would do is use Icicle Spear > Icicle Crash on Mamoswine. This lets you beat sub abusers and also makes keeping SR down just for Dragonite less of a worry. Although it is slightly unreliable it is highly useful for beating SubPunch Breloom, Parashuffler Dragonite and other annoying Sub users without losing a mon'.
GL with the team, not much needs to be changed because its really good
I'm really loving the Breloom spread you suggested. I'll also try out HP Electric over Surf on Politoed. However, I'm not convinced about the use of Icicle Spear over Icicle Crash on Mamoswine. That being said, thanks!

Hi Trinitrotoluene, rain put great team think Perish Song would be better than the Politoed Surf, surfing can be a security risk if you do not want to put in Hydro Pump think Perish Song much more useful since it can help you stop a setup that is giving besides working to ensure victory when the opponent only has one Pokemon, good luck with the team.

Changes: Perish Song instead of Surf.

I'll test Perish Song out. Thanks!

Hi

This is a nice team, however, the lack of Dragon or Flying resist really hurts it. These are probably the two most powerful attacking types in the current metagame and if you don't have a proper resist you're looking for trouble. Latios and Tornadus-T can get a kill everytime they enter the field. Latios switches in for free against Starmie and has nice opportunities on Politoed and Breloom (especially if you've already Spored something), then fires a Choice Specs Draco Meteor, and you've lost something. Tornadus-T might have a harder time switching in and you have better Revenge Killing options but it can still come on Breloom and since it's probably #2 atm (behind Politoed), it could really end up sweeping you at the end of the day. To be fair I really think you could use Specially Defensive Jirachi instead of Dragonite on your team. Jirachi spreads paralysis around which helps Mamoswine, Azumarill and Breloom really a lot since they are slow (even if you can't Spore it, Breloom murders slow opponents), and it's able to tank Draco Meteor and Hurricane easily. Losing Dragonite sucks since priority is always good, but I really think a Dragon resist helps you more, even though you have Mamoswine.

Besides I'm backing up the idea of Perish Song on Politoed over Surf because it helps you a lot in a pinch, against BP teams or some kind of unstoppable sweeper. Otherwise I don't have really a lot to say, great team.

@ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Sassy
-Iron Head
-Thunder
-Wish
-Protect

Good luck!
I'll look into Jirachi. It looks really good, actually. Thanks!

Sayonara

don't forget
Hey,

Really nice team, Rick, along with an excellent presentation! I find that Choice Specs on Starmie isn't really needed, as it constantly forces Starmie to switch-out after using Rapid Spin. I find that a Life Orb Starmie would be a better fit, as it deals 96.29% - 113.58% with Psyshock (Guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rock) to a standard Keldeo, so Choice Specs isn't needed to take out that pony. Hydro Pump still hits really hard under Rain, and you can utilize Rapid Spin with a higher efficiency. Obviously, you won't be needing Trick, so I'd go with Recover instead, to heal off the Life Orb recoil, as well as keeping Starmie in good shape. Despite being unable to cripple Blissey and Ferrothorn with Trick, Breloom can handle those really well. Now, I find that Azumarill's role on the team is a bit redundant. You've got Breloom to check Terrakion already, and you already have Starmie to abuse a strong Water STAB. As Jirachi mentioned, your team really needs a guy that can sponge Draco Meteors and Hurricanes, whom none of your team members can adequately switch-in at this point. To aid your team tank those hits, I'd replace Azumarill in favor of a Specially Defensive Jirachi, like Jirachi's suggestion. Its presence will help you against Latios and Tornadus-T. I don't have much else to add - cool team, and good luck!

@ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Sassy
-Iron Head
-Thunder
-Wish
-Protect

Good luck!
I agree with Jirachi and Expert Physics that you should use SpDef Jirachi over Azumarill. However, you should body slam over thunder and careful over sassy. That way u can paralyze thundurus if decides to stay in (as well as jolteon)or whatever non ghost non statused mon switches in.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
Some changes to the team will be listed in the bottom of this post. THE OP HAS BEEN UPDATED TO REFLECT THE CHANGES.

Hey,

Really nice team, Rick, along with an excellent presentation! I find that Choice Specs on Starmie isn't really needed, as it constantly forces Starmie to switch-out after using Rapid Spin. I find that a Life Orb Starmie would be a better fit, as it deals 96.29% - 113.58% with Psyshock (Guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rock) to a standard Keldeo, so Choice Specs isn't needed to take out that pony. Hydro Pump still hits really hard under Rain, and you can utilize Rapid Spin with a higher efficiency. Obviously, you won't be needing Trick, so I'd go with Recover instead, to heal off the Life Orb recoil, as well as keeping Starmie in good shape. Despite being unable to cripple Blissey and Ferrothorn with Trick, Breloom can handle those really well. Now, I find that Azumarill's role on the team is a bit redundant. You've got Breloom to check Terrakion already, and you already have Starmie to abuse a strong Water STAB. As Jirachi mentioned, your team really needs a guy that can sponge Draco Meteors and Hurricanes, whom none of your team members can adequately switch-in at this point. To aid your team tank those hits, I'd replace Azumarill in favor of a Specially Defensive Jirachi, like Jirachi's suggestion. Its presence will help you against Latios and Tornadus-T. I don't have much else to add - cool team, and good luck!
Thanks for the rate Kira! I talked with you on PO about Specially Defensive Jirachi, so that should be old news for you. For those of you who aren't named Kira, I ended up replacing Dragonite with Specially Defensive Jirachi, because I liked Azumarill better. Kira, I tried out your LO Starmie suggestion, but I missed the power and stall-breaking capability that Specs gave.

@ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Sassy
-Iron Head
-Thunder
-Wish
-Protect

Good luck!
I agree with Jirachi and Expert Physics that you should use SpDef Jirachi over Azumarill. However, you should body slam over thunder and careful over sassy. That way u can paralyze thundurus if decides to stay in (as well as jolteon)or whatever non ghost non statused mon switches in.
I personally prefer Thunder on Specially Defensive Jirachi, because of its increased power and ability to paralyze Ghosts. Also, those that are immune to Thunder often end up losing to Mamoswine and Breloom, so they're no problem.

Changes established:
------>

Dragonite -> Jirachi

Surf ----> Perish Song

252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe ----> 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe

Lavos

Banned deucer.
this team is strong as hell and that's pretty much all I can say about it, priority abuse is too strong for the current metagame. a+ lineup.

Swords dance lucario, although it will have a pretty hard time setting up, will sweep after a boost. Using a jolly mamoswine will be a pretty good solution to this problem, although double priority will still cause problems (bullet punch+extremespeed). Taking a lot of EVs from politoed's special attack and putting them in defense could also work, but it will not benefit your team in any other way.

Also mamoswine should have superpower and Jirachi should have stealth rock.

Some changes to the team will be listed in the bottom of this post. THE OP HAS BEEN UPDATED TO REFLECT THE CHANGES.

Thanks for the rate Kira! I talked with you on PO about Specially Defensive Jirachi, so that should be old news for you. For those of you who aren't named Kira, I ended up replacing Dragonite with Specially Defensive Jirachi, because I liked Azumarill better. Kira, I tried out your LO Starmie suggestion, but I missed the power and stall-breaking capability that Specs gave.

I personally prefer Thunder on Specially Defensive Jirachi, because of its increased power and ability to paralyze Ghosts. Also, those that are immune to Thunder often end up losing to Mamoswine and Breloom, so they're no problem.

Changes established:
------>

Dragonite -> Jirachi

Surf ----> Perish Song

252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe ----> 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
The Ability to paralyze thundurus-t is far greater than the ability to paralyze ghosts imo b/c ghosts are less common and less of a threat right now

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
this team is strong as hell and that's pretty much all I can say about it, priority abuse is too strong for the current metagame. a+ lineup.
Wow. Thanks for the compliment and Luvdisc Lavos Spawn!

Swords dance lucario, although it will have a pretty hard time setting up, will sweep after a boost. Using a jolly mamoswine will be a pretty good solution to this problem, although double priority will still cause problems (bullet punch+extremespeed). Taking a lot of EVs from politoed's special attack and putting them in defense could also work, but it will not benefit your team in any other way.

Also mamoswine should have superpower and Jirachi should have stealth rock.
Hey Asterat, thanks for your rate. Lucario is a problem if I allow it to set up, but it can only 2HKO my priority abusers with ExtremeSpeed after it sets up. After one round of Life Orb damage, Lucario loses to both Breloom and Azumarill. While your idea of Jolly on Mamoswine looks good, it causes a significant loss of power, which can be problematic when facing down threats such as Latias and Dragonite.

The Ability to paralyze thundurus-t is far greater than the ability to paralyze ghosts imo b/c ghosts are less common and less of a threat right now
All of the priority on the team makes paralyzing Thundurus-T much less of a problem. Also, having Thunder gives Jirachi an answer to Gyarados and Cloyster that want to use it as set-up bait, not fearing a Body Slam or Iron Head. The ability to paralyze ghosts is just a bonus. Thanks for your rate uxsee!

Hey there,

This is a really cool team. It really shows how awesome priority users are in the BW2 Metagame, and props for not using Scizor on a priority based team!

One thing I would suggest is switching Thunder for Body Slam on Jirachi. While you become slightly weaker to Sub Disable Gengar (which you can play around with smart switching), you help patch a pretty difficult weakness to Landorus and Thundurus-T, who can come in on Thunder from Jirachi and proceed to demolish one member on your team. Body Slam is also more unexpected coming from Jirachi in Rain, which means you might be able to catch Landorus or Thundurus on the switch. Tornadus becomes a bit more annoying, but you can still Paralyze it all the same.

I'm also wondring how often you are able to set up a Swords Dance and it actually pay off. You might be better off switching Swords Dance for Low Sweep and upping the speed to outspeed Latios after -1, since I believe Low Sweep is a 2HKO after Rocks. If not, you can Spore it anyway. This change isn't really as dire as the other one.

Cool team. Hope I helped. Good luck~

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
Try this on jirachi:

Problem? @ Choice Scarf
Serene Grace
Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
-Iron Head
-U-turn
-Ice punch
-Trick
A tip for all future and aspiring raters: explain how your suggestion will help the team you're rating. Listing random sets without explanations don't and won't help the OP.

With that aside, every other team member I have can do what ScarfRachi can do, all while not being set-up fodder for the Mag twins.

Hey there,

This is a really cool team. It really shows how awesome priority users are in the BW2 Metagame, and props for not using Scizor on a priority based team!

One thing I would suggest is switching Thunder for Body Slam on Jirachi. While you become slightly weaker to Sub Disable Gengar (which you can play around with smart switching), you help patch a pretty difficult weakness to Landorus and Thundurus-T, who can come in on Thunder from Jirachi and proceed to demolish one member on your team. Body Slam is also more unexpected coming from Jirachi in Rain, which means you might be able to catch Landorus or Thundurus on the switch. Tornadus becomes a bit more annoying, but you can still Paralyze it all the same.

I'm also wondring how often you are able to set up a Swords Dance and it actually pay off. You might be better off switching Swords Dance for Low Sweep and upping the speed to outspeed Latios after -1, since I believe Low Sweep is a 2HKO after Rocks. If not, you can Spore it anyway. This change isn't really as dire as the other one.

Cool team. Hope I helped. Good luck~
Hey Mike! Thanks for the rate! To be perfectly honest, I haven't had a problem with Thundurus-T and Landorus. However, I'll try out Body Slam over Thunder and see how things turn out. To answer your question, I've only been able to use Swords Dance after Sporing a random target, and more often than not, that Swords Dance is done against a stall team. Low Sweep seems like a great idea for Breloom actually. I'll try it out soon. For an EV spread, how does 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe sound?

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey! I like this team a lot! First, props for using a rain team that doesn't use Tornadus-T. With Scarf Politoed and three priority users, you should be able to cover just about any threat. Good coverage against a variety of offensive threats, for example how Mamoswine can handle Pokemon such as Dragonite and Salamence that Breloom may have trouble with, while Azumarill can revenge kill Volcarona.

The only thing I think you may have trouble with is Gyarados. It resists Aqua Jet and Mach Punch, and Ice Shard from Mamoswine is only doing around 40% to it at most if I did the calc correctly. After a Dragon Dance boost, it outspeeds your Politoed, and from there nothing is doing too well against it. However, it does need Bounce to really sweep you. However, you could use a Choice Scarf Rotom-W over Starmie. Since you don't have Dragonite anymore, nothing on your team is weak to Stealth Rock and you even have two resists, and Jirachi can use Wish to heal up Pokemon being worn down by Spikes, so you don't really need Rapid Spin. Scarf Rotom-W solves the Gyarados problem, and like Starmie, it can use Trick when you need it.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Hidden Power Ice

Hope this suggestion helped. I'm not too great with Rain teams, though, so maybe it didn't. Either way, good luck!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
Hey! I like this team a lot! First, props for using a rain team that doesn't use Tornadus-T. With Scarf Politoed and three priority users, you should be able to cover just about any threat. Good coverage against a variety of offensive threats, for example how Mamoswine can handle Pokemon such as Dragonite and Salamence that Breloom may have trouble with, while Azumarill can revenge kill Volcarona.

The only thing I think you may have trouble with is Gyarados. It resists Aqua Jet and Mach Punch, and Ice Shard from Mamoswine is only doing around 40% to it at most if I did the calc correctly. After a Dragon Dance boost, it outspeeds your Politoed, and from there nothing is doing too well against it. However, it does need Bounce to really sweep you. However, you could use a Choice Scarf Rotom-W over Starmie. Since you don't have Dragonite anymore, nothing on your team is weak to Stealth Rock and you even have two resists, and Jirachi can use Wish to heal up Pokemon being worn down by Spikes, so you don't really need Rapid Spin. Scarf Rotom-W solves the Gyarados problem, and like Starmie, it can use Trick when you need it.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Hidden Power Ice

Hope this suggestion helped. I'm not too great with Rain teams, though, so maybe it didn't. Either way, good luck!
Hey LucaroarkZ. Thanks for the rate! I gave Rotom-W a test run, and it's helped my team immensely. While I do miss the power that Starmie brought to the team, having Rotom-W finally gave me an excuse to give Politoed a Modest nature. Rotom-W also gave me a Pokemon that reliably beats Gyarados and another that can give Tornadus-T a bad time. I ended up replacing HP Ice with Thunder though. Thank you for the Rotom-W suggestion!

Also, I'd appreciate it if someone could provide a good piece of Rotom-W art with either a white or transparent background, in a style similar to Pearlsaurus's and Xous54's.

An overview of the team as of now:

Some smaller changes I've been testing:

Timid ----> Modest

Half of my team can take on Tornadus-T very efficiently, so I decided to cut some speed from Politoed and increase its power. It works out in some cases, but in others, it makes me regret not having the extra Speed. I'd appreciate some help with this.

------>

Starmie ----> Rotom-W

I've already established this change. Rotom-W helps the team immensely, and Wish from Jirachi helps against hazards.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Hey,

You have a great team and it has been a pretty good read. Since a lot of users have already rated, there isn't much stuff that hasn't been said yet, specially considering your team is really solid. However, it seems a bit weak to SubCM Jirachi, as it can set up on your own Jirachi or Politoed / Azumarill locked on a wrong move and from there, it can simply destroy your team. Something you could try is using Encore over Perish Song on Politoed. Encore deals with most of the threats Perish Song is usually needed for (Gyarados, Reuniclus and other Calm Minders generally) but it directly forces them out, unlike Perish Song which lets the opposing pokemon to dish hard hits before Perish Song makes effect. Encore also helps you patch a bit the Gyarados weakness mentioned, too. Regarding Politoed, I would really keep a Timid Nature since there aren't many substantial KOs you're getting with a Modest Nature, and Timid can help you against Adamant Dragonite, Gyarados, and even Starmie (a bit less now that you have Rotom, though).

Not much to say, but if you're finally using Rotom-W beware of Jolly Breloom (I would consider running Adamant Mamoswine if using Rotom-W) since it can destroy your team with a SD up.

Hey,

You have a great team and it has been a pretty good read. Since a lot of users have already rated, there isn't much stuff that hasn't been said yet, specially considering your team is really solid. However, it seems a bit weak to SubCM Jirachi, as it can set up on your own Jirachi or Politoed / Azumarill locked on a wrong move and from there, it can simply destroy your team. Something you could try is using Encore over Perish Song on Politoed. Encore deals with most of the threats Perish Song is usually needed for (Gyarados, Reuniclus and other Calm Minders generally) but it directly forces them out, unlike Perish Song which lets the opposing pokemon to dish hard hits before Perish Song makes effect. Encore also helps you patch a bit the Gyarados weakness mentioned, too. Regarding Politoed, I would really keep a Timid Nature since there aren't many substantial KOs you're getting with a Modest Nature, and Timid can help you against Adamant Dragonite, Gyarados, and even Starmie (a bit less now that you have Rotom, though).

Not much to say, but if you're finally using Rotom-W beware of Jolly Breloom (I would consider running Adamant Mamoswine if using Rotom-W) since it can destroy your team with a SD up.
He is already running an Adamant mamoswine

Motagua

El Ciclón Azul
Hey Trinitrotoluene, nice to see you again bro. From my previous experience in using Rain teams, I believe that Rotom-W will help you better than Starmie. The main reason is because, without Dragonite, you don´t have an SR weak pokemon to abuse and therefore Starmie´s job is relegated. I would also like to add that with Jirachi´s Wish support, hazards shouldn´t be so troublesome. I would also like to back up DestinyUnknown´s suggestion of using Encore on Politoed, a smart Gyarados user can still scout Rotom-W under a Sub by hiding again under this same move and set-up, gaining boosts. The real prize of Encore comes that you won´t be taking out serious damage unlike Perish Song. Just wanted to back up this two excellent suggestions as other people did already a great job rating this team! Hope it helps :)

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I just want to add that I faced this team on ladder the other day, and even though I knew exactly what I was up against, I still lost 1-0. Granted, the team matchup sucked, but I knew the guy's team, and that in itself is a huge advantage that ought to have propelled me to victory. This team never lets up on its offense, and can catch even experienced players off guard.

May i suggest Rock Tomb Breloom? When playtesting this team, i noticed it was weak to fast threats who can hit hard without set-up (Think Gengar), not in the sense that it was swept, but rather that the team had no switch-ins which meant something was picked off. These mons most often came in on Breloom. Admittedly this was without Jirachi, but if this problem still occurs, Rock Tomb Breloom would help remedy it. The set is:

@ Muscle band
Trait: Technician
Adamant nature (+Attack, -Sp. Attack)
252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4Def
-Spore
-Rock Tomb
-Bullet Seed
-Mach Punch

I used muscle band to bluff choice, the item is entirely up to you.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish

"The time is almost here. Go and lay the groundwork. A world where only true pirates can survive will soon be upon us. Those without power, flee while you can. The tide will bring those of unmatched power and the New Era will begin!" - Donquixote Doflamingo​

table of contents

• Preface
  • Team Assembly
  • The Team
  • Detailed Analysis
    • Latios
    • Magnezone
    • Kingdra
    • Garchomp
    • Jirachi
    • Aerodactyl
  • Cores
  • Another Perspective
  • Postface
  • Importable
  • Threat Lists (WIP)
preface

warning: this intro has a slight case of tl;dr. skip to the next section (team assembly) if you want to get into the substance of this rmt.

Okay. I'm not exactly sure where to begin all of this, actually. I could opt to go on a tangent about the development of the OU metagame from the initial stages to today's metagame, but that would take up more paragraphs than necessary and would just be a waste of space that nobody would read. Alternatively, I could talk about my history here on Smogon and my experiences as a team rater, but again, nobody cares about those sorts of things...oh wait, people are reading this, right? Oh, hey there readers! I didn't notice that you were reading my ramblings. Let's see...what to say here...I wanted to use this thread as an excuse to make this my 1k celebration post, but let's be honest here; I'm clearly not going to hit 1k before the release of this thread unless I spam the various sub-forums to add the 100 posts I need to my postcount, and if you know me, you know that I don't like to and will not pc++ just to hit an arbitrary barometer. Besides, everyone is posting their closing BW2 RMTs, and the last RMT I posted was made in February, so I might as well post mine. Anyways, you know who I am (for those of you that don't know who I am, hi, my username is Trinitrotoluene, and I'm a mentor and Team Rater Alumnus; please send me questions regarding the practice of team rating or team building and I'll probably get to them in a week or so), so I'll just go straight into how tides of a new era operates.

First off, let me stress that this is a weatherless team. This means that I will not actively consider weather inducers as potential nakama. In addition, this is a team that focuses on securing and maintaining offensive momentum, so defensive additions (e.g. Forretress > Aerodactyl) are not needed. Defensive synergy (aside from the whole "use Steels to block Ice Shard" thing this team's got going for it) is eschewed for even more offense, and when this team secures momentum, it's difficult for the opponent to keep up with it. However, for all the offense this team carries, I aimed to avoid using set-up sweepers, in fear of limited coverage and being revenge killed easily, thus facing the possibility of losing momentum. To truly succeed with this team, you need to keep offensive momentum on your side of the field at all times; for example, if you need to sack Magnezone or Latios so Kingdra can switch in, set up Rain Dance, and sweep, then do so! For this team, losing offensive momentum is essentially throwing the match, as it allows the opponent to exploit the team's horrendous defenses.

This team took its name from part of a quote (specifically, the one seen above) uttered by Donquixote Doflamingo, a member of the Shichibukai (Seven Warlords of the Sea), the head of the Donquixote Pirates, and an underworld broker in the New World. The name also fits because of Kingdra's position as a watery dragon and this team's main sweeper. Oh, and speaking of One Piece, if you're an anime fan, and even if you're not an anime fan, you should watch it. It's made me laugh, cry, and experience almost every emotion between happiness and sadness. While the beginning may be a bit slow admittedly, it starts picking itself up a few arcs in. Each team member was named after a track in Pendulum's Hold Your Colour that I felt synced up with them the most. For those of you who equate ladder performance with team success (hint: it doesn't), let it be known that I've used this team to get at least two alts (happy harpy monet, love can save us) above the 2000 ACRE mark, and for those of you that know me, you would know that I wouldn't RMT a team that has problems getting past the 1900 ACRE marker. Enough about me though; let's move on to the next section!​

team assembly

If you're going to make a dragmag team, you'll need to start somewhere. For me, that start was with Haxorus. Now, I'm sure some of you would just love to jump and claw at my throat for this choice (none of you probably would want to do that, but there's that odd outlier...), so let me justify this choice. Whenever the phrase "OU dragon" is tossed around in a chatroom, the first Pokemon that come to mind are Dragonite, Garchomp, Salamence, and Latios. Latias and Kyurem-B also come to mind, but they usually come up from the more seasoned OU battlers rather than the bottom-line trainers. It's only once in a while that Haxorus is brought up. As a result, people tend to under-prepare for the sheer power Haxorus brings to the table. I wanted to exploit that element of surprise, hence my choice in choosing Haxorus.

Of course, steels like Skarmory and Ferrothorn dissuade Haxorus from spamming Outrage and destroying a sizable chunk of the opponent's team. Now, to deal with these steels, I could've employed a strong Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Conkeldurr or Lucario, or sun and Fire-types, as BTzz did with his dragon spam team back in BW1. However, I didn't feel like adding even more of a challenge to build a team with Haxorus that lacked the iconic support of a Magnet Pull Pokemon. In that field though, there were only two real options: Magneton and Magnezone (no, I don't consider Probopass to be a real steel killer because it's so weak). The former brings an element of speed to play, but the latter had more bulk and power, which was what I needed when I picked Magnezone as Haxorus's supporter.

Well, it turned out that Haxorus had two problems: 1) it couldn't hit hard on the special side of the spectrum, and 2) it simply wasn't fast enough to clean up weakened teams. To remedy this issue (and fill the dragon quota I set upon myself), I examined the available options I did have. For special attackers, I had a choice of Hydreigon, Latios, Kyurem-B, Latias, or Kingdra. For speedsters, I could choose between Salamence, Latios, and Garchomp. In choosing a special attacker, I whittled the options down until I was left with just the Lati twins, which ended up just being a question of an increase in power or bulk for that team slot. Since I was all about that power, I chose Latios as the team's specially-based dragon. For the speedsters, the answer was much more obvious. Garchomp was the clear choice because of its base 102 Speed, which allowed it to revenge kill every Volcarona and Salamence at +1, regardless of nature and EV spread.

Even then, I noticed that opposing dragons and Ice Shard users could do a number to the team, since I lacked resistances to their STABs aside from Magnezone, which isn't exactly an ideal answer to them. I wanted a second steel on my team, so I started comparing choices. I didn't want Ferrothorn or Forretress because they couldn't provide much in the way of offensive and were dead weight against any competent sun team. I briefly used Bronzong to see if it would perform like it did back when I made The Shooting Star Project, but with the Landorus ban, Bronzong's flaws became more painfully apparent, and it was dropped in favor of Jirachi, which satisfied everything I was looking for. It gave me a reliable answer to most opposing dragons (Hydreigon has no counters, but it does have a massive share of checks present on the team...), Mamoswine, and Weavile, all while providing the ability to reclaim any momentum that may have been lost due to mispredictions.

At this point, I noticed that the team lacked the bread and butter of competitive Pokemon: Stealth Rock. I also noticed that my means of checking opposing dragons were limited to exerting extreme amounts of offensive pressure with my own dragons and / or utilizing Jirachi to sponge their attacks and retaliate in kind with Iron Head or Ice Punch. As a result, I decided to employ a mainstay of most dragon spam teams on the ladder: Mamoswine. While I would much have preferred to use Weavile as my Ice Shard user, Mamoswine's access to Stealth Rock and better STAB in Earthquake gave it the push needed to be added onto the team.

So, the initial team worked pretty well on the ladder, but due to its lack of bulk, it had a glaring weakness to rain offense, which could batter everything on the team to death, all while keeping Ferrothorn alive, despite the presence of Magnezone. Sun offense became a bitch to play against due to the lack of speed on the team outside of Garchomp, which really didn't do much besides threaten their Fire-types with Stone Edge or Earthquake. Kingdra 6-0ed the living shit out of this team if got to use Rain Dance (I found that Jirachi was often used as set-up fodder), so I decided to make some changes.

Change I: Haxorus ====> Rain Dance Kingdra. This gave me one form of weather control, and it also gave me a late-game sweeper.

Change II: Sub Magnezone ====> Oh Captain's Sunny Day Magnezone. This gave me another form of weather control, as well as a way to reliably KO Ferrothorn and disrupt weather-based teams. It also helps keep hazards off the field, but that's a story best left for the next section of this RMT.

Change III: Choice Scarf Garchomp ====> Choice Band Dragonite. This is the one change I've always gone back and forth on, since they both cover Volcarona efficiently. Dragonite offers more power while Garchomp offers more speed, which keeps pressure off Jirachi's shoulders.

Change IV: Focus Sash Mamoswine ====> Lead Aerodactyl. As time passrd, I realized that Mamoswine's Ice Shard was not as necessary as I had made it out to be when I first started building this team. Mamoswine also didn't keep Custap offense teams from ripping me a new one. To curb these issues, I decided to take a page from dragonuser's fairyuser and use Unnerve Aerodactyl. By the way, dragonuser, if you're reading this, thank you for revealing that ingenious EV spread.​

the team

__
__
__
__
__

detailed analysis

_
Latios @ Choice Specs | Levitate ** Streamline
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
• Draco Meteor
• Surf
• Psyshock
• Sleep Talk

I think Latios is a pretty cool guy. Eh 2HKOs most of OU and doesn't afraid of anything. Okay, references to antiquated memes aside, this statement is probably the most accurate way of articulating what Latios actually does for the team and how powerful its attacks can get. The moves are all standard, with the exception of Sleep Talk where Trick would normally be. This small replacement gives the team a surprisingly solid Breloom and Amoonguss check, while keeping those random Venusaur that run Sleep Powder from giving this team hell. Regarding EV spreads, the standard 4 / 252 / 252 EV spread is good enough for what this team needs Latios to do, but if you wanted to get technical, you could probably drop the speed EVs so Latios just speed creeps the Swords of Justice and Infernape, with the remaining EVs dumped into HP. Of course, you lose the speed tie with Gengar and opposing Latios / Latias by running this option, but Jirachi can pick up the slack if you choose to utilize that option. Remember, Jirachi (not the RMT mod, mind you!) isn't weak to Ghost-type attacks in BW OU!

So, details on how Latios works: early on, spam Surf or Psyshock. However, if the opponent lacks a Dragon resistance / special wall or has a weak dragon check, drop a Draco Meteor and watch things either faint or take copious amounts of damage. During the mid-game, shift to this mentality: 1) click Draco Meteor; 2) watch your opponent take copious amounts of damage; 3) rinse and repeat. Steels not named Heatran don't matter much, since Magnezone can take the vast majority of them out, and Heatran itself is open bait for Kingdra to come in and sweep. If you manage to keep Latios alive to the end-game, feel free to clean house with Psyshock or Surf. Alternatively, if Latios is alive at the end, but can't do much due to debilitating status and / or low health, feel free to sack it so another teammate can get a free switch-in.

On the off-chance that the opponent is packing Tyranitar, do not click Psyshock, no matter how tempting it may be to kill that Keldeo or Amoonguss sitting right in front of you. Instead, click Draco Meteor or Surf and see how much damage the Tyranitar takes. If Tyranitar takes more than 60%, then you can safely assume you're facing a Scarf or Sash Tyranitar. In this case, stay in and finish it off with a Surf or a -2 Draco Meteor. ScarfTar users tend to click Pursuit without thinking of anything else when they see a Latios, thinking that they'll get a free kill; an unboosted Pursuit from a ScarfTar deals 63.78% at the most to this Latios anyways. If the Tyranitar takes less than 60%, take note of any Leftovers. This small action could mean the difference between victory and loss, simply because Leftovers Tyranitar cannot hit as hard as its Banded counterpart. Follow a similar procedure for Scizor, since Latios 2HKOes Choice Band and offensive Swords Dance variants with both Draco Meteor and Surf after SR damage takes its toll. Take note though, since bulky Scizor variants often pack Roost and U-turn, making them much harder to pick off than an equivalent Tyranitar. Of course, Magnezone eats slower Scizor alive, effectively making it a non-issue.

Besides being a wallbreaker, Latios also acts as a check to many different sweepers, such as Thundurus-T, Keldeo, and Swords Dance Garchomp, thanks to its fortuitous resistances and superior speed. Its respectable bulk for a sweeper also helps matters immensely. When facing stall down, Latios's role is condensed to maintaining pressure against the opponent's special walls with its powerful Draco Meteor and coverage moves, wearing them down to the point where Kingdra can run through the team. Overall, Latios may be simple in what it does, but that simplicity is what leads to its incredible efficiency.

(Let it come) Let it go streamline
(Let it come) Let it come inside
(Let it come) Let it go streamline...

•••

_
Magnezone @ Leftovers | Magnet Pull ** Another Planet
Modest | 128 HP / 232 SpA / 148 Spe
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
• Sunny Day
• Volt Switch
• Hidden Power
• Magic Coat

The only Pokemon that resist Dragon-type attacks in BW OU are Steel-types. As of such, if you want to have a successful dragon spam team, you'll need a way of making sure Steel-types don't give you hell. This can be accomodated through various methods, but the simplest and most reliable method of steel melting is running the steel over an open furnace using a Magnet Pull Pokemon, which in this case happens to be Magnezone. Instead of running the standard Sub + 3 Attacks or Choice Specs variants like I did in the past, I decided to use a more unorthodox set that Oh Captain posted in fairyuser. Despite this set's gimmicky appearance, it accomplishes every task delegated for it with frightening efficiency. Volt Switch gives Magnezone a reliable STAB that grabs momentum while HP Fire knocks most steels down a few pegs. Sunny Day gives the team one way of assuming control of the weather, and Magic Coat surprises those slower steels that usually see Magnezone as hazard fodder. Magic Coat also has the bonus of surprising status spreaders, most notably Breloom, which admittedly is always handy. This also helps for when it's more beneficial to keep Latios awake. The EVs guarantee that unboosted Breloom can never OHKO w/ Mach Punch while giving Magnezone just enough Speed to speed creep those specially defensive Scizor that invest just enough to speed creep specially defensive Heatran. The rest of the EVs were tossed into Special Attack to make Magnezone hit as hard as possible. The IVs minimize Foul Play damage, and to be honest, you should expect to see these kinds of things in a Trinitrotoluene RMT. As for alternate items, I have considered using a Heat Rock to extend the duration of sun on the field, but that's just me theorymonning.

In stark contrast to the seeming randomness of this set, its actual job is simple: trap and kill any steels that the dragons cannot kill on their own. As of such, its targets include Skarmory, Forretress, Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Jirachi. Now, the methods used to dispose of them differ from set to set, so I'll cover how I get rid of the most common variants below:

• Specially Defensive: These are easy to weaken. Even if Jirachi manages to paralyze Magnezone, Iron Head is only a 9HKO at best, while Magnezone's HP Fire under the sun is a 3HKO at worst. If Magnezone finds itself lacking power though, Volt Switch is always an option to bring out something else that can swiftly take down a weakened Jirachi.
  • SubCM: Get sun up ASAP. Under the sun, HP Fire will break subs even if Jirachi gets to +1, and with the constant sub breaking, this will eventually force Jirachi to attack, which is all the more beneficial to Magnezone, since it resists the most commonly used moves on SubCM Jirachi (Thunder and Psyshock).
  • Mixed: Most of these fuckheads carry Drain Punch or Fire Punch, which makes Magnezone sad. However, Magnezone can cleanly 2HKO them with HP Fire, even without the sun active on the field, while they can only 3HKO with their appropriate punching attack.

• Defensive: Lumping both the physically- and specially-based sets together because the process for eliminating them is exactly the same. Once Magnezone is in, check the Skarmory's HP. If Skarmory is at full health, use Magic Coat, as Skarmory usually will attempt to either pHaze Magnezone away or set up Spikes. However, if Skarmory is at less than 100%, hit it with a Volt Switch to bring it down; once that's done, bring in whatever the situation demands you bring in. As for Forretress, kill it with (HP) Fire, or at least knock it down to Sturdy range. If it uses Volt Switch, then that's okay, since it no longer is an issue for any of the dragons to get past.
  • Custap Lead: These are usually picked off by Aerodactyl, but if the need arises, Magnezone can put the heat on them (in both the literal and figurative senses). Magic Coat stops both of them from setting up hazards, and neither of them can do appreciable damage to Magnezone, who in turn can OHKO both of them.

• Defensive: Get Sunny Day up ASAP. If this means taking a Leech Seed or letting it set up SR, then that's an acceptable cost. Once Sunny Day is up, smash it with HP Fire. Since Ferrothorn is usually paired up with Politoed, Volt Switch when the Politoed comes in, just to put in an extra serving of hurt to the opposition for using such a subpar Pokemon / playstyle attempting to regain control of the weather.

• Choice Band / Trapper / Bulky Swords Dance: Trap and kill with HP Fire. Magnezone should be faster than them, and HP Fire should be strong enough to get the job done, even without the Sunny Day boost.
  • Offensive Swords Dance: If Scizor gets a boost, it wins this match-up. If it's unboosted, it loses.
I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet...

•••

_
Kingdra @ Life Orb | Swift Swim ** Sounds of Life
Modest | 32 HP / 240 SpA / 236 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
• Rain Dance
• Hydro Pump
• Draco Meteor
• Scald

For lack of a better classification, Kingdra is my main win condition. This is because of its overwhelming power and speed under the rain, STAB options capable of smacking all of OU bar Ferrothorn for at least neutral damage, and respectable bulk for an offensive Pokemon. The moves are all standard, but I chose to use Scald instead of Surf in the last moveslot because a 100% burn chance (old joke, I get it) is better than the extra power IMO. Scald also hits everything it needs to hard enough, all while dissuading Ferrothorn (if it's even alive) from switching into Kingdra and halting its sweep. The HP EVs let Kingdra hit a Life Orb number while the speed EVs creep the standard Kingdra, which runs 228 speed EVs, which are just enough to outpace Scarf Latios and +2 Cloyster. The remaining EVs were thrown into Special Attack for the same reasons as Magnezone. If you really need the extra power though, feel free to use Surf or Dragon Pulse in the last slot. They both are consistent. All you really need to do for that slot is to choose what targets you want to cover.

In spite of Kingdra usually being the team's late-game sweeper, I usually bring it in during the mid-game to blast holes into the opponent's team and disrupt weather if need be. This usually has the effect of disrupting the flow of the battle,

Couldn't have seen it come from an inch away, but it's here, right on time
Wait for the flash of grey and we will feel the same if we can just drift for a while
When I'm back on the ground I feel safe again, I feel warmer...

•••

_
Dragonite @ Choice Band | Multiscale ** Hold Your Colour
Adamant | 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
• Outrage
• ExtremeSpeed
• Fire Punch
• Superpower / Earthquake

But she looked into your eyes and saw what laid beneath
Don't try to save yourself, the circle is complete
In reaching out and into you; nothing else can touch me...

•••

_
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf | Serene Grace ** Plasticworld
Adamant | 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
• Iron Head
• Ice Punch
• U-turn
• Healing Wish

Oh, I can make ya feel so good and yea, turn ya world upside down
Oh, I can look into your thoughts and yea, I can look forever if I so desire
I don't really wanna show ya all that if it's okay then we can call that
I don't really know where I stand now; I can do anything ya want but...

•••

_
Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash | Unnerve ** Still Grey
Hasty | 212 Atk / 112 SpA / 184 Spe
• Stealth Rock
• Taunt
• Stone Edge
• Fire Blast

Still grey, still grey...
Hurry up, my eyes...
Come on, slow down...

another perspective

__
__
__
__
__

postface

Last edited:
Hi!

So I was just looking through your team and the only big weakness that I still see on your team is a weakness to technician Breloom. Hear me out. I don't know how common it is, but a lot of Technilooms I've been running into have been running Low Sweep over SD or Spore or something. This becomes a problem since after the speed drop, Techniloom can "out-priority" Mamoswine and KO it with a Mach Punch.

Essentially, Techniloom can KO any of your Pokemon from full health on the switch with a combination of Low Sweep+appropriate move, except possibly Politoed, who it speed ties with due to the Scarf. This means that once Techniloom gets a free switch, which it can since Aqua Jet from Max Attack Adamant Azumarril boosted by Rain and Choice Band is only a 3HKO. Breloom can't switch in forever, and LO will wear it down, but it's a huge threat to your team given the right support and the chance to switch in.

Other than that, nothing really pops into mind other than a possible weakness to Sunny Day Tales, which with Flamethrower and Solarbeam, threatens a SE move on every single one of your mons.

I'll let you know if I think of anything more! Hope I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)