Regenerator Ho-Oh and Multiscale Lugia

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One last thing PLEASE do not use Ho-oh in the rain! Ho-oh is viable in pretty much any weather except it so just don't okay!?
Actually, Ho-oh in the rain is quite underrated. Like Rain Volc in OU, Ho-oh ends up a lot of potential to a lot of rain teams, like Ferrothorn, Latias, Grass Arceus, Fighting Arceus, as well as giving you a huge weapon to use against sun teams. Brave Bird hits most things you want to hit, while Sacred Fire is still useful enough against the threats you want it to check (Ferrothorn, as well as 50% burn). While yes, Ho-oh is a lot less effective and harder to abuse on a rain team, you shouldn't get into the mentality that "Oh, I'm running a rain team, therefore I'm writing Ho-oh off immediately". Ho-oh is not something you'd want to abuse on a rain team, but is still really good to glue together some weaknesses you may be running into.

Yes shrang you are right, i am very sorry about using superlative phrases because Ho-oh can check a lot of threats to rain teams and it can singlehandedly 6-0 sun teams. I know it shouldnt be written off but like i said i was generalizing a lot

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I've run into a Calm mind Ho-oh running a moveset of weatherball, thunder, and fire blast before. It wasn't in an official ubers match though and I've never seriously thought about its uses.

Seeing as one of Ho-oH's biggest counters is Zekrom, I would suggest Earth Power over weather ball. I'm not even sure what the Water type move in rain would be doing, or the Rock type in sand. I think even with a +1, Ho-Oh could still be relatively easily phased by Lugia, and could probably not Weather a choice scarf water spout from Kyogre. A CM set in general seems fairly prone to revenge killing...

I've run into a Calm mind Ho-oh running a moveset of weatherball, thunder, and fire blast before. It wasn't in an official ubers match though and I've never seriously thought about its uses.
Why not replace weatherball w/ Brave Bird? Granted the whole point of CM set is to use Special attacks and tank special hits, but now you won't be walled by the pink blobs.

Jerp said:
Why not replace weatherball w/ Brave Bird? Granted the whole point of CM set is to use Special attacks and tank special hits, but now you won't be walled by the pink blobs.
Well there could be a few reasons:
1. Coverage. There are many dragons in Ubers, and many resist the combo of Fire-Electric
2. Rain. Kyogre is still the most-played Ubers mon, and as such, a 100 base power attack that essentially receives stab in rain could be useful
3. Even with Regenerator, Ho-Oh does not appreciate the recoil factor from hitting the "Pink blobs" with Brave Bird, especially if it was hurt by SR upon switching in. If anyone uses a CM Ho-Oh, it'd probably be best to just switch out against Chansey/Blissey.
4. Outside of Chansey/Blissey, Brve Bird isn't dry useful without investment, whereas Weather Ball served as a more reliable coverage option than fire blast in any weather.

Also, to all the people saying how it's too difficult to use Multiscale with Substitute and SR weakness, Dragonite says hi. The beauty of it is that Lugia gets Roost via tutor (unless it becomes illegal, in which case it gets Recover) which allows it to reuse Multiscale. I personally see Multiscale as equally viable to a stall-oriented Lugia as Pressure. Here could be a potential set:

Lugia @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/6Sdef (Impish)
Substitute
Roost/Recover
Toxic/Thunder Wave
Dragon Tail
Substitute is obvious, shielding lugia from strong attacks and status. Personally I prefer Roost over Recover, as it gives Lugia less weaknesses than it started with. The choice for Toxic or Thunder Wave depends on the rest of your team. If you have a Pokemon who can reliably use Toxic or set up Toxic Spikes, Thunder Wace is useful as it can potentially let you roost to reactivity Multiscale before the opponent can attack or break your sub. As this is a stall-based Lugia, Dragon Tail makes an ideal phasing move, and dragon types don't appreciate it.

Thoughts?

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have to ask, why are you even using CM Ho-Oh is beyond me ? Ho-Oh greatest advantage is that it has insanely powerful physical dual stabs with which to maul Ubers who are typically physically frail. Idk why you would waste a turn to set up CM to boost your SpA, when you can do that with a Sun Boosted SACRED FIRE itself. AlsoHo-Oh anyway tanks neutral (and even some supereffective !) special hits quite easily thanks to its amazing 154 SpD. Thats why Ho-Oh is so good as a CM Arceus check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)