Bug Reports v2.0 (READ OP BEFORE POSTING!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introduction
[00:25] <woodchuck> and if people are mad tell them to be angry at me​
This thread is dedicated to reporting all kind of bugs in Pokemon Showdown.
Note that issues with sprites go in another thread.
Also, if you don't want to report a bug, but rather to ask a question use the SQSA threads about Pokémon or about the simulator.
This is not the place to post if you're having trouble connecting or if you have a feature request. It is ALSO not the place to post about problems with the ladder.

Rules
Before reporting a bug,
  • ...check the lists of Not Bugs and Known Bugs in the post below.
  • ...look up the relevant moves/abilities/items on Veekun and the first post of the Smogon Research thread. Don't look on Serebii, Bulbapedia, or Smogon's own dex, they are too unreliable.
  • ...if your problem involves incorrect damage, include your damage calculation. This is my damage calculator of choice, but there are plenty of others.
  • ...make sure your opponent's pokemon isn't Zorua/Zoroark
  • ...save a replay (the "Share" button, or alternately the "/savereplay" command), generate a screenshot or copy the FULL log of the battle to include in your post
  • ...make sure no one has reported this bug on, say, the last page or two of the thread. No one expects you to go through the whole thread, but it's kind of ridiculous when three posts in a row report the same problem.
  • ...make sure this bug exists on the official server, and with no custom styles enabled.

If you are posting a screenshot, PLEASE put HIDE tags around it. No one likes having their browser stretched by an enormous image.

Last edited by a moderator:
KNOWN BUGS

Known Visual Bugs:
- If a move with a recharging turn fails, it will still display the "Must Recharge" message in the battle log.
- Graphics for Terrains stack when the effects are replaced.
- If the same move causes more than one pokémon to faint, the next attack with multiple targets may cause their sprites to reappear on the field.

Known Bugs in Doubles/Triples:
- Curse requests a target even if the user is non-Ghost.
- Nature Power doesn't allow target selection in Gen 6.
- Poison Gas doesn't allow target selection in Gen 3 or Gen 4.

Known Bugs in Past Generations
- Gen 3: Wish happens after hazards.
- Gens 3 and 4: Mirror Move is not 100% correct due to its complicated mechanics.

NOT BUGS
- Air Lock and Cloud Nine do not actually end weather or prevent weather from beginning, just stop its effects while the Pokemon is active.
- Hypnosis, Sand Attack, Glare, Eerie Impulse, and Gastro Acid can hit Dark, Flying, Ghost, Ground, and Steel types, respectively. The only Status move that checks type immunity is Thunder Wave.
- Sheer Force prevents the user's Life Orb recoil and Shell Bell recovery, as well as the target's Color Change, Pickpocket, Red Card, Eject Button, Kee Berry, and Maranga Berry from activating only when using moves that have a secondary effect removed by Sheer Force.
- Speed Boost does not activate on the turn you switch in: yes, this is different from most other abilities/items that activate at the end of a turn.
- If Fake Out didn't cause a flinch, your opponent probably had Shield Dust or Inner Focus, or your Pokemon had Sheer Force.
- Wish doesn't take effect if the pokemon in its place faints the turn it would've healed it.
- Wonder Guard is not an immunity: Shedinja is not immune to Ground: it takes damage from Spikes. Shedinja is not immune to Poison: it is still affected by Toxic
- That Pokemon taking incorrect hazard damage is probably a Zoroark (which is a Dark, not a Bug, lolololol)
- Payback boosts damage for moving second, whether or not damage was taken. Also, since Gen 5, its power is not doubled if the opponent switches.
- Pursuit will deal double damage immediately before any switch-out, as long as Pursuit has not been used at regular priority yet. This includes U-turn and Volt Switch, but not Baton Pass.
- Sucker Punch fails if the target uses a faster priority move
- Illusion, Balloon, Destiny Bond, Wonder Guard, etc only take effect if the damage was from a move, not an indirect effect such as entry hazards, Poison damage, etc.
- Destiny Bond lasts until the move user makes another move (or would've made another move, if not for confusion or Truant or a similar effect).
- Focus Sash and Sturdy affect all move damage (including static damage moves like Final Gambit, Seismic Toss, SonicBoom, and Counter).
- Outrage/Thrash/Petal Dance can be stopped during effect and not cause confusion if Protect/Detect is used on the second turn of a three-turn duration.
- If the user faints from Iron Barbs/Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet damage, Rapid Spin does not remove hazards, and Knock Off does not remove the target's item.
- Iron Ball, when equipped by a Flying pokemon, causes it to receive always neutral damage from Ground moves since BW.
- Roost removes the Flying typing for the rest of the turn only if the user was successfully healed.
- A status condition remains on a Pokemon even if it later gains a typing that makes it immune to that status condition.
- Doom Desire/Future Sight do not get boosts from the user's item or Ability if the user is not active when the move hits.

ALSO NOT BUGS (XY Mechanics)
- Arceus is affected by Trick or Treat and Forest's Curse.
- The turn a pokemon mega evolves, its turn order will be decided before megaevolution. Thus, Mega Banette's Prankster will only be effective after the first turn, while a Chlorophyll Venusaur will still be likely to move first under sun the turn it mega evolves. This pattern also applies to previous gens: e.g. in Doubles, if a pokemon is paralyzed by a foe, its turn order won't be affected that turn.
- Ghosts cannot be trapped by any means.
- Toxic, when used by a Poison type mon, bypasses Fly, Dive, Dig, Shadow Force, etc
- Powder moves don't affect pokemon with the Grass type, the Overcoat ability, or the Safety Googles effect. These moves include any having a name that includes "Spore" or "Powder", except Powder Snow.
- Sound based moves, as well as the Infiltrator ability, bypass Substitute. Sound Moves include, but are not limited to: Boomburst, Bug Buzz, Hyper Voice and Metal Sound. See if a move is sound based.

EVEN MORE NOT BUGS (SM Mechanics)
- Dark types are immune to status moves used by Pokemon with Prankster.
- Unlike gen 6, turn order is now decided after mega evolution, so, for example, Mega Pinsir will act on its 105 base speed the turn it mega evolves rather than the turns after.
- Effects of terrains only affect grounded mons. For example, Celesteela would still be hit by priority moves under the effects of Psychic Terrain.

AN OVERVIEW OF HOW DAMAGE WORKS

There are three types of damage: Move damage, residual damage, and direct damage.

Most abilities, moves, and items that affect damage will only affect one type of damage: either move damage or residual damage. There are zero effects that apply to direct damage. The only effect that applies to both move and residual damage is Heatproof.

Examples of move damage:
- damage dealt, during a move that hits, to the target(s) of a Physical or Special move
- includes static damage: Final Gambit, Seismic Toss, SonicBoom, and Counter
- does not include the secondary target of Flame Burst (which would be residual damage)

Examples of direct damage:
- hurting yourself in confusion
- damaging yourself during Substitute, Curse, Belly Drum, or Struggle (but not the damage to your opponent, if applicable)
- does NOT include other forms of recoil (which would be residual damage)

Examples of residual damage:
- all other damage
- includes recoil, poison/burn, Leech Seed, weather, hazards, damage from abilities, damage from items...

Things that affect move damage only:
- Wonder Guard
- Sturdy, Focus Sash, Focus Band, Endeavor
- Illusion, Balloon, Destiny Bond

Things that affect residual damage only:
- Magic Guard
- most other effects only affect specific types of residual damage, such as: Poison Heal (poison damage), Rock Head (recoil damage)

Last edited by a moderator:
When a pokemon dies from Life Orb Recoil (must go first) and the opposing poke that was out attempts to set up an Entry Hazard on the same turn, the EH animation will display as if it's going to miss (goes too far out to the side, just as a normal attack looks, when missed.) The EH is still laid down, however. Just a display error.

breh

強いだね
Again, you can tie. As far as I know, you can't tie at all ingame. There are certain conditions that dictate who wins in various "both die" scenarios.

Again, you can tie. As far as I know, you can't tie at all ingame. There are certain conditions that dictate who wins in various "both die" scenarios.
I would view this as a feature, not a bug. Wi-Fi room battles will mark these kinds of things as "draws" (Wi-Fi room battles actually have a very generous definition of draw--e.g. no self-KO clause).

I don't have a recording for the DS, but this is definitely the case for PBR.

The bottom line is that there are no Nintendo-set rules for single 6v6 single battles, so we get to decide them for ourselves.

i was using whimsiscott and switcheroo'd a lagging tail to a hitmonlee, it outspeeds my onix
I honestly think this isn't a glitch. If it is, the only possible way I could see it being on is if Unburdened activated accidentally.
Hitmonlee's base speed is 87, Onix's is 70. Odds are, the opponent has a speed-positive nature, and max EV investment, while you had a speed-negative nature, and no EV investment.

but lagging tail
Makes the holder move last in their priority bracket.
Isnt that what its suppose to do?
Description from Smogon: Makes the holder move last in their priority bracket. The holder will still move last in their priority bracket even under the effects of Trick Room.

So yes, you're correct. I'd venture to say it was an issue with Hitmonlee's Unburden ability, then. Do you have a screenshot / log of the battle?

When PS comes back online, can you maybe try to re-create it (get a friend to help you--do a direct challenge)?

I'll try to do it myself when I have some free time.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there a glitch associated with Bounce? If I attack after bounce comes down, I've seen 100% accuracy moves miss (like thunderbolt) despite the lack of evasion-increasing abilities on more than one occasion.

I know it isn't game changing, but it's annoying to have this occur.

breh

強いだね
I would view this as a feature, not a bug. Wi-Fi room battles will mark these kinds of things as "draws" (Wi-Fi room battles actually have a very generous definition of draw--e.g. no self-KO clause).

I don't have a recording for the DS, but this is definitely the case for PBR.

The bottom line is that there are no Nintendo-set rules for single 6v6 single battles, so we get to decide them for ourselves.
No, you are incorrect, from what I know.

In generation 5 (not generation 4 to which you linked me; I'm well aware you can tie in gen 4) I'm fairly sure you can't tie. For example, 2 mons dying to LO recoil / attack simultaneously will result in a win for the LO attacker (in the battle you linked me to, had it occurred in gen 5, the staryu player would win). Perish Song results in the death of the faster mon, etc.

(sidenote, that video seems familiar; might have seen it in my PBR days!)

Pretty sure trick isn't working correctly when exchanging choiced items.

I recall having a rotom-w trick a scarf onto my already scarfed thundurus-t that I switched in, only for him to use hydro pump on the next turn.

Can't get on to test, but I'm pretty sure that's how it went.

About the tie...

I have done some forced battles to tie. First with perish song, the singer and the slower pokemon won. Then, with life orb damage, the attacker won although it die too by the damage. Finally, I achieved a draw, both trainers pressed "run".

PD: my english level is low. Sorry.

DS Battles:
60-53940-33112 Perish Song.
52-66455-51927 LO Attacker.
69-36126-53320 Run both trainers.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Copycat apparently does not copy the type of the move you are copying? Perhaps it is an issue with priority moves? Either way, Mach Punch should have been super effective on Regigigas. Maybe Illusion + Copycat is also causing an issue, I don't know.

Sometimes I will switch Pokemon, cancel before my opponent makes their move, and choose a second Pokemon to switch into. The first Pokemon I selected will then be switched in, and the second Pokemon will automatically switch in on the next turn.

For example, if I have Snorlax on the field, choose to switch to Umbreon, cancel that switch, and then choose to switch to Arcanine, on the next turn I'll switch into Umbreon, and on the following one I'll switch into Arcanine.

The two times this has happened, my opponent has made his move pretty quickly, so I can't exactly remember if the second switch is able to be cancelled. Still annoying, though.

i don't have a screen shot but i'm pretty sure that my description of what happened would be more or less 90% accurate.

the bug is: weather is sand and I have a Rayquaza out (meaning Air Lock cancels the weather effects) and then the Excadrill of my opponent outspeeds me. It didn't cost me the game but hey, a bug is still a bug.

so here's what happened:

I switched into my Rayquaza as Excadrill Rapid Spins. My Rayquaza's EV spread is 252 Speed with a Jolly Nature. So no matter what Excadrill's spread is, I will outspeed him thanks to Air Lock negating sandstorm boost. Then on the next turn, I clicked V-create to KO but then he used Shadow Claw before my Rayquaza could even use V-create.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Pretty sure trick isn't working correctly when exchanging choiced items.

I recall having a rotom-w trick a scarf onto my already scarfed thundurus-t that I switched in, only for him to use hydro pump on the next turn.

Can't get on to test, but I'm pretty sure that's how it went.
That's how trick usually works - when it picks up a choice item, you're allowed to choose a new move afterward. (Note: only in gen V)

Sometimes I will switch Pokemon, cancel before my opponent makes their move, and choose a second Pokemon to switch into. The first Pokemon I selected will then be switched in, and the second Pokemon will automatically switch in on the next turn.

For example, if I have Snorlax on the field, choose to switch to Umbreon, cancel that switch, and then choose to switch to Arcanine, on the next turn I'll switch into Umbreon, and on the following one I'll switch into Arcanine.

The two times this has happened, my opponent has made his move pretty quickly, so I can't exactly remember if the second switch is able to be cancelled. Still annoying, though.
This has happened to me too - it's a result of the opponent's choice reaching the server before your cancel; the server then calculates the results of the round, then your cancel and second switch reaches it and it assumes that the second switch is for the next round. Don't know how to help you, though

No, you are incorrect, from what I know.

In generation 5 (not generation 4 to which you linked me; I'm well aware you can tie in gen 4) I'm fairly sure you can't tie. For example, 2 mons dying to LO recoil / attack simultaneously will result in a win for the LO attacker (in the battle you linked me to, had it occurred in gen 5, the staryu player would win). Perish Song results in the death of the faster mon, etc.

(sidenote, that video seems familiar; might have seen it in my PBR days!)
About the tie...

I have done some forced battles to tie. First with perish song, the singer and the slower pokemon won. Then, with life orb damage, the attacker won although it die too by the damage. Finally, I achieved a draw, both trainers pressed "run".

PD: my english level is low. Sorry.

DS Battles:
60-53940-33112 Perish Song.
52-66455-51927 LO Attacker.
69-36126-53320 Run both trainers.
Okay, yeah. I misremembered, and you're right.

But...

the bug is: weather is sand and I have a Rayquaza out (meaning Air Lock cancels the weather effects) and then the Excadrill of my opponent outspeeds me.
Does Air Lock work in all other situations? Please include damage calcs where appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)