Challenge The Gauntlet Challenge

Alright, accepting Zacchaeus' restriction. TMs just became really damn expensive. I'll have to be careful managing my resources.

Just 3 more and I can start (assuming no one has posted me another while I was typing this)

KS, alright then, you are challenged to a Nuzlocke style catching regimen. You can only catch 1 Pokemon per an area and it must be the first Pokemon you encounter. No abusing Repels to control what you get. If you fail to catch the first Pokemon you encounter in an area, you do not get a second chance.

Good luck and have fun!

EDIT: God I just knew I'd be ninja'd XD accepted Articblast adding it to my main post. I'd appreciate it if I got some one time challenges before too long for a bit of variety! Just two more!
Here's a one time challenge! You need to beat Whitney without using any items, Fighting type moves, or Geodude. Failure to do so means you cannot buy healing items until after obtaining all the badges (you can still use ones you find though). You get three chances.

King Serperior: When you catch a pokemon with two types, you must pick one STAB and never use moves of that type. (For example, if you use a Starly with Wing Attack, it couldn't use any Normal-type moves or vice versa)

Jimera0, whenever your starter faints for the first time, you can't use moves of the type used to faint it for either five wild pokemon of one trainer. If this makes the game impossible, then enact it when it is not impossible.

@2sly4u

How many attempts do I get until the failure restriction kicks in? ah thank you

@Gamer40000

I'm a bit confused about your challenge. So does the restriction apply only to my starter, or to all my Pokemon? And only for 5 wild Pokemon or one trainer? That's not much of a challenge. And it also only says for the first time, so is this a 1 off challenge then?

If it works the way I think it does, it's quite simply not hard enough. Losing 1 type for 5 wild battles or 1 trainers once isn't very hard at all.

EDIT: Well Gamer40000 doesn't seem to be around to answer my question so I'm rejecting his challenge for now. My final challenge for the first stage of my game is still open!

Alright Jimera0, here is my challenge to you: You must pick either Cyndaquil or Chikorita as your starter, and once you do you cannot use ANY pokemon that has a weakness to one of the types your starter is weak too. (Screw water-types with their two weaknesses, I want you to have common weaknesses)

canno

formerly The Reptile
Wait, King Serperior, do I also take in Super Effective moves into consideration when talking about BP? Or do we just calculate STAB and it's origianl BP?

Alright Jimera0, here is my challenge to you: You must pick either Cyndaquil or Chikorita as your starter, and once you do you cannot use ANY pokemon that has a weakness to one of the types your starter is weak too. (Screw water-types with their two weaknesses, I want you to have common weaknesses)
Alright, accepted I think, if I got this right.

So I can't use anything (for battle, I assume HM slavery is fine) that is weak to the same type as my starter is correct? So if I picked Cyndaquil I'd never be able to use ground, water or rock type Pokemon correct? Even if I end up ditching my starter for whatever reason. If that's the case, I'll do it, sure! If not... well I'd have to know what I got wrong first!

^No.
Example time: Say you picked Cyndaquil, you couldnt use Geodude because it shares a weakness with Cyndaquil (Water & Ground). Nor could you use Magnemite because it shares a weakness (Ground), nor could you use Pidgey, Hoothoot, or Caterpie, cause they are all weak to rock. But Bellsprout would be allowed cause it isnt weak to Water, Ground, or Rock.

And yes, HM slavery is fine, but if they are used in battle you'll have to lose the battle.

Ditching does nothing to affect what Pokemon you are and are not allowed to use

^No.
Example time: Say you picked Cyndaquil, you couldnt use Geodude because it shares a weakness with Cyndaquil (Water & Ground). Nor could you use Magnemite because it shares a weakness (Ground), nor could you use Pidgey, Hoothoot, or Caterpie, cause they are all weak to rock. But Bellsprout would be allowed cause it isnt weak to Water, Ground, or Rock.

And yes, HM slavery is fine, but if they are used in battle you'll have to lose the battle.

Ditching does nothing to affect what Pokemon you are and are not allowed to use
That's exactly what I was saying XD anyway now that I understand it I'll add it. Looks like I'm all done, I'll start tomorrow. Right now I'm trading over all the valuable stuff from my SS to my Pearl before I restart it, and then I need to go to bed.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like I screwed the pooch on what I was saying. I meant I'd never be able to use Pokemon that are WEAK to ground water and rock. My bad. Anyway, understand it now.

EDIT2: 900 posts ooooo

Hey Jimera, your opening post is incorrect.

The Scramble thread is run by It's A Random, not Im a Random.

Fix it, or face my MEP army. :(

Whoops, I knew that. I knew something was wrong with it but was way too busy trying to manage this thing at the time (it was kind of exploding before it got like really late XD). I'll fix it right now.

Also; got everything of value finally traded over to my Pearl from my Soul Silver, so now I can finally get shit done. Tomorrow though, I should've been in bed like 3 hours ago.

This seems interesting. i'll give it a shot.

I'll be doing a gauntlet of Pokémon White, up to the end of the game (but no further).
Medium to Hard difficulty challenges, please. I hate grinding, but I will accept a certain amount of it (if I consider it excessive, I will reject your challenge.)
There will be NO trades with either Black or BW2 (so no Hidden Hollow, etc).
I will accept FOUR initial challenges, with an extra challenge for every gym leader defeated (total of TWELVE). Gimme some one-time challenges too, not just full game ones.

CHALLENGE LIST:

ThePhalanx, you may not use Fighting-types or Psychic-types in battle.
ThePhalanx, you may not use Healing Items in battle. Each time you use Healing Items in a battle, you must throw out 15 non-Healing Items from your bag.
@The Phalanx: You can only use a certain amount of healing items between gyms. The amount of items is equal to 10 - The amount of badges you have (so only 2 items at the E4, but 10 before the brothers). In addition, you may not go to the pokemon center once you enter a gym, unless you beat the gym leader.
^These two are going to make healing items very precious. I like it :]
ThePhalanx, you must solo the first gym leader using your starter.
And there we go! Let's begin!

You are challenged to never use the same attack twice in a row. In effect, your entire team is always under the effects of torment.
Goddammit this will be hard to remember, I might violate it accidentally, especially while grinding...

ThePhalanx, you must solo Burgh with a Pokemon from Pinwheel Forest. You may not use Pansear or Simisear for this solo.
This might be tough, depending on what I find...

Shadowfax wants to prove that he is the best electric type pokemon. Therefore he must solo Elesa's whole gym without evolving beforehand

The Phalanx, you are challenged to Solo Clay with a Drilbur, without using any x-items. It must be a Drilbur, NOT an Excadrill. You are not required to use Drilbur beyond this challenge

You are challenged to never use a Pokemon that is in Red health; if a Pokemon gets into red health, you must switch out immediately or heal it immediately. If your whole team ends up in red health, you lose.

You must always have a pokemon on your team that shares all it's moves with at least one or more pokemon on your team.

GAUNTLET LOG:
Looking over my challenges, I realize that I have a huge restriction on healing items, both in and out of battle. I decide to go with Snivy as my starter, since I've had enough experience with Tepig and Oshawott, and Leech Seed could be helpful early game (ish). Since my first challenge is to solo Chili with my Snivy, i'll be skipping over catching something in the early routes and focus soley on my starter. Considering the fact that he's a Snivy (and eventually a Serperior) I decided to name him Narcissism.

Upon reaching Striaton City, I started to realize my Snivy was a bit overlevelled for all the pokes in the area. I went and got the monkey from the Dreamyard, and in the process of naming it (I like to type names out to see if they look good), I accidentally pressed 'OK' while trying to delete a name. So I proudly present to you, Chimpaqu!

After easily defeating Cheren and Bianca, I was feeling cocky, so I entered the gym, with the intention of training against the gym grunts, healing, then challenging Chili with Narcissism. Alas, I had forgotten this part of my challenge:
In addition, you may not go to the pokemon center once you enter a gym, unless you beat the gym leader.
So, according to my own challenges, If I want to grind a little before the gym leader, I have to do it using potions, of which I can only use ten, and only outside of battle. FML. I decide to accept my fate.

I grinded Snivy for a little bit, then took on Chili. Grinding is hard with no ethers (you don't get them at this stage in the game), but thanks to the massive PP that Tackle has I managed to save enough PP for the gym leader. Snivy smashed Chili's Lillipup and Pansear (Thanks to a crit Tackle and Chili's insistence on Working Up repeatedly, I managed to take NO damage from that Pansear, which originally scared me a little). So I can finally say:
ThePhalanx, you must solo the first gym leader using your starter.
CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

After discovering the evil organization that is Team Plasma and thwarting their plans twice (first in the Dreamyard, second when they stole a little girl's Pokemon), I decided to take a stroll in the grass before Nacrene City. Lo and behold, a sole Bliztle appeared. He seemed to have been separated from his zeal (a group of zebras is a zeal, look it up), so I took him in. Noticing his great similarity (read: none at all) to the King of Horses and the Steed of the White Rider, I decide to name him Shadowfax.

I trained Shadowfax a little so his level was on par with the rest of the team. I debated about catching an Audino I found, but then I was like 'fuck it, this is in-game, not competitive, I'd rather have his massive XP.' Once they are fully evolved, my trio could fit into a standard NU team.

By the way, this new restriction of having all my Pokemon 'Tormented' at all times was hard to get used to (I kept forgetting about it and almost violated it several times), but I seem to have gotten in the rhythm of it, especially with Blitzle (Charge + Shockwave is essentially the same thing as Shockwave x2).

So before challenging Lenora, I took my trio of destruction and scaled Challenge Rock, defeating every trainer along the way, no problem (the Nurse helped a lot though, since the entirety of my team is fast but frail pokes). It didn't take long for Narcissism to evolve into proud Servine, one step closer to being a regal Serperior. Oh, and Shadowfax learned Flame Charge too.

Leaf Tornado is an amazing move btw. Good damage+semi-constant accuracy drops=fun.

After getting everyone to level 19, I took on the gym and the gym keader Lenora. Herdier wasn't too much of a problem, but Watchog surprisingly was, destroying the rest of my team with Retaliate and Hypnosis. Before fainting though, Servine grew to lvl 20 and learned Leech Seed; I immediately challenged Lenora again and won pretty much due to this move alone.

You guys all know what happens next - Team Plasma breaks in and steals the Dragonite skull, mistaking it for Reshiram (lol), and after hunting them down in Pinwheel Forest, my trio of the elements manages to easily retake the stolen item.

On my way out of Pinwheel Forest, I ponder my next challenge.

The options I have are as follows:
-Tympole: Interesting, but I already have a Water type
-Pansage: Servine outclasses it in every way.
-Panpour: I already have one
-Audino: lolno
-Petilil: Interesting, but it requires a Leaf Stone to evolve, and it's weak to bug so... no.
-Sewaddle: Besides being weak to bug, it's weak in general.

And finally:
-Venipede: An interesting poke, it just so happems that it resists bug. I think I'll give it a try.

So Phobia the Venipede is my newest team member. He still has a lot of levelling to do, but I'm sure it can be accomplished! (I just realized that had I caught him 1 level lower he might still have had Rollout+Defense Curl... fml)

I started off by grinding Venipede in the forest. He's a fricking toxic staller - Poison Sting seems to have like a 50% poison chance, and with protect, no non-poison type was a problem for him. We trained until Phobia learned a good move (Poison Tail) and then I headed on to Castelia. Receiving the water stone, I decided to evolve Panpour once it learned a good STAB move, since I can always use TM's like Ice Beam and Surf if I need to, and he was currently kinda weak. The foursome scaled Company Tower, and defeated all the employees, as well as the eccentric Janitor-CEO. Along the way, both Phobia and Chimpaqu evolved (Chimpaqu as soon as it learned Scald).

Team Plasma was up to their usual shenanigans, and were easy to defeat. Burgh, on the other hand, was more difficult. The Dwebble and it's Smack Down was a big threat towards my Whirlipede, but with the Eviolite you can find in Castelia, it became more easy, enough for Whirlipede to clinch the victory.

ThePhalanx, you must solo Burgh with a Pokemon from Pinwheel Forest. You may not use Pansear or Simisear for this solo.
CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

Moving on from Castelia, Bianca and Cheren attempted to challenge me, but were no problem for the fantastic four. They made short work of all the trainers in the Desert and in Desert Resort, easily cleaning house and earning a lot of EXP. While doing this I encountered a Darumaka; I wasn't originally going to catch it, but after it very nearly 2HKO'd my Eviolite Blitzle, I realized it's true power. So the team gained a new member: Pyromaniac the Darumaka. It's sheer power with Hustle was easy to abuse (especially with a good STAB in Fire Punch/Fire Fang), and it soon was at the same level as the rest. Now I have a FWG Offensive Core in Narcissism, Chimpaqu and Pyromaniac!

More Team Plasma shenanigans in Nimbasa, N posed no problem whatsoever. After grinding quite a bit in Desert Resort, I felt confident enough in Blitzle to immediately challenge the gym. But it was HARD. VERY HARD. Zebstrika COMPLETELY WALLED Blitzle, especially when Flame Charge only deals like 10% when the opponents does 20-25%. I tried many different strategies, to no avail. Finally, I realized the only way to win was through hax, so I taught Blitzle Flash, and proceeded to hax a -6 accuracy Zebstrika to death. Unfortunately, I was still forced to use a Soda Pop.

Each time you use Healing Items in a battle, you must throw out 15 non-Healing Items from your bag.
Ouch. That hurt.

After the battle, I finally allowed Blitzle to evolve, and taught it Volt Switch.

Shadowfax wants to prove that he is the best electric type pokemon. Therefore he must solo Elesa's whole gym without evolving beforehand
CHALLENGE COMPLETE (again)!

Leaving Nimbasa, Alder taught me and Cheren the meaning of life. Though not really. We just smashed a couple of preschoolers in order to test ourselves (lol). After crossing Charizard Bridge, I looked at my next challenge:
The Phalanx, you are challenged to Solo Clay with a Drilbur, without using any x-items. It must be a Drilbur, NOT an Excadrill.
Siri, I mean Pokédex, where can I find a Drilbur before Clay's gym?
"The only place where Drilbur can be found is all the way back at Wellspring Cave, you know, back where the Day Care is? Oh and they're level 10."

... I say this a lot, but... FML.

Soooo I went ALL THE WAY BACK and caught a Drilbur. A lot of grinding is ahead of me, but whatever. Zinzolin of the Seven Sages was huddling inside a shipping container in the Cold Storage, so I took the opportunity to give Pimple (don't ask, I don't even remember why I called it that) some levels. After that, I went outside the town and spent a LONG time grinding. Oh, and Phobia evolved into a Scolipede while grinding.

Once Pimple learned Earthquake, I challenged the gym. Smashed through the gym leaders no problem. Challenged Clay. Krokorok uses Bulldoze, I'm at -1 Speed. No problem. Palpitoad uses Muddy Water and OHKO's from full health even with Eviolite.

FUCK.

So I tried many times, and finally, on the last try his Palpitoad decided to use Aqua Ring instead of Muddy Water, and died to a +1 (Hone Claws) EQ. I thought Excadrill would be a problem since I can't use moves twice in a row, but a +1 Dig still managed to OHKO. Oh well. Drilbur ftw.

The Phalanx, you are challenged to Solo Clay with a Drilbur, without using any x-items. It must be a Drilbur, NOT an Excadrill. You are not required to use Drilbur beyond this challenge
CHALLENGE COMPLETE (once again)!

So I went to the grassy area outside Chargestone Cave and grinded, until Drilbur learned Swords Dance, and then I let it evolve. Then I grinded Pyromaniac until HE evolved. Currently, I am sitting outside Chargestone Cave, grinding my team members and waiting for more challenges.

After watching Clay's Krokorok break down the web in front of Chargestone Cave, I went in (if a Krokorok could do it, why couldn't you, Pimple?) and faced N. Proceeding through the cave, Prof. Juniper gave me the Lucky Egg... Let me tell you, grinding is sooo much easier with it. After beating every single trainer in the cave and having a battle of ideals between N and Juniper (as well as an actual battle vs N), I finally emerged into Mistralton City.

First order of business: teach Scolipede Megahorn. I had a couple of Heart Scales picked up who knows when, and suddenly Phobia boasts the strongest STAB move on my team. I went up towards the Celestial Tower, defeating every trainer both outside and inside the tower. I didn't catch any poke, though considering it is Winter in-game, I might catch a Cubchoo and replace Chimpaqu. Depends if I have something to learn Surf/Waterfall, though I might keep Chimpaqu as an HM Slave. Which reminds me - I have nothing that can learn Fly on my team. Oh well.

After ringing the bell atop the tower, I climbed back down and challenged the gym. Shadowfax made it all 2EZ... I don't even think he took damage. He's a bit overlevelled now, but whatever. Skyla defeated.

Oh and I forgot to mention that Narcissism evolved and learned Coil... I also deleted Cut and taught it a move more suiting for someone of his character.

Now the next challenge...
You must always have a pokemon on your team that shares all it's moves with at least one or more pokemon on your team.
I honestly don't know how I'm gonna go about doing this... So far the only way I can see myself doing it is changing Pimple's moveset (I don't want to... It has an actual competitive moveset! :[) to something like Dig (half my team can learn it)/X-Scissor (Scolipede)/Cut/Filler from SD/EQ/Rock Slide/Filler. T_T

CURRENT TEAM:

Narcissism (Serperior) - Level 38
-Leaf Blade
-Attract
-Leech Seed
-Coil

Chimpaqu (Simipour) - Level 38
-Scratch
-Fury Swipes
-Bite
-Scald

Shadowfax (Zebstrika) - Level 40
-Discharge
-Stomp
-Charge Beam
-Spark

Phobia (Scolipede) - Level 38
-Poison Tail
-Agility
-Megahorn
-Baton Pass

Pyromaniac (Darmanitan) - Level 38
-Flare Blitz
-Hammer Arm
-Fire Punch
-Belly Drum

Pimple (Excadrill) - Level 38
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-X-Scissor
-Rock Slide

Also, here's a challenge for King Serperior:
Every time you defeat a Gym Leader, you must catch a Pokemon that is the same type (primary or secondary) of that Gym Leader's specialty and keep it on your team until it faints (at which point, you can replace it if you wish)

Is that good enough?
EDIT: Realized my challenge was actually two challenges, so I deleted the second bit.
EDIT2: Tweaked my rules a tiny bit

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

*Its_A_Random, Get it right :P

Anyways, this seems quite similar to Scramble Challanges apart from the obvious differences, but it does sound fun; I might try one if/when I find the time...If at all...

EDIT: ThePhalanx, you may not use Healing Items in battle. Each time you use Healing Items in a battle, you must throw out 15 non-Healing Items from your bag.

@The Phalanx: You can only use a certain amount of healing items between gyms. The amount of items is equal to 10 - The amount of badges you have (so only 2 items at the E4, but 10 before the brothers). In addition, you may not go to the pokemon center once you enter a gym, unless you beat the gym leader.

Edit: The equation is

Healing items usable = 10 - (Your amount of badges)

But the number refreshes after every gym leader victory or E4 completion.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Cool idea. Looks like I'll be frequenting this thread more than the SCMkII >.>

ThePhalanx, buy a drink from every vending machine you come across!

Good luck, that should provide you with a nice challenge.

@IAR yeah I know it's fairly similar, basically I felt like doing something different so I thought of this, basically a scramble for restrictions and challenges instead of Pokemon. I figured it'd be nice for people who like to pick their own Pokemon but still want a harder and different run but also want something different than a Nuzlocke. So this thread was born! Seems like people have taken to it so far :)

Jimera, I used to give out a lot of global challenges (I was known for telling people to never use fly in the entire game, or go the entire game with a Pokemon in the day care).

So naturally I should get credit for this thread. ;)

Also, wouldn't it be ridiculously easy no matter what gauntlet you got, if you just used your starter and just solo'd the entire game?

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Not if someone tells them that they have to solo an E4 member with Struggle.

I will be playing Pokemon Crystal all the way Red.
I am looking for Crazy Hard challenges. I cannot trade at all, however I can hack in any 1st or 2nd gen Pokemon. I will be taking 5 challenges every 4 gym badges (counting Kanto), starting now!

List of Challenges so far:

Keiran, you cannot have any pokemon with a base stat over 80.

Keiran, you can't use any STAB moves unless they're from non-buyable TMs.

Hey Keiran, here's a challenge for you. You an thank L51 for reminding me.

Use a pokemon which has a level lower than the highest levelled pokemon of an E4 member, to solo that E4 member, using only the moves it would have if hatched with no egg moves. For an evolved pokemon, look at the egg moves of it's most basic form, and use only the moves that it would have upon hatching.

I'm guessing for most pokemon that would be Tackle/Scratch/Growl/etc. It can be any number of moves, damaging or non-damaging, it just has to be a set of moves available upon hatching. No TM's, no HM's, no egg moves.

You are challenged to Solo an elite four member with a Pokemon using nothing but struggle, just because I want to piss off Treadshot a little bit more >:D

Idk if you have enough challenges but here is a pretty hard one: In any and all Major battles (Rival, Gym Leader, E4, Boss Battle, Legendaries, etc) you CANNOT use any Super Effective moves. Have Fun ;P

Keiran: Hack into your game the following pokemon:

Level 10 Scyther
-Wing Attack
-False Swipe
-Growl
-X-Scizzor

This is the ONLY pokemon you can heal at a pokemon center, and you may only use him to catch other pokemon. Now here's the meat of your challenge. You may not heal any pokemon you use at a pokemon center aside from the aforementioned Scyther, until you complete the 4th, 8th, 12th and 16th gyms, in which you may heal those pokemon ONLY once in each instance. Now, this pretty much means you will need to continuously catch new pokemon (including duplicates) because you will be losing the old pokemon for long periods at a time as they get worn out. You MAY use items to heal though.

You asked for crazy hard, here it is.

Not if someone tells them that they have to solo an E4 member with Struggle.
Haha, yeah, that was a highlight of my Scramble thread experience. I should port that over to this thread.

Hey Keiran, here's a challenge for you. You an thank L51 for reminding me.

Use a pokemon which has a level lower than the highest levelled pokemon of an E4 member, to solo that E4 member, using only the moves it would have if hatched with no egg moves. For an evolved pokemon, look at the egg moves of it's most basic form, and use only the moves that it would have upon hatching.

I'm guessing for most pokemon that would be Tackle/Scratch/Growl/etc. It can be any number of moves, damaging or non-damaging, it just has to be a set of moves available upon hatching. No TM's, no HM's, no egg moves.

@Garud; while that challenge doesn't work thanks to previous challenges (and X-Scissor isn't available until generation IV btw) I think you should hold onto it for later, as it's really cool and should definitely be a challenge for someone at some point

@Treadshot A1 yeah you did have global challenges but they were hardly the standard :P though it might've played asmall roll in the formation of the idea I wasn't thinking of it when I made this thread.

Also you're wrong about that since a lot of these challenges prevent starters from being used effectively or require specific Pokemon, etc. besides, anyone doing that is just ruining their own challenge so why would I care? This is for everyone's personal enjoyment, not competition.

@Level 51 LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

@Keiran You are challenged to Solo an elite four member with a Pokemon using nothing but struggle, just because I want to piss off Treadshot a little bit more >:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)