Challenge The Gauntlet Challenge

canno

formerly The Reptile
VS Misty
Teamwork is the best work)
The Reptile, you are challenged to defeat Misty without using any type advantages, be they super-effective attacks, types that resist Misty's attacks, or anything else like that. Good luck, this is harder than it sounds!
@The Reptile:

May not use moves with base 50 Power or more against Brock. Include STAB in these calcs of BP. Complete
The Reptile, you can only buy 3 items from any individual Poke Mart. Keep in mind that when you buy those 3 items, you can't buy from that Poke Mart for the rest of the game.

Holy. Shit. Jimera was NOT lying when he said this would be harder than it sounds. It took me about 4-5 tries to beat her (fuck Fury Attack :( ) without overleveling myself obviously. This required some more looping around. Anyways, here's a quick rundown as to what happened on the battle that I won. Also, bought 3 pokeballs from Cerulian.
VS Staryu
Extremely easy, although really annoying. Cherry TWaved it and then switched out (because I can't use his STAB in the battle for obvious reasons). It hardens. Then I send out my Fairy Bro the Clefairy, thinking yo, I can just Mega Punch it a bit. However, the Day Care Asshole decided that Follow Me > Mega Punch, so I was stuck with Mega Kick as my only move (Why did I teach it both? Because why the fuck not? It's not like they're good moves anyways, and Clefairy doesn't get anything better until way later anyways, so why not?) Harden. Miss. Harden. Hit. Recover. Miss. Rage. Finally, I decided to just Encore it into Harden and switched into Dexter the Sandshrew and used Dig. Harden. Dig. Harden. Dig. Harden. Dig. Encore Ends. Water Pulse O.K. Fortunately, it was at a low enough HP where Syrjnge could finish it off with Fury Attack.
VS Starmie
Here's where shit gets difficult. First of all, I needed to sac Syrjnge so it could fire off some String Shots. Syrjnge was 2HKO'd by Water Pulse. After Syrjnge died, Cherry came in and TWave'd it to ensure that Fearow would be faster. Then I sent in Fairy Bro to do some a small chunck (it did nice damage, dropping it into the yellow) before dying to 2 Water Pulses. Finally, Captain rose from the shadows, and hit 3 times with Fury Attack, bringing down the cruel star that is Starmie. I'm really glad she didn't use potions like she did the other times, otherwise I would of been fucked. gg Misty.

Team

Bud the Lonely Ivysaur (Male)
Level 21
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Poison Powder
- Vine Whip

Didn't do too much other than help me get through Mt. Moon and then being boxed vs Misty. Dual Powder is super cool and everything. I definitely expect him to be a powerhouse for the team.

Cherry the Lax Pikachu (Female)
Level 17
- Thundershock
- Quick Attack
- Double Team
- Thunderwave

Thunderwave was a godsend vs Misty, even if I couldn't use Thundershock Cherry was a very valued member for the battle. Her Thundershock in general is very useful in-game because of all the birds and ratattas using growl. However, as I approach Lt. Serge, I feel it's usefulness draining because of the Ground-types, Drowsee's, and Magnemites running around that part of the game. Still, she was definitely a useful asset and expect more from her down the line.

Syrjnge the Careful Beedrill (Male)
Level 16
- Poison Sting
- Focus Energy
- String Shot
- Fury Attack

Useful VS Starmie if only because of String Shot. Otherwise, Syrjnge is really losing usefulness really fast. I might train him up to level 20 (Twin Needle) and if that doesn't work I'll probably just box him for good.

Captain the Hasty Fearow (Male)
Level 22
- Peck
- Pursuit
- Growl
- Fury Attack

Amazing, simply amazing. Fearow is such a boss, being my main pokemon vs Misty, and just in general being a great asset. His new best friend, Dexter, really helps a lot, since Dexter can deal with the Rock- and Steel-type pokemon I encounter while Captain can deal with the Grass-types. Great Speed, Great Power, Great Pokemon. Seriously, Fearow 4 lyf. <3

Dexter the Sassy Sandshrew (Male)
Level 20
- Dig
- Scratch
- Rock Tomb
- Sand-Attack

Another great pokemon. Him and Captain are BFFs for reasons I've already stated. Uses 2 TMs so far, but Rock Tomb and Dig are on anything else anyways (Dig is only 60 BP and Rock Tomb is 50). He's probably going to be the pokemon I use the Rock Slide Tutor for. Decent bulk, good power, and ok speed. I <3 Sandshrew.

Fairy Bro the Careful Clafairy (Male)
Level 18
- Mega Kick
- Encore
- Sing
- Follow Me (fuck you daycare guy. :( )

If I told you the only reason I caught Clafairy was to Meteor Mash, would you believe me? Anyways, so far he's been surprisingly powerful (probably due to Mega Kick's 120 BP). Well, you know, when he hits anyways. Encore is pretty cool, and I haven't used sing because I'd rather T-Wave things than try and sing them, and if I really want something asleep, I would just use Sleep Powder on Bud.

Box'd

CH'DING the Adamant Farfetch'd (Male)
Level 3
- Peck

Fly + Cut combo is cool. That's really all I have to say.

Kriller the Bashful Magikarp (Male)
Level 5
- Splash

Best deal of the summer. Since I plan on using Vaporeon, I don't plan on using Gyarados. Still, it's nice to have just in case I can't use Vaporeon.

Mr.Puffers the Quirky Jigglypuff (Male)
Level 5
- Sing
- Defense Curl

Male Jigglypuff FTW. :)

(I'll use the small sprites and no description next update when I get more pokemon in the box)
Current MVP: Captain. Hands down, Captain. Doing work everywhere, especially in Misty's gym. I love this guy.
Current LVP: Syrjnge. Useless even as a Beedrill. Even Fairy Bro is more powerful that Syrjnge. I'll try it for a bit, but if it disappoints even with TwinNeedle, I'm going to box it.

Also, this does mean I will be open to 2 more challenges added to my current 3. I'll be waiting. :)

@The Reptile

Bwahahaha honestly when I gave that I wasn't sure it'd be as hard as I hoped, seeing as I was basing it off my experience in my Blue version Scamble where I had to solo Misty with my Pidgeotto. Funnily enough despite different generations and different Pokemon, you ended up taking the same number of tries it took me lol.

Congratulations on the win, I know how hard it is lol.

@Zip: You are evil... that Combee is gonna suck.

@The Reptile: You must defeat Lt. Surge Using only Cherry, Captain, & Fairy Bro

@Everyone: C'mon guys, I still need 6 brutal gauntlet challenges and 11 brutal Scramble Pokemon challenges. Anyone gonna make some?

IT IS TIME!
I wanted to do a Platinum Nuzlocke and upload it to youtube, however, I own a P.O.S. Dell. So since when I run the game on the emulator, it looks like its in slow motion so I will not be doing that. =/ I will instead be doing something different (and possibly better :]). I will now do a Gaunt-Locke run for Pokemon Platinum! In other words, a Gauntlet and Nuzlocke challenge AT THE SAME DAMN TIME. After reading all these posts, it has driven me to do this. I'm not trying to bite off of DEMo, but I like the idea of restrictions in a Nuzlocke. I never knew about Nuzlocke challenges until i saw Haydunn's and decided they were cool as fuck. Without further a due, here it is:

Catridge: Platinum
How Far I will go in the game: Through the Post Game, defeating all Legendaries along the way
Difficulty: HARDCORE CHALLENGES ONLY
Trading Capability: I have HeartGold, but i rather not trade.
GameShark/Action Replay Capabilities: None
Nuzlocke Challenge: I can only catch the first pokemon in a new area. If a pokemon faints, it is considered dead. I must then put it in a box that has a title that refers to anything meaning death. No legendaries will be used. Shinies defy the usable rule =] (I have never seen one in any pokemon game I have played in 15 years though ='[)
Gauntlet Challenges: Cannot restrict what Pokemon I can have, but can restrict how they are used.
Number of Gauntlets: 4 Game long Gauntlets. Then 2 for each Gym. Then 3 for the Elite 4/Champion.

I should not of made these challenges hardcore. Whatever, in the words of the legendary Leroy Jenkins, at least I ain't chicken!

@G-Von: Hmm, interesting idea, cant imagine where you got it lol. Anyway, as for your game long challenge, here it is: You can only use Not Very Effective attacks for all major battles (i.e., Rival Battles, Legendaries, E4, Champion, Boss Battles, etc). That should be a real kick-in-the-pants for you. Have fun
G-Von, when you defeat a Gym Leader or legendary Pokemon, your highest level Pokemon that had fought in that fight gets crippled from over-exertion, and can't fight for the rest of the game. It can still be used for HM purposes, but is treated as "dead" otherwise. Also, the Leeroy Jenkins quote was "At least I've got chicken."
EDIT: G-Von, every time a pokemon dies (weither it be by over exertion or by fainting), add 1 Plague Counter. Each time you get 4 Plague Counters, you must select one pokemon in your current team. Place that pokemon in your Death Box. It is considered "dead'. Pokemon that die this way do not add Plague Counters.
G-von, If a pokemon is Asleep, Poisoned, Burned, or Paralyzed it must be boxed into the Death Box.

G-Von, your Pokemon may not attack Roark's Pokemon until they take damage from it. This restriction applies to every individual member of his team (example: Machop could attack Geodude after getting Tackled by it, but it still couldn't attack Onix until it gets hit by it.)
@G-Von

You cannot use pokemon that are a higher level than Roark's lowest levelled pokemon.
Basically, you cannot use a pokemon above level 12. If it grows to level 13 during the battle, it must switch out.

Just letting you all no I've updated up to Whitney now, and my word, what a crazy battle that was. I won't spoil it for you but man...

Link in my signature as always.

@G-Von, well done man! That is quite the acheivement there. I'll give you something for your next gym if no one else beats me to it, give me a minute.

EDIT: You are challenged to use no Grass types against Gardenia. Normally this wouldn't be hardcore but combined with your other challenges... well I just took away your only resist and probably your only chance of getting past her :P
G-Von: You cant use any items when battling Gardenia except hold items

@G-Von: Hmm, interesting idea, cant imagine where you got it lol. Anyway, as for your game long challenge, here it is: You can only use Not Very Effective attacks for all major battles (i.e., Rival Battles, Legendaries, E4, Champion, Boss Battles, etc). That should be a real kick-in-the-pants for you. Have fun

G-Von, when you defeat a Gym Leader or legendary Pokemon, your highest level Pokemon that had fought in that fight gets crippled from over-exertion, and can't fight for the rest of the game. It can still be used for HM purposes, but is treated as "dead" otherwise. Also, the Leeroy Jenkins quote was "At least I've got chicken."

@DEMo: You're welcome.
@G-Von: You've never seen one? I saw like 3 in 3 years before I started doing this. And I'll give you a challenge tomorrow; I'm too sleepy right now.

Anyways I need challenges. Remember, if you've already given me one, you can give me up to three as long as there is a 24 hour period between.

Ziposaki, you asked, so you shall receive.

Your character is into chemistry, and must rearrange her entire team after every trainer battle.

Update #4! After discovering the evil organization that is Team Plasma and thwarting their plans twice (first in the Dreamyard, second when they stole a little girl's Pokemon), I decided to take a stroll in the grass before Nacrene City. Lo and behold, a sole Bliztle appeared. He seemed to have been separated from his zeal (a group of zebras is a zeal, look it up), so I took him in. Noticing his great similarity (read: none at all) to the King of Horses and the Steed of the White Rider, I decide to name him Shadowfax.

I trained Shadowfax a little so his level was on par with the rest of the team. I debated about catching an Audino I found, but then I was like 'fuck it, this is in-game, not competitive, I'd rather have his massive XP.' Once they are fully evolved, my trio could fit into a standard NU team.

By the way, this new restriction of having all my Pokemon 'Tormented' at all times was hard to get used to (I kept forgetting about it and almost violated it several times), but I seem to have gotten in the rhythm of it, especially with Blitzle (Charge + Shockwave is essentially the same thing as Shockwave x2).

I may be away from the internet for three or four days, so if I want to continue this challenge past Lenora during those days, I'm gonna need some more challenges! Come on people!

CURRENT TEAM:

Narcissism (Snivy) - Level 16
-Tackle
-Leaf Tornado
-Vine Whip
-Growth

Chimpaqu (Panpour) - Level 15
-Scratch
-Fury Swipes
-Lick
-Water Gun

Shadowfax (Blitzle) - Level 16
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave
-Charge
-Shock Wave

Yes Ziposaki, I suck. That shiny Gyarados in 2nd gen does not count either. Anyway:

Ziposaki, your pokemon are Irresponsible Children; they keep on losing everything you give them. Therefore, your pokemon cannot hold items for the entire game.

ThePhalanx, you must solo Burgh with a Pokemon from Pinwheel Forest. You may not use Pidove, Tranquill, Unfezant (lol), Pansear, or Simisear for this solo.
EDIT: I forgot about those two, so I edited my challenge accordingly. Thanks for pointing that out!

canno

formerly The Reptile
@The Reptile

Bwahahaha honestly when I gave that I wasn't sure it'd be as hard as I hoped, seeing as I was basing it off my experience in my Blue version Scamble where I had to solo Misty with my Pidgeotto. Funnily enough despite different generations and different Pokemon, you ended up taking the same number of tries it took me lol.

Congratulations on the win, I know how hard it is lol.
Thanks, yeah, that was pretty difficult. Luckily it didn't make me want to tear my hair out lol. It was fun actually, despite all of the missing (again, fuck Fury Attack) and potions.

@The Reptile: You must defeat Lt. Surge Using only Cherry, Captain, & Fairy Bro
Accepted. I need one more challenge and I can continue with my challenge.

EDIT: G-Von, every time a pokemon dies (weither it be by over exertion or by fainting), add 1 Plague Counter. Each time you get 4 Plague Counters, you must select one pokemon in your current team. Place that pokemon in your Death Box. It is considered "dead'. Pokemon that die this way do not add Plague Counters.

The Reptile, if any of your Pokemon get statused when you're fighting Erika, you must switch them out immediately.

@G-Von: I need a personality trait as well.
They lose everything, therefore they are irresponsible. Irresponsibility is their trait and is why they are not allowed to hold any items.

EDIT: OH, thank you Reptile. Hmmm, I think i got one now. Zipo, your character is lazy and does not feel like preparing her pokemon before battle, so they never get the chance to hold an item to help them grow and become stronger. That goes for all items.

canno

formerly The Reptile
The Reptile, if any of your Pokemon get statused when you're fighting Erika, you must switch them out immediately.
Am I allowed to switch out and then back in? Or is it forced to stay out until something else is statused? Other than that, accepted.

They lose everything, therefore they are irresponsible. Irresponsibility is their trait and is why they are not allowed to hold any items.
I think she means she wants a personality trait for her character, not for her pokemon.

Am I allowed to switch out and then back in? Or is it forced to stay out until something else is statused? Other than that, accepted.
You can switch them back in, but only if you cured their status beforehand.
EDIT: You can use items to restore status if you want, but keep in mind that you can also use certain Pokemon to partially block status, such as Poison-types, which are immune to Poison (status).

canno

formerly The Reptile
You can switch them back in, but only if you cured their status beforehand.
Alright. Another question, if all my pokemon are somehow statused, can I just use my statused pokemon, or do I lost the battle?

Final update for a while guys, i'll be outta town for a few days.

So before challenging Lenora, I took my trio of destruction and scaled Challenge Rock, defeating every trainer along the way, no problem (the Nurse helped a lot though, since the entirety of my team is fast but frail pokes). It didn't take long for Narcissism to evolve into proud Servine, one step closer to being a regal Serperior. Oh, and Shadowfax learned Flame Charge too.

Leaf Tornado is an amazing move btw. Good damage+semi-constant accuracy drops=fun.

After getting everyone to level 19, I took on the gym and the gym keader Lenora. Herdier wasn't too much of a problem, but Watchog surprisingly was, destroying the rest of my team with Retaliate and Hypnosis. Before fainting though, Servine grew to lvl 20 and learned Leech Seed; I immediately challenged Lenora again and won pretty much due to this move alone.

You guys all know what happens next - Team Plasma breaks in and steals the Dragonite skull, mistaking it for Reshiram (lol), and after hunting them down in Pinwheel Forest, my trio of the elements manages to easily retake the stolen item.

On my way out of Pinwheel Forest, I ponder my next challenge.
ThePhalanx, you must solo Burgh with a Pokemon from Pinwheel Forest. You may not use Pansear, Simisear, Pidove, Tranquill, or Unfezant for this solo.
The options I have are as follows:
-Tympole: Interesting, but I already have a Water type
-Pansage: Servine outclasses it in every way.
-Panpour: I already have one
-Audino: lolno
-Petilil: Interesting, but it requires a Leaf Stone to evolve, and it's weak to bug so... no.
-Sewaddle: Besides being weak to bug, it's weak in general.

And finally:
-Venipede: An interesting poke, it just so happens that it resists bug. I think I'll give it a try.

So Phobia the Venipede is my newest team member. He still has a lot of levelling to do, but I'm sure it can be accomplished! (I just realized that had I caught him 1 level lower he might still have had Rollout+Defense Curl... fml)

CURRENT TEAM:

Narcissism (Servine) - Level 22
-Leaf Tornado
-Cut
-Leech Seed
-Growth

Chimpaqu (Panpour) - Level 21
-Scratch
-Fury Swipes
-Bite
-Water Gun

Shadowfax (Blitzle) - Level 20
-Flame Charge
-Thunder Wave
-Charge
-Shock Wave

Phobia (Venipede) - Level 15
-Poison Sting
-Screech
-Pursuit
-Protect

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@ThePhalanx, here's a post-Burgh challenge for you.

Shadowfax wants to prove that he is the best electric type pokemon. Therefore he must solo Elesa's whole gym without evolving beforehand.

EDIT: Update #2

-After rescuing the trio, I go to find my dream mist from the dreamyard. I run into Team Plasma and defeat them easily with my Pansear, as Otto has been boxed until I defeat Lenora.
-After getting dream mist and going through loads of conversation with Fennel, I head to route 3 where I hope to find a Pidove.
-As it is an odd numbered route it's a Nuzlocke route, so I can only catch the first pokemon I see. It's a Zebstrika. Ahh well.
-So I beat Cheren anyway with Pansear and then have to chase after Team Plasma. I catch a Woobat from Wellspring Cave. I call him Roman. So I start to only use Roman as he is part of my Water/Flying team.
-I level him up and then proceed to defeat Team Plasma.
-I go through Route 3 and arrive in Nacrene City.
-I catch Rose the Pidove and Timothy the Tympole in Pinwheel Forest.
-After levelling up and defeating all the trainers around, I decide to Challenge the gym.

So I can't use healing items against Lenora. I didn't expect this to massively hard, but it actually was. I lost the first game to an unlucky crit against Rose, my (now) Tranquill. And the second game, her Watchog managed to defeat me thanks to that annoying hypnosis. I took healing items to mean berries aswell so I didn't use my chesto berries.
In the third game, I formed a better plan. I sent out Roman first against her Herdier and used it to just weaken it to red health, which meant that my Tranquill didn't suffer Intimidate and Lenora wasted her super potion on Herdier instead of Watchog. Roman was knocked out and I sent Rose in. I used Work Up as she healed herself, and then Work Up again as she missed with Take Down. That was quite lucky, but I continued to Work Up and Roost until I got to +6. Luckily, she didn't get any crits. I then proceeded to KO both of her pokemon with Quick Attack.

So I am now at the point when Team Plasma has just stolen the skull. I taught Retaliate to Otto, who I have just withdrawn. I also decide the pokemon that will be boxed this time will be Rose. As I'm not allowed STAB against Burgh, She will be useless as she can only learn STAB moves.

TEAM:

Otto lvl. 17
-Tackle
-Retaliate
-Water Gun
-Razor Shell

He's a bit under-levelled, because he has been boxed since Striaton gym. He should be useful now he's back in my team though.

Timothy lvl. 22
-Bubblebeam
-Mud Shot
-Round
-Aqua Ring

Timothy hasn't got the best stats, but should improve once he's evolved. He has quite good moves for this point in the game.

Roman lvl. 21
-Heart Stamp
-Air Cutter
-Confusion
-Assurance

To be honest, Roman isn't great. He's only on my team because he's a flying type.

Rose lvl. 24 Currently Boxed
-Quick Attack
-Air Cutter
-Work Up
-Roost

Rose was my MVP in that last battle, but she is the pokemon I chose to box until Burgh. She won't last the game in my team, but she has proved herself, until better options come along.

Whoo, I'm a third of the way to the challenges I need, but I need a ton more! Remember, if you've given me a challenge and it's been 24 hours, you can give me another (up to three). Also, you need to give me a personality trait for my character with each challenge that doesn't have to (SHOULDN'T) be related to the challenge, and, if you'd be so kind, the trait should be somewhat normal so my character doesn't turn into a conflicting freak.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Zipo, I'm so confused as to how your challenge is working. 21 challenges, seriously?

Anyway, you're character likes food. (Greedy).

Also, the only HP healing items you can use once you get past Rock Tunnel are Fresh Water, Soda Pop, Lemonade and Moomoo Milk. (Although Moomoo milk will only apply if you're going through the post-game as you can only get it from Two Island, once the E4 is beaten.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)