Ask a Simple Question Get a Simple Answer - RU Edition

Thanks for answering, as of right now, Calm Mind Mesprit is serving me fairly well.

So, what are some common cores in the RU metagame? Surely there must be a Slowking/Tangrwoth core with Regenerator right? Looking at that right now, something like Galvantula could break it apart.

Also, what are some superior physical walls? I've seen Steelix, Ryhorn, and Regirock. No leftovers is kinda bugging me on Ryhorn, especially when it has no other recovery, but in reality none of them have recovery. It wouldn't be that bad with Wish, but they all share a Fighting Weakness with Clefable - unless there are other wish passers I am forgetting about. Leafeon maybe? Somewhat outclasses by Tangrowth I guess.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Some common cores in RU include:
Tangrowth + Slowking + additional Special Wall. Lanturn works pretty well because it fairs decently well against LO Galvantula, EBelt Manectric and other things that can break through GrowthKing.

Cryogonal + Mesprit/Uxie + Lanturn. Cryo provides Rapid Spin support as well as checking OTR cofag and some other potentially dangerous mons. Mesprit/Uxie provide nice pivots thanks to U-turn as well as Stealth Rock. Lanturn can take on Moltres, pivot switch in with Volt Switch and provide Heal Bell support.

There are a plethora of offensive cores too, my favorite is Sceptile/Choice Specs Slowking/Choice Band Entei. Choice Band Entei with Sleep Talk provides a cool sleep absorber, while Mix Sceptile helps break TanKing, smash Roselia, and in general keeps a lot of pressure on the opponent to prevent spinning/setting up etc. Choice Specs Slowking is ridiculously underrated and packs a ton of power while still being a great pivot switch thanks to regen and resistances to Fire/Water/Fighting/Psychic etc.

Some cool physical walls you may want to try out: Leech Seed Tangrowth and Physically Bulky Poliwrath. Poliwrath is best used in conjunction with Spikes, as Restalk Circle Throw will rack up Spike damage. Poliwrath is an awesome counter to SD Kabutops, almost every physical Fire/Rock type, and most Physical Water-types thanks to Water Absorb

hope i helped :toast:

I've been thinking of the following Feraligatr set, I'd appreciate comments:

Feraligatr @ Leftovers
Sheer Force
252 Atk/252 Spe

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Ice Punch
Crunch/Earthquake/Superpower/Aqua Jet

I'm on the fence in regards to the last move - Crunch gets that sweet Sheer Force boost, but I'm not sure about the coverage it offers; I'm also wondering if Swords Dance + Aqua Jet would be a better choice.

Any thoughts on the ideal moveset?

I've been thinking of the following Feraligatr set, I'd appreciate comments:

Feraligatr @ Leftovers
Sheer Force
252 Atk/252 Spe

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Ice Punch
Crunch/Earthquake/Superpower/Aqua Jet

I'm on the fence in regards to the last move - Crunch gets that sweet Sheer Force boost, but I'm not sure about the coverage it offers; I'm also wondering if Swords Dance + Aqua Jet would be a better choice.

Any thoughts on the ideal moveset?
First off, nice avatar! Secondly, Sheer Force Feraligatr is unreleased, so you can't use it yet. Also, Dragon Dance Feraligatr is inferior to the Swords Dance set; because Feraligatr gets walled by a lot of Pokemon, it needs to hit as hard as possible. Aqua Jet also mitigates its low Speed. Personally, I think that the following set is the best:

Feraligatr (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Return

Also Return is better than Crunch, as Slowking still takes a lot from it and you can also hit stuff like Lanturn. Hope I helped!

Thanks. Damn, I totally thought Sheer Force was released... yuck. Oh well. Thanks for the set, though do you mind explaining the purpose of the EVs? I don't play RU so they seem a bit random.

Also, is Frustration a TM?

The EVs allow it to outspeed all max Speed base 55 Speed Pokemon in RU-a popular benchmark. Max Attack and the rest into HP for bulk. And yes, Frustration is a TM.

Counters to the special set include: Roselia, Amoonguss, Drapion, Flareon, and Mandibuzz are good defensive counters to Sceptile. Offensive checks are Escavalier, Entei (with ExtremeSpeed), Scarf Emboar, Scarf Braviary, Scarf Galvantula, Accelgor.. anything that can outspeed and OHKO really. Cryogonal also makes for a good check, but be careful of Focus Blast. Priority moves such as Absol's Sucker Punch also do a number on Sceptile. The physical set is a bit easier to beat, because it's walled by Steelix, Ferroseed, and is prone to being burned by Pokemon such as Cofagrigus. The physical set also has more trouble with Pokemon with the Sap Sipper ability such as Bouffalant and Sawsbuck.

august

is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
If you are looking for something that can Spike and Stealth Rock at the same time for a rather offensive team, you can try Spikes / Stealth Rock / Spore / Whirlwind Smeargle too! :toast:

Heyho, i have a question. I want to play an mixed Skuntank with HP Grass / Fire Blast / Sucker Punch / Taunt on my team ( His main work is to kill Quagsire with the HP and absorb Toxic Spikes). Whats a good EV-split foor it? I´ve only found splits either only physical or mixed but with 2 physical moves.

Greez

Well first of all Quagsire isn't used that much in RU (don't ask me why it's in the tier, I don't know). Secondly, you'll probably want enough Special Attack EVs to OHKO Quagsire, which would be 144 with a neutral nature and Life Orb (it's a 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). I don't really know what else you're looking to KO, so if you give me some specifics I could help. I also wouldn't really recommend Skuntank for a Quagsire lure because, like I said, Quagsire is rarely seen. Playing around on a damage calculator makes it easy to find desired EV spreads. Here's one:

http://honko.byethost8.com/manly_calc.html

If you are looking for something that can Spike and Stealth Rock at the same time for a rather offensive team, you can try Spikes / Stealth Rock / Spore / Whirlwind Smeargle too! :toast:
Thanks for the advice, I will give him a shot :)

Also, how's doing Golurk now with the new moves he got in BW2?

august

OGC Leader
Choice Band Golurk is very powerful and underrated, but as a Ghost-type, Golurk is outclassed by other spinbockers. Golurk loses to Kabutops and Cryogonal, the main Rapid Spinners in RarelyUsed

I have a lot of activity in RU as you might know so this isn't just some noob question but a very serious one.

I was wondering if there was a way to possibly get help from someone that knows the RU tier completely(Like I do) because I really would appreciate some help with constructing a team that I can win with consistently. Because not lying I have over 200 RU teams from the past year and a half and they have been getting progressively stronger but I was looking for someone to point out my mistake or critique my teams. I have all the smarts to play a team correctly or knowing when or not I will win in certain scenarios but I often find myself having a missing link to cover that crawdaunt or having a huge weakness to T-Wave or something.

So if anyone would be able to point me to someone that I could contact or the right part of the forums to be asking this I would be very happy. I would prefer to talk to me on skype about this, or just giving me a message of feedback would be great.

@Bigblue other that Battling 101 (since there aren't many RU tutors), you should probably ask for help on #rarelyused. I'm sure a lot of people would contribute to helping you make a solid team; or you could ask someone to work one on one with you if you're more comfortable with that :) Other than that, if you sign up for the Battling 101 program in another tier, you can improve your teambuilding skills in general.

@DittoCrow Yeh I have considered Battling 101 but it seems a bit more of a teaching tool, which I don't need teaching I just was looking for some quick help or critiquing. But yes going on the #Rarelyused does sound like a good idea and I shall try that.

Thanks! =)

Rhydon + Eviolite

I have a question about an EV spread on a Rhydon with Eviolite.

But firstly, a bit of information. I don't play competitively, so I would only be playing on the Battle Subway. This means I very rarely switch my Pokemon out, if ever.

I was wondering if it would be better for my particular set to either put 252 EVs into HP or SPD instead of into SPE. I want to make it a Rock Polisher, so I don't know if pumping EVs into its defenses would help him withstand more hits AND help him become a decent (albeit bulky) sweeper.

I understand he has a x4 weakness to both Grass and Water, but I'm not sure if putting 252 in HP/SPD would even help :(

TL;DR

252 EVs into HP, SPD, or SPE for a Rock Polisher Rhydon w/Eviolite?

TL;DR

252 EVs into HP, SPD, or SPE for a Rock Polisher Rhydon w/Eviolite?
I'm pretty knowledgeable about the Subway. I would recommend not using an offensive Eviolite Poké such as Rhydon. 0 Spe Rhydon has 60 Speed, obviously 120 after Rock Polish, and 180 and 240 on following Rock Polish uses. 252 Spe Rhydon has 92 Speed, which means that it outspeeds Bisharp, Breloom, Ludicolo, Dewgong, Mamoswine, Poliwrath, Politoed, Samurott, Milotic, Vensaur, Lanturn, Blastoise, Exeggutor, Glaceon, Scizor, Vaporen, Walrein, Carracostam Abomasnow, Empoleon, Lapras, Magnezone, Swampert, Wailord, Whiscash, Scrafty, Torterra, Golurk, Machamp, Aggron, Beartic, Donphan, Hariyama, Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Vileplume, Tangrowth, Druddigon, Hippowdon, Conkeldurr, Golem, Marowak, and Throh among quite a few others before using Rock Polish. After using Rock Polish and hitting 184 Speed, it would only be outsped by very fast Pokés like Sceptile, Alakazam, Dugtrio, and faster. If you used Rock Polish twice with 252 Spe, you would outspeed everything. Of course you are losing significant bulk by running Speed but some of these Pokémon you couldn't take the attacks from even with the added bulk. As a Subway veteran I would just recommend trying each individual set that you thought of but you might not have the resources for that. I still don't recommend the Poké though, and if you ask for further help in the Battle Subway thread, we could help you find a better Poké or help you build a team

I'm pretty knowledgeable about the Subway. I would recommend not using an offensive Eviolite Poké such as Rhydon. 0 Spe Rhydon has 60 Speed, obviously 120 after Rock Polish, and 180 and 240 on following Rock Polish uses. 252 Spe Rhydon has 92 Speed, which means that it outspeeds Bisharp, Breloom, Ludicolo, Dewgong, Mamoswine, Poliwrath, Politoed, Samurott, Milotic, Vensaur, Lanturn, Blastoise, Exeggutor, Glaceon, Scizor, Vaporen, Walrein, Carracostam Abomasnow, Empoleon, Lapras, Magnezone, Swampert, Wailord, Whiscash, Scrafty, Torterra, Golurk, Machamp, Aggron, Beartic, Donphan, Hariyama, Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Vileplume, Tangrowth, Druddigon, Hippowdon, Conkeldurr, Golem, Marowak, and Throh among quite a few others before using Rock Polish. After using Rock Polish and hitting 184 Speed, it would only be outsped by very fast Pokés like Sceptile, Alakazam, Dugtrio, and faster. If you used Rock Polish twice with 252 Spe, you would outspeed everything. Of course you are losing significant bulk by running Speed but some of these Pokémon you couldn't take the attacks from even with the added bulk. As a Subway veteran I would just recommend trying each individual set that you thought of but you might not have the resources for that. I still don't recommend the Poké though, and if you ask for further help in the Battle Subway thread, we could help you find a better Poké or help you build a team
I'm going to be quite adamant about using Rhydon. I just do it for fun; I don't really have a Battle Subway "team".

I did some calculating after I posted this. If I went with the Rock Polish/0 SPE and either 252 HP/252 SPD I could have a base of 120 with one boost. Looking on Serebii that beats quite a few Pokemon's base speeds. Hopefully with the "defense boost" I can take more hits.

Otherwise there's the one with 252 in SPE. I could easily forgo Rock Polish on that set in favor of Swords Dance, but I tie with the likes of Simisage and Simipour speedwise D:

Three-part question:
1) For a team that doesn't need the bulk or phazing ability of Drapion's specially defensive set, would a Drapion set of Taunt / Toxic Spikes / STAB / Coverage work?

2) I'd want it to be as fast as possible. Would I be better off putting the rest in attack or investing a little bit in HP for a "tank"-type set?

3) Are there any other 'mons worth considering that a) can run Taunt or Encore on the same set as hazards b) are fast enough to put said Taunt or Encore to good use, and c) can put out some decent offensive pressure (about as well as the above-mentioned Drapion could, I guess)

Thanks!

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Three-part question:
1) For a team that doesn't need the bulk or phazing ability of Drapion's specially defensive set, would a Drapion set of Taunt / Toxic Spikes / STAB / Coverage work?

2) I'd want it to be as fast as possible. Would I be better off putting the rest in attack or investing a little bit in HP for a "tank"-type set?

3) Are there any other 'mons worth considering that a) can run Taunt or Encore on the same set as hazards b) are fast enough to put said Taunt or Encore to good use, and c) can put out some decent offensive pressure (about as well as the above-mentioned Drapion could, I guess)

Thanks!
For your first question, I'd avoid using Toxic Spikes, since there are a lot of common grounded Poison-types in the tier such as Nidoqueen, Drapion, Roselia, and Qwilfish, making Toxic Spikes not that effective. However, if you still want to use Drapion, then I recommend a Swords Dance set. A set of Swords Dance / Taunt / Crunch / Earthquake is a very effective stallbreaker, and has most of the qualities that you're looking for. As for your second question, max Speed is definitely what you want, and I'd recommend at least 76 Attack EVs, since that's the minimum amount required to always OHKO 4/0 Nidoqueen at +2. You could use a spread of 180 HP / 76 Atk / 252 Spe Jolly to do just that, or you could go for a more offensive approach with max Attack and a Life Orb. And for your third question, several Pokemon have access to a fast Taunt or Encore in the metagame that is supplemented by hazards. Aerodactyl is most commonly seen using the tactic, and sets up Stealth Rock while having a fast Taunt and a good offensive presence. Accelgor hits hard from the special side, and has access to Spikes and Encore to compliment its blazing Speed. Qwilfish is an effective suicide Spiker, and is decently fast with Taunt and Explosion. It also has access to Toxic Spikes if you really wanna use them. Good luck, I hope I could help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)