Single Elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a thread for everyone to post how they feel about Single Elimination, and if Pokemon should make it mandatory, ban it forever, or use it in certain instances, such as in conjunction with a best of three series. Whatever it may be, thoughts about Single Elimination can be posted here.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm curious what exactly your goal for this thread is. I don't see TPCi changing their format because of our opinions, especially now that they seem to be trying to mirror the TCG, and we don't really need another thread for people to whine about things they don't like.

single elimination is a horrible idea in prelims, top cut is acceptable to have single elimination i think
I second this. At Regional events, It would be better if they used Swiss Rounds in order to pick out the Top 16 or 32, then use Single Elimination to settle the rest of the tournament. Single elimination could also be good for the early rounds of Worlds, but would be unfair to have throughout whole events due to how hax prone it is.

I totally agree with PM366, and Calm Lava. However if it would have been Single Elimination at Philly I would have at least been in the top 4 since I won 4 straight, and then lost 4 straight. And to Voodoo Pimp, it only takes a few people to change something. For instance I already sent an email to TPCi to make Swis Parings standard for regionals, and Single Elimination for top cut players, like for the top 4, or for nats or what not. I gave several reasons to them such as the cost of travel, and how people feel after loosing first round.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
All right, let's see where this goes, but there better not be any flaming like opinion threads seem to devolve into so often.

Just got an email back from the Pokemon Company. Here is what they said.

"Thank you for your interest in Play Pokemon events! We encourage people to get involved, and express their opinions to make our programs better for everyone. In regards to your selected topic of Video Game Championships elimination methods, we completely agree with your reasons and motives. We will do the best we can to make swiss parings standard for regional play. Thank you for you suggestions and please continue to enjoy Play Pokemon.

Sincerely, The Pokemon Company International"

so don't know if what they are saying is BS or not, but if they really mean what they say, hopefully we will never see Single Elimination again at regular regionals.

Slashmolder

'Ello Governor
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
I think that's amazing. Though a top cut would be cool single elimination is just bad for the masses of casual players that come. It's plenty of fun to play a lot of people of similar skill level even if you aren't going to win anything.
The one thing I really do want them to bring back is the TVs so we can watch matches but I do understand they don't make too much sense for Swiss. That's yet another reason why a top cut would be awesome. You'd get to watch the final few matches with all the epic hype.

I totally agree with PM366, and Calm Lava. However if it would have been Single Elimination at Philly I would have at least been in the top 4 since I won 4 straight, and then lost 4 straight. And to Voodoo Pimp, it only takes a few people to change something. For instance I already sent an email to TPCi to make Swis Parings standard for regionals, and Single Elimination for top cut players, like for the top 4, or for nats or what not. I gave several reasons to them such as the cost of travel, and how people feel after loosing first round.
Just so you know, Philly had 252+ people. That means even if you started off 4-0, in a single elim. tournament, that's only good enough for a top 16 finish.

Really, oh well it's still better than where I finished. Well the loss to KeepBayleefing was what started my 4 loss decline. Saw you there to Cybertron wearin' your 2011 nats medal n' stuff.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Single elimination shouldn't even be considered in a game that is as luck-based as Pokemon. Critical hits, status chances, and other hax just make it way too volatile for single elimination.

Well I guess we'll find out in a month or two weather or not TPCi actually listened to my message and will enforce a ban on Single Elimination during regionals.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Adding on to what TRE said, what exactly is the problem here? All events (except LCQ for obvious reasons) use Swiss right now, and there hasn't been any sign of TPCi considering changing that format.

You never know if they're thinking about changing it. When I was at Philly maybe round 6 or 7, I heard some of the staff complaining of the number of people, and how hard it is for them to post the parings due to everyone clustering themselves around the board, and that he was gonna complain to the event organizer.

What do you expect them to change it to? Single elimination? Single elimination is horrible for VGC and all the competitive players want swiss + top cut, which I expect we'll have next year. If they can post pairings for 500+ VGC players and 1500+ TCG players at Nationals, they can do it for smaller Regionals.

Everyone is happy with it like it is, actually promotes the success of these events so everyone can play a bunch of rounds. Might take longer, but just not enough reason for them to change it except for Top Cut or whever.

I by no means am in favor of Single Elimination. I just hope the email I sent to them they actually take into consideration, and that they don't just wave it off. Because in reality they can make the event elimination format whatever format they want. I was just trying to sway them more towards Swis Parings. What I was trying to say was that IF the staff complained, I think TPCi is more concerned about staff complaints then the elimination method. Hopefully not since single elimination is one of the most horrible things ever.

Um, I totally agree with everyone here, but I still don't really see the purpose of this thread :P
I'm sure we can all agree that single-elimination is bad.

Mainly to discuss Single Elimination and how it's affected everyone during VGC'11, and if they prefer it, or not. Or if they think if it should be used in certain instances like Top Cut. Or if they think everything no matter what should be Swis. BTW, I did not go to VGC'10, or VGC'9, or the Video Game Showdown so can someone fill me in weather it was single elimination or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)