Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer (Read FAQs in First Post Before Asking)

I'm assuming that the 2nd and 4th sets are supposed to be Timid. But if I were using a Choiced Water Spout Kyogre, it would be Scarf not Specs. Personally with Specs I would probably invest in HP more

Edit: Oh I didn't see the HP EV differences, my bad

I'm assuming that the 2nd and 4th sets are supposed to be Timid. But if I were using a Choiced Water Spout Kyogre, it would be Scarf not Specs. Personally with Specs I would probably invest in HP more
No, he's basically asking if it's better to use Hydro Pump or Surf and whether to run Max HP or Max Speed.

Anyway,
Kyogre
Drizzle
4HP/252SpA/252Spe
Modest Timid
Water Spout
Surf
Thunder
Ice Beam
This is the best set because you want to be absolutely sure you outspeed all unboosted base 90s and Surf is just better than Hydro Pump. Modest isn't really necessary since Kyogre does enormous amounts of damage to everything anyway. If you really want to run Modest Kyogre, he should either be scarfed like Zacchaeus said or be a Calm Mind Kyogre.

252 Modest SpA Kyogre Rain-boosted Water Spout vs +1 SpD Mewtwo: 92.6% - 109.1%
Timid misses out on the KO. Good enough for me.

Outspeeding other base 90s isn't as crucial as you think. The other base 90 scarfers (Dialga, Zekrom, for the most part) aren't things Kyogre really wants to be dealing with if it can avoid it, and taking on another Scarf Kyogre is a crapshoot. Often you're only going to need to be outspeeding Mewtwo and below. Modest is a perfectly acceptable nature on Scarf Kyogre (and not uncommon, especially spreads running a bit of bulk).

You're not taking Specs into account. The original question was about SpecsOgre specifically, in which case Timid is better because the extra speed is better than the negligible boost in attack. If you're going with ScarfOgre specifically and you're looking at pure damage, then yeah Modest is better and you need it to OHKO Mewtwo.

Of course, after entry hazards neither Modest nor Timid ScarfOgre can OHKO a full health Mewtwo so you'd probably just be better off using Thunder to potentially paralyze it. If Mewtwo has taken residual damage too and doesn't have Leftovers to recoup some of his health, Modest is still better.

Outspeeding other base 90s isn't as crucial as you think. The other base 90 scarfers (Dialga, Zekrom, for the most part) aren't things Kyogre really wants to be dealing with if it can avoid it, and taking on another Scarf Kyogre is a crapshoot. Often you're only going to need to be outspeeding Mewtwo and below. Modest is a perfectly acceptable nature on Scarf Kyogre (and not uncommon, especially spreads running a bit of bulk).
Assuming you're going to be using ScarfOgre mostly as a revenge killer and not as a sweeper or something, speed is pretty important. It depends on the team, but generally I'd like to know that my scarfer is faster than a scarfed Heatran. Of course Kyogre still can do this with Modest so whatever.

And again, the original question was about SpecsOgre.

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
252/252/4 isnt always the best spread. If you want some bulk on your SpecsOgre, use this spread : 72 hp / 252 SpA / 184 Spe @Modest.

It let you outspeed standard Lugia, AgiliDon, Gira-O and everything below. Being pp wasted by Lugia, killed by Groudon/Ho-Oh before making a move or taking a Draco Meteor by Gira-O while you're trying to 2HKO him isnt funny at all. The choice between Hydropump and Surf is up to you, but I never found Hydropump that useful since it miss a lot, and you really need to hit with this Kyogre.

My mistake. From Zacchaeus's post it sounded like the discussion was on Scarfogre, but I should've checked the previous page as well.

Modest vs Timid is much more tricky with Specs Ogre, and really comes down to hazard support. For example, Modest will almost always 2HKO Chansey with Water Spout without SR / Spikes, but Timid needs a layer to do that as well. Timid is much better against offensive teams obviously, but Modest also has its uses against stall. There's also the issue of bulk: Timid Kyogre has no EVs to spare, but Modest can give up a few to increase its ability to take hits.

Thanks for the advice. Though I don't want to run a timid nature. I still want to be able to 2HKO Blissey and Chansey. I am also thinking of runny hydro pump instead of surf to 2HKO Ferrothorn.

Thanks for telling me the damage modest does against MewTwo. He is a big threat to my team and with Modest I can safely take him out. Timid isn't out of the question though since my team also focuses on entry hazards.

Also I am running surf because I have Jirachi on my team so I can restore water spout to 2HKO Ferrothorn.

Here is the set I am going to try to run.

Kyogre
Drizzle
Choice Specs
Modest
4HP/252SpA/252Spe
Water Spout
Surf
Thunder
Ice Beam

Hi i got a quick question about tournament rules. Is it allowed to play pokemon using a rom? For example, i got a card, dstwo for n3ds, then i download a pokemon white rom onto it then i play normally. Can i enter pokemon tournaments using this pokemon game (rom)? And not a "real" pokemon game.
Thank you in advance!

Hi i got a quick question about tournament rules. Is it allowed to play pokemon using a rom? For example, i got a card, dstwo for n3ds, then i download a pokemon white rom onto it then i play normally. Can i enter pokemon tournaments using this pokemon game (rom)? And not a "real" pokemon game.
Thank you in advance!
ROM's are generally illegal in tournaments. If there isn't a rule saying ROM's are legal then don't use it.

Just a simple question regarding Kyurem and what was shown in the movie:

Kyurem CANNOT learn Flamethrower, right?

I've been through Bulbapedia, and I know Kyurem is not Uber, but this might have to do with the new forms and I can honestly say I'm not familiar enough with them still >_<

Kyurem cannot learn flamethrower, but Kyurem-W (which is uber) has the signature move of Reshiram: Fusion Flare.

I've got another Uber-related question : ]

This concerns the 3DS AR download game and Ho-oh/Lugia.
You're suppose to insert a copy of HG/SS to get them, but is the number of Ho-ohs/Lugias you can get restriced to one per copy of the game?

I'm asking this coz I have access to 2 SS's and 3 HG's, since I don't RNG maybe this'll help my chances of finding a good legendary : /

I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, but where is everybody at ? I have yet to find a decent opponent on the Pokemon Showdown server. Is an opponent capable of making basic predictions too much to ask for ? I know that there are good battlers on this forum, but I havn't found them on PS. So that's my question, where are all my fellow Uber players at ?

Keep laddering on PS. When you get to the 1500+ range you'll start encountering people who know what they're doing.

Got over 1800 and finally got some loses under my belt. PS just needs to match high ranked people with other high ranked people. Hopefully that will come when its out of beta.

Do we have an intro guide to Ubers for black/white?

I want to start using this tier and the only guide I could find was for 4th gen.

Thx in advance.

I don't believe there is one on the main site yet:( When I started playing ubers a few weeks ago I used the Dpp guide to an extent. Though many things changed, I found it good enough for a start.

Is Heavy Offense actually viable in Ubers? There's all that stall going around that has a way to deal with everything...I'm not so sure as to whether it has merits in Ubers.

I really don't think stall is the most popular. Spike stacking with extreme killer sweep seems to be.
We don't have a guide to ubers in general but two guides I suggest are these
Arceus guide
Guide to using arceus in which should probably be included in every ubers team as it is very good.
Also there is an uber stall guide which could help you get around the major players in ubers stall.
http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/ubers_stallUbers stall

HO is definately viable if you keep the pressure on.

What's the textbook specially defensive EV spread for Ho-oh? And in which situations would you use it?

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What's the textbook specially defensive EV spread for Ho-oh? And in which situations would you use it?
I have recently SCMS'd trickroom's set to the site, and it's up on the Tank set. In the first paragraph of AC I added what it can do. Have fun~

One of the best ways to get an introduction to a new metagame is to read a guide about it. On the site there are a Dpp guide, a threatlist and a guide to stall in ubers. There is no guide about the metagame as a whole, so my question is if there is WIP for such a thing or if there even is a plan for making one? As a footnote, I would gladly contribute in some way.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
One of the best ways to get an introduction to a new metagame is to read a guide about it. On the site there are a Dpp guide, a threatlist and a guide to stall in ubers. There is no guide about the metagame as a whole, so my question is if there is WIP for such a thing or if there even is a plan for making one? As a footnote, I would gladly contribute in some way.
There are a few guides, but not a metagame guide. Try The Smog as well, there are articles there too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)