So many weather teams... Is non-weather viable?

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Tyranitar without sandstream wouldn't be OU. His most popular set in fifth gen is a specially defensive set. What would you be using him for once that special bulk is gone? Stealth rock? Dragon dance with base 61 speed? Choice band when you can just use terrakion? He'd be UU in an instant if not for his precious sand...which is better than what I can say for ninetales and politoed.

For the record, garchomp has no problem mangling ferrothorn with a sun boosted +2 fire fang. Can't do the calcs for the other two right now though.

I have heard it many times, but in practise someone does it? It's really worth it? I never saw it.

Like using Cloud Nine in OU, anybody uses a Pokemon with it?
I've used it a few times but I generally find it less useful than it seems on paper due to two reasons;
1) Finding an opportunity to set it up can be rough if you don't put it on a bulky enough Pokemon
2) Bulky enough Pokemon usually can't afford the moveslot
3) Most decent weather players these days aren't stupid enough to sack their weather inducer.
4) I've developed better, more reliable ways to handle weather in their own element without having to shove a situational move onto one of my Pokemon.

Still, it does happen and can screw you over. I did make a couple weather people rage quite when my tentacruel suddenly called in hail right after they let their ninetails or politoed die :P

I think non-weather is a very good prospect on paper as you don't have to use trash like Abomasnow, Politoed or Ninetales to set up weather (Hippowdon is usable, Tyranitar is a beast), and you don't have to rely on over-reliant abusers of the weather (Tentacruel, Excadrill (pre-ban), and Venusaur) to have a good team that can pull its weight. But it has three key problems; You have avoid using Pokémon like Tentacruel, Venusaur and most Fire and Water Types in general, as an alternate weather from their preferred one can and will screw them up; Your team can get torn apart by things like Keldeo, Blaziken (RIP), Kyurem or Excadrill (RIP), or it will stalled to death by things like StallRien or Tentacruel; and lastly, it can just use there terrible weather inducer as a sacrifice against your sweeper to gain the opposition's team momentum.

However, non-weather is perfectly viable as you can use 6 superb Pokémon with synergy, you don't have to waste up to three teamslots for winning the weather war, and you don't have to use generic and predictable strategies. Because of these points you can acheive good coverage, and good momentum and you can abuse the fact if the opponent is using weather the main trend is to slap 5 weather abusers/ set-up onto a team and add dugtrio to destroy other weather set-up (WHY?!). But non-weather absolutely MUST be played cleverly, as must weather, and if you don't play non-weather cleverly you end up with a team that loses ever match. But if you ask me, non-weather is very viable, and it can outdo normal weather. But the same does apply for weather.
As already mentioned, you do not in any way have to avoid using fire and water types. Firstly, their STAB will only be nerfed in like 1/5 games at most as even Politoed only sees 22% usage. Secondly, even when it is nerfed they aren't usually rendered helpless as most OU water and fire types either have a secondary STAB they can use or just plain don't rely on the damage from their STAB exclusively to win. For example, my Sp.Def Heatran doesn't become useless in rain. It can still spread burns, wall certain threats on rain teams (especially Tornadus-T if it can avoid a Super-Power) and set up rocks even if its Lava Plume is doing less damage than normal.

CrackinSkulls said:
Now onto the main topic, lets face it weather is a huge part of the metagame. Non-weather is completely viable and should not be underestimated. However, sometimes its easier to just slap on a weather inducer because of how damn effective they are. For example if i wanted a specially bulky Stealth Rocker that can dish out a few hits in non-weather the first person i would look upon is Heatran. However i should ask myself do i benefit more from having a Tyranitar who can do the same thing, provide weather and also function as an even better switch in for things such as Tornadus-T and Thundurus.

Although non-weather is very viable you really must ask yourself whether you are better off using a weather inducer. The reason being that weather is already a huge advantage to your opponent. Letting it freely be summoned and utilized is a dangerous game.

The reason being that weather doesn't only mean a 1.5x boost to water/ fire moves, it doesn't only mean a 0.5x resistance, it doesn't just activate abilities. Weather is a straight up advantage over your opponent. Similar to Stealth Rock even if your opponent doesn't have any Stealth Rock weak pokemon. It gives you a mental edge over your opponent. Thats why on my current OU team i run a Tyranitar, though it's weather does not greatly help anyone on my team however, it strips away my opponents advantage, it makes me gain the mental edge over my opponent. Even though it doesn't benefit me as much to win the weather war it is a huge defining point in the match. As any good card player would no, it doesn't matter what i actually have, it matter more what my opponent thinks i have.

That said i'm not stupid, TTar isn't there just for show. He has a specific role that he accomplishes reliably almost every match. If you do choose to run non-weather and have decided that a weather inducer does not benefit you as much as another member of your team then you still need a check to weather. Most notably things like Sunny Day Heatran are very effective because when people see you have no weather they are quick to sack their weather inducer Politoed sucks. Anyway my main point is that while non-weather is viable it is generally easier to slap on a weather for the aforementioned reasons.
See, this exactly proves my point. It's EASIER to do, but frequently it's not BETTER to do. Sandstorm, for example, really hampers a lot of Pokemon from doing their job correctly. It makes walls less able to wall, shortens the lifespn of Life Orb abusers not immune to it even more, breaks Multiscale for Dragonite... while it's true that Tyranitar can fill a lot of roles I usually find myself avoiding him like the plauge because it'd mean half my team was always crippled. The key isn't having 1 specific Pokemon to deal with weather; it's having a team that jells together well and can handle all playstyles between them. Essentially, you just need a well built team. With the existence of so many formulaic approaches to Pokemon in the current metagame (not just weather but also High Offense, Volt-Turn, 4 drag 2 mag, etc) it seems a large portion of the player-base has forgotten completely how to build a team without a set formula to follow. While this can be disheartening, it also gives those who have not forgotten an edge, as a predictable enemy is an enemy that is easy to defeat.

EDIT: Also your paragraph about how weather / SR gives a "mental edge" I just... what? I suppose if your opponent panics easily or something. I personally don't let it bother me when I face a weather team. I don't think of it as "oh he has his weather therefore he has an advantage". I think "Ok, this guy is running a weather team I know how to beat this". I suppose that's another reason why new players might have trouble with using non-weather; they're so used to being fucked if the opponent has their own weather up they don't know how to handle it.

I'd just like to point out that the weather inducers aren't "Trash". Without their abilities, obviously none except perhaps Tyranitar and Hippo would be OU, but that doesn't make them worthless. Politoed in particular is surprisingly bulky, and has no problems spreading status, pseudo-hazing with Perish Song, or stopping setup with Encore. It can even run effective Scarf and Specs sets. Ninetales has good Speed and acceptable Special Attack with a Sun, as well as access to Energy Ball to muscle her way past Water types, even in inclement Weather. Abomnasnow is less useful, but he does have a unique STAB combination, and can also endlessly annoy opposing teams with Hail SubSeed should me manage to set up.

Also, why would you need to avoid using Weather abusers on a non-Weather team? I can understand why it would be foolish to run something like Venusaur, but Tentacruel, Landorus, and Kyurem are all examples of viable Weather pokemon who are usable on non-Weather teams. Tentacruel is still a capable TSpikes setter and rapid Spinner, Landorus misses the extra power on EdgeQuake but is still a strong and reliable revenge killer, and Kyurem really only misses out on 100% accurate Blizzard; it still has amazing bulk and ridiculous Attack and Special Attack. If anything, it's nice to have a pokemon that can take advantage of the opponent's strategy and use it against them. That's a big part of the reason Kingdra is becoming more popular. And it's perfectly fine to run Fire- and Water-types on non-Weather teams. Cloyster, Volcarona, Rotom-W, and Infernape are all effective pokemon, even in inclement weather.
It's true, you can run Fire and Water types in non-weather teams, just don't run boosting moves on them. I wouldn't run Volcanora without weather support, simply because of the threat of rain, which ruins your coverage. Water types have it easier, since they still get nuetral coverage on Fire types in the sun, but sweeping with a Fire type pokemon without weather support just isn't viable right now.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Volcarona is hardly crippled by Rain - Fire Blast, Bug Buzz and your choice of Hidden Power still hit just as hard. In fact, Fire Blast still has the equivalent of 90 base power - higher than Shadow Ball and Psyshock, and the same as Earth Power, Dragon Pulse, and Scizor's Bullet Punch. Don't you dare call that bad!

(I will always stand by the point that SD Feraligatr wrecks Sun teams once it hits Torrent range and if you get rid of Grass-types, but that's irrelevant.)

At the very end of the day, a well-built non-weather team will always trump a well-built weather team. I have an really solid (if I may say so myself) stall team currently near 1400 on PO:

Paula Deen (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

MightyForr (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Colgate (Gengar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Molty (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Roar

QueenJelly (Jellicent) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Storm (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 8 SDef / 24 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roar

But this team was torn apart TWICE by a sun team with Ninetales, Espeon, Venasaur, Dugtrio, Volcarona (w/ HP Ground), and Cloyster. 6-0, 4-0 the last time. Absolutely no chance to win against them. None.

Off topic: I really cannot wait for Lightningrod Zapdos.

At the very end of the day, a well-built non-weather team will always trump a well-built weather team. I have an really solid (if I may say so myself) stall team currently near 1400 on PO
Wait, what? That's just not true. Good weatherless teams can certainly beat a well-built weather squad, but to say that they'd always win is just ignorant. No play style will always beat another along as the team and battler are good. Weather has access to many great pokemon and moves that aren't as effective on other teams, such as Hurricane, Chlorophyll pokemon, and Blizzard. All of those advantages can be overcome with smart team building, but they're still advantages. Anyways, there's nothing stopping a weather team from running something that doesn't benefit from weather at all, such as Haxorus or Gengar. Basically, Weather gets to use Weather abusers and everything else, and their only cost is being forced to use one of the five weather starters. I don't follow your logic at all.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
^You understand.

Nothing is forcing a weather team to fully limit itself to running Pokemon that only benefit underneath its specific weather effect.

I really can't add much. It's not like anyone can say "But a non-weather team can run insert pokemon to counter insert weather teams," because even a weather team does that. I guess the only cost is one of the weather starters, who are all equally capable of being good pokemon anyway (even Ninetale's Fire Blast is deadly in the sun).

OK let's put this in a point by point format:

1) Can you ladder with a weatherless team?

Hell yea, I did it, still doing relatively well (hovering around top 100), several other people have done it in a much more harsh metagame (excadrillswiftswimgarchompetc) and will continue to do so.

====

2) Have the weather teams become more difficult to take down and factor heavily in team building than before?

Yes. At the start it was just a weather inducer and a bunch of weather abusing mons, and once you took out the inducer and changed the weather they might as well say gg. But now you have secondary inducers, trappers, hazard distractions, more than one permanent inducer, wall switching and life ain't getting easier.

====

3) What are the common tactics to counter weather?

There are no general guidelines but common tactics to be used, depending on the team you are running. For starters I find shielding yourself against one type of weather (for example being to operate comfortably under rain without ever bothering to change the weather) to be good since against the rest you can kill the inducer and just use a weather changing move.

Lesser used strategies is to include weather stealers (Kingdra, Landorus, Tornadus, Thundrus, Kingdra, etc.), trappers for the weather inducers (Dugtrio, Wobby. etc.) and scarfed mons to counter the more punishing of weather abilities.

Finally I don't consider using a weather inducing mon just for the sake of changing weather to be a weather team, especially if the rest of the team is not dependent on it, and some successful number ones have used mons such as Politoed to do just that.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There's something I want to point out:
Choice band when you can just use terrakion?
Choice Band Terrakion doesn't have access to Pursuit, for starters.

But I admit that without the sand, a lot of Tyranitar's bulk gets lost.

Weather vs. weatherless is pretty much a choice of preference. A good nonweather team can beat the typical weather teams, while a good weather team can ride its weather advantages to victory. Because the best way to abuse these advantages is usually straightforward and simple, weather teams often follow a predictable pattern (to stress this, they MUST run one specific poke, and the sweepers for weather teams are usually typical of most teams of that weather to some extent). Nonweather teams have to try to break this pattern with "anti-metagame" and anti-weather tactics. Therefore, your preference is often between Meta and Anti-meta. I prefer nonweather because I like being flexible in my team building and playstyle (also why I tend to run midgame-type sets like CB Terrakion and LO 3 attacks celebi over their boosting variants), but weather when played right works just as well.

Anyways, there's nothing stopping a weather team from running something that doesn't benefit from weather at all, such as Haxorus or Gengar. Basically, Weather gets to use Weather abusers and everything else, and their only cost is being forced to use one of the five weather starters. I don't follow your logic at all.
I see what you're saying, but that's one of my main issues: the fact that non-weather teams are very limited to certain pokemon in order to counter weather. Good teams in this metagame are limited to Rain, Sun, VolTurn, DragMag, Hyper Offense, and teams that counter weather. The amount of creativity I'm allowed to have with my stall team is pretty low. Sun still kicks my ass.

Good teams in this metagame are limited to Rain, Sun, VolTurn, DragMag, Hyper Offense, and teams that counter weather.
I believe Hail is very anti-metagame, in it's own way, therefore is also a good strategy. BW2 gave it SubRoost Kyurem, I think, for even more Hail stall. I still prefer the scarf varient.

And how could you count sand out? It's still a great weather, and benefits from the new Landorus-T as well.

I see what you're saying, but that's one of my main issues: the fact that non-weather teams are very limited to certain pokemon in order to counter weather. Good teams in this metagame are limited to Rain, Sun, VolTurn, DragMag, Hyper Offense, and teams that counter weather. The amount of creativity I'm allowed to have with my stall team is pretty low. Sun still kicks my ass.
That's simply not true. For an immediate example, my team fits into none of those categories and still wins around 90% of the battles I have with it on PS!. This is assuming you mean teams dedicated to coutnering whether when you say "teams that counter weather" and not teams that just happen to be able to take it on. If you mean the later, that's as pointless as saying "teams that can counter offense" because it's such a sweeping generalization encompassing so many different varieties of teams that it becomes meaningless.

I'mnot the only one either I'm quite certain. The reason most of the teams you see that do well fall into one of those categories is simply because it's easier to make a team that follows a formula than it is to make one that doesn't. It has nothing to do with usability and everything to do with ease of access. It is so much easier to throw together a team that conforms to a set formula than it is to essentially re-invent the wheel that simply most people don't bother, and a lot of those that do bother tend to be rather inexperienced players with no idea what they're doing. This leads to the appearance that non-formulaic teams don't work, when it has much more to do with the psychology of the people making and using teams than the actual viability of the teams themselves.

Well, it hard for non weather teams to take specs hurricanes and hydro pumps and thunders. Playing against the rain without kingdra is extremely hard and I would say that rain definitely wins a majority of the time.

Well, it hard for non weather teams to take specs hurricanes and hydro pumps and thunders. Playing against the rain without kingdra is extremely hard and I would say that rain definitely wins a majority of the time.
Not really. I mean think about it for a second. Chansey walls all three of the things you mentioned by itself. Gastrodon is flat out immune to two of them. Jirachi and Heatran can take Hurricanes. Most of the Pokemon spamming hurricane and Thunder are vulnerable to revenge killing by Scizor, Mamoswine and other priority users. Specially defensive Skarmory can take hurricanes. Amoongus can take Hydro Pumps and Thunders with ease. Choiced attacks in general can be predicted and walled, especially Hydro Pump and Thunder which have common Pokemon that are immune to them. And that's just a few things I named off the top of my head, if I took the time I could think up of more. It's only "hard" to take those moves if you don't prepare for them.

I think a lot of people who look at weather and decide it is broken are just thinking about it incorrectly. They think of weather as some sort of separate entity, invading the metagame and forcing it to form around it. In truth, it's no different from any other metagame presence in this or any other generation. Rain abusing pokemon are just another set of threats that need to be prepared for, like any other Pokemon before them. Complaining that you can't beat rain without considering it in teambuilding is just as stupid as complaining that you couldn't win in generation 4 without considering stall when making your team. It's your own damn fault for not accounting for a part of the metagame, not the metagame's fault for not shaping itself to your will.

xenu

Banned deucer.
Not really. I mean think about it for a second. Chansey walls all three of the things you mentioned by itself. Gastrodon is flat out immune to two of them. Jirachi and Heatran can take Hurricanes.
in a nutshell: weather teams offensively neuter non-weathers, and pigeonhole them into one of a few variations of stall playstyles. the fact that a vast majority of non-weather teams are defense heavy is not a coincidence, it is a consequence of the popularity of weather.

in a nutshell: weather teams offensively neuter non-weathers, and pigeonhole them into one of a few variations of stall playstyles. the fact that a vast majority of non-weather teams are defense heavy is not a coincidence, it is a consequence of the popularity of weather.
How convenient that you only quoted the part where Jimera0 talked about walls and not the parts about revenge killers...

Offensive non-weather teams are still viable, you just need to be smart about it. Naturally, an offensive team doesn't usually have something that can switch into a LO Tornadus-T Hurricane over and over, but that could be said about a ton of non-weather threats as well (prime example: Haxorus). Did the introduction of Haxorus invalidate offensive play styles? No, of course not because it's easy to revenge kill. If you're trying to have a hard counter to every weather threat and you're using an offensive team, you're doing it wrong. Although if you want some offensive answers to weather, here you go. Jolteon laughs at Thunder and can switch into Hurricane once and KO the next turn. Celebi can take Hydro Pumps and Thunders all day. Hydreigon resists both Thunder and Hydro Pump. Kingdra 4x Resists Water and Fire, and can tank a Hurricane or Thunder as it sets up ( and outspeeds anyways with Swift Swim). Metagross can take Hurricanes and either set up Agility or just KO with Ice Punch/Stone Edge. Rotom-W resists Hurricane and Hydro Pump and threatens immediately with Volt Switch. Those are off the top of my head, I'm sure there are a lot more.

Honestly, stall teams have taken a hit more from the presence of threatening mixed sweepers (Keldeo breaks through the pink blobs easily, Hydreigon is impossible to switch into for everything that isn't Chansey, Mixmence is as much of a threat as ever to everything) than specifically weather. BW2 just added even more threats to the game, and stall teams have to adapt to a metagame that isn't as friendly to them as it used to be.

Honestly, stall teams have taken a hit more from the presence of threatening mixed sweepers (Keldeo breaks through the pink blobs easily, Hydreigon is impossible to switch into for everything that isn't Chansey, Mixmence is as much of a threat as ever to everything) than specifically weather. BW2 just added even more threats to the game, and stall teams have to adapt to a metagame that isn't as friendly to them as it used to be.
I definitely understand how hard it can be to stall in BW2 since I'm running a full-on Sand-Stall team right now. The only way I can really handle the aforementioned sweepers above is by making correct predictions and hoping residual damage or Perish Song count does those threats in; though, I do find that Jellicent and Bulky Starmie can wall Keldeo.

And I don't even want to talk about Sun teams should something like my ScarfTar get KOed too soon. It doesn't help that those teams also like running Dugtrio.

I believe Hail is very anti-metagame, in it's own way, therefore is also a good strategy. BW2 gave it SubRoost Kyurem, I think, for even more Hail stall. I still prefer the scarf varient.

And how could you count sand out? It's still a great weather, and benefits from the new Landorus-T as well.
I'm actually experimenting with Hail right now and I love it. Most people aren't prepared for it and while it certainly isn't naturally the most threatening weather, it is quite anti-meta. Also, people underestimate Kyurem.

On the topic of stall, I HAVE found stall harder to run this gen than last gen. Even with the introduction of new defensive toys like Eviolite and Ferrothorn, there's so many new offensive threats (Therians, Haxorus, Chandy (with Shadow Tag, it will be annoying as heck, Techniloom, etc) that it's hard for stall teams to keep up. Also, the rise in trapper usage does not make stall happy.

I have toyed with the idea of making a completly anti-weather team. I found the ability cloud nine to be really interesting. The ability to block the weather seems really useful. The pokemon that have this ability arent the best in the world. (Golduck, Altaria, Lickilicky) You can also put mamoswine on the team, possibly because it can use both hail and sand. Overcoat or Magic Coat may be possible options too. I dont know if this is a good idea. What do you think? I just wanted to try something new. I know this is not what you meant by non-weather teams.

I've found anti-weather to be pretty viable. I've been using an offensive team of Rotom-W, Scizor, Mamoswine, Espeon, Chandelure, and I've been switching between Breloom and Virizion. I'm not sure which one works better since I've had success with both but the grass and fighting types are a huge threat to weather teams and one of them feels mandatory to be threatening to inclement weather. With that team I've gotten to about 1750 on the ladder. I haven't tried any overcoat or cloud nine users, but I think having checks and counters to common weather abusers is more beneficial than negating it. I've done well against sand, sun, and rain (though rain is the most troublesome). The one type of weather I haven't gone up against is Hail, so I can't say how well my team performs there.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
i don't like weatherless teams. bw2 is completely focused around rain, with sun and sand also making appearances, meaning that if you're going to try to counter weather then there are a ton of threats you'll need to check...

or you could just run hyper offense, which in my mind is the best way to beat current weather teams. weather these days is centered around x-weather-abuser-sweep, such as tornadus-t, terrakion, venusaur, whatever. however, this also means that a lot of these teams lack extremely solid walls that can handle repeated offensive pressure knocking at their door. spamming a ton of set-up sweepers actually works rather well in this metagame. personally, i prefer lead aerodactyl hyper offense, as it's pretty much assured stealth rock since it's the fastest stealth rock setter in ou and can outspeed and 2hko both magic bounce pokemon with stone edge/rock slide. once you have rocks up, dual screen with mew/latios/latias/espeon and then bring out the big guns. personally, i think shell smash cloyster is particularly effective in this metagame, as most teams don't carry a super-speedy choice scarf user anymore, preferring their scarf thundurus-t (slower than +2 cloyster) and scarf genesect (slower than +2 cloyster). with dual screens and sr it's ridiculously easy to set up on something and pull off a convincing sweep.

and since we're talking a bit about cloud nine ability, i've got to say the best stoutland/sandslash counter out there remains scarf golduck.

i don't like weatherless teams. bw2 is completely focused around rain, with sun and sand also making appearances, meaning that if you're going to try to counter weather then there are a ton of threats you'll need to check...

or you could just run hyper offense, which in my mind is the best way to beat current weather teams. weather these days is centered around x-weather-abuser-sweep, such as tornadus-t, terrakion, venusaur, whatever. however, this also means that a lot of these teams lack extremely solid walls that can handle repeated offensive pressure knocking at their door. spamming a ton of set-up sweepers actually works rather well in this metagame. personally, i prefer lead aerodactyl hyper offense, as it's pretty much assured stealth rock since it's the fastest stealth rock setter in ou and can outspeed and 2hko both magic bounce pokemon with stone edge/rock slide. once you have rocks up, dual screen with mew/latios/latias/espeon and then bring out the big guns. personally, i think shell smash cloyster is particularly effective in this metagame, as most teams don't carry a super-speedy choice scarf user anymore, preferring their scarf thundurus-t (slower than +2 cloyster) and scarf genesect (slower than +2 cloyster). with dual screens and sr it's ridiculously easy to set up on something and pull off a convincing sweep.

and since we're talking a bit about cloud nine ability, i've got to say the best stoutland/sandslash counter out there remains scarf golduck.
Well I wouldn't call Golduck a "counter" to Stoutland since it can't switch in, and even if it could it's still mediocre (though using Golduck automatically makes you awesome).

It's awesome to see someone use Aerodactyl in today's metagame. Team preview may have hurt its viability as a lead, but even so it still gets SR up 99% of the time. Outspeeding and OHKOing Tornadus-T is awesome too if he somehow survives into mid/late game. But out of curiosity, why are you using him over Deoxys-D? Sure, there's a huge difference in Base Speed but I find Taunt to be fairly uncommon (rendering the Speed somewhat moot for a suicide lead) and the extra hazards Deoxys has access would help the setup sweepers .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)