Egypt's Fury

EGYPT'S FURY

NOTE: This is a modified version of my team. If some of the posts below do not make sense, it is probably because they were referring to a previous version.

So this is my OU Sandstorm team. So far, everyone here has been a huge help, and I cannot thank you all enough. The team I have right now works very well for me, but there are still a few Pokemon which I struggle with. In addition, I belive that any team can be improved, so I'm always open to suggestions. For the most part, I will try out anything someone here suggests and then see what I like best and stick with it.

The general idea that I've been rolling with is to play it safe until I have enough of an advantage to go for an all-out attack. I need to play more conservatively when I'm going off against another weather team, obviously, but in general I like to think of myself as a rather safe player. That being said, two major problems I have with this current team is the lack of a spinner and the fact that I have no Whirlwind / Roar users.

Any tips on how to either improve the team or improve my strategy with the team would be greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance :D

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock​

My lead. Usually, I will go for a stealth rock and then switch out. Other than setting up, Tyranitar is mostly used to wall Ghosts and Psychics. The only problem with this is that I cannot risk losing him against another weather team, so I'm a bit lacking against, say, a Rain Dance team with Gengar, Slowbro, etc. Of course, Gengar helps to counter these, but still, that means I need to conserver both Tyranitar and Gengar for that match. I realize this is all part of strategic play, but botherson nonetheless.

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Bulk Up​

Conkeldurr is my physical sweeper. Drain punch helped a lot with taking care of Ferrothorn, and STAB Mach Punch with Conkeldurr's huge Attack stat is godly. Once I get a Bulk Up, there's almost no stopping hijm, assuming I've taken care of his counters already. I considered going with Fight gem, but decided that I would be using Conkeldurr too much to rely on only 1 powered up attack. Maybe I'm wrong, if so feel free to correct me and explain why I'm wrong as I would greatly appreciate it.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SAtk / 148 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]​

I decided to drop Sub Magnezone and go for a more powerful attacker for my special sweeper. Magnezone hates Ground moves, but I have Landorus and Gengar to absorb those, so it's all good. Magnezone helps me take out such annoyances as Skarmory, Forretress, and Ferrothorn, as well as several Pokemon on a Rain Dance team. Volt switch helps a lot with getting an attack off on a foe that thinks it can OHKO me :D

Gengar @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball​

Ever since it was suggested to me, I started using Gengar, and quite frankly, I love him! He can disable something that happens to be tearing through my team with it's op STAB moves and either swap out or take care of certain enemies from behind a sub.

Landorus @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]​

Landorus helps absorb both Ground and Electric moves. U-Turn gets him out of there after he's done his job, but he can also deal with problems with his sand-powered STAB earthquake.

Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Thunderbolt​

Latias is a real trooper. If all my opponent has left is some special attackers, Latias is essentially invincible. Especially after a Calm Mind or two, most will be unable to deal near half of her damage, so recover becomes an infinite health source.

Major threats:

Metagross, after an agility, OHKOs nearly my entire team. I can hardly get anything off, especially if they have a balloon on. My best bet is to sac Latias to get the baloon off and then eq him, but I need a better solution.

Timid Alakazam outspeeds my entire team and OHKOs everyone except for Latias and Landorus. My best bet is to U-Turn with Landorus and Recover with Latias, hoping that sandstorm will eventually take him down. Any tips on modifications to either my team or my strategy to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Nice Sand Team! My only suggestion would be for your CB Scizor: U-turn>BugBite to make it into a powerful. It also makes it hard to counter Scizor as it cycles through the opposing team. So far it's all I see fit to suggest. Good luck w/ the team. :)

Also, try using a more bulky set on Gastrodon.

Gastrodon@Leftovers; StormDrain
Calm: 252 Hp/ 200 SpDef/ 56 Def
Scald, HP(Grass)/Toxic, EarthPower & Recover

Also, for Magnezone: HP(Fire)>HP(Ice) to trap Steel types like Jirachi & Scizor.

This is an interesting team to say the least.
--------
To help with Mence you can use a Timid Scarf Magneton to outspeed Adamant ones or just come in on Jolly ones stuck on Outrage. This also helps with DNite. Scarf Gastrodon is... Just don't use it. It doesn't even break 300 speed with a Scarf. To help with Rain you could use a Specs set with Storm Drain. You may be able to do a bit better with a Hippowdon > TTar if your just letting it die. Hippo has reliable recovery, and can still set up rocks. A physically defensive variant would help with Mence and Mienshao as well as countless other threats, while a SpD set would help with things like Tornadus-T and friends.
--------
Good luck with the Team.

Nice Sand Team! My only suggestion would be for your CB Scizor: U-turn>BugBite to make it into a powerful. It also makes it hard to counter Scizor as it cycles through the opposing team. So far it's all I see fit to suggest. Good luck w/ the team. :)

Also, try using a more bulky set on Gastrodon.

Gastrodon@Leftovers; StormDrain
Calm: 252 Hp/ 200 SpDef/ 56 Def
Scald, HP(Grass)/Toxic, EarthPower & Recover
Thanks I'll try that Gastrodon set. The only qualms I have with u-turn are that it makes me switch out and that it's weaker (technician), but I suppose that's really not so much a bad thing as a good thing.

This is an interesting team to say the least.
--------
To help with Mence you can use a Timid Scarf Magneton to outspeed Adamant ones or just come in on Jolly ones stuck on Outrage. This also helps with DNite. Scarf Gastrodon is... Just don't use it. It doesn't even break 300 speed with a Scarf. To help with Rain you could use a Specs set with Storm Drain. You may be able to do a bit better with a Hippowdon > TTar if your just letting it die. Hippo has reliable recovery, and can still set up rocks. A physically defensive variant would help with Mence and Mienshao as well as countless other threats, while a SpD set would help with things like Tornadus-T and friends.
--------
Good luck with the Team.
I had considered Hippowdon to replace Tyranitar before, I can't quite remember why I switched, come to think of it. I'll play a few games with Hippowdon to see how it goes.

Thanks for the input, and more comments / criticism is always welcome.

Hello Monkeytherat :) Your team is very interesting! Some of your Pokemon's sets are pretty weird haha, especially Gastrodon...I don't think I've ever seen a Scarfed one before! I have some recommendations to make:

*For Magnezone, you should replace HP Ice with HP Fire. HP Ice is really only going to be used against dragons, and you'll have to hit them on the switch, as they're all faster than you and can take you out. It's not particularly useful, however HP Fire is. Hidden Power Fire allows you to take out troublesome steel type Pokemon that can't switch out thanks to Magnet Pull. You'll be able to deal with Ferrothorn, Scizor, etc. a LOT easier.

*For Scizor, you want to replace Bug Bite with U-Turn. Honestly U-Turn is Scizor's most useful move, even more than Bullet Punch. It allows you to scout and keep momentum against the opponent, and it still hits like a truck with Choice Band. U-Turn really is superior to Bug Bite in every way on a choice set, so I highly recommend you switch to it.

*Next up is Gliscor. With Lucario already filling the role of a powerful boosting physical sweeper, I'm not sure how useful Gliscor is. There's so much many threats that scare him away or that can flat out take him out, I don't see him as being very necessary. I think you should replace Gliscor with a Choice Scarf Landorus, one of my favorite Pokemon!

Landorus @ Choice Scarf
Sand Force
Naive/Hasty
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-U-turn
-HP Ice

Landorus has a very unique base speed of 101, allowing him to barley outspeed all Dragon Dancing Dragons, such as Salamence, Dragonite, and Haxorus, which give you trouble. This allows you to take them out with ease with an HP Ice. U-Turn allows you to again keep momentum, and you develop a great little scouting party with him and Scizor. Earthquake and Stone Edge are for coverage, powerful moves allowing you to take out DD Gyarados, Volcarona, etc...all big threats if they manage to set up. Landorus has the same type as Gliscor, so you shouldn't miss his nice set of resistances/immunities.

*Next, I highly recommend you replace Scarf Gastrodon. Lol, Gastrodon is SO slow, he barley outspeeds anything even with Choice Scarf. Also, Gastrodon isn't particularly strong enough to really damage anything, even with a boost from Storm Drain. I recommend you switch Gastrodon for a bulky Latias.

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Dragon Pulse
-Thunderbolt

Latias works great with the rest of your team. It has awesome type synergy with your steel type members and Tyranitar, allowing it to switch in very easily. Lucario and Scizor help dent Latias counters, and Magnezone traps pesky steel types that harass Latias. In return, Latias can help eliminate troublesome Pokemon for your Lucario, such as Jellicent. Latias is great against Rain teams, it can set up against a good number of guys on them and proceed to cause massive damage. Dragon Pulse and Thunderbolt provide great coverage, and allows you to be a very effective threat against the Rain teams you have trouble with.

That's what I have to say for now, hope I helped! :)

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

You've got some weird sets here, and though they might seem to work, there are better options. Fighting types plow through your team, and strong Psychic/Ghost types also deal heavy damage. Here are some ideas to help:

Replace Scizor with Choice Scarf Terrakion. Scizor/Tyranitar/Lucario is a bit redundant; and Scizor should certainly not be used to kill other Scizors (if you can kill them, can't they kill you?) Terrakion, on the other hand, can plow through teams like nothing, and requires little team support to sweep. Terrakion's speed and power will also help you deal with Salamence and Mienshao, both of who are OHKO'd by one of it's STABs.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
~Close Combat
~Stone Edge
~X-Scissor
~Quick Attack

Terrakion's strong STABs can KO a lot of weakened pokemon, including the Therians, Dragons, and frail pokemon such as Dugtrio. Close Combat makes short work of Steel types, though Magnezone can do it way better.

Speaking of Magnezone, it needs some changes. It needs HP Fire and Thunderbolt instead of Flash Cannon and HP Ice. HP Fire allows Magnezone to do what it does best- KO steel types- and Tbolt hits many water/flying types really hard.

Finally, is Tyranitar. It should be changed into SpDef Ttar, one of the best trappers of psychic types on the tier. In the sand, Ttar because as specially bulky as Blissey, and it still maintains it's humongous power.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Careful nature
~Stealth Rock
~Pursuit
~Crunch
~Stone Edge

Tyranitar erases Pyschic/Ghost types from your list of threats with Prusuit and Crunch. Stone Edge+Chople Berry allows you to take a Focus Blast from Tornadus and OHKO back with Stone Edge.

That's it for now. Good luck!

I've tried out some combos of you guys' suggestions, and I found one that is working out well, but I'm finding Ferrothorn to be impossible to kill.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Punch
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Landorus @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

I've tried out some combos of you guys' suggestions, and I found one that is working out well, but I'm finding Ferrothorn to be impossible to kill.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Punch
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Landorus @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
Hmm I don't think you need both Scarf Landorus and Scarf Terrakion. In my opinion I think you should still keep Scizor over the Terrakion. Terrakion has almost the same role as Landorus, however gives you another fighting weakness. Plus Scizor and his U-Turn and powerful priority as well as ability to trap Pokemon with Pursuit makes him work better with Latias.

Hmm I don't think you need both Scarf Landorus and Scarf Terrakion. In my opinion I think you should still keep Scizor over the Terrakion. Terrakion has almost the same role as Landorus, however gives you another fighting weakness. Plus Scizor and his U-Turn and powerful priority as well as ability to trap Pokemon with Pursuit makes him work better with Latias.
Perhaps I could, but I don't think it's a great idea to get rid of my only ground type, especially when I only have 1 other Pokemon with a ground type attack. Landorus uses U-Turn perfectly fine for me, but I can see how Pursuit on something other than Tyranitar could be useful. I'll try it out and see what works.

Ok, I would suggest getting rid of terrakion. You already have a pokemon with choice scarf and he only compounds the fighting and ground weakness on your team. I would suggest replacing Terrakion with Gengar. Gengar carries an immunity to both fighting and ground and can do many things. He can run a sub/disable set to annoy the crap out of everything on the face of the earth. He can also use a life orb set for coverage and the ability to hit hard. He can also use choice specs and expert belt sets. It also provides a good resist to Virizion's STAB combination. Virizion poses a huge threat as its STAB combination plus hidden power ice hits all of your pokemon super effectively.

*Troll Face*

There are a couple of sets I would like to suggest to you.

Gengar @Leftovers
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP | Timid | Levitate
~Shadow Ball
~Focus Blast
~Substitute
~Disable

Ah, the handy sub/disable set. It achieves perfect coverage through shadow ball and focus blast and the ability to shut down mono-attacking move pokemon and annoy the crap out of everything in existence.

Gengar @Life Orb / Expert Belt / Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP | Timid | Levitate
~Shadow Ball
~Focus Blast
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire / Giga Drain / Substitute

This is the offensive version of Gengar, and can be very powerful before doing anything. Again, shadow ball and focus blast achieve perfect coverage. Thunderbolt hits water types super effectively, a type which sand teams struggle with. Hidden Power Ice hits dragons. Hidden Power Fire hits Scizor, Forretress, and Ferrothorn quite hard and can be used when you're worried about focus blast's shaky accuracy. Don't ask me what would compel you to put giga drain on a gengar set, but I have seen it used decently before. Substitute is for absorbing status and weak moves.

I would also suggest replacing lucario with infernape or conkeldurr. Lucario leaves your team surprisingly weak to virizion, scarf terrakion, and other lucarios. Conkeldurr can easily scare away terrakion and lucario as well as being a tank with his bulk up set and strong physical defense and hp. Infernape can leave an offensive mark with a physical or special set of your choice. While Infernape acts as more of a specialized check and offensive menace, Conkeldurr is more of a bulky tank who can take hits and give them back.

Infernape @Life Orb / Expert Belt / Choice Band / Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Def | Jolly | Blaze / Iron Fist
~Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
~Close Combat
~Thunderpunch / Stone Edge / Mach Punch
~Stone Edge / Mach Punch / U-turn / Swords Dance

This is a physical Infernape set. Flare blitz or fire punch depends on power vs. health. Close Combat is used to whack stuff in the face. Thunderpunch can be used to hit water types. Stone Edge can be used to hit gyarados and dragonite. Mach Punch can be used for priority. U-turn can be used on choice sets for scouting purposes. Swords Dance can be used if you want to turn him into a boosting sweeper like lucario.

Infernape @Life Orb / Expert Belt / Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Def | Timid | Blaze
~Fire Blast / Overheat
~Focus Blast
~Vacuum Wave / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ice
~Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ice / Nasty Plot / U-Turn

This is just like the physical set, except special. Fire Blast or overheat for STAB. Focus Blast is his most powerful special STAB. Vacuum Wave gives priority. Grass Knot can hit water types. Hidden Power Ice can hit dragons. Nasty Plot can be used as a special boosting sweeper. U-Turn can be used on choice sets for scouting purposes.

Infernape @Life Orb / Expert Belt / Choice Scarf
EVs: 108 Atk, 148 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed | Naive | Blaze
~Overheat / Fire Blast / Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
~Close Combat / Focus Blast
~Mach Punch / Vacuum Wave / Stone Edge / Grass Knot
~Hidden Power Ice / Thunderpunch / Work Up / U-Turn

Basically the same as the other two sets, except you can mix and match moves from the different sets on one set.

Infernape has such a wide movepool and different ev spreads that you shouldn't be confined by what I have said here. In fact, I implore you to use the damage calculator and other tools to find what specific style of infernape works best for you.

Conkeldurr @Leftovers / Fight Gem / Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Sp. Def | Adamant | Guts
~Drain Punch
~Mach Punch
~Stone Edge / Payback
~Bulk Up

This is Conkeldurr's flagship bulk up set. All of this is pretty self explanatory. Drain Punch for STAB and health regen. Mach Punch for STAB. Stone Edge for flying types or Payback for ghost and psychic types.

The team as I see it after these changes.

Or

I know this is a humongous post, but I like the fact I helped your team more by putting in extra effort.

Hope this helps!

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Latias should definitely carry a substitute. it's quite capable of 6-0'g an opponent's team especially with Magnezone supporting it by killing off skarmory, scizor, ferrothorn and other steels that may prevent it from sweeping. With Calm Minds and substitute preventing it from getting status and helping you avoid crits, it can definitely sweep opposing teams.

I would also replace conkelderr with a starmie. The only way your opponent will be able to get spikes on the field is if they have a shed shell Steel or a non steel spiker (which is rare in OU). Starmie helps get rid of hazards on your opponent's side of the field and is bait for tyranitar to come in. Once Tyranitar is weakened enough you can easily just bring in latias and start setting up. it does make your team more vulnerable to sscizor, but it will never go for pursuit if it does carry it because magnezone is on your team.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Recover
-Rapid Spin

In addition you have very little to take U-turn and repeated bullet punches, so I would give Magnezone leftovers and make it a bit more bulky.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

You can change or edit the moveset however you want. You outspeed Heatran by a few points and still have max spatk.

Hey there nice team!

It seems to me that if you are running scarf on Magnezone you man aswell go with Scarf Magneton>Magnezone Because with a scarf Magneton outspeeds Torndaus-T something that Scarf Magnezone can only dream of doing. Magneton also fufills the same role of being able to trap steels and with Tyranitar in your team preventing your opponent from getting rain up Magnetons lower speciall attack wont even be a problem when it is encountering steels.

If you decide to go with Magneton your team will have an effective revenge killer and wont need another scarfer in Landorous that is why I suggest Expert Belt>Choice Scarf On Landorous. This makes Landorous a great pokemon to soften up Speciall walls that prove trouble some to Latias and Gengar like Blissey as well as make Landorous able to bluff a Choice item effectivly by spamming U-turn.

Also with Magneton/Magnezone your team has no trouble with Gyarados so Ice Punch>Stone Edge can be used on Conkeldurr. This helps you against Scarf Salamence who could do a number on your team seeing as your only dragon resist is smacked hard with Earthqauke, but it is not just Salamence Ice Punch is for it is just an overall better move for Dragons.

Good luck with your team i hope i helped!

Sets

Magneton @ Choice Scarf | Magnet Pull
Timid | 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Volt Switch | Thunderbolt| Flash Cannon | Hidden Power [Fire]

tl:dr

Magneton--->Magnezone

Landorous
.Expert Blet--->Choice Scarf

Conkeldurr
.Ice Punch--->Stone Edge

~Superpowerdude

I would suggest keeping conkeldurr but changing magnezone to a more bulky set like chimpakt suggested. Landorus does just fine as a revenge killer and one of your only scarf salamence checks as well as having the ability to revenge kill +1 gyarados with stone edge. Magnezone would like to take advantage of his steel typing as much as possible because he doesn't need to revenge kill, and a bulky set is the best way to do it.

Also, I would suggest keeping conkeldurr and gengar. I personally don't think starmie adds very much to the team.

I look at it this way:

Stealth Rock: no weaknesses, 1 resistance

Spikes: 3 immunities

Toxic Spikes: 4 immunities + conkeldurr who gains a net profit from them.

If you put him there for the water typing, there are probably better choices such as rotom-w and gastrodon.

I would suggest keeping conkeldurr but changing magnezone to a more bulky set like chimpakt suggested. Landorus does just fine as a revenge killer and one of your only scarf salamence checks as well as having the ability to revenge kill +1 gyarados with stone edge. Magnezone would like to take advantage of his steel typing as much as possible because he doesn't need to revenge kill, and a bulky set is the best way to do it.

Also, I would suggest keeping conkeldurr and gengar. I personally don't think starmie adds very much to the team.

I look at it this way:

Stealth Rock: no weaknesses, 1 resistance

Spikes: 3 immunities

Toxic Spikes: 4 immunities + conkeldurr who gains a net profit from them.

If you put him there for the water typing, there are probably better choices such as rotom-w and gastrodon.
Yeah, I switched back to Conkeldurr after a little bit. Starmie wasn't really working out. Any suggestions on how to deal with Alakazam?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)