VGC '12 World Championships - Kona, HI, USA - WON by BlueCookies & Dimsun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on threepeating, Bluecookies!

I hope that people are writing a lot of warstories right now; it's been a poor warstory year... (Quantity-wise)

CC was a misclick apparently, though Chople was still available.

Also yes, it's freezing in all the buildings here. I was shivering during LCQ and it wasnt much better during Swiss. Though honestly Ray you couldnt find anything nicer to wear on stage...?

lol ray wearing sweater + shorts + flip flops.

;p

those were some really good games. that second match with wolfe v ray was especially interesting in the beginning. also 3 crits in one game? wat

I agree, that Ttar is what cost him the match. Maybe Wolfe wouldn't have won even if Ttar was out of the game, but it would've helped him a lot. Maybe he predicted Hydreigon to come in?

Congrats Ray! Threepeat is amazing!

Congrats Wolfe, 2nd place at Worlds is pretty impressive too.
That tyranitar was the only threat to his heatran. It is really unfortunate that he didn't kill it. But it is an understandable mistake at that game state since it was such an obvious move. If he cc on tyranitar that game would have been wolfe's 100%

Next year, I'll make sure Ray doesn't 4-peat.
I'll also be competing.

So this Ray guy is pretty good at pokemon.

Congrats on the 3-peat!

Congrats to Dimsun as well! See you in masters next year!

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Congrats to the winners.

So apparently, Pokémon is a luck based game in which Ray Rizzo always wins.

That being said, although he only had to win like 9 matches, it still makes it seem like everyone else is really bad at this game...

Anyway, really incredible achievement there. Hope you all had a nice time in Hawaii.

Soon after the event, some of the top players and their Pokémon teams will be selected and distributed via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection into the upcoming Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokémon White Version 2 video games (launching in the U.S. October 7).
You’ll then be able to play against these teams in a new feature called the Pokémon World Tournament!
Battle and practice against them to see what it takes to play and be a Champion in the Pokémon World Championships next year.
This is from the Pokemon world championship site..

Does this mean that the smogonites that completely rocked this years worlds will be immortalized in the new games???
Thats reason enough to try and make it, thats awesome!!
Im hoping to see Wolfe's Eggsecutor!

DUMBSUN <3

you didnt let the haters get you down little man congrats

pretty sure you dont have any haters but still its impressive

My impressions:

-Ray Rizzo: He's already a legend. He´s in a level above the rest of players. You must be special for be able to win 3 consecutive World Cups.

-USA: The great powerhouse. Except repray (who has fallen in the final), NOBODY has been able to beat USA players. They have the best organization, they are the center of the game and you can see it.
-Japan and Korea: They aren't anymore the invincible asians, having lost their power to USA. Little representation and almost everybody was eliminated in the swiss round. But there are still leftovers of their power: Yamamoto was the only player in the WC who was able to put Ray Rizzo under pressure.
-Europe in general: The great dissapointment. Spanish aparts, nobody was able to do something great in the World Cup. Europe is now below America. The german, english, italian and french players were unnoticed in the WC, a pity.
-Spain in particular: The European powerhouse. Spanish players have been the only european players who have been noticed in the World Cup. Spain has improved since last year (Repray in final in Seniors, Flash being the number 3 of the World), but still needs to do the last step to threaten USA supremacy.

I was really hoping to see Canada make it further, but with worlds being on our turf next year, I'm really looking forward to seeing what we can put out to impress you all! I know I'll be there!

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
-Europe in general: The great dissapointment. Spanish aparts, nobody was able to do something great in the World Cup. Europe is now below America. The german, english, italian and french players were unnoticed in the WC, a pity.
From the Europeans I caught on the streams the problem was pretty evident - Europe was stuck in a metagame that existed back in march/april during our nationals. People were using teams that they used 5 months before Worlds, and if they were using a new teams they didn't really match up to the worlds metagame. Congratulations to all the Europeans that made top 8 and the ones who just missed out but looking at the results of the swiss day, the bottom of the table is densely populated by us and it's just a shame.

Then we can make the obligatory 'Europe has a terrible format' argument, something that is outdated and should have been scrapped a long time ago. They way you look at USA Nats and the set up there, it's pretty much the best way to sieve the talent and make sure the cream of the crop get to the Worlds stages. Our Nationals are all about luck at the end of the day and nobody can really argue any differently, and I hate to be the guy who says this but we didn't get the best of our country out there. Plain and simple. The ones who did deserve to be out there like Bharmalm sadly got 'pokemoned'. Fact of life.

Either way, massive congratulations to Ray, Dimsun and everyone else who made it spectacularly far. You guys are truly the best to play this game, and maybe one day we'll see a different continent be as dominant as the USA but right now i'm not holding my breath.

From the Europeans I caught on the streams the problem was pretty evident - Europe was stuck in a metagame that existed back in march/april during our nationals. People were using teams that they used 5 months before Worlds, and if they were using a new teams they didn't really match up to the worlds metagame. Congratulations to all the Europeans that made top 8 and the ones who just missed out but looking at the results of the swiss day, the bottom of the table is densely populated by us and it's just a shame.

Then we can make the obligatory 'Europe has a terrible format' argument, something that is outdated and should have been scrapped a long time ago. They way you look at USA Nats and the set up there, it's pretty much the best way to sieve the talent and make sure the cream of the crop get to the Worlds stages. Our Nationals are all about luck at the end of the day and nobody can really argue any differently, and I hate to be the guy who says this but we didn't get the best of our country out there. Plain and simple.

Either way, massive congratulations to Ray, Dimsun and everyone else who made it spectacularly far. You guys are truly the best to play this game, and maybe one day we'll see a different continent be as dominant as the USA but right now i'm not holding my breath.
i agree with the gec

Then we can make the obligatory 'Europe has a terrible format' argument, something that is outdated and should have been scrapped a long time ago. They way you look at USA Nats and the set up there, it's pretty much the best way to sieve the talent and make sure the cream of the crop get to the Worlds stages. Our Nationals are all about luck at the end of the day and nobody can really argue any differently, and I hate to be the guy who says this but we didn't get the best of our country out there. Plain and simple. The ones who did deserve to be out there like Bharmalm sadly got 'pokemoned'. Fact of life.

lol rofl

Its a shame that bharmalm got bullshitted out of the top cut of seniors so fucking hard, but thats this shit game I guess. To be honest though, some people from the UK still exceeded expectations; Pokerob somehow managed to not lose the round where he got a bye.

Anyway, congrats to Ray and Dimsun.

I'd like to spotlight a couple of facts:

Firstly, VGC 2012 worlds had a clear majority of europeans and thus it's obvious that the bottom of the charts is going to be full of them. Plus competitors from other places are way more selected (regionals and nats) whereas europeans can get a lucky qualify or be eliminated by sheer luck; so as to speak how do wolfey, bluecookies and mangosol compare to the top 3 players in europe? I'd say pretty even. Take for instance RubeNCB, Drugduck and Kasty.

Secondly, I helped some of my friends prepare worlds and we were perfectly aware of the new metagame changes, so people that played their old teams only have themselves to blame for being lazy and not wanting to adapt.

Anyway congratulations to everyone, and good job Ray on taking it a third time.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to spotlight a couple of facts:

Firstly, VGC 2012 worlds had a clear majority of europeans and thus it's obvious that the bottom of the charts is going to be full of them. Plus competitors from other places are way more selected (regionals and nats) whereas europeans can get a lucky qualify or be eliminated by sheer luck; so as to speak how do wolfey, bluecookies and mangosol compare to the top 3 players in europe? I'd say pretty even. Take for instance RubeNCB, Drugduck and Kasty.

Secondly, I helped some of my friends prepare worlds and we were perfectly aware of the new metagame changes, so people that played their old teams only have themselves to blame for being lazy and not wanting to adapt.

Anyway congratulations to everyone, and good job Ray on taking it a third time.
Yeah I get that Europeans made up the majority of the worlds competitors and to a certaine extent it was natural for them to plague the bottom of the charts, but you'd also hope/think that they'd equally take up a majority of the top of the charts. Perhaps its just my logic here but either way, its still true.

I agree with what you said about lucky qualifying and getting lucked out of the competition and that is a problem that will always be with European VGC events unless they change the format drastically. I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say the people who were too lazy to change up their teams from the nats to worlds transition simply wasted a trip and invite that could have been given to someone else more deserving. This all boils down to the european format problem sadly but what can you do.

It's something I've always thought. One advantage USA has is that USA players thanks to Smogon are an unite and strong community, while in Europe that unity sensation doesn't exist.

European players (ALL; spanish, french, german, english and italians) should join forces for 2013; I think European chances of doing something great in VCG would improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)